Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we thinking the rear suspension will be multi-link? I have feeling they will continue with the same rear suspension but with a few more strengthened parts and hopefully be rid of that rear toe issue.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds nothing like any current NA Porsche engine - sounds turbo 4 to me.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Sounds like a loud Turbo.
agreed. If it’s NA, it’s the worst sounding NA motor in history,
Old 04-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I was wondering, what are your thoughts about the GT4CS rear suspension vs. the GT3 cup rear suspension, from the driver's seat? (performance and feel)

(toe and camber curves are objectively better in the GT3, but I personally think for the street cars, the difference in feel and performance because of the suspension design isn't large and most of the feel difference is the weight distribution, differences in the differential, and of course RWS.)
You want to ask about street cars or the race cars?

For the race cars, the rear suspensions. Good question. I never really think about them to be honest. One is rear engine and one is mid-eninge, I drive them differently so it isn't a apple to apple comparison. Neither has RWS and for rotating the car it's more about trail braking. I can trail much deeper in the Cup car, if I do the same in the ClubSport I will be looking in incoming traffic for sure.

Both are very adjustable (My ClubSport is the MR version so it has adjustable KW shocks), one can tune in whatever one feels like in either car.

But in 'stock' settings, as in the recommended starting point by Porsche, the GT4CS is extremely forgiving, especially for a mid-engine car, it's really tough to get it out of shape. Not the fastest setup, but a great stepping stone for one to gain confidence before starting to mess with the settings. First thing everyone does is dial out the understeer, personally I do it by stiffening the rear sway bar, and changed the dampers settings.

Cup car is rear engined, and I am used to driving 911s more than anything else, so it's very intuitive for me, the throttle plays a bigger role in moving weight around to load unload the car that's for sure. For the Cup car, I actually start messing with the front first to dial out the understeer, giving it a bit of toe out for a more aggressive turn in to help rotate the car.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:55 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Sure sounds like a turbo to me.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:55 AM
RRDnA
Banned

NA flat six with large diameter pipes and PDK
Old 04-28-2018, 09:47 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Would have to be 4 1 liter bottles.
I know. I wasn't able to find a 4 pack of 1 liter bottles so this was the next best thing.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The GT4CS is night and day better than the GT4 street car with the full Cup car front clip. Then there is the PDK box. It is actually a very very fast car. Yes it's not a street car but it is faster than most street car on the track. I lapped about 2 seconds a lap faster in my GT4CS than my 918 on my track. Granted I was pushing the GT4CS 100% and not in the 918, but still, even if I push the 918 I won't pick up 2 seconds.

The only time one feel there is lack of power in the GT4CS is half way down the straights. For comparison, a 991.2 Cup car laps about 6 seconds faster than the GT4CS on my track. A good lap in a Cup car is around 2:03.
First off I am jealous you have a 918.

Second off that's great info and good to know!

Third still the CS does not interest me - mainly because I won't be able to afford it and also it's not street legal! But it's still hard for me to digest the fact an AMG or McLaren GT4 will get beat by the current gen CS!! I mean wow if that's true.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:10 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by RRDnA
NA flat six with large diameter pipes and PDK
Yep I fired up JBL desktop speakers and now watching the clip of the car around Monza and no doubt now in my mind it's a turbo motor. Sounds good for a turbo though! And ah that PDK. Please put a PDK in the street car Porsche. Spyder and GT4!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
First off I am jealous you have a 918.

But it's still hard for me to digest the fact an AMG or McLaren GT4 will get beat by the current gen CS!! I mean wow if that's true.
Watch the IMSA Continental series.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Gatte
Instructor

What turbo engine in Porsche’s current lineup does that sound like ??

It’s clearly a six cylinder. However, the motor in the carrera s does not sound like that and neither does it sound like the 991 GTS.

I agree that it does not sound like the 981 GT4 either but I cannot hear the turbos spooling up which I should be able to hear on a turbo car.

Can someone tell me why they think this is a turbo motor and not a NA motor with the sound modified to suit new sound regulations ??
Old 04-28-2018, 12:14 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Whoopsy was kind enough to provide details of it being a NA 4.0 6. I'll bat on his team
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

The sound seems to be of a different pitch which is making me think it's a turbo. Also I think in the F1 days when Senna was racing and such I don't think I recall seeing videos where I could hear the turbos cause the motor was just so loud in general. That's what this reminds me of. I actually like this sound but I like the sound of my Spyder better. Seems somehow rather unrestricted - more angrier sounding. This sounds the business but somehow it sounds a bit more like the sound is coming from the exhaust and not really the motor? Make sense? More farty sounding I guess.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:28 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Whoopsy was kind enough to provide details of it being a NA 4.0 6. I'll bat on his team
Same. Not really sure why so many people think it sounds turbo...sounds naturally aspirated to me. Only whistle I hear is from the brakes.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Same. Not really sure why so many people think it sounds turbo...sounds naturally aspirated to me. Only whistle I hear is from the brakes.
Exactly. The whistling we hear on deceleration is the brakes. I don’t hear anything else that points to a turbo.

Compare that with the RSR and we clearly hear the turbo on that.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?