Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
It would have to use an air to water intercooler like the 718 uses now, that's the only option. I don't know where they would put the turbos but that is something that is never going to be impossible but rather a matter of how much effort and money they assign to this issue.

Why would they do that when they already have a turbo engine they could use (the 4 pot) or the NA 6 which we were all expecting? I have no answer for that, but I could think of possible reasons. Like their understanding that if they want to raise the Spyder and GT4 over the numerous versions of the 718 they already have, it needs to be an H6. And maybe they really don't have an NA engine yet that they can use due to new emission regs. Again I don't want to read too much into Preuninger's words and intonation (he can say whatever, anyway) but I did not get the impression that the work related to getting the NA engine compliant with emission regs was going to be completed very soon. If they want to launch these cars this year still, they might simply not have anything else available than the 3.0TT that (kind of) ticks the necessary boxes.

With the 981s it was "easy" in that they could just put the 3.8L engine in there which automatically put them on another level to the regular cars. It's not quite as simple this time around. But either way whatever engine the Spyder/GT4 use will have no meaning for the next gen engine for the regular models. They will stay 4 cyl, go hybrid, or be discontinued altogether in the future.
I vote this best post on the entire thread.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:00 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
With your forum name I can understand that you prefer luxury and comfort while driving and therefore accept your personal choice of a 4 seater.

lol. Touché. I’m a fan of four doors. 5 is even better. Panamera Sport Turismo ftw!

actually I like simplicity so I prefer NA but if they made a 6 cyl turbo GT4 it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Porsche would still sell lots of those cars because they would be fast in many ways.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajw45
I have a GT4. It is awesome. The 718 GT4 will be even more awesome and probably na 4l. I will keep my 981 and it will still be awesome.

But the speculation is fun. More fun than talking about ADMs and allocations which will come soon enough. That won't be fun.
AMEN!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
100% agree. The dealer I'm at locally, I'm in the top half on the list of those 8 allocations (for the 981). It's also where I bought my M2 (their sister dealership). They are an MSRP dealer and I don't expect to be bumped for various reasons. Like I said, if push comes to shove, I'll look at an ADM even though I obviously don't want to do that. I suppose I should get on a couple more lists but dealers usually favor in state/local buyers so it seems like a waste of everyone's time and free loan money. Might make a few calls soon to some Midwest dealers.
I’ve purchased 8 cars in the past 5 years from the local auto group.... I still couldn’t get a GT3 allocation.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

I’ve purchased 8 cars in the past 5 years from the local auto group.... I still couldn’t get a GT3 allocation.
Yikes. Hopefully the GT4 doesn't go like that, though I do know that GT3s are much harder to get allocations for. The SA at the dealer didn't seem too troubled but obviously they will do anything to get my deposit so....
Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this whole allocation dealiyo depends on the location the dealership is in. Of course I could be talking about my *** but for the next gen Spyder my guy who I bought the Spyder from pretty much told me in an email communication since I already have a Spyder I will automatically get first dibs. Maybe he was just placating my concerns!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:34 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by getoffmylawn
Surprised nobody has talked about the burble farting noises on the spyder mule, thats signature turbo. Not a fan of that ridiculous synthetic ricer tune. My buddies new M3 zcp sounds like chinese new year
Man, I fully agree with you! I can't stand fake burbles. That's the worst sound of all, regardless of induction system.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:54 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Where are you located?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:24 AM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
It would have to use an air to water intercooler like the 718 uses now, that's the only option. I don't know where they would put the turbos but that is something that is never going to be impossible but rather a matter of how much effort and money they assign to this issue.

Why would they do that when they already have a turbo engine they could use (the 4 pot) or the NA 6 which we were all expecting? I have no answer for that, but I could think of possible reasons. Like their understanding that if they want to raise the Spyder and GT4 over the numerous versions of the 718 they already have, it needs to be an H6. And maybe they really don't have an NA engine yet that they can use due to new emission regs. Again I don't want to read too much into Preuninger's words and intonation (he can say whatever, anyway) but I did not get the impression that the work related to getting the NA engine compliant with emission regs was going to be completed very soon. If they want to launch these cars this year still, they might simply not have anything else available than the 3.0TT that (kind of) ticks the necessary boxes.

With the 981s it was "easy" in that they could just put the 3.8L engine in there which automatically put them on another level to the regular cars. It's not quite as simple this time around. But either way whatever engine the Spyder/GT4 use will have no meaning for the next gen engine for the regular models. They will stay 4 cyl, go hybrid, or be discontinued altogether in the future.
Thank you for your response. It is good to know the reasoning behind your thoughts!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buteo

Where are you located?

Near Raleigh, NC

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Yikes. Hopefully the GT4 doesn't go like that, though I do know that GT3s are much harder to get allocations for. The SA at the dealer didn't seem too troubled but obviously they will do anything to get my deposit so....
I wasn’t willing to go over MSRP... and dealer claims they were MSRP only. My wife and I planned on taking Euro Delivery and all that, so it left a bad taste in my mouth considering I have purchased a lot of cars. Another GT3 sob story
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autocar UK stating that a Cayman R is coming out with a 414 HP 3.0 litre turbo engine from the Carrera.

This was in the M2 Competition article stating that a future M2 CSL will be expected to go up against the Cayman R.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatte
Autocar UK stating that a Cayman R is coming out with a 414 HP 3.0 litre turbo engine from the Carrera.

This was in the M2 Competition article stating that a future M2 CSL will be expected to go up against the Cayman R.
a cayman R with 414hp 3.0L turbo engine would be pretty quick. Probably quicker then a 450hp 4.0L NA GT4.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a cayman R with 414hp 3.0L turbo engine would be pretty quick. Probably quicker then a 450hp 4.0L NA GT4.
If a Cayman R shows up would that mean the GT4 will still be on top of the pile and would that be confirmation then a turbo 6 is in order for the GT4? And also a Cayman R kind of does not make sense anymore because once the cars go turbocharged the hierarchy gets a bit muddled no? I mean a 3 liter turbo 6 can easily push 500 hp. So what would that entail for the GT4 then if that 3 Liter motor goes in the R? I don't think that makes sense but either way time will tell.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:50 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Despite what Autocar says, I will stick with my prediction that there will be a new GT4 and it will be a turbo 4 but with either 2.7 or 3.0l capacity achieved by either bigger bores or even a new crank (which would work OK economically with a +5000 prod run). Both the engine sizes have Porsche history with of course the 3.0L 968 CS being a 4 cyl marker. It would run 420 to 450 bhp and have excellent torque. Easy to manufacture on existing 718 body assembly line and cheap to do it to keep price where it currently is (plus a small increase of course)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:56 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be pretty funny if we spent all this time speculating about the new GT4 and Porsche ditches the name and releases a Cayman R instead. ������

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?