Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
LOL

Also this was posted in other threads/forums re:spyder:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...yder-im-video/

Right at 1 minute, that sounds like the howl we know and love. The rest of it is bassy but that is quite different. You can tell a bit in some of the other acceleration points that the engine is starting to scream. The low end doesn't sound that great though so there's that.
Best videos yet. That car still sounds awkward and very diffferent...
Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Nimche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Best videos yet. That car still sounds awkward and very diffferent...
Can't tell. The exhaust is definitely muted down and also stay at low RPM for some odd reason.
4 pot engine + better exhaust + 395 horse power. But I still think it is a 6 pot turbo from 911 otherwise there is no good reason to re-configure how those exhaust are sitting.
now it sounds very GT3 like in low RPM...

More eager to see the GT4 running tho.

Last edited by Nimche; 04-24-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That downshift at :46 is unmistakably a flat 6 NA. There's no question. I think the car sounds different to us maybe because Porsche is trying to hide the exhaust note.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:51 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
That downshift at :46 is unmistakably a flat 6 NA. There's no question. I think the car sounds different to us maybe because Porsche is trying to hide the exhaust note.
IMHO I disagree. I still think it's turbo charged but it sounds great for a turbo motor I must admit and I would have no issues if the motor sounded like that. I still hold out hope it's a nat asp car! Maybe I am just protecting myself from disappointment lest it turns out that I was right about it being a turbo charged motor!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew someone would
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 154 Posts

Listen to the video just posted with good headphones (I'm on my Bose QC 35s) and then listen to the first 25 seconds of this video (991.2 GTS).

Same sound.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:06 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

^ Not the same. Spyder has the distinct wail whereas the GTS does not in that video. You can clearly hear it at the very beginning when the car ticks over 4k RPM. 6-8 seconds in. The flyby at 1 minute sounds different from the flyby in the GTS.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:33 AM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

The video is out and its more unclear than ever lol. My guess is turbo 6 from Carrera S/GTS. Sounds similar in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 AM
Nimche
Intermediate

Let's find a video of 991.2 GT3 cruising in Nurburgring at low RPM

Here at the beginning, the red GT3 going by:
Old 04-25-2018, 08:22 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by getoffmylawn
The video is out and its more unclear than ever lol. My guess is turbo 6 from Carrera S/GTS. Sounds similar in my opinion.
This. Though I also won't be surprised if the Euro5 or whatever (can't keep track) emissions thing is muffling the sound big time for the NA motor.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimche
Can't tell. The exhaust is definitely muted down and also stay at low RPM for some odd reason.
It is _not_ at low RPM at many points in that video where it is starting to push reasonably hard. Also it is simply moving/accelerating way too quickly to be at low RPM.

From that video the Spyder is definitely going to be turbo. There is no "wail". Compare ring footage of any GT4 or GT3 and compare. If the exhaust sound isn't obvious enough, the lack of intake sound is another factor. A GT4 is pretty loud even when it's driving towards you due to the intakes being on the side and you get that N/A "hammering" sound that is so awesome. Absent on this car, all of it.

Add to that the fact that we know the RPM gauge is the same as 718/991.2 in terms of scale and I don't really know what doubt there should be left. All we can talk about now is will GT4 (or whatever they will call it) be the same, because we have no video of that yet.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 AM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

The Auto Motor und Sport video just above sure sounded turbo-ey to me. With the conflicting information we mere mortals have received so far (turbo-sounding 718 Spyder on at least 2 videos, but half-hearted statements from Porsche that they would keep GT cars NA for the time being), Porsche is throwing us a curveball. It would just make sense (regulations-wise and power-wise) that Porsche will go to turbos at some point even for the GT cars, but I did not think it would be this soon. If they do go turbo for the 718 GT4, it would be hard, very hard, to see Porsche putting a four cylinder engine in it. I still believe (hope) Porsche will deliver a normally-aspirated 4.0 liter of some sort in the 718 GT4.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I have absolutely no claim to insider info, but it's fun to speculate about what could be.

Porsche obviously have no problem with turbocharged GT cars, given that, in the US at least, the first and only GT cars for 2 years were turbocharged. Add to that the fastest, highest profile GT road car in history is the current 'Ring record holding turbocharged GT car. For Porsche to shift and suddenly create some marketing blather about how the awesome-sauce of the GT2 is now trickling down to its little brothers, the 3 and 4, would merely be an afternoon's work for the marketing boys. And let us not forget the definitive, almost defiant, Preuninger statements after release of 991.1 GT3 that manuals were a thing of the past, that whiny customers needed to get over it, the PDK was the best transmission and would be the offering in GT cars from now on, etc. And then Presto! Manual GT4, Manual R, manual GT3 in rapid succession.

So if (when, actually) Porsche decides to flip to turbos for GT cars, look for the "old" NA motors to suddenly be lightly vilified by AP and company in interviews where journalists try to lament their passing, and all the history of Porsche's turbo race cars to be rolled out, and also look for a more GT-ish turbo application to appear, however they decide to define that. Higher redline than Carrera/718 turbos, light flywheels, better sound, etc.

Am I saying that will be first seen on the next GT4? :shrug: I dunno. I'm just saying that past statements by AP saying the GT group will keep its NA cars as long as possible or whatever in no way precludes the next GT4 being turbo, whether six or four. I would not be the least bit surprised if it shows up with an NA six, a Turbo six, or a Turbo 4. Whatever Porsche decides will ultimately make them the most money.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have absolutely no claim to insider info, but it's fun to speculate about what could be.

Porsche obviously have no problem with turbocharged GT cars, given that, in the US at least, the first and only GT cars for 2 years were turbocharged. Add to that the fastest, highest profile GT road car in history is the current 'Ring record holding turbocharged GT car. For Porsche to shift and suddenly create some marketing blather about how the awesome-sauce of the GT2 is now trickling down to its little brothers, the 3 and 4, would merely be an afternoon's work for the marketing boys. And let us not forget the definitive, almost defiant, Preuninger statements after release of 991.1 GT3 that manuals were a thing of the past, that whiny customers needed to get over it, the PDK was the best transmission and would be the offering in GT cars from now on, etc. And then Presto! Manual GT4, Manual R, manual GT3 in rapid succession.

So if (when, actually) Porsche decides to flip to turbos for GT cars, look for the "old" NA motors to suddenly be lightly vilified by AP and company in interviews where journalists try to lament their passing, and all the history of Porsche's turbo race cars to be rolled out, and also look for a more GT-ish turbo application to appear, however they decide to define that. Higher redline than Carrera/718 turbos, light flywheels, better sound, etc.

Am I saying that will be first seen on the next GT4? :shrug: I dunno. I'm just saying that past statements by AP saying the GT group will keep its NA cars as long as possible or whatever in no way precludes the next GT4 being turbo, whether six or four. I would not be the least bit surprised if it shows up with an NA six, a Turbo six, or a Turbo 4. Whatever Porsche decides will ultimately make them the most money.
Excellent post!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM
RolloGigolo
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...er-spyder.html

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?