The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 11:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,515 Likes on 5,048 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
What about the EU and numerous US states and other countries that have emplaced zero emission mandates in place. The largest US Porsche sales state, California (and several others), have enacted similar.

Manufacturers need to meet these goals or exit the market. These are necessarily manufacturer driven realities.

That's my only point.

Let's see if we can get back to discussing the 718 product.
I would bet dollars to donuts that those mandates, either in CA or anywhere else in the US or ROW, will be pushed back if not entirely amended.

The EU with Germany has already started the trend.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
fasteddie99 (02-28-2024), IndigoInkTaco (02-28-2024), Larson E. Rapp (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:40 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

What about the EU and numerous US states and other countries that have emplaced zero emission mandates in place. The largest US Porsche sales state, California (and several others), have enacted similar.

Manufacturers need to meet these goals or exit the market. These are necessarily manufacturer driven realities.

That's my only point.

I get it, the Canada mandate mirrors that of the EU right now (2035). But I would think that gets pushed back even further as we get closer to that incredulous date.

There just isn't enough new info to discuss anything meaningful as it relates to the car yet. I think it is a bit disappointing, albeit predictable that Porsche is going the route of sharing the screens and UI from their other cars now with the screens and touch sensitive stuff - ala BMW. But with rising costs of everything, this is a way to unify and simplify the interiors and to keep cost down. It's just a bit soulless to me - the novelty of the Taycan gauges wore off very quickly during my ownership.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:49 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would bet dollars to donuts that those mandates, either in CA or anywhere else in the US or ROW, will be pushed back if not entirely amended.

United States EPA has already announced the "push back", and is delaying implementation dates of the proposed new emission standards that effectively eliminate the petrol engine.

NY Times - EPA Delays Shift to Electric Cars

When "Push Comes to Shove" the market place will make the decision and politicians that are pushing for these changes will follow the votes.....

Last edited by 981KMAN; 02-27-2024 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fasteddie99 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:55 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,608 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Perhaps, but given the developmental timelines involved with launching new product lines it's understandable why they're proceeding in such a fashion.

While 2035 seems like a long way off, there are mandatory intermediate goals as well.

Believe 2030 is 50%, so I expect PAG to reduce their 2030 80% target downward as MB did recently to manage regulation and consumer demand.

Anyway, 718 EV is coming...
Old 02-27-2024, 12:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
United States EPA has already announced the "push back", and is delaying implementation dates of the proposed new emission standards that effectively eliminate the petrol engine.

When "Push Comes to Shove" the market place will make the decision and politicians that are pushing for these changes will follow the votes.....
https://insideevs.com/news/710176/au...lax-emissions/
Old 02-27-2024, 04:00 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Luxury EV’s are not just cell phones, they are the Vertu brand of cell phones. Today’s technology with some high end materials but the same basic tech under the kimono all for an irrational premium retail, catering to those with a YOLO mindset with more money than brains.

The Salt-Bae of steak houses.

The Hublot of watches.

And so on…

There are definitely some of Porsche’s EV engineers looking over their shoulders right now waiting for HR to invite them in for a difficult chat before this thing even launches.

I hope I’m wrong, and this does well, so they can continue to make real sports cars - but this may fail so spectacularly that it negatively impacts other developments (the reverse Cayenne effect).
Perhaps, but given the developmental timelines involved with launching new product lines it's understandable why they're proceeding in such a fashion.

While 2035 seems like a long way off, there are mandatory intermediate goals as well.

Believe 2030 is 50%, so I expect PAG to reduce their 2030 80% target downward as MB did recently to manage regulation and consumer demand.

Anyway, 718 EV is coming...
it is coming, despite nobody having asked for it sadly.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:23 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Bit over the top....no?

Doesn't Canada have an EV mandate, like the EU, on new car sales?
Doesn't mean Porsche will survive, at least as we know it. Porsche makes sports cars... as well as SUV/sedans that people buy because they like the sports cars. Sports cars drive the sales of the rest of their fleet by bringing value and excitement to the badge. Under the nice interior and exterior of their suv and sedan lineup, you often have basically just modified Audis being sold at a premium but at least they felt different because of drivetrain and weight distribution differences even if they share a ton of suspension and mechanical parts.

With EV's you eliminate the Sports cars from Porsche because tehy are basically no different than a boring daily driver but in 2 door form (same drive train, same batteries, same performance, same sound, no RPMs, no gears, same lack of soul) and it wont take long for the badge to suffer. If it wasn't for companies like Telsa, at least tehy could have lied and said it was hard to make big power cheaply for EVs, so most models need to be crappy performing commuter cars... but with telsa basically proving you can put big power in everything cheaply and do it with a decent feeling car for the weight and make money doing so, the cat is out of the bag. Porsche's prime market for sports car buyers are guys who value handling, soul, and tradition above all else; it's why a GT3 somehow weighs 3000lbs still, still has its engine hanging off the rear bumper, and hasn't really changed in basic styling in over 60 years. A big portion of those guys believe something died when water was added... and somehow these guys are going to line up to buy 4000lb EV 1/4 mile cars they probably can't track or head on a road trip in and where performance degrades exponentially worse the more the battery gets drained?

I think since the scirocco information came to light this thread could probably be moved to the 924 forum. An undesirable quasi sports car that is built with volkswagen parts sounds more like an evolution of the 924 than a successor to the 718.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-28-2024 at 02:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
IndigoInkTaco (02-28-2024), worf928 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:11 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by tonie90
it is coming, despite nobody having asked for it sadly.
And just remember, just because it's coming doesn't mean anyone has to buy it. I strongly encourage people to avoid all EV purchases and the mandates will go away.
The following users liked this post:
fasteddie99 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:29 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

lol
Old 02-28-2024, 12:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN

Depending on your perspective, this is either good or bad news.

https://electrek.co/2024/02/28/autom...-2035-ice-ban/

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-28-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:07 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Depending on your perspective, this is either good or bad news.

https://electrek.co/2024/02/28/autom...-2035-ice-ban/
Predictable. Manufacturers dove head-first into this transition and have invested billions. Changing directions is going to take even more investment and result in heavier losses in the short term, and unfortunately too many can't see the forest through the trees.

Companies like Toyota were openly mocked by other brands for resisting the full EV transition and leaning heavily on hybrids instead. They now have the lowest "days of inventory" for any manufacturer right now.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:12 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 382 Likes on 232 Posts

If anything, Toyota neglected their astonishing early lead in hybrids to screw around with hydrogen. They are masters of supply chain management, not precognition.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:48 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 338 Posts

The EU and USA are very different Auto Markets. EVs work better in the EU as the need for high range is not required. Remember "You could easily fit ten European countries within the borders of Texas, according to TexasView.org". The point is Auto transportation needs are different in the EU, versus the USA. Drivers in the USA travel longer distances each day then in the EU, and thus require longer range vehicles, and ones the refuel quickly.

I'm not against EVs. I am against the forced bans that eliminate choice for the consumer. And I can see why Auto Makers would want an EV future, as the cars cost less to manufacture, with significantly less labor - so higher profits. A lot can change in a decade....... It will be an interesting future!
Old 02-28-2024, 05:45 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

That's my only point.

You appear to have unfailing faith in government. I do not. IMO, The market will rule and governments will cry uncle.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:17 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,608 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
You appear to have unfailing faith in government. I do not. IMO, The market will rule and governments will cry uncle.
Where in my comment do I place “an unfailing faith in government”?

I simply state this as why manufacturers are pushing EV, nothing more or less.

As long as these mandates are in place, we can expect manufacturers to meet the goals.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread