Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 06:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 685 Posts

The Taycan refresh is substantially better than the original Taycan models, much longer range, much quicker charging, much faster. All that and even 30kg lighter.

this will truly crush resale on first gen Taycan.

No way would I buy any Taycan right now except the updated models.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-18-2024 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (02-23-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:49 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,093 Posts

$30K off new Taycans?

What dealer is that? Might have to take a look…
Old 02-18-2024, 09:03 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by neteng101
Might want to take a look at this. Once you drive it off the lot, its already worth a lot less than what you paid even with $30k off.

https://youtu.be/fsYNfaB5om8?si=aSKbV-C6391quITS

I watched this last week myself. It's a bit shocking considering Europe is more receptive to EV than US. But then I thought about the rational behind a $170k EV sedan... and what would be its take rate on that. I think Porsche is overplaying their hand on this one and indirectly shoving this down peoples' throat.

That said, I think EV Boxster/Cayman's take rate will be just OK at best until there's significant advancement in battery.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:33 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,793 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
$30K off new Taycans?

What dealer is that? Might have to take a look…
It's Porsche Edmonton Canada, probably doesn't help you.... but if one dealer is doing it and has an advertising sign for it, it's probably with 100% Porsche's blessing and I'd imagine that kind of wiggle room is possible elsewhere. Our base Taycans are 4s's, but we also pay 5g less for taycan 4S's when you do the currency conversions on MSRP.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:52 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,793 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The Taycan refresh is substantially better than the original Taycan models, much longer range, much quicker charging, much faster. All that and even 30kg lighter.

this will truly crush resale on first gen Taycan.

No way would I buy any Taycan right now except the updated models.
I'm hoping cuz I'm looking at used. Even with 30k off that's too much to spend on a daily driver for me. I don't really plan to replace one car until the end of the year or even early next year, and I prefer the look of the pre-face lift Taycan. A pre-face lift 4S is fast, range is good enough, charging is probably fine since most of my charging on my Telsa is trickle charging.

We really haven't seen crazy depreciation on taycans where I am unless you factor in bloated builds. Our cheapest on the market in western Canada is generally about 110k CAD (over 80k usd), which for a 6 figure sedan is actually pretty good resale IMO. For comparison here I've had a glance at 7 series bmw's (2020/2021 models) and I could get one of those for 60-70k cad, and those were somewhat close to taycans new I believe. Now that is brutal depreciation.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-19-2024 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:03 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I'm hoping cuz I'm looking at used. Even with 30k off that's too much to spend on a daily driver for me. I don't really plan to replace one car until the end of the year or even early next year, and I prefer the look of the pre-face lift Taycan. A pre-face lift 4S is fast, range is good enough, charging is probably fine since most of my charging on my Telsa is trickle charging.

We really haven't seen crazy depreciation on taycans where I am unless you factor in bloated builds. Our cheapest on the market in western Canada is generally about 110k CAD (over 80k usd), which for a 6 figure sedan is actually pretty good resale IMO. For comparison here I've had a glance at 7 series bmw's (2020/2021 models) and I could get one of those for 60-70k cad, and those were somewhat close to taycans new I believe. Now that is brutal depreciation.
I should have qualified my position. Buying a used first gen Taycan, (if done via a very large discount) might be worth if a previous owner already suffered the vast majority of the potential depreciation

Last edited by Drifting; 02-19-2024 at 01:13 AM.
Zhao (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:17 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I should have qualified my position. Buying a used first gen Taycan, (if done via a very large discount) might be worth if a previous owner already suffered the vast majority of the potential depreciation
But buying a used Taycan does put you closer to replacing the battery- and certainly the battery condition is worse than when new. These are early days of EV, so there are lots of unknowns
Old 02-19-2024, 09:24 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
But buying a used Taycan does put you closer to replacing the battery- and certainly the battery condition is worse than when new. These are early days of EV, so there are lots of unknowns
An out of warranty first gen EV is truly a hot-potato with the potential for battery replacement.

This is relevant to today's Porsche EV market, they are willing to give this guy a GT3RS allocation if he buys 3 Taycan Turbo S's that have been collecting dust. He would stand to lose 75k GBP ($95k USD) on each car if he sold them immediately with delivery miles. GT cars have always gone to customers who have a history of buying cars (similar to Rolex sports models), but you know things are bad when they are saying "you there with no buy history, not only will we give you a GT3RS, but we will put you at the top of our list if you can rid us of these boat anchor's of EV's". That's insane...

Chester7 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:54 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

Reminds me of Ferrari dealerships being force-fed Maseratis after the acquisition. Those dealers were unhappy campers. I believe they ended up doing the same thing, requiring customers to take the turkeys off their hands in order to gain access to the desirable models.
Chester7 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:31 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I think long time Porsche owners are their target market unless they are absolutely brain dead. Porsche knows better than most about repeat customers and catering to them, which is why the 911 still looks like a 911. It's why we have a NA engine still in the GT3, and in the GT4s and GTS's. It's why they brought back the manual for the GT3 in the 991.2. It's why we get 43 different deviated stitch options. Even the more boring VW part of the company knows a thing or 2 about keeping it's cult customers loosely consulted on what they want to buy.

You can say oh macan buyers don't care about forums... but about the same amount of people viewed the musicar for 2014+ macan thread as people viewed the 'official Macan EV discussion thread', and the normal macan forum is far from dead.

If you don't think there is a coloration between forum traffic and demand why does my Porsche dealer have a giant 30k off taycans sign on the street? Do you think they're doing that cuz they're nice? maybe I should go ask for 30k off a GT3RS, oh wait, I probably would go deaf from the laughter.
Comparing values of a first gen Taycan to a GT3RS just shows how disconnected Rennlist is from reality. One is a commuter sedan that sells nearly as much as the entire 911 line, while the other is a niche racecar that is built in limited numbers for the super rich. Totally irrelevant measure that's been parroted in this thread more than once.
The 718 EV only has to sell more than the current 718 to be a total success, and it won't be hard to do that. The GT cars will remain an option for the elitists with the ability to pay.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:49 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MXA121
Comparing values of a first gen Taycan to a GT3RS just shows how disconnected Rennlist is from reality. One is a commuter sedan that sells nearly as much as the entire 911 line, while the other is a niche racecar that is built in limited numbers for the super rich. Totally irrelevant measure that's been parroted in this thread more than once.
The 718 EV only has to sell more than the current 718 to be a total success, and it won't be hard to do that. The GT cars will remain an option for the elitists with the ability to pay.
It eventually will be relevant to compare the 718EV with the biggest magnets (I'm embarrassed to even type, I feel sorry for the EV fanboys) against the GT cars.

They inevitably will have a "GT" version of the 718 EV, as one is already in the works for the Taycan. But I am willing to bet that both of those will be far easier to acquire than the corresponding 911 GT's.

To Zhao's point, no one just stumbles into a Porsche dealership, nor are they cross shopping the latest Tesla commuter car against a 718. The general public has witnessed the vertical depreciation of EV's and I doubt John Q. Public is going to line up to get one of these assuming $100k nicely optioned 718's. The only way this vehicle makes sense is as a business lease write-off and as it won't exceed the GVWR threshold (assuming it can stay under that, but EV's are heavy pigs) for tax purposes and lack of practicality it doesn't work.

I have said it before, but go to your local dealer and ask how many are on the waitlist for the 718EV - then ask about the 4.0L list. And then come back and tell us if you think the 718 EV is going to be a big hit...

Old 02-19-2024, 03:01 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

@Schn3ll what is a "big hit"? How many 4.0Ls do they sell per year?
Old 02-19-2024, 03:43 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MXA121
@Schn3ll what is a "big hit"? How many 4.0Ls do they sell per year?
Short answer, every single one.

In the luxury goods market, a hit is when you have no problem selling every unit you make - while many wait for their turn.

This isn’t like pumping out widgets with exponential sales figures YoY like the latest iPad.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,672 Likes on 5,111 Posts

It's Porsche Edmonton Canada, probably doesn't help you.... but if one dealer is doing it and has an advertising sign for it, it's probably with 100% Porsche's blessing and I'd imagine that kind of wiggle room is possible elsewhere. Our base Taycans are 4s's, but we also pay 5g less for taycan 4S's when you do the currency conversions on MSRP.
Can you point me to the advertisement? Or the link?

I just went on the Porsche Edmonton website and saw no such advertisement for 30k off a new Taycan.
https://dealer.porsche.com/ca/edmonton/en-CA
Old 02-19-2024, 04:29 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Short answer, every single one.

In the luxury goods market, a hit is when you have no problem selling every unit you make - while many wait for their turn.

This isn’t like pumping out widgets with exponential sales figures YoY like the latest iPad.
Porsche is just a company at the end of the day, and they make their money on sales. The 718 is their worst selling car.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024...023-34942.html

If they launch the 718 EV tomorrow and say they will only build 1000/yr, it would sell out instantly. Then it's a 'hit' by your definition.
If instead, they pump out 40000/yr like they did the Taycan, then it's not a 'hit' because they might have excess built?
Any Econ professors in here?

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread