The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 07:22 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
If you walked in and offered $170k on a $200k Taycan, they would draft the paperwork so fast your head would spin.

In case you are somehow unaware of the current EV market:

https://youtu.be/UbofunQTMbM?si=KCXOkr1PJDoqchpQ

https://youtu.be/Ubn1j4uu2gg?si=DYn5GH31m6p1OiYT

https://youtu.be/3mumDYSmIY8?si=ehTR5ngF9jebnLBV
You completely missed my point…but carry on.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:22 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 518 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-scir...-re-1851275441

VW releasing a car on the 718EV platform. It will be interesting to see the price points of the two cars and the performance delta, if any.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:16 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,773 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You completely missed my point…but carry on.
Maybe you should explain your point because right now it's as clear as mud.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by ldamelio
https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-scir...-re-1851275441

VW releasing a car on the 718EV platform. It will be interesting to see the price points of the two cars and the performance delta, if any.
Not sure what to think of that. I do not think I'd want the 718 EV to share any comparisons with a second coming of the VW 924.
The following users liked this post:
Chester7 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:01 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Maybe you should explain your point because right now it's as clear as mud.
What’s unclear about post #807?

Let’s get back on track to discussing the 718 EV Follow-on

Discussing Taycan discounts is best left to the dedicated Taycan forum. I’m sure they’d be interested in the discount pricing you quoted.
SoCal-NSX (02-24-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:52 AM
Zhao
Drifting

And like I said, it's not really a one off discount so I don't understand what your point was. The minimum Taycan discount was 22k if you bought a stripper as another dealer broke down their Taycan discount formula and no one really buys a 6 figure Porsche without tossing options on it so the discount is likely as near to 30k as doesn't matter. And you likely can negotiate beyond what the discount is just for walking in the door. Nothing exaggerated there. Schn3ll is probably correct if you offered 30k off they'd probably try to lock you in before you knew what was going on.

They might be interested too in the EV forums but someone decided yesterday I shouldn't see the Taycan or Macan EV forums like what happened with Drifting. Somewhat interesting because I've really only posted about the positives of them in those 2 forums so I wonder if someone here takes my hate for the 718 EV and stupidly thinks that applies to all EVs, or if it's some mod friends with some lunatic on the Taycan forum that thinks I'm a tesla cultist lol. That lunatic literally attacks everyone on that forum and has said racist stuff and hasn't got a ban so it could be that.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-22-2024 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:29 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
And like I said, it's not really a one off discount so I don't understand what your point was. The minimum Taycan discount was 22k if you bought a stripper as another dealer broke down their Taycan discount formula and no one really buys a 6 figure Porsche without tossing options on it so the discount is likely as near to 30k as doesn't matter. And you likely can negotiate beyond what the discount is just for walking in the door. Nothing exaggerated there. Schn3ll is probably correct if you offered 30k off they'd probably try to lock you in before you knew what was going on.

They might be interested too in the EV forums but someone decided yesterday I shouldn't see the Taycan or Macan EV forums like what happened with Drifting. Somewhat interesting because I've really only posted about the positives of them in those 2 forums so I wonder if someone here takes my hate for the 718 EV and stupidly thinks that applies to all EVs, or if it's some mod friends with some lunatic on the Taycan forum that thinks I'm a tesla cultist lol. That lunatic literally attacks everyone on that forum and has said racist stuff and hasn't got a ban so it could be that.
sorry to hear that also happened to you. I really don’t understand what is going on with the mods.

Is there a super hypersensitive mod that feels all porsche EVs are literally perfect and so he can’t tolerate any independent thoughts on them?
Or a mod that is a good buddy of that guy on the Taycan section who attacks anyone who is opened minded about other EV companies?

Clearly not someone who believed in free speech….

Last edited by Drifting; 02-22-2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:10 AM
dichael
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 77 Posts

Getting back on track and not falling down an trumped-up rabbit hole... Sharing with a potential Scirocco line - wow. Feels like the beginning of a doomed line already. That said, I'm still curious to see what the final version of the 718 EV looks like... weight, performance, distance per charge, etc. I'm just not very optimistic that I will be 'thrilled', but that's just me.

I'm OK with masking when folks bring up irrelevant negative innuendo in a car forum (eg political) - its all about context and forum purpose and there's all kinds of forums geared towards every kind of subject matter. @Zhao 's case is indeed strange though.
SoCal-NSX (02-24-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:49 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

if you believe your ‘free speech’ is being curtailed here at Rennlist, then perhaps Gab would be a better fit for you.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:58 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

There is no such thing as "free speech" on a privately run forum.

Heck, there might not even be free speech (in the "absolute, no consequence" sense) on a public, government funded forum.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:17 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Masdmin
I’m keeping my manual gt4 for a very long time…
Hey welcome to RL.

Sorry, have to ask but is this a AI BOT account?

9 posts in as many minutes…

Old 02-23-2024, 07:30 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I will say, porsche will move a few of these cell phones in year one. Mostly to the greenwich, Beverly Hills crowd. But the drop-off will be extremely steep. I think it has a 2 year window before being shuttered.
Zhao (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:47 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by tonie90
I will say, porsche will move a few of these cell phones in year one. Mostly to the greenwich, Beverly Hills crowd. But the drop-off will be extremely steep. I think it has a 2 year window before being shuttered.
Luxury EV’s are not just cell phones, they are the Vertu brand of cell phones. Today’s technology with some high end materials but the same basic tech under the kimono all for an irrational premium retail, catering to those with a YOLO mindset with more money than brains.

The Salt-Bae of steak houses.

The Hublot of watches.

And so on…

There are definitely some of Porsche’s EV engineers looking over their shoulders right now waiting for HR to invite them in for a difficult chat before this thing even launches.

I hope I’m wrong, and this does well, so they can continue to make real sports cars - but this may fail so spectacularly that it negatively impacts other developments (the reverse Cayenne effect).
tonie90 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:56 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Luxury EV’s are not just cell phones, they are the Vertu brand of cell phones. Today’s technology with some high end materials but the same basic tech under the kimono all for an irrational premium retail, catering to those with a YOLO mindset with more money than brains.

The Salt-Bae of steak houses.

The Hublot of watches.

And so on…

There are definitely some of Porsche’s EV engineers looking over their shoulders right now waiting for HR to invite them in for a difficult chat before this thing even launches.

I hope I’m wrong, and this does well, so they can continue to make real sports cars - but this may fail so spectacularly that it negatively impacts other developments (the reverse Cayenne effect).
I would 110% agree with you and share your exact sentiment, if not for the fact that post-ipo they are looking to be more centered around luxury markets and the specific fickle clientele therein, then being a performance luxury brand. I think sadly those days are gone.

There are dealers in the northeast asking 10K over for the macan EV, which is insane. They aren't concerned anymore with building sports cars. Politics or anyones feeling about climate aside right. Who asked for this product? How many people bought a GT4 or even a base Cayman, and walked back into the dealer and said "hey this is great, but it would be better if it were an EV". I cant name one person ive ever met, or even anecdotally who said that to a dealer.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:01 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by tonie90
I would 110% agree with you and share your exact sentiment, if not for the fact that post-ipo they are looking to be more centered around luxury markets and the specific fickle clientele therein, then being a performance luxury brand. I think sadly those days are gone.

There are dealers in the northeast asking 10K over for the macan EV, which is insane. They aren't concerned anymore with building sports cars. Politics or anyones feeling about climate aside right. Who asked for this product? How many people bought a GT4 or even a base Cayman, and walked back into the dealer and said "hey this is great, but it would be better if it were an EV". I cant name one person ive ever met, or even anecdotally who said that to a dealer.
I do agree they are going after new clientele with this car. But there are only so many TikTok influencers and bored Beverly Hills housewives out there.

It would make more sense if they keep/refresh the ICE car alongside this - as the market for these cars do not overlap. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the Porsche engineers asked the out of touch product planners “why would we take our smallest and most accessible sports car and make it so it couldn’t be tracked?”

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread