Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 01:54 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
For me, this thread is NOT a fuster cluck. It shows how valuable the 718 is to many folks who don't want the larger 911- and who like the 718 just the way it is.

The fact that the screams and ideas are so loud and have reached "stuck-pig" levels demonstrates the attachment to the 718.

I don't blame Porsche for "trying" EV on the 718 because they sell so few units that EV'ing it is a reasonable business risk that could (I doubt it) pave the way to an EV 911 that is accepted (good luck, 911 guys squeal like stuck pigs over every tweak of the 911).
I think this was their logic, presumably plans for this started in the late 2010s which was the hype bubble for EVs. The 4cyl 718 as a whole was a borderline failure outside of the Asian market. This is reinforced by Porsche still selling the car today, trying to get value out of the r&d done a decade ago.

Now with supply chain realities setting in as well as a larger view of how the market is treating EVs, I'd wager if they were to make the decision today they'd think twice about it.

Last edited by justince; 01-17-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,672 Likes on 5,111 Posts

Originally Posted by slivel
Odd that you would cite this article as support for EV's. I read the article (all of it), and it is very negative. Not towards the operation of EV's in the cold but a damning of the Norwegian government in its heavy-handed regulations promoting EV's. Through tax incentives of $27,000, toll avoidance, and bus lane access for EV's they achieved their goal of widespread EV adoption but there were unintended consequences. Public transportation development funds dried up, urban areas became congested and traffic increased.
Related from an opinion piece in today's WSJ by "Mr. Buschbacher is a partner at the law firm Boyden Gray PLLC. He served in the Justice
Department’s Environment Division (2020-21). Mr. Conde is counsel at Boyden Gray PLLC."

"When carmakers test gasoline-powered vehicles for compliance with the Transportation Department’s
fuel-efficiency rules, they must use real values measured in a laboratory. By contrast, under an Energy
Department rule, carmakers can arbitrarily multiply the efficiency of electric cars by 6.67. This means
that although a 2022 Tesla Model Y tests at the equivalent of about 65 miles per gallon in a laboratory (roughly the same
as a hybrid), it is counted as having an absurdly high compliance value of 430 mpg. That
number has no basis in reality or law.
For exaggerating electric-car efficiency, the government rewards carmakers with compliance credits
they can trade for cash. Economists estimate these credits could be worth billions: a vast cross-subsidy
invented by bureaucrats and paid for by every person who buys a new gasoline-powered car.
Until recently, this subsidy was a Washington secret. Carmakers and regulators liked it that way.
Regulators could announce what sounded like stringent targets, and carmakers would nod along,
knowing they could comply by making electric cars with arbitrarily boosted compliance values.
Consumers would unknowingly foot the bill.
The secret is out. After environmental groups pointed out the illegality of this charade, the Energy
Department proposed eliminating the 6.67 multiplier for electric cars, recognizing that the number
“lacks legal support” and has “no basis.”
Who says I was trying to support EVs with that article?

Was only using it as an example of how EVs are compatible with cold weather.

Whether I support EVs or not, in the cold, hot, or anywhere in between was not the point of my post.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 01-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

I'll save folks from listening to 34 minutes of a talk sponsored by EV charging companies. At 1:34 the guy states "There is some truth that electric cars are worse in the cold".
Old 01-18-2024, 01:58 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

Everything is worse in the cold. Why anyone with more than four digits in their bank account doesn't bail out of frozen hellholes like Chicago is beyond me.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Everything is worse in the cold. Why anyone with more than four digits in their bank account doesn't bail out of frozen hellholes like Chicago is beyond me.
Shots fired.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:02 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

You ever try ice fishing and snowmobiling in Florida?
Old 01-18-2024, 07:47 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 896 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr
You ever try ice fishing and snowmobiling in Florida?

lol

you can combine both at the same time in Florida year round

Old 01-19-2024, 01:33 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 685 Posts

I agree Chicago is miserable in the winter. Not my cup of tea. However, many people enjoy mountains for many reasons including good driving roads, but also for different summer and winter sports.

This is why a number of successful people choose to live in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana.

I live in one of those states and and I enjoy the variety of additional recreation options and overall quality of life, not found in California.

Winter isn’t the end of the world.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:19 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I agree Chicago is miserable in the winter. Not my cup of tea. However, many people enjoy mountains for many reasons including good driving roads, but also for different summer and winter sports.

This is why a number of successful people choose to live in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana.

I live in one of those states and and I enjoy the variety of additional recreation options and overall quality of life, not found in California.

Winter isn’t the end of the world.
I would love to know what kind of recreation and quality of life I'm missing out on living in California? Please educate me.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike818
I would love to know what kind of recreation and quality of life I'm missing out on living in California? Please educate me.
Yeah, and while CA is a big state with probably at least four different climate zones, at least living in Southern CA, you are literally less than 2 hours away from skiing (or snow boarding), surfing (or snorkeling or scuba diving, etc.), hiking and even dune buggying. A person could theoretically do all of them in one day.

Plus, in Southern CA you're surrounded by 3 public race tracks (Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, and Willow Springs) and one world class private members-only track (Thermal)

You can golf year round, if that's your thing.

I can take day trips to Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, or San Diego, or even Mexico.

Plus, you're 4-5 hours away from Vegas, or less than an hour flight time on SWA to from BUR-LAS.

And if you want to get outside you're within a day's drive, or an hours flight from 2 major national parks, and several lesser national parks.

California is also home to the most Michelin starred restaurants in the U.S. (88)

Oh, we also have the Happiest Place on Earth too.

Yeah, I feel so deprived living in CA.

Someone hold me.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-19-2024 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SoCal-NSX (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 10:31 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yeah, and while CA is a big state with probably at least four different climate zones, at least living in Southern CA, you are literally less than 2 hours away from skiing (or snow boarding), surfing (or snorkeling or scuba diving, etc.), hiking and even dune buggying. A person could theoretically do all of them in one day.

Plus, in Southern CA you're surrounded by 3 public race tracks (Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, and Willow Springs) and one world class private members-only track (Thermal)

I can take day trips to Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, or San Diego, or even Mexico.

Plus, you're 4-5 hours away from Vegas, or less than an hour flight time on SWA to from BUR-LAS.

And if you want to get outside you're within a day's drive, or an hours flight from 2 major national parks, and several lesser national parks.

California is also home to the most Michelin starred restaurants in the U.S. (88)

Someone hold me.
too many benefits must hurt
Old 01-20-2024, 11:14 AM
pgap718
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 74 Posts

Someone hold me.
You're forgetting to mention 25 million people to share it all with, all the libtards and biggest homeless population too, terrible governor and anti 2nd amendment as can be, some of the highest gas prices and absolute worst taxes. No thanks lol...
Old 01-20-2024, 11:40 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,793 Likes on 981 Posts

I dunno, I grew up in a city that I could walk to the beach and was 45 minutes away from 3 ski mountains, could leave my backdoor and would be in nature climbing a mountain, infinite golf courses, probably has the best race track in the country a hour away, and had all kinds of other stuff to do. No offense but 2 hours there and 2 hours back to do stuff is not living close to it IMO; You can't pop up the mountain for an evening night ski or head to the beach after work if it takes you a long time to get there; you're talking about doing stuff on weekends only as a destination. I also didn't have to deal with overcrowding, or 20% of the population living below the poverty line so CA doesn't sound so great to me.

California is fine if you want to live there, but it's not the end all be all place and nothing to do is 'close'. Too many people, too many problems, and I always get the feeling people in CA don't really understand what the rest of the continent has to offer and just assume their little bubble is best. I feel we get the same mentality in Canada with people living in Toronto.

Anyway, if I had to move to the states there are many states I'd pick before CA to go to.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:30 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I dunno, I grew up in a city that I could walk to the beach and was 45 minutes away from 3 ski mountains, could leave my backdoor and would be in nature climbing a mountain, infinite golf courses, probably has the best race track in the country a hour away, and had all kinds of other stuff to do. No offense but 2 hours there and 2 hours back to do stuff is not living close to it IMO; You can't pop up the mountain for an evening night ski or head to the beach after work if it takes you a long time to get there; you're talking about doing stuff on weekends only as a destination. I also didn't have to deal with overcrowding, or 20% of the population living below the poverty line so CA doesn't sound so great to me.

California is fine if you want to live there, but it's not the end all be all place and nothing to do is 'close'. Too many people, too many problems, and I always get the feeling people in CA don't really understand what the rest of the continent has to offer and just assume their little bubble is best. I feel we get the same mentality in Canada with people living in Toronto.

Anyway, if I had to move to the states there are many states I'd pick before CA to go to.

Someone hold me.
I agree with zhaos comments. None of this day trip stuff that ipsi is talking about is remotely realistic for SoCal....in this century

golf year round and many good restaurants, I cede those points to ipse, however……I lived in Westside LA for 3 years before moving to the Rockies. What you just described was LA before this century. LA would have been amazing in the 60s, 70s, 80s, However, none of what you said is true for LA in the 21st century.

Other than the tourist bureaus, no one talks about snorkeling and skiing on the same days because that is IMPOSSIBLE. Snow skiing, snorkeling, and dune buggy in one day? Will never happen with the modern traffic of Socal! Maybe on a foreign planet where the day is 30hrs long...... Exactly where is your skiing/snowboarding that is less than 2hrs away? If we are talking about a real ski resort such as Mammoth, that is a 5 hour drive one way. Big bear is the only other SoCal area that can still be considered a ski resort but is still 3 hrs each way on winter weekends. You can't do a "day" skiing trip when you are already down 6 hours of travel. None of the other places are worth skiing at all.

A day trip to San Diego? No one does a day trip to San Diego, because with traffic it is a 3hr drive each way from the Westside and even further from the Valley, unless you're driving at night. A "day trip" to Mexico is even more laughable.

SoCal was great before-----1 the population exploded and 2 it became a deep blue failed liberal state.

The CA state government is the worst in the entire country and no I don't feel like paying a huge amount of taxes each year just for them to waste it. I now save over a 100K each year in taxes by NOT living in CA. And the deep blue government of CA is the worst in the country, providing next to no services for their citizens despite the huge tax burden. I think I can spend my money better than LA county which currently pays 98 lifeguards over 200K/year! I also don't feel it appropriate to take money from me to pay for the healthcare of illegal aliens who want a sex change. There are endless examples of insane government waste in CA. And that is before we start discussing the useless liberal overregulation that drives companies from California and dramatically increases the cost of everything.

Clearly the tax money is going anywhere but schools, or highways, as both are terrible all across the state. And because the CA governments are a bunch of liberal weenies, the end result is that homeless and squatters have more rights than decent citizens with a job. Kids aren’t safe walking around most parts of LA, gangs rob stores in broad daylight and homeless people leave $hit and needles all over public places. My girlfriend worked in Santa Monica and she could not have lunch outside her office on ocean ave and wilshire, a fancy zip code right next to multi million dollar buildings, because homeless were everywhere, they wouldn't leave decent people in peace, and the liberal local government did nothing.

Only a very small percentage can afford a house in CA (if they didn't inherit one). A house is out of reach for 85% of people in SoCal and the Bay area. https://ktla.com/news/california/onl...ew-data-shows/

The most apt example of the mentality of people in southern California and bay area, is the classic case of a frog jumping straight out of a pot of boiling water, but if you put the frog in the pot of cool water and slowly but consistently turn up the temperature, the frog doesn’t realize how much progressively worse his situation is and so dies in the pot.

California was great 60 years ago, not so much today.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-20-2024 at 04:28 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Drifting:
Chester7 (01-23-2024), GT Omologata (01-26-2024), IndigoInkTaco (01-22-2024), Webfiero (01-25-2024)

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread