Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 02:11 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Toyota thinks the total EV market cap is 30%

https://insideevs.com/news/705724/ak...ta-ev-cap/amp/

When the worlds largest auto manufacturer, who continues to have record sales, and the lowest days supply of vehicles in the US makes these kinds of statements, they hold serious weight.

I hope Porsche is smart enough to offer an ICE version of the 718 along with this thing. Or this model will die a quick death.

Harry Metcalf has some very good thoughts and found himself in a similar situation as I did. I had full plug in hybrids and full EV’s and went back to ICE. Buying a $100k EV in 2024 as a personal, not business lease, is a fools errand.

https://youtu.be/nZysvgm2_Aw?si=AXELDpyLc5IIhzQ_

Maybe they won't care if the 718 dies off? It'll push more potential buyers to the low end 911 category.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:41 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,088 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Maybe they won't care if the 718 dies off? It'll push more potential buyers to the low end 911 category.
Would be the best way I can think of to kill off a model.

See Mustang Mach-E, Chevy Blazer and Silverado, Dodge Charger (though they walked this back and will offer ICE after a ton of push back). I would bet everything I own that these will all flop.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Speaking of EVs, what happened to the Macan EV and Taycan sections of Rennlist?

They both seem to have vanished, unless someone can point out what I’m missing?

Last edited by Drifting; 02-15-2024 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:17 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,806 Likes on 987 Posts

I still see them.

There is only like 3 posts a day in the Macan EV forum anyway so nothing major lost. That's pretty crazy for a car that just came out and should be full of people going 'rate my build'.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:05 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
I still see them.

There is only like 3 posts a day in the Macan EV forum anyway so nothing major lost. That's pretty crazy for a car that just came out and should be full of people going 'rate my build'.
weird. Wonder if I was shadow banned from the ev forums on RL after that last exchange with codybigdo&. ?
The following users liked this post:
Hardhead (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 02:13 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,750 Likes on 2,121 Posts

I still see them.

Do you think the "typical" RL members are the target demographic?

I mean I still know people who proclaim water cooled cars aren't real P-cars either.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:13 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
weird. Wonder if I was shadow banned from the ev forums on RL after that last exchange with codybigdo&. ?
If you can't see them, you were masked...
Old 02-16-2024, 02:20 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Do you think the "typical" RL members are the target demographic?

I mean I still know people who proclaim water cooled cars aren't real P-cars either.
The Taycan subforum on RL is mostly dead, though Taycans sell decently well (they sell almost twice as many Taycans as 718s). The Taycan Forum (outside Rennlist) is full of activity. I do think that the slowness of the Macan subsection of RL doesn’t mean the Macan won’t sell well, it’s just that its customers may prefer different forums.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I think long time Porsche owners are their target market unless they are absolutely brain dead. Porsche knows better than most about repeat customers and catering to them, which is why the 911 still looks like a 911. It's why we have a NA engine still in the GT3, and in the GT4s and GTS's. It's why they brought back the manual for the GT3 in the 991.2. It's why we get 43 different deviated stitch options. Even the more boring VW part of the company knows a thing or 2 about keeping it's cult customers loosely consulted on what they want to buy.

You can say oh macan buyers don't care about forums... but about the same amount of people viewed the musicar for 2014+ macan thread as people viewed the 'official Macan EV discussion thread', and the normal macan forum is far from dead.

If you don't think there is a coloration between forum traffic and demand why does my Porsche dealer have a giant 30k off taycans sign on the street? Do you think they're doing that cuz they're nice? maybe I should go ask for 30k off a GT3RS, oh wait, I probably would go deaf from the laughter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Chester7 (02-17-2024), shelbyking (02-18-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 02:13 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

If you can't see them, you were masked...
Interesting that I didn’t receive a message saying you’re masked or lost access to this particular section for 2 weeks etc.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Interesting that I didn’t receive a message saying you’re masked or lost access to this particular section for 2 weeks etc.
Dunno about all that...you can try to reach out to the respective forum community team members for an explanation.

Each forum has different team members who manage in slightly different ways.

Most mods don't have the ability to ban or mask, so you evidently got the attention of a more senior crossing guard.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:55 AM
neteng101
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

PAG keeps saying 718 EV for 2025. Whether that’s CY or MY unclear.
I suspect CY 25 - they already launched the Macan EV and Taycan refresh so got to keep the train rolling, plus the 718 has been out since 2017 and EV prototypes already seen on the road.

As for all the speculation - I suspect the 718 EV is going to see low take rates except for the Boxster which will likely appeal to EV buyers wanting a convertible EV. Macan EVs are going to sell if people can afford them - the high interest rates might slow down interest given the much higher cost vs. ICE Macans plus not being eligible for tax credits in the US. The market Porsche is aiming for with EVs is the EU first and China, not the US to start.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:52 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

I think long time Porsche owners are their target market unless they are absolutely brain dead. Porsche knows better than most about repeat customers and catering to them, which is why the 911 still looks like a 911. It's why we have a NA engine still in the GT3, and in the GT4s and GTS's. It's why they brought back the manual for the GT3 in the 991.2. It's why we get 43 different deviated stitch options. Even the more boring VW part of the company knows a thing or 2 about keeping it's cult customers loosely consulted on what they want to buy.

You can say oh macan buyers don't care about forums... but about the same amount of people viewed the musicar for 2014+ macan thread as people viewed the 'official Macan EV discussion thread', and the normal macan forum is far from dead.

If you don't think there is a coloration between forum traffic and demand why does my Porsche dealer have a giant 30k off taycans sign on the street? Do you think they're doing that cuz they're nice? maybe I should go ask for 30k off a GT3RS, oh wait, I probably would go deaf from the laughter.
Damn, $30,000 off Taycans has my attention. These are exceptionally good looking cars.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:30 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyking
Damn, $30,000 off Taycans has my attention. These are exceptionally good looking cars.
Might want to take a look at this. Once you drive it off the lot, its already worth a lot less than what you paid even with $30k off.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:18 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by shelbyking
It actually is. Where i am EV's hold their value pretty good so basically the cheapest 2020 taycan 4S works out to maybe 10 cheaper vs a new one with no options with 30k off. Odds are if they're offering 30k off for everyone they'll take more off too. I was watching used taycan 4S prices and they're too high for a 2020, but if they're offering 30k off new for a while that should hopefully tank the used market more so it might make it more attractive to buy a used non-2020 model in a year or so. I can't think of many reasons to buy a model S over a taycan 4S with that discount since they work out to be basically hte same price now. Charging network. software, and included options are better on the Model S, but everything else I rather have the Taycan.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread