Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 04:07 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by TubaFreak
Heck, aren't base and S people having heat soak issues on the track because they're missing the third radiator of the GTS and above? I imagine cooling an EV is similar to cooling a phone or computer. Phones are fine under normal use but start playing a game or doing anything intensive and after a few minutes they're quite warm to the touch. With computers, cooling a high powered CPU or GPU under ~75% load is much different than trying to keep one cool at 100%, especially if you start overclocking. Add in space constraints and it becomes difficult without undervolting. The beauty of having a device like an EV designed around a fixed power level makes it simpler, but a co-worker of mine has a Model 3 (non-P) and the radiator fans on that thing will spin up like crazy on hot days after even normal driving. I don't have any personal experience with Taycans but if Porsche can figure out the cooling part (if they haven't already), then they'll be able to push the EV 718 further at full power, which will really help.
the taycan has vastly more cooling and thermal management than the model 3.
The following users liked this post:
TubaFreak (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 04:10 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Yeah, either way, I Do Not Want a first gen EV cayman/Boxster until it’s been well tested and the technology starts to plateau a bit. Just like I didn’t want a first gen water cooled Porsche. EV tech is moving so fast it’s like catching a falling knife if you jump on board in the next 5-10 years. At least just lease.

But you can’t deny, the number of gas stations peaked 15 years ago and have only been decreasing. There will never be more gas stations from now on, this number is only going down. I have some faint hope about Porsche or VAG developing a viable synthetic fuel that could perhaps burn cleaner but it won’t be cheap lol.
the taycan is Porsche’s first gen ev tech. It’s already been tested.

synthetic fuels may save motorsports but they won’t be economically effective for normal people. Like hydrogen, they cost a lot more than dinojuice and are extremely energy intensive to create.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:01 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
the taycan has vastly more cooling and thermal management than the model 3.

completely agree.

however daveo4porsche has tracked fairly extensively a Telsa M3P, a Taycan, and a GT3/RS. My recollection is that he said the M3P could only manage one track lap before overheating, and that the Taycan was much better, but still the Taycan only managed 3 track laps, and was still clearly inferior for the rigors of a track day compared to a GT3/RS.

Hopefully Dave can elaborate, as this is just my recollection of some of his posts.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:03 PM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 71 Posts

Some new spy shots of the interior:

https://www.motor1.com/news/687185/p...nterior-spied/
Old 09-18-2023, 04:41 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 575 Likes on 387 Posts

Good observation on the indicated range and state of charge. I would assume the car had been at typical Autobahn speed of about 130kmh. Still looks like maybe a smallish 70kwh-ish pack size with a typical range in the low-200 mile area.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:48 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
agree. Some of you may have seen the posts by dave regarding tracking the Taycan. Despite the fact that this feature added a great deal of engineering AND weight to the Taycan, a Taycan still can’t do more than 3 laps without entering limp mode. Better than the Tesla which can only do one lap before issues arise!

EVs aren’t the answer to everything. They make great sense for daily drivers, and local delivery trucks:buses traveling in defined areas.

The don't make sense for track cars, long haul semis, passenger airplanes, long distance shipping, or long road trips, etc.
Saw a Pininfarina Battista at the VC hill climb yesterday and had the chance to ask the owner a few questions... one of them was how many runs can you do before needing to recharge?

answer: about 5 (and note he's not absolutely banging it either for fear of death)

note: the course is about 5 miles uphill

but still for a car with a supposed 300 mile range that is HORRIBLE
Old 09-18-2023, 09:52 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,025 Posts

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/09/20...ports-car/amp/

Some interior shots…
Old 09-18-2023, 10:33 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice. Thanks for sharing. It looks like the 992 interior I think. Not bad and definitely modernized. But I'm not sure if I prefer it over the current "dated" interior.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:07 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 286 Posts

It will be interesting to see how well received it will. Remember when the 2.5T GTS was released? Even though it had better performance, better handling, better fuel economy just better in every way EXCEPT sound. The purists and journalists absolutely crushed it because it didn’t sound like a six cylinder car. Because they didn’t like the sound, the car never achieved the respect that it deserved. Now they are going to bring out a car with NO sound!!

Can you imagine if this car has wishbone suspension all around and goes 0-60 in 3.0 seconds (pure speculation on my part) can you imagine what the purists and journalists will say to better performance and handling but ……NO SOUND !!

Last edited by OldJedi; 09-19-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:38 AM
$ Short
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The photos show a center exhaust.
Is this only for looks, or am i missing something?
Old 09-19-2023, 11:40 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 215 Posts

They always do that as part of the camouflage. Must be some kind of inside joke.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:58 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 439 Posts

The dilemma that Porsche has is that according to multiple dealers I talked to, there's almost zero interest in the EV 718. Meanwhile, people are scrambling to get the last of the 4.0L Cayman and Boxsters.

I think this is a big mistake, and might get a few early adopters but sales will taper off quickly - similar to Taycan.

I have a unique perspective coming from a 991.2 manual T, then went to a Taycan and now back to 992 manual T. My next car will be a GT3 Touring. The Taycan lasted in my garage for 5 months. It was an appliance and the antithesis of what I think of when it comes to a Porsche experience. No amount of fake engine noise or 2-speed transmissions can overcome the fact that it's a boring / linear / simplistic driving experience. I had the big battery and I still had crap range (240 miles) and never really got that much. 200 miles is a joke, when Tesla is about to have 420 in a Model 3. I should be the target audience for vehicles like this, I'm not yet 40 and can easily grasp the technology. Another issue I had with the Taycan was the update process, my car had to go sit at the dealer for 2 weeks while they updated my car meanwhile Tesla can push OTA's to cars weekly with no issue. The infotainment would crash and completely go blank on me leaving me unable to change the music and required a hard reset every time. It was atrocious. And updates were few and far between. I will say the build quality was great, however, as expected.

A lot of us go on drives on great roads, most are not nearby and sometimes I need to go about 40+ miles to get to a good driving road (Eastern Tennessee or Western NC), and then really hammer the car for 1+ hour on the roads, plus the return trip. I highly doubt that a 200 mile range Cayman would do the trick - particularly when you charge to 80% so that knocks down the range to 160 miles and you only get that in optimal conditions.

There may be a reason why no one else besides the first Tesla has launched an attainable EV sports car yet. Beta test this car at your own risk.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
IndigoInkTaco (09-19-2023), nd01 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 12:57 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
It will be interesting to see how well received it will. Remember when the 2.5T GTS was released? Even though it had better performance, better handling, better fuel economy just better in every way EXCEPT sound. The purists and journalists absolutely crushed it because it didn’t sound like a six cylinder car. Because they didn’t like the sound, the car never achieved the respect that it deserved. Now they are going to bring out a car with NO sound!!

Can you imagine if this car has wishbone suspension all around and goes 0-60 in 3.0 seconds (pure speculation on my part) can you imagine what the purists and journalists will say to better performance and handling but ……NO SOUND !!
Say what you will about it, the EV 718 will bring advantages to the table that were not present before. The four-banger 718s really didn't. (a) Improved fuel economy was a bald-faced lie; (b) the last thing the 981 needed was quicker steering or better handling in general; and (c) complaints about sound are really just a proxy for "This engine just doesn't feel right for this car, compared to the NA 6."

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 09-20-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:49 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi

I would bet a lot of money that it will use the same macpherson strut set up it currently uses
Old 09-19-2023, 01:50 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
Some new spy shots of the interior:

https://www.motor1.com/news/687185/p...nterior-spied/
It looks nice from the initial spy shots. Still no interest in an EV though. Meh. Maybe one day.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread