Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 07:48 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao

Manufacturers should probably leave downtown SF or NY and talk to people who live in North Dakota or Mississippi and find out how out of touch they are with most of the population.
Agreed. I work back and forth between here and Northern Louisiana and in the past 2 years I think I've seen 1 EV. The only charging station(s) I see is at the hotel and it sits empty. Can guarantee there's no customer base down there lol
Old 12-27-2023, 11:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,478 Likes on 5,034 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Agreed. I work back and forth between here and Northern Louisiana and in the past 2 years I think I've seen 1 EV. The only charging station(s) I see is at the hotel and it sits empty. Can guarantee there's no customer base down there lol
Is it the people in coastal cities that are of touch or the people in fly-over country?
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 11:45 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Is it the people in coastal cities that are of touch or the people in fly-over country?
I don't think it has anything to do with being "out of touch".... Different area have different Transportation needs. The problem is the Government trying to push a one technology for all regulation.

We need choice..... Build a better Vehicle that meets their needs, and folks will buy it!

The following users liked this post:
IndigoInkTaco (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 01:45 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

If we're generalizing out of touch (with reality) then it's 1000% the people in NYC/LA/MIA.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,478 Likes on 5,034 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
If we're generalizing out of touch (with reality) then it's 1000% the people in NYC/LA/MIA.
But the folks in NYC/LA/MIA and other coastal cities make up a majority of the population in the U.S.

So by your logic the majority of the people are out of touch (with reality)?

Old 12-28-2023, 10:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,758 Likes on 964 Posts

But the folks in NYC/LA/MIA and other coastal cities make up a majority of the population in the U.S.

No, what? that's not true. Only 30% of the US population lives in core urban environments. 25% lives in suburbia. The rest live in small town america or completely rural. Core city dwellers percentage of the population hasn't changed since the late 70s either and it's only suburbia and small towns that are increasing in population. As for coastal counties they house less than 30% of the population and not all that population lives in metro areas.

Even if 99% of people live in coastal cities, if they're too ignorant to realize someone rural lives a very different life than them then ya, they're out of touch with reality.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:05 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 895 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
No, what? that's not true. Only 30% of the US population lives in core urban environments. 25% lives in suburbia. The rest live in small town america or completely rural. Core city dwellers percentage of the population hasn't changed since the late 70s either and it's only suburbia and small towns that are increasing in population. As for coastal counties they house less than 30% of the population and not all that population lives in metro areas.

Even if 99% of people live in coastal cities, if they're too ignorant to realize someone rural lives a very different life than them then ya, they're out of touch with reality.

lol, yup....pretty much anybody outside of California are considered hillbillies by us Californians

just kidding....kinda
Old 12-28-2023, 11:21 PM
Xian
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I'm glad I'm not in the C-suite at an automaker who has to make these decisions. That said, I still think the four-banger 718s should have been electric from the get-go. They would have sold just as well, and Porsche would now have the engineering and marketing experience they need, instead of having to guess at what will happen.

There is at least some demand for high-margin EV sports cars, given that people have been shoving six-figure deposits at Musk for a new Roadster for years now. People who are into those are really into them.
Interesting thought on the base 718… I think making it a reality would’ve been a larger cost and development commitment that Porsche wanted to make at the time. Also, super likely that it would’ve been a pretty mediocre product given how multifaceted it would’ve needed to have been.

Having said this, I’m not against an EV powered 718 replacement but it’s definitely gonna be a different experience. Not saying that it’ll be better or worse… just that it’ll be different. If anyone can pull it off, it’ll be Porsche’s engineers and they’ll sell them at a decent pace. As others have mentioned, folks that love EV’s often tend to REALLY love them.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:11 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts

ANY EV car including EV Porsches get old soon like an iPhone

this time they can't play the Lucky Nostalgia song
to justify the tech obsolescence

solid state battery should come first from Porsche, BMW or Ford but its Gelly ,BYD, aka aka China....
welcome to the end folks
R.I.P. Western world

Last edited by fxz; 12-29-2023 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:25 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 674 Posts

solid state batteries are a big deal-

*1/3 of weight (or triple range with same weight)
*Charge twice as fast
*5x the number of charge cycles=longer car life
*More stable with much less fire risk.

They are difficult to make and multiple companies are working on them. Once a dependable solid state car battery is developed, every current EV on the planet will be worth dramatically less, as they will be obsolete compared to the EVs with solid state batteries.

That gives me pause before paying 90 to 100k for an electric 718 with traditional lithium batteries.

Last edited by Drifting; 12-29-2023 at 11:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drifting:
Larson E. Rapp (12-29-2023), Zhao (12-30-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:32 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

lol what? NYC/LA/Miami probably account for about 13 million people and the United states has 330 million. I'm not sure you're doing yourself any favors here with that type of claim.

But, while we're talking logic....you stated in your first post that middle America is fly-over country. That alone goes to show your ignorance which matches up with that of the coastal cities. They care so little about the bulk of America that they don't even desire to visit it, let alone drive through it. They'd rather pretend to be some global elitists and travel to Europe or some Caribbean island for their social media likes.
They don't know how the people in this country live. The ones that provide all of their food from the farms. They think they're better than them, but the reality is these liberal cities are filled with a bunch of people that really don't know ****, but think they do because they read it in a book somewhere.
I'd highly recommend you take a couple weeks of vacation this year in places like Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama. etc. Maybe you'll see things differently.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:34 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
lol, yup....pretty much anybody outside of California are considered hillbillies by us Californians

just kidding....kinda
I'll never forget sitting at a bar in Mission Beach during the 2016 election night and these girls screaming "****ing rednecks" at the television every time a state turned red on the election map. Classy. lol
Old 12-29-2023, 12:10 PM
pgap718
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
solid state batteries are a big deal-

*1/3 of weight (or triple range with same weight)
*Charge twice as fast
*5x the number of charge cycles=longer car life
*More stable with much less fire risk.

They are difficult to make and multiple companies are working on them. Once a dependable solid state car battery is developed, every current EV on the planet will be worth dramatically less, as they will be obsolete compared to the EVs with solid state batteries.

That gives me pause before paying 90 to 100k for an electric 718 with traditional lithium batteries.
Mass produced SS batteries are at a minimum, a decade away. You got some time before every EV is "dramatically" less in value...
Old 12-29-2023, 01:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by pgap718
Mass produced SS batteries are at a minimum, a decade away. You got some time before every EV is "dramatically" less in value...
several companies are quoting production times slatted to start before 2030.

I’m no chemist but there is an enormous amount of research money being applied to this, so no one truly knows, including you.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:41 PM
pgap718
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
several companies are quoting production times slatted to start before 2030.

I’m no chemist but there is an enormous amount of research money being applied to this, so no one truly knows, including you.
LMFAO!

​​​​​Look online and just two or three years and how many car manufacturers said that their entire lineup will be EV "in the next few years/2025 etc!" See how that turned out? They can say one thing but the market will show another. Classic economics!

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread