Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 05:56 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 784 Posts

Here's an idea: let's wait until the EV Cayman/Boxster is produced and we can see reviews & take test drives before predicting its demise. Once launched, the experiences and perspectives of actual buyers - of which I may well be one, even though I'm not a "girl" in LA or an "influencer" but a 67-year-old lifelong 2-seat sports car enthusiast - will carry more weight than denunciation from existing owners who have no intention of ever giving up their NA, manual-gearbox, ICE cars. Sadly, the ICE/EV schism in the Porsche community is well on its way to becoming as predictable and uninteresting as the never-ending Air-cooled vs. Water-cooled, NA vs.Turbo, Manual vs. PDK opinion-fests.

Last edited by gcurnew; 12-01-2023 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SoCal-NSX (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 10:37 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,099 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Here's an idea: let's wait until the EV Cayman/Boxster is produced and we can see reviews & take test drives before predicting its demise. Once launched, the experiences and perspectives of actual buyers - of which I may well be one, even though I'm not a "girl" in LA or an "influencer" but a 67-year-old lifelong 2-seat sports car enthusiast - will carry more weight than denunciation from existing owners who have no intention of ever giving up their NA, manual-gearbox, ICE cars. Sadly, the ICE/EV schism in the Porsche community is well on its way to becoming as predictable and uninteresting as the never-ending Air-cooled vs. Water-cooled, NA vs.Turbo, Manual vs. PDK opinion-fests.
I wouldn't trust "journalist" reviews of an EV 718 - they have been instructed to fawn over every latest EV released regardless of how flawed they are (see Taycan, Tesla, Ioniq, Mach E, etc.).

Sure there have been numerous debates amongst Porsche owners with the various ways to slice the model ranges with engines/transmissions - but all of these experiences you mentioned remain unique to Porsche. An EV is an EV is an EV experience. Any differences in the powertrain from Ford to Tesla to Porsche are very incremental and potentially imperceptible, no matter if you have a one-speed transmission or a 2-speed you can barely feel (coming from a former Taycan owner). No amount of goofy spaceship noise can replace the real NVH from an actual motor.

The EV experience is constant thrust with a big heavy battery below you. Form factor alone insists the 718 should have meager range at best on Li-Ion battery tech.

In other words, I could probably write a thoroughly accurate review for the 718 EV without ever knowing the specs or driving it. "Quick, quiet, heavy - short commute roadster. Save your money and buy a golf cart."
Old 12-02-2023, 07:58 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 900 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I wouldn't trust "journalist" reviews of an EV 718 - they have been instructed to fawn over every latest EV released regardless of how flawed they are (see Taycan, Tesla, Ioniq, Mach E, etc.).

Sure there have been numerous debates amongst Porsche owners with the various ways to slice the model ranges with engines/transmissions - but all of these experiences you mentioned remain unique to Porsche. An EV is an EV is an EV experience. Any differences in the powertrain from Ford to Tesla to Porsche are very incremental and potentially imperceptible, no matter if you have a one-speed transmission or a 2-speed you can barely feel (coming from a former Taycan owner). No amount of goofy spaceship noise can replace the real NVH from an actual motor.

The EV experience is constant thrust with a big heavy battery below you. Form factor alone insists the 718 should have meager range at best on Li-Ion battery tech.

In other words, I could probably write a thoroughly accurate review for the 718 EV without ever knowing the specs or driving it. "Quick, quiet, heavy - short commute roadster. Save your money and buy a golf cart."
as someone who was new to the EV thing when I bought my Model 3 Performance back at the begining of 2023, I can tell you from experience not all EV's are the same....drive a standard range model 3 and then hop in a Performance model 3 or even just the mid tier dual motor long range version and it is quite different. The other part of the equation is the incomparable charging network that Tesla offers over the competition. I still grin like a teenager who snuck his dads muscle car out for the night when I embarrass the poor 20 something dude who has no idea what an EV can do and tried to test me in his Charger or Mustang at a stop light (never gets old)

I have since put about 12000 maintenance free miles on it in less than a year including a couple 1000 mile road trips and have zero complaints or issues....it is by far the best daily driver I have ever owned.
The only drawback is what it has done to my perception of what a car is supposed to do when you push the gas pedal.....My ICE vehicles including the Porsche feel slow af these days

They are not for everybody, but if you have home charging, they are hard to beat..... I am sure once these vehicles have 500+ mile ranges as battery tech improves, they will quickly take over the industry. Don't believe all you read about the demise of the EV on the internet, big oil spends millions on misinformation campaigns to try and slow their ultimate demise when it comes to the auto industry.

Let's just wait and see what Porsche can do with an electric Cayman before we write it off.....I'm betting it will be amazing on many different levels and will change a few peoples view on EV's

Old 12-03-2023, 07:44 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 460 Likes on 273 Posts

That said, wow, that thing looks ridiculous. Looks like it was crossbred with a hermit crab.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:11 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
as someone who was new to the EV thing when I bought my Model 3 Performance back at the begining of 2023, I can tell you from experience not all EV's are the same....drive a standard range model 3 and then hop in a Performance model 3 or even just the mid tier dual motor long range version and it is quite different. The other part of the equation is the incomparable charging network that Tesla offers over the competition. I still grin like a teenager who snuck his dads muscle car out for the night when I embarrass the poor 20 something dude who has no idea what an EV can do and tried to test me in his Charger or Mustang at a stop light (never gets old)

I have since put about 12000 maintenance free miles on it in less than a year including a couple 1000 mile road trips and have zero complaints or issues....it is by far the best daily driver I have ever owned.
The only drawback is what it has done to my perception of what a car is supposed to do when you push the gas pedal.....My ICE vehicles including the Porsche feel slow af these days

They are not for everybody, but if you have home charging, they are hard to beat..... I am sure once these vehicles have 500+ mile ranges as battery tech improves, they will quickly take over the industry. Don't believe all you read about the demise of the EV on the internet, big oil spends millions on misinformation campaigns to try and slow their ultimate demise when it comes to the auto industry.

Let's just wait and see what Porsche can do with an electric Cayman before we write it off.....I'm betting it will be amazing on many different levels and will change a few peoples view on EV's

I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range and I agree with many of the things you said (Tesla network, home charging, best daily driver) but I plan on trading it in to get a Porsche (Cayman or 911) or some other sports car.

My reason is because I find it rather boring. I do not know if it is because I have owned it for awhile and want something new but I have owned other cars longer and never really had a desire to trade them in like I do my Tesla. I just look at it as something to get me from one place to another...as you said...the perfect daily driver. The thing is, I do not want a daily driver anymore. I want something that I can hear. I want something that puts a smile on my face when I hear a nice exhaust note. Maybe I want to trade it in because it is a 4 door sedan and my wife and I do not have kids so I can get a sports car.

I think the Tesla, and maybe all EVs, are just safe practical cars...low maintenance, no gas stations, and the other things you mentioned above. I am just tired of living the "practical" way of life. I want to let my hair down, I want to do something gives me emotion when I drive it as I like driving. I just do not think the Tesla or an EV is it for me. Will I get another EV in my lifetime? Probably....but not before I try a sports car like a Porsche.

Apologies if my post does not make much sense. I am not a wordsmith so my writing sucks compared to others on this forum. I am not knocking EVS...it just comes down to what you are waiting when you drive. The Tesla for me is the best daily driver I ever had...I just want something more.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:34 PM
pgap718
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Porsche has wayyy to many trims for the Taycan. Just to keep things simple they should only have a three or four in my opinion and all be awd.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:06 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 595 Likes on 292 Posts

^^^^^^ That rendering doesn’t really make me want to rush out and put a deposit down on a Cayman EV. For myself, I don’t see an EV as a sports car for myself. I don’t see myself trading my existing Porsche’s for an EV. I really thought that I would trade my 2019 Macan for the upcoming EV version but we have made the two recent trips of over 500 miles each and the Macan averaged over 30 MPG without having to stop for gas. I don’t see an EV Macan being able to do this right now.

As for our Cayman and Boxster, I feel very blessed to have them. The Boxster 25 with the 4.0 engine is the perfect convertible and my Cayman with the GT4 bumper, side scoops and rear spoiler is a terrific toy that I enjoy driving. I can see a small EV pickup truck to replace my Chevy Colorado to go back and forth with to work and local errands. Plus it would stay outside and charge to reduce the chance for a battery induced fire inside the garage.

I am sure that the Cayman/Boxster EV will cause some excitement and bring some sales as well. I am not sure that I will part of the initial sales introduction.
Larson E. Rapp (12-05-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 08:13 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldJedi
^^^^^^ That rendering doesn’t really make me want to rush out and put a deposit down on a Cayman EV.
Don't worry, it won't look anything like that - anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming. Taycan like headlights, 992 rear LED strip, butthole charger and maybe remove the side scoops (unnecessary).

Old 12-04-2023, 08:29 AM
pgap718
Racer

Don't worry, it won't look anything like that - anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming. Taycan like headlights, 992 rear LED strip, butthole charger and maybe remove the side scoops (unnecessary).

You're 100% wrong in saying it won't "look anything" it. I'm willing to bet this is close to how the final production model will look. Porsche has had camo on it before but all the latest sightings have it off.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:45 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgap718
You're 100% wrong in saying it won't "look anything" it. I'm willing to bet this is close to how the final production model will look. Porsche has had camo on it before but all the latest sightings have it off.
So you're of the belief that the opening price point car in Porsche's range is going to look more like a one-off concept car, and NOT like the test mules we've seen that are close to production?

UncleDude (12-06-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:36 PM
pgap718
Racer

So you're of the belief that the opening price point car in Porsche's range is going to look more like a one-off concept car, and NOT like the test mules we've seen that are close to production?

No, I thought you were saying it won't look like the real life pictures. Or course it won't look like some fan AI concept art.
Schn3ll (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:41 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgap718
No, I thought you were saying it won't look like the real life pictures. Or course it won't look like some fan AI concept art.
We had our streams crossed - I meant it wouldn't look anything like that poorly done fantasy render made by a 4th grader.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:05 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 900 Likes on 402 Posts

hope it doesnt look like that test mule...this is hopefully just a deception to fool people. Usually car companies do a better job at hiding and disguising their test mules

The best renderings are based on the Mission R concept

then again, too bad the Taycan didn't look like the Mission E concept....they would have sold a ton more

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 12-04-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:29 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

I’m just hoping that exhaust port, shown above in the charging photo, isn’t there at launch if its truly an EV, not a Hybrid.

Last edited by phefner; 12-04-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:53 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 921 Likes on 367 Posts

It's not real. It's just the engineers trolling people.

Originally Posted by phefner
I’m just hoping that exhaust port, shown above in the charging photo, isn’t there at launch if its truly an EV, not a Hybrid.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread