Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 01:30 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by tonie90
couple the above with Ford CEO saying all electric lineup is not optimal and you nee multiple powertrains available (ICE, EV, Hybrid). Will be curious to see if porsche does go with every model sans 911 as full EV. Dealers here in the northeast and I think more broadly pushed back on porsche on all ev macan so now they are looking into selling side by side with the ICE model. That along with the 718 which sadly does not seem to have picked up any early interest (two dealers up here have a whopping 0 people "waiting" for one)
Porsche is taking a hard look at their EV Only plans and backing off as they have hundreds of Taycans sitting on dealer lots. Just go to the Porsche website and search for Taycans with-in a 500 radius of your home. Over 250 listed at dealers within 500 miles of Greenville, SC. If I check the LA area, (should be more EV friendly) I stopped counting after 25 pages at 15/page or 375 cars within 500 miles of LA. These are large numbers of unsold Taycans and should make Porsche rethink any EV only plans......
Old 08-29-2023, 03:37 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Porsche is taking a hard look at their EV Only plans and backing off as they have hundreds of Taycans sitting on dealer lots. Just go to the Porsche website and search for Taycans with-in a 500 radius of your home. Over 250 listed at dealers within 500 miles of Greenville, SC. If I check the LA area, (should be more EV friendly) I stopped counting after 25 pages at 15/page or 375 cars within 500 miles of LA. These are large numbers of unsold Taycans and should make Porsche rethink any EV only plans......

they are over priced....You can get a Model 3 Performance that would absolutely destroy a base Taycan for $40,000 less

You would have to buy a Taycan Turbo which is over three times the price to compete with $54,000 M3P(not even including the tax credit and rebates)

Porsche is in a very tough market space when it comes to EV's in todays economy

I'm sure most people would rather buy a 991/718 and an M3P for their daily for the same price as a comparable Taycan Turbo if they had $150K to spend on a car or cars and wanted an EV in their garage
Old 08-29-2023, 06:21 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
they are over priced....You can get a Model 3 Performance that would absolutely destroy a base Taycan for $40,000 less

You would have to buy a Taycan Turbo which is over three times the price to compete with $54,000 M3P(not even including the tax credit and rebates)

Porsche is in a very tough market space when it comes to EV's in todays economy

I'm sure most people would rather buy a 991/718 and an M3P for their daily for the same price as a comparable Taycan Turbo if they had $150K to spend on a car or cars and wanted an EV in their garage
Exactly this. I see absolutely ZERO value in a Taycan unless you have a stupid amount of disposable income. I don't even like Tesla's, but as I mentioned in a previous comment, I'm considering the model Y as a daily purely for value for money.

I live 9klms from work, I have free EV charging at work, and a 3 phase 10kw solar inverter at home, capable of producing 80kw of solar energy a day. I have a 3 phase 32amp power outlet in my garage ready for a 22kw EV charger, so I really don't need to rely on any public charging network. If I plan to travel any further than the cars fully charged range, I'll take the Porsche
The following users liked this post:
kwikit356 (09-03-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 10:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
While the local electric companies are licking their chops at the prospect of having a power monopoly in the near future, Volvo of all companies, has just declared electric cars must be driven 68,000 before they break even with gas cars on carbon emissions. They also say carbon emissions required to produce electric vehicles are 70% higher than their gas counterparts so nobody is saving the planet be driving these, at least not yet.

Presuming the numbers get better in the future, California and other states need to make traveling in these cars EASIER than their gas counterparts. Nobody but the most delusional owners think that's the case now, even Tesla owners with the best infrastructure.

Say what you will about Shmee, he's about 10 times smarter than the Poindexters in charge of California right now who are going after your cars, your gas range, your dishwasher, your ceiling fans and anything else they think is fashionable with no justifiable reasons to support their causes.
Oh geez, more nonsense. Turn off Newsmax for a while.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

The picture posted by @Archimedes supposedly showing a few Charging stations from LA to SF is very miss-leading. Our Charging infrastructure is less then 21% of Petrol (gas) stations, and that is the problem that early EV uses are facing. Add the non-working Charger that Shmee encountered, and the problem is clear. So don't "bash the messenger" if you can't accept the reality .
So Schmee stopping at one broken charger is the definitive evidence of his huge leap of over generalization? 😂

Also you realize electric cars are way less than 21% of cars on the road, right? And that the vast majority of their fueling (charging) is done through L2 home chargers, right?

Road tripping in an EV today is NOT as convenient as an ICE, but acting like it’s impossible or we’re doomed is moronic hyperbole. I’ve done Monterey to LA to Palm Springs and back multiple times with no problems. Took multiple different routes and had no problems charging on any of them.

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-29-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

By that logic, you could get a Dodge Hellcat that would destroy a 992 as well. Stupid argument.

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-29-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:12 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
So Schmee stopping at one broken charger is the definitive evidence of his huge leap of over generalization? 😂

Also you realize electric cars are way less than 21% of cars on the road, right? And that the vast majority of their fueling (charging) is done through L2 home chargers, right?

Road tripping in an EV today is NOT as convenient as an ICE, but acting like it’s impossible or we’re doomed is moronic hyperbole. I’ve done Monterey to LA to Palm Springs and back multiple times with no problems. Took multiple different routes and had no problems charging on any of them.
So we should dismiss Schmee's opinion because you've done multiple roads trips with success? Okay, that should put all charging infrastructure concerns at ease for everyone then, thanks.

I can't comment on LA or even the US's charging infrastructure, but I'll give some commentary on the subject based on Australia. Currently EV cars make up for 3.8% of all NEW vehicles sold, and it's increasing quickly. I couldn't tell you what the total percentage of registered EV cars on the road compared to ICE, but based on the previous figure, it would be less than 2%.

During our most recent school holidays, there were massive lines at charging stations across the country, which left people queuing for 4-5hrs just to be able to get access to a charger. So while it may not be an issue during normal times of the year, this was a clear indication that the charging network just isn't there yet for mass adoption of EV cars.

I'm not someone who is against them at all, as I said, I'm shopping for one now, and I'll be pretty well setup at home and work with charging facilities. But the problem is definitely real, so being an EV fanboi and trying to dismiss it just because you haven't been affected by it, doesn't mean it won't be an issue for others, particularly when considering road tripping distances.
tigerhonaker (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 12:15 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 955 Likes on 452 Posts

Oh geez, more nonsense. Turn off Newsmax for a while.
Story came from a liberal Tribune writer named John Crisp in today's Mercury News but believe whatever you want. You're pretty uninformed though.
tigerhonaker (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 09:45 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 830 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clutchplate
While the local electric companies are licking their chops at the prospect of having a power monopoly in the near future, Volvo of all companies, has just declared electric cars must be driven 68,000 before they break even with gas cars on carbon emissions. They also say carbon emissions required to produce electric vehicles are 70% higher than their gas counterparts so nobody is saving the planet be driving these, at least not yet.

Presuming the numbers get better in the future, California and other states need to make traveling in these cars EASIER than their gas counterparts. Nobody but the most delusional owners think that's the case now, even Tesla owners with the best infrastructure.

Say what you will about Shmee, he's about 10 times smarter than the Poindexters in charge of California right now who are going after your cars, your gas range, your dishwasher, your ceiling fans and anything else they think is fashionable with no justifiable reasons to support their causes.
clutchplate,

Very well stated ^^^ ................

After watching the video it was apparent that anyone traveling had better NOT be in an EV !!!

I cannot even imagine me in an EV when I made the trips to and from San Antonio, TX. and back Home (Franklin TN) in an EV.

If LA where the video was taken is that Screed-Up can we imagine where we would be that live in small cities and towns in the USA.

Terry
Old 08-30-2023, 03:33 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

By that logic, you could get a Dodge Hellcat that would destroy a 992 as well. Stupid argument.
Is it? You think people want to spend twice the ammount of money for an EV that gets embarassed by a Tesla? Is that why they are selling so well?

btw, my M3P would gap that Hellcat too

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 08-30-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:25 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

.................. And that the vast majority of their fueling (charging) is done through L2 home chargers, right?....................
That my fellow Rennlist member is one of the big problems against mass EV adoption. Sure charge at home if you live in a Single Family house. Wait... What? you live in an Apartment with no or only a couple charging stations..... And no charging stations at work??? Huh.... Guess you are SOL...

All I am saying is that there are issues that need to be addressed before we can go EV only, and many folks refuse to admit these issues exist. So if you really hate to listen to Shmee, here is another video of his experience with his Porsche Taycan while living in an Apartment (no home charger)........ enjoy!

Last edited by 981KMAN; 08-30-2023 at 05:26 PM.
tigerhonaker (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 12:15 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 830 Posts
Exclamation

That my fellow Rennlist member is one of the big problems against mass EV adoption. Sure charge at home if you live in a Single Family house. Wait... What? you live in an Apartment with no or only a couple charging stations..... And no charging stations at work??? Huh.... Guess you are SOL...

All I am saying is that there are issues that need to be addressed before we can go EV only, and many folks refuse to admit these issues exist. So if you really hate to listen to Shmee, here is another video of his experience with his Porsche Taycan while living in an Apartment (no home charger)........ enjoy!

The PAINS of Living with an EV! My WORST Experience Yet
981KMAN,

Thanks for sharing the video as I had not seen that one.

My thoughts .................
Can anyone imagine spending 2 or 3 hours screwing around charging for just 1-time !!!

Much less going through what Shmee 150 experienced in the UK.
And he also was in the USA in LA, CA and the same type of a DISASTROUS experience.

Terry
Old 08-31-2023, 12:49 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you cannot charge overnight or at work, owning an EV just doesn't work. Even if you have fast chargers in your neighborhood and they work perfectly, spending a few hours every week charging would be inconvenient to say the least with most people's busy schedules.

But if you do have a charger you can use at your house, would you swap your ICE 718 for the EV version? I think the answer for many here is a big fat no. That is, until we start seeing reviews of the 718 EV with go kart handling and instant acceleration.
pkalhan (09-03-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 04:28 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
981KMAN,

Thanks for sharing the video as I had not seen that one.

My thoughts .................
Can anyone imagine spending 2 or 3 hours screwing around charging for just 1-time !!!

Much less going through what Shmee 150 experienced in the UK.
And he also was in the USA in LA, CA and the same type of a DISASTROUS experience.

Terry

dude is a self proclaimed "petrol head"....take it for what it is worth.

I live in So Cal and can tell you he is completely full of sh-t ...I can throw a rock and hit a charger station in So Cal, even the non Tesla charging stations.

There is a ton of misinformation out there regarding EV's and it's not hard to figure out where it is coming from and why if you open your eyes....can't really blame them and you can tell by this thread it is working on some

https://www.newsweek.com/when-asked-...silent-1643644

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ic-car-1729429

https://www.nrdc.org/bio/franz-matzn...g-wall-big-oil

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/elec...formation.html

https://electrek.co/2017/06/27/koch-...-fossil-fuels/

Old 08-31-2023, 06:54 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

..... There is a ton of misinformation out there regarding EV's and it's not hard to figure out where it is coming from and why if you open your eyes....can't really blame them and you can tell by this thread it is working on some

https://www.newsweek.com/when-asked-...silent-1643644

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ic-car-1729429

https://www.nrdc.org/bio/franz-matzn...g-wall-big-oil

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/elec...formation.html

https://electrek.co/2017/06/27/koch-...-fossil-fuels/
Talk about miss-information....... Did you actually read these miss-information articles?? Yup, lobbying is taking place on both sides of this coin with lots of half truths going around. Some of these articles take a total "Micro" view of the EV itself vs. the ICE vehicle. Total disregard for where the Electricity comes from, how it is generated, how it gets to the EV, the upcharge cost at Charging stations, the fact EV don't pay "Road Use Tax".......yet, the environmental impact from Battery manufacturing, etc, etc, etc........

Yes the EV will benefit the City Centers that have a high concentration of cars and potential air quality issues, yet they simply export the pollution to other locations.

When "they" build a better mousetrap (Vehicle), I will be the first to buy it. They are far from it with the current offerings of EVs and the current Infrastructure. Call Shmee and others who have not drunk the EV "Coolaid" and have experience issues with EV use, all the names you want. But lots of improvements are required before EV's can match the versatility of the current ICE infrastructure.
tigerhonaker (09-01-2023)

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread