Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 09:57 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.t0fu
I currently own both - have had the M3P since 18 and the 718 since 19. I think the scariest thing about the Tesla is what happens when the screen freezes, while you are driving, and you can't access ANY of those controls (you can't see how fast you are going, can't do anything with the AC, can't change the radio station ... the list goes on) this has actually happened to me on a number of different occasions. This is just my opinion, but Tesla is more of a software company that just happens to build cars. Not a Tesla hater here, I've owned mine since 18 and still have it, the novelty just wears away fast (again, for me). It's still my DD, but I think I'd be more comfortable with an electric car from a more established car maker. Also a side note, I find myself using my hyrbid Cayenne more as a DD these days due to the fact that it has more "traditional" car features.
Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I have a Model 3 Performance and it takes a few days to get use to, but once you do it is fine...has great features, unmatched security and a pretty good sounding sound system.I personally have never had any issues with it as far as freezing up, but maybe becuese mine is a bit newer than the 2018 that the above poster mentioned... It is very minimalistic, but that is what they went for...I did put a faux carbon fiber dash cover over the wood dash strip thing that I hated and it looks 100 x's better now.
Obviusly the Porsche interior is much nicer, but the Tesla interior is fine....I have yet to get bored of the instant acceleration and embarrassing people who try to test me now and then
so far it has been by far the best daily driver I have ever owned
Thanks guys, there might be an electric Truck or SUV in my future but most likely not a Tesla. I’m really not sure if I could get used to driving with just a tablet and no gauges. Thanks for your responses.

Mr. Tufo, on a side note I ordered a GT4 front bumper for my GTS/4 Touring car.

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-17-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Thanks guys, there might be an electric Truck or SUV in my future but most likely not a Tesla. I’m really not sure if I could get used to driving with just a tablet and no gauges. Thanks for your responses.
Ditto - my sports car has to make real noise and burn gas, but my next SUV/truck will be an electric G Wagen (deposit placed almost 2 years ago). I loved the V8 sound in my last one but time has come to have at least one comfy/quiet ride, especially since the Harley makes as much noise as the Spyder.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 08-17-2023 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:05 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 210 Posts

Questions for those of you with a 718, now or before, and also a Tesla Model 3. What were your first thoughts driving the M3 with just a tablet to handle all of your controls vs analog gauges, switches and stalks?

For myself, I have NOT driven ANY Tesla so will not compare Tesla vs Porsche but I have sat in a Model 3 and found it cold an uninviting with no gauges and only a tablet. Just curious about your experiences and thoughts between the 718 and Model 3.
I own a 2022 718 Spyder. I have driven my neighbors Tesla Model X and wasn’t too impressed with it as a whole. It felt very cheap and made of plastic in lots of areas IMO. The center screen wasn’t too out of the ordinary for me for the first time driving a Tesla. Right after I drove that Tesla I drove a Benz EQE 500, that thing was amazing. Luxurious throughout the entire vehicle. Everything you touch was either leather or alcantara. They both seemed to drive about the same but I would give a small notch to Tesla on take off speed and the EQE 500 on handling and comfort by far. Mercedes has got their game next level on this EV game, check them out.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

My MB dealer invited me to test drive the AMG version of the EQE SUV when he gets it in a week or two - that should be a blast, especially since I have yet to experience one.
Unstock (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:23 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 289 Posts

At least the MB has some gauges!
Old 08-17-2023, 11:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

At least the MB has some gauges!
Digital, but still gauges I guess.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:29 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 892 Likes on 401 Posts

Mr. Tufo, on a side note I ordered a GT4 front bumper for my GTS/4 Touring car.
it won't be long until the market is flooded with choices....I will say though, Tesla is a decade ahead of the competition , but at least there is competition now.

Acura just unveiled the all new ZDX today

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024...t-look-review/

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 08-18-2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:49 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm in the market for a EV to replace my current diesel daily. I don't need anything too fancy, just something to commute to and from work. Took a Tesla model Y and a Polestar 2 for a test drive on the weekend. There were things I liked and disliked about both of them.

Tech wise, Tesla is definitely ahead of the game, however build quality looked and felt cheap. When I closed the doors, no nice solid thud, they sounded incredibly thin and hallow. Driving wise, it was comfortable, handled okay-ish, plenty of cabin space, however I don't particularly like the whole 1 pedal thing, my wife hated it. Yeah you get used to it, but I found it annoying.

The Polestar 2, looks fantastic in the flesh and way better build quality. It drove really well, handling was far superior to the model Y, and you can change the setup to drive like a regular car - i.e 2 pedal driving (no regenerative breaking.) It would coast for ages, which I much preferred over having to constantly modulate the GO pedal on the Tesla. I normally don't mind a cozy cabin, but it did feel noticeably smaller inside than the Model Y, which may be an issue if you have a family or regularly have other passengers in the back seats. The biggest let down was the 'tech'. I'm an google pixel user, so I love that it has a native android OS, but the Tesla was just capable of much more.

If I could combine the tech of the Model Y with the rest Polestar 2, it would be a no brainer for me.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:16 AM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
I'm in the market for a EV to replace my current diesel daily. I don't need anything too fancy, just something to commute to and from work. Took a Tesla model Y and a Polestar 2 for a test drive on the weekend. There were things I liked and disliked about both of them.

Tech wise, Tesla is definitely ahead of the game, however build quality looked and felt cheap. When I closed the doors, no nice solid thud, they sounded incredibly thin and hallow. Driving wise, it was comfortable, handled okay-ish, plenty of cabin space, however I don't particularly like the whole 1 pedal thing, my wife hated it. Yeah you get used to it, but I found it annoying.

The Polestar 2, looks fantastic in the flesh and way better build quality. It drove really well, handling was far superior to the model Y, and you can change the setup to drive like a regular car - i.e 2 pedal driving (no regenerative breaking.) It would coast for ages, which I much preferred over having to constantly modulate the GO pedal on the Tesla. I normally don't mind a cozy cabin, but it did feel noticeably smaller inside than the Model Y, which may be an issue if you have a family or regularly have other passengers in the back seats. The biggest let down was the 'tech'. I'm an google pixel user, so I love that it has a native android OS, but the Tesla was just capable of much more.

If I could combine the tech of the Model Y with the rest Polestar 2, it would be a no brainer for me.
What about a Taycan deal ?
Old 08-18-2023, 07:22 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Omologata
What about a Taycan deal ?
At nearly 3 x the price, I don't see the value. An EV will only ever be an appliance for me. The dollars saved could be put towards another driver focused car. I can't stop thinking about picking up an Exige, but I worry the novelty will wear off quickly with it being a little too track focused for the street.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:49 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 816 Posts
Exclamation Guys wanna see a New YouTube video on charging an EV in California ???

This is posted in the correct section here on Rennlist.com so Moderators don't PANIC !!!

I think since Porsche is also changing many of it's vehicles to EVs like the next Porsche GT4 etc. so this would also be of interest to Porsche owners.
I found this to be of interest since it is about California and that State I think is going to go All EVs in 2035 (I-Think) ???
Talk about a Screwed-Up-Mess just click on the Link below that takes you to the Correct Section where I Posted.

California is DOOMED!
My DISASTROUS Experience with the EV Charging Network

https://rennlist.com/forums/other-ma...l#post18982429

Things will definitely have to get a heck of a lot better that's for sure.
Personally I'll be keeping my Porsche Cayman 718 GT4.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-27-2023 at 01:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
DFW01TT (08-27-2023), Pavegeno928 (09-01-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 05:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Geez, dumbest video ever. Schmee’s a click bait moron.

His argument is easily countered by anyone who’s actually lived with an EV in California. Listening to people like him wax on about EV’s is like listening to Snoop Dogg commenting on monetary policy.

Yeah, there are so few CCS chargers between LA and Monterey…

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-27-2023 at 06:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
dub (08-27-2023), The Pinkoboe (08-28-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:14 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 936 Likes on 438 Posts

While the local electric companies are licking their chops at the prospect of having a power monopoly in the near future, Volvo of all companies, has just declared electric cars must be driven 68,000 before they break even with gas cars on carbon emissions. They also say carbon emissions required to produce electric vehicles are 70% higher than their gas counterparts so nobody is saving the planet be driving these, at least not yet.

Presuming the numbers get better in the future, California and other states need to make traveling in these cars EASIER than their gas counterparts. Nobody but the most delusional owners think that's the case now, even Tesla owners with the best infrastructure.

Say what you will about Shmee, he's about 10 times smarter than the Poindexters in charge of California right now who are going after your cars, your gas range, your dishwasher, your ceiling fans and anything else they think is fashionable with no justifiable reasons to support their causes.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
tigerhonaker (08-30-2023), Webfiero (08-31-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:24 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

couple the above with Ford CEO saying all electric lineup is not optimal and you nee multiple powertrains available (ICE, EV, Hybrid). Will be curious to see if porsche does go with every model sans 911 as full EV. Dealers here in the northeast and I think more broadly pushed back on porsche on all ev macan so now they are looking into selling side by side with the ICE model. That along with the 718 which sadly does not seem to have picked up any early interest (two dealers up here have a whopping 0 people "waiting" for one)
Old 08-29-2023, 01:12 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 335 Posts

The picture posted by @Archimedes supposedly showing a few Charging stations from LA to SF is very miss-leading. Our Charging infrastructure is less then 21% of Petrol (gas) stations, and that is the problem that early EV uses are facing. Add the non-working Charger that Shmee encountered, and the problem is clear. So don't "bash the messenger" if you can't accept the reality.

Shmee just experienced what Ford CEO Jim Farley did, as Farley got his "Reality Check" trying to drive a F150 EV from LA to Las Vegas. Soon afterwards, Ford announces that it is shifting focus from the pure EV F150 to a Hybrid F150.

Yes, even California is no where near making a transition to a pure EV driving experience. EVs currently can be great as a daily commuter, to and from home charger to work charger. Yet our public charging infrastructure need significant build-out, and that's what Shmee and Farley experienced. The Hybrid might be the best solution as a transition from Petrol to Electric.

Here is another
. Good to and from work, crap for any road trip.
tigerhonaker (08-30-2023)

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread