Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 06:11 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 401 Posts

Porsche may have an 800 mile range battery up their sleeve....this would be a game changer

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-bu...ge-ev-porsche/
Old 09-01-2023, 11:17 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Porsche may have an 800 mile range battery up their sleeve....this would be a game changer

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-bu...ge-ev-porsche/
I got a bridge I can see you too if you believe that bull****.
The following 2 users liked this post by thuggo:
abarthguy (09-02-2023), pkalhan (09-03-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 06:43 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

When is the EV Cayman/Boxster coming out fall of 2024?

Is model year 2024 the last year of the ICE Cayman/Boxster?
Old 09-02-2023, 02:08 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 575 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Talk about miss-information....... Did you actually read these miss-information articles?? Yup, lobbying is taking place on both sides of this coin with lots of half truths going around. Some of these articles take a total "Micro" view of the EV itself vs. the ICE vehicle. Total disregard for where the Electricity comes from, how it is generated, how it gets to the EV, the upcharge cost at Charging stations, the fact EV don't pay "Road Use Tax".......yet, the environmental impact from Battery manufacturing, etc, etc, etc........

Yes the EV will benefit the City Centers that have a high concentration of cars and potential air quality issues, yet they simply export the pollution to other locations.
And you absolutely want to reduce emissions in high density city centers. Combustion of fossil fuels creates: CO2, NOx, carbon monoxide, unburnt hydrocarbons, particulate matter. Back in the day when we had higher levels of sulphur in fuel, it led to acid rain. Further back in the day with leaded fuel, lead can cause birth defects, brain and nervous system damage. With direct injection engines, as opposed to port injection, we get particulate matter. Which is why many modern gas cars come with particulate filters. Diesel vehicles have had PM filters for a while now. All these pollutants are especially harmful to kids who still have developing lungs. Plenty of studies showing the negative impact of vehicle emissions on respiratory systems and also long-term impaired learning in kids that are exposed to high levels of air pollution.

Some more info on emissions
https://www.thermalfluidscentral.org...ustion_Engines

Let's get some other things out of the way. Gas doesn't magically appear in the storage tanks at gas stations. First, oil has to be pulled out of the ground. Modern fracking isn't exactly environmentally friendly. In Texas right now which is in a serious drought, fracking is taking away water that could otherwise be used by people. It takes energy and emissions to pull oil out of the ground, transport it around the world to refineries, refine oil into gas, and then transport to gas stations. Lots of old gas storage tanks leak into the ground too. And the occasional oil spill. Did I mention that most of the oil reserves in the world are located in countries we don't get along with? Energy independence is a national security issue and we don't have even remotely the big pile of oil in our reserves.

EVs are much more efficient in using the energy they carry. Motors and inverters are ~95% efficient. Taking into account losses from charging/filling the car, you're still over 80% efficiency. Typical modern gas engines are peak efficiency of ~40%, but that's only when you're operating in the load and rpm range for peak efficiency which is typically about 2/3 load and 1/3 rpm. Most of the time we're operating at low loads where brake thermal efficiency is only like 20%.

Energy production? Even Texas is about 1/5th renewable now. https://www.ercot.com/
At the instant I'm typing this, California ISO is getting 45% of its energy from renewable. https://www.caiso.com/Pages/default.aspx

Johnny Lieberman wrote a pretty good summary and this dude is not even remotely a 'greenie'.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...being-lied-to/

Last edited by spdracerut; 09-02-2023 at 02:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kheires (09-06-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:57 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
And you absolutely want to reduce emissions in high density city centers.......
Full agreement with you on this! It's one of the places where EV have a definite benefit over ICE vehicles. Yet the Charging Infrastructure for the non-single family dwelling (City Apartment) needs vast improvement. Condo & Apartment Associations need to step up and pay to install the Charging stations in their overnight parking locations.

Then, on the other hand...... out in the less populated areas, EV are pretty useless for meeting the needs of many consumers.

As I said, "Build a better mouse trap and folks will buy it". So far EV adoption is not going very well across the country. I support EVs in certain locations/situations, yet lets not force it into situations where it just does not work that well....... And lets not forget where the vast majority of electric Power Generation comes from ..... Fossil fuels;

U.S. utility-scale electricity generation by source, amount, and share of total (Data as of February 2023)

Energy source Billion kWh Share of total Total - all sources 4,243

Fossil fuels (total) 2,554 60.2%
Natural gas 1,689 39.8%
Coal 828 19.5%
Petroleum (total) 23 0.6%
Petroleum liquids 16 0.4%
Petroleum coke 7 0.2%
Other gases3 12 0.3%
Nuclear 772 18.2%

Non-CO2 Renewables (total) 843 19.8%
Wind 435 10.2%
Hydropower 262 6.2%
Solar (total) 146 3.4%
Renewables - Biomass (total) 53 1.3%
Wood 37 0.9%
Landfill gas 9 0.2%
Municipal solid waste (biogenic) 6 0.1%
Other biomass waste 2 0.1%
Renewables - Geothermal 17 0.4%

So Wind and Solar account for less than 15% of our Electricity Generation across the country. Places like AZ, SoCal, TX that have vast Deserts are good for Wind & Solar, yet much of the US does not have the space for large Wind & Solar farms. So again, one solution does not fit all situations. Let EVs thrive where they provide the most benefits, and let ICE Vehicle thrive where they provide the best solution.

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
abarthguy (09-04-2023), kwikit356 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 04:46 PM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts
Talking

At the instant I'm typing this, California ISO is getting 45% of its energy from renewable. https://www.caiso.com/Pages/default.aspx
I work in the energy industry for one of the largest power utility providers in the country and i must admit, I always get a good kick out of people using California ISO as their example for thriving renewable success; What their data fails to tell you is the amount of power they are buying from neighboring states to curtail their own generation shortcomings. Man if i had the resources I'd be chomping at the bit to build a combined cycle plant right on california's border so i could sell them megawatts every day

I am all for the push for greener technology in reducing emissions however lets not try and pretend our power grids are anywhere that close on sustaining with renewables lol. We will (for quite a long while still) need a decent amount of available fossil capacity...... and in instances where there isnt..... just look at what ERCOT had to deal with during URI. Yikes

Last edited by MechEngr1287; 09-02-2023 at 04:50 PM.
George from MD (09-04-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 09:01 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Is model year 2024 the last for the ICE Cayman/Boxster?
Old 09-02-2023, 09:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
No
abarthguy (09-04-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 11:17 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

At the instant I am typing this, California ISO is getting less than 10% of its electric power from renewables.... And it's 7:17pm, with the sun still shining for a while....

Time to plug in the EV and charge it up with 90% Fossil Fuel Electricity!

Last edited by 981KMAN; 09-02-2023 at 11:21 PM.
abarthguy (09-04-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 11:29 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnauto
My understanding is MY 2026 will be the last for the 718 ICE platform. Yet that could change based on many factors. We will have to see how it all plays out.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:02 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

At the instant I am typing this, California ISO is getting less than 10% of its electric power from renewables.... And it's 7:17pm, with the sun still shining for a while....

Originally Posted by MechEngr1287
I work in the energy industry for one of the largest power utility providers in the country and i must admit, I always get a good kick out of people using California ISO as their example for thriving renewable success; What their data fails to tell you is the amount of power they are buying from neighboring states to curtail their own generation shortcomings. Man if i had the resources I'd be chomping at the bit to build a combined cycle plant right on california's border so i could sell them megawatts every day

I am all for the push for greener technology in reducing emissions however let’s not try and pretend our power grids are anywhere that close on sustaining with renewables lol. We will (for quite a long while still) need a decent amount of available fossil capacity...... and in instances where there isnt..... just look at what ERCOT had to deal with during URI. Yikes
Where I live they say all of the energy is produced using clean sources. Is that not true? Is it clean only until they run out and then…
Old 09-04-2023, 02:52 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

I do the vast majority of my charging during the day which also helps with the duck curve. But we as a civilization have an amazing ability to build things. Wind and solar power generation capacity has accelerated since 2010.

And if you knew anything about solar, you'd know a factor in the power generation of a panel is dependent on the angle of incidence of the light onto the panel. Maximum power generation occurs when the sunlight is normal to the panel which is why all panels in the northern hemisphere are angled towards the south and max power generation is at solar noon. As the sun is setting at this time of year past 7pm, it has very low angle of incidence.

Last edited by spdracerut; 09-04-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:03 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MechEngr1287

I am all for the push for greener technology in reducing emissions however lets not try and pretend our power grids are anywhere that close on sustaining with renewables lol. We will (for quite a long while still) need a decent amount of available fossil capacity...... and in instances where there isnt..... just look at what ERCOT had to deal with during URI. Yikes
Rome wasn't built in a day right? Neither was our power grid. Nor our highway system or gasoline infrastructure. How many decades it take to build all the natural gas combined cycle plants to phase out the coal plants? By my count, it started 6 decades ago. The NG combined cycle plants are commendable in their ~70% thermal efficiency; well, that's what they were 20 years ago when I last studied them. Hopefully they've gotten a bit better since. In that time solar PV efficiency has increased from ~10% to ~20%. The other part of the infrastructure equation that needs to be built is energy storage to go along with renewable power generation as we all know wind and solar fluctuate over the course of a day. This is where bi-directional charging of EVs can be a factor. I was looking at ERCOT and Texas has an interesting geographical situation where they do get a relatively steady stream of renewable. Wind dies down during the day when solar picks up and wind goes up at night when solar goes down.

Last edited by spdracerut; 09-04-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:53 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Can we get back on topic please.

This is a thread about the 718 follow-on EV car.

There are plenty of other corners of RL to discuss power grids, EV viability, politics, etc…

Unstock (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 11:43 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Can we get back on topic please.

This is a thread about the 718 follow-on EV car.

There are plenty of other corners of RL to discuss power grids, EV viability, politics, etc…
completely agree!

Id like to hear everyone’s predictions of the specs of the first 718 EV generation. I’ll go first——/

weight- car and driver said porsches goal was 3650. I expect that weight would be for the entry level model with fewer miles of range and only one motor.
Still I’m thinking the top of the line cayman ev will be approx 4,000 lbs and mid range In between those two figures.

power-
Entry level model - 325 torque
Mid range model- 375 torque dual motor
Top of the line model —425 torque dual motor

range
entry level -250 miles
mid range -280 miles
top o line —320 miles

let me know what you all predict for the specs of the first generation of 718 EVs!

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread