Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 04:15 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nd01
My suspicion all along has been that the EV Boxster will actually be a higher end trim and sit significantly above the GTS price point.
I wish them luck but who will pay more for the EV if the GTS is still available? I'm sure it will be blazing fast.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (08-06-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 04:28 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Um, I'm the market.
I guess the good news is that you won't have any issues getting an allocation, just beware of that depreciation hit...
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
borivojc (08-11-2023), tonie90 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 12:10 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 210 Posts

double post

Last edited by Unstock; 08-06-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:14 PM
Unstock
Pro

Originally Posted by nd01
My suspicion all along has been that the EV Boxster will actually be a higher end trim and sit significantly above the GTS price point.
All EV versions cost $8k-$10k+ over the base ICE version. We're looking at getting a 2024 Hyundia Kona Electric for my wife and the price difference from the 2023 base ICE Kona and the 2023 electric Kona will be $9k for the electric. The EV battery version is always much more $$$. I wouldn't be surprised if the 718 EV starts at $75k-$85k. The 718 EV won't start at that $100k mark, it won't sell at that price point. I sure people will be able to spec it well above that $110k+ mark when loading in many options and checking all the boxes. As for weight, I don't think it will add 1,000lbs to the current ICE versions. The EV battery versions usually weight 500-600lbs more then the ICE version on this size car. Plus, Porsche has been testing with a new battery technology for EV batteries, Lithium-Silicon. Lithium-Silicon EV batteries will add 30%-50% more range to EV vehicles at about the same weight. I'm sure Porsche will incorporate this technology into the new 718 to keep it light as possible for performance. I would say right around 200+ miles of range on a full charge will be what Porsche is looking at to achieve the performance they're looking for. They will also most likely have a long range version with a larger battery that will get 250+ to 300+ miles on a full charge depending on the battery technology used. If Porsche uses the Lithium-Silicon batteries in the new 718's this could be a game changer for small electric sports cars. I'm not thrilled about the 718's going fully electric by 2025 but I at least have hope it will be an amazing car and be better then any other EV sports car in the market. I won't be getting rid of my 718 Spyder for a EV version no matter how great it might be because I love my Spyder.

Quote taken from the link below regarding Lithium-Silicon batteries
"Fichtner says that we can expect future Porsches to have a range of 1,300 km (807.78 miles) or increases in range of around 30 to 50 percent."

Lithium-Silicon battery article
Old 08-06-2023, 07:45 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m getting a model year 2024 Cayman S. Is the EV Cayman all electric model year 2025 or model year 2026?
Old 08-06-2023, 08:10 PM
Unstock
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnauto
I’m getting a model year 2024 Cayman S. Is the EV Cayman all electric model year 2025 or model year 2026?
Old 08-07-2023, 11:25 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstock
All EV versions cost $8k-$10k+ over the base ICE version. We're looking at getting a 2024 Hyundia Kona Electric for my wife and the price difference from the 2023 base ICE Kona and the 2023 electric Kona will be $9k for the electric. The EV battery version is always much more $$$. I wouldn't be surprised if the 718 EV starts at $75k-$85k. The 718 EV won't start at that $100k mark, it won't sell at that price point. I sure people will be able to spec it well above that $110k+ mark when loading in many options and checking all the boxes. As for weight, I don't think it will add 1,000lbs to the current ICE versions. The EV battery versions usually weight 500-600lbs more then the ICE version on this size car. Plus, Porsche has been testing with a new battery technology for EV batteries, Lithium-Silicon. Lithium-Silicon EV batteries will add 30%-50% more range to EV vehicles at about the same weight. I'm sure Porsche will incorporate this technology into the new 718 to keep it light as possible for performance. I would say right around 200+ miles of range on a full charge will be what Porsche is looking at to achieve the performance they're looking for. They will also most likely have a long range version with a larger battery that will get 250+ to 300+ miles on a full charge depending on the battery technology used. If Porsche uses the Lithium-Silicon batteries in the new 718's this could be a game changer for small electric sports cars. I'm not thrilled about the 718's going fully electric by 2025 but I at least have hope it will be an amazing car and be better then any other EV sports car in the market. I won't be getting rid of my 718 Spyder for a EV version no matter how great it might be because I love my Spyder.

Quote taken from the link below regarding Lithium-Silicon batteries
"Fichtner says that we can expect future Porsches to have a range of 1,300 km (807.78 miles) or increases in range of around 30 to 50 percent."

Lithium-Silicon battery article
This in of itself is why im not optimistic the 718 EV will last past a couple model years. Being friends with some sales guys in the northeast, they haven't registered any interest from people. A GM asked me if I wanted to put my name down for one and sell my Cayman S. When asked how many people he had who were interested, he laughed and said 0.

Good on you btw because your car looks fantastic, and im sure sounds it.
Unstock (08-08-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 12:38 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by tonie90
This in of itself is why im not optimistic the 718 EV will last past a couple model years. Being friends with some sales guys in the northeast, they haven't registered any interest from people. A GM asked me if I wanted to put my name down for one and sell my Cayman S. When asked how many people he had who were interested, he laughed and said 0.

Good on you btw because your car looks fantastic, and im sure sounds it.

it all depends on the price to performance ratio....If they do in fact make a GT4 killer at a lower price point, it will sell well, but are they willing to do that? Cuz if it is a GT4 killer it will smash mosrt 911's also.

I've had my Model 3 Performance for six months now and still enjoy the hell out of the insane acceleration and handling aspects of what is basically a mid engine sports sedan due to the wieght distribution and low CG due to the battery placement...I can't wait to see what Porsche will do with an actual sports car matched with the incredible acceleration and low CG EV's achieve.

I'm not sure how good the Porsche EV infrastructure is as far as charging network, but I'm sure they will be well prepared for what they say is the begining of the end of the ICE vehicles as they aim to be 70% EV by 2030, but I would venture to say most people who are buing these vehicles will have access to home charging, which imo is a must for EV ownership.

Good news is that your ICE 718 will go up in value over time due to the bad news that they will no longer offer an ICE version to order after 2024

Old 08-09-2023, 12:59 AM
dalexeenko
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
it all depends on the price to performance ratio....If they do in fact make a GT4 killer at a lower price point, it will sell well, but are they willing to do that? Cuz if it is a GT4 killer it will smash mosrt 911's also.

I've had my Model 3 Performance for six months now and still enjoy the hell out of the insane acceleration and handling aspects of what is basically a mid engine sports sedan due to the wieght distribution and low CG due to the battery placement...I can't wait to see what Porsche will do with an actual sports car matched with the incredible acceleration and low CG EV's achieve.

I'm not sure how good the Porsche EV infrastructure is as far as charging network, but I'm sure they will be well prepared for what they say is the begining of the end of the ICE vehicles as they aim to be 70% EV by 2030, but I would venture to say most people who are buing these vehicles will have access to home charging, which imo is a must for EV ownership.

Good news is that your ICE 718 will go up in value over time due to the bad news that they will no longer offer an ICE version to order after 2024
How do you like your Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. 718? What are the pros and cons of each (including on the track)?
Old 08-09-2023, 01:25 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dalexeenko
How do you like your Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. 718? What are the pros and cons of each (including on the track)?
well unfortunately, it kinda ruined the 718 for me....and pretty much every gas car I have driven since.

I drove the M3P for about two straight weeks when I got it in February of this year. I literally thought something was wrong with my 718 when I finally took it out of the garage and drove it. I'm not even kidding...I thought maybe the floor mat was blocking the gas pedal or the fuel injection was clogged, but nope, it was perfectly fine, just slow, very very slow compared to the car I had been driving the prior two weeks. The isntant acceleration is mind boggling and is nothing like I've ever driven or been in... It's hard to explain, it is just something you have to experience. 0-60 in an instant with zero hesitation

I still love the 718 for it's looks and beautiful lines along with the analog feel of the 6MT, but it is no shock to me that the M3P has better lap times than even the 4.0 GTS(and many other highly regarded sports cars) with the same driver on the same track... It handles really well and is a point and shoot type of car that has a go-kart like feel.

The sky is the limit with electric sports cars, they are the future like it or not, but they will still be a hard sell for the motor heads regardless of how well they perform....which is fine, theyre not for everybody

FloraFauna (08-28-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 08:43 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 381 Posts

well unfortunately, it kinda ruined the 718 for me....and pretty much every gas car I have driven since.

I drove the M3P for about two straight weeks when I got it in February of this year. I literally thought something was wrong with my 718 when I finally took it out of the garage and drove it. I'm not even kidding...I thought maybe the floor mat was blocking the gas pedal or the fuel injection was clogged, but nope, it was perfectly fine, just slow, very very slow compared to the car I had been driving the prior two weeks. The isntant acceleration is mind boggling and is nothing like I've ever driven or been in... It's hard to explain, it is just something you have to experience. 0-60 in an instant with zero hesitation

I still love the 718 for it's looks and beautiful lines along with the analog feel of the 6MT, but it is no shock to me that the M3P has better lap times than even the 4.0 GTS(and many other highly regarded sports cars) with the same driver on the same track... It handles really well and is a point and shoot type of car that has a go-kart like feel.

The sky is the limit with electric sports cars, they are the future like it or not, but they will still be a hard sell for the motor heads regardless of how well they perform....which is fine, theyre not for everybody

Good luck spending a day at the track with a Tesla M3P...or any EV for that matter. I would be surprised if you could finish a 30-minute session against any Cayman before you are...outta gas, as they say. That, of course, will change, but I don't expect for several years. Plus, I am not aware of any tracks with sufficient charging system infrastructure to support any EVs for a "day at the track.:
The following 2 users liked this post by HelpMeHelpU:
George from MD (08-09-2023), GT Omologata (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:58 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Good luck spending a day at the track with a Tesla M3P...or any EV for that matter. I would be surprised if you could finish a 30-minute session against any Cayman before you are...outta gas, as they say. That, of course, will change, but I don't expect for several years. Plus, I am not aware of any tracks with sufficient charging system infrastructure to support any EVs for a "day at the track.:
yeah, unfortunately I don't track either of them at the moment...tracks are 100's of miles away and I just don't have the time or money to invest in it at the moment.

Only about 2% of the driving population track their cars, so a vast majority of the car buying public won't be worrying about how many laps they can get out of it.....doesn't mean you can't have fun embarrasing dude's in Mustangs and Hell Cats that try to test you at stop lights though
Old 08-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The question is, if offered side-by-side for approximately the same price, would people take a GTS 4.0 with the sound and analog feel or would they take a heavier, silent, digital 718 EV that will destroy the GTS, at least on the street. Speed does matter in a sports car and it does become an interesting choice. It's kind of strange when a 4 door sedan or even an SUV from Tesla can annihilate your "sports car."

For me, after driving a Tesla for many years, I would absolutely take the GTS or any flavor of the ICE 718 over the EV version. Acceleration is slower, but everything else that brings driving enjoyment is on a different level. I find the ICE versions more engaging, special and something I will want to own years from now. I'm sure the 718 EV will be amazing, but in a few years it will be just as obsolete as my iPhone from 5 years ago. There is nothing special about my old Tesla or my old iPhone. But a Porsche 911 Carrera T or a 987 Cayman R, etc. are cars that are still desirable and special in their own way, despite being slower and having older technology.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsched:
borivojc (08-11-2023), George from MD (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 05:15 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

but it is no shock to me that the M3P has better lap times than even the 4.0 GTS(and many other highly regarded sports cars) with the same driver on the same track..
Reference please
Old 08-09-2023, 05:40 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsched
. Speed does matter in a sports car and it does become an interesting choice. It's kind of strange when a 4 door sedan or even an SUV from Tesla can annihilate your "sports car."
annihilate... yeah sure
Without any turn ... maybe. but life is not from a stoplight to the next one (in a strictly straight direction).

Well ... I had already several meetings with the all-EV folks BUT... they never really engage, and for a good reason.
Best I found: a Taycan Turbo trying to stay on par with my Pana Turbo-S Hybrid above 200 ...it coulnd't , and he was slipstreaming behind me. Fast, indeed he was fast, but he was slowly losing grip everytime I opened gas (again Taycan was slipstreaming).
So... don't believe all the hype, please. At least for now.

Last edited by GT Omologata; 08-09-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread