Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 08:29 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 345 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Omologata
just watched Steve Sutcliffe (not some tiktoker with a Lambo), putting two heavy weights from the oppposite worlds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh6HkIEUTDQ

...apologies if someone thinks it's OT but I think instead that (even if clearly sponsored) would add more sense to discussion than using Tesla as an example of what is doing Porsche.
Still, I don't think I would have never traded my GTS4.0 for a brand new top-of-line future cayman, likely not even for a beefy add. Do that means I'm too old ?
Very cool video but I can't say a Rimac is a fair comparison considering it's about 2 million dollars or more. Absolutely nobody can afford that except the tycoons of the world. So unfortunately, I'd say Tesla is still a better comparison b/c of the price.

Regardless. That Rimac must be absolutely bananas to drive. Good looking car and appears blazing fast.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:34 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
soo without an engine in the middle...no more rear vs. mid engine debate?
taycan/cayman = just a diff body shape?
interesting observation

I'm guessing the electric motors will be just part of the axles. No more differentials needed?

Last edited by reacp911; 02-26-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:55 PM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
interesting observation

I'm guessing the electric motors will be just part of the axles. No more differentials needed?
Porsche has indicated the battery will be behind the driver, basically in the same place as a mid-engine arrangement. This will allow for a "mid-engine" type driving feel and a lower driving position.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:54 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Very cool video but I can't say a Rimac is a fair comparison considering it's about 2 million dollars or more. t.
No no, I agree with you... I didn't actually mean that.
My thought was that video may be a methapor about what is coming upon us.

Last edited by GT Omologata; 02-27-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:08 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
Porsche has indicated the battery will be behind the driver, basically in the same place as a mid-engine arrangement. This will allow for a "mid-engine" type driving feel and a lower driving position.
Now, that start to sound interesting...
The 4.0L weigh (more or less) 200kg, assuming a Li-ion power density of 180-200 Wh/Kg things don't add up
I mean, either we have a EV cayman weighing 2 tons or the new toy gonna have no more than 100 miles range at mediuum high speed (with 200kg of Li-ion batteries that figure is actually quite optimistic).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited by GT Omologata; 02-27-2023 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
borivojc (08-11-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:35 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

I think the Model 3 Performance has ruined my senses....

a little anecdote from my recent experience

so, anyways...I got my new(to me) M3P a few weeks ago and had such a blast that I couldn't stop driving it...combined that with some rainy weather here and well, last week was the first time I have driven my 718 Cayman since picking up the M3P....
I swear to god I thought maybe the floor mat was stuck behind the gas pedal and was blocking the accelerator ... but I checked it and it was fine.
My Cayman was never a speed demon, it's built more for handling the twisties, but holy hell I swear I thought something was wrong with it....but I now know what it is...three weeks of driving the M3P has completely ruined my senses of what gas cars feel like......WoW!!! It's hard to explain, but the sensation you get from a car that has insane instant acceleration makes gas cars feel extremely unresponsive and slow....I think the E Cayman is going to wake a lot of people up to how insanely fast an EV actually is....I know they get a lot of hate around here, but I'm absolutely loving this thing!!! I can not wait to see what Porsche does with the E-Cayman....

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 03-07-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:38 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,525 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I think you're right. Something in you definitely got ruined.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
abarthguy (03-09-2023), manifold danger (03-15-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:11 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I think you're right. Something in you definitely got ruined.

haha...someday, you too will see what I mean..... 2035 is just around the corner until then, enjoy that horse and buggy

don't get me wrong...I still love my 718......she still looks great going slow

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 03-07-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,406 Likes on 2,331 Posts

An electric SUV is ok by me (I have a deposit on an EQG) but my sports car will always be ICE!
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (03-12-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 745 Posts

Have never driven a Tesla. Have driven various Taycans.

booked a Tesla Model 3 rental from Hertz. Looking forward to seeing what it’s about.

EV would be great around town. Charging infrastructure is the killer here for longer distances (2-5 hr drives)

Old 03-07-2023, 07:11 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

haha...someday, you too will see what I mean..... 2035 is just around the corner until then, enjoy that horse and buggy

don't get me wrong...I still love my 718......she still looks great going slow
To each his own! Honestly, 0-60 times and power output are almost irrelevant to me. I went from an Alfa GTV6 with 154bhp to a BMW Z4 (worst car purchase choice I ever made) with 225 bhp. I still miss my GTV6 and never should have sold it. The extra power of the Z4 was irrelevant. The GTV6 was far more fun and engaging to drive. Then I moved from the Z4 to a 981S with 315bhp. I drive aggressively and autocross but don't track my cars. (I'm far from a great driver, but I have taken 4 full days of Skip Barber High Performance Driving classes so I'm not a total noob). I redline my vehicles pretty regularly in 1st gear and sometimes 2nd, but the extra 90bhp of the 981 was hardly noticeable, because for road driving and even autocrossing, it really serves no purpose other than bragging rights. The 981S was pure magic to drive and was superior in every metric to the Z4, but not because of the extra power. Then I went up another 99bhp with my Spyder. My Spyder is beyond fantastic, but not because of the power. The power is irrelevant to me. The 981S had more than enough. I also have a 992GTS with a completely absurd 473bhp. I love it, and love driving it, but honestly I think the 992 T is a "better" car and still has more than enough power. I also have a Citroen 2CV with 28bhp (yes 28). I love driving that too, and the absolute last thing it needs is more power. But I understand the addiction to power that most car guys have. I just don't have that affliction.

I think the horsepower wars have ruined cars. Modern cars have way too much power. The only reason we don't kill ourselves daily is because of all the safety gizmos that continually engage to keep us on the road. Without them, there would be as many wrecked, twisted car carcasses on the road as deer carcasses.

But I'm certainly in the minority. Every EV manufacturer will surely sell every one that they can make. But not to me. I'll most likely never buy another new car when manual transmissions are no longer made. That's really the only problem I have with EVs. A vehicle without a manual is just an appliance to me no matter how fast it can make toast.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-07-2023 at 07:16 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
borivojc (08-11-2023), Growler48 (03-16-2023), GT Omologata (03-08-2023), IndigoInkTaco (03-08-2023), kwikit356 (03-14-2023), Lady Silver (03-08-2023), m77spider (03-08-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-08-2023, 10:06 AM
GT Omologata
Instructor

a little anecdote from my recent experience

so, anyways...I got my new(to me) M3P a few weeks ago and had such a blast that I couldn't stop driving it...combined that with some rainy weather here and well, last week was the first time I have driven my 718 Cayman since picking up the M3P....
I swear to god I thought maybe the floor mat was stuck behind the gas pedal and was blocking the accelerator ... but I checked it and it was fine.
My Cayman was never a speed demon, it's built more for handling the twisties, but holy hell I swear I thought something was wrong with it....but I now know what it is...three weeks of driving the M3P has completely ruined my senses of what gas cars feel like......WoW!!! It's hard to explain, but the sensation you get from a car that has insane instant acceleration makes gas cars feel extremely unresponsive and slow....I think the E Cayman is going to wake a lot of people up to how insanely fast an EV actually is....I know they get a lot of hate around here, but I'm absolutely loving this thing!!! I can not wait to see what Porsche does with the E-Cayman....
Indeed when you stick to an urban driving environment most of what you say is quite correct.
Change to inter-city driving (500km or more in a 9-10 h span (pretty common real life situation all over Europe) and you will see your ICE car as the only real working prop.
Change to a track, and you'll basically find nobody on the track with a Tesla.

Sticking to Porsche, (Tesla is such a big subject to discuss)...at this time I wouldn't change my Panamera Turbo-S E-Hybrid for a Taycan TurboS and I drived that, and drived it hard on a mountain pass (a situation where a Tesla would cry out so LOUD ) and yes I had same feelings of yours about the mind boggling performance it had, still it isn't a car for a real life...
It's a (beautiful) toy.

I can not wait to see what Porsche does with the E-Cayman....
Yep...me too, but still nobody replied to my above quick computation....

The 4.0L weigh (more or less) 200kg, assuming a Li-ion power density of 180-200 Wh/Kg things don't add up
I mean, either we have a EV cayman weighing 2 tons or the new toy gonna have no more than 100 miles range at mediuum high speed (with 200kg of Li-ion batteries that figure is actually quite optimistic).

AUTONOMY, guys, is the actual problem, not performances

Last edited by GT Omologata; 03-08-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:37 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Indeed when you stick to an urban driving environment most of what you say is quite correct.
Change to inter-city driving (500km or more in a 9-10 h span (pretty common real life situation all over Europe) and you will see your ICE car as the only real working prop.
Change to a track, and you'll basically find nobody on the track with a Tesla.

Sticking to Porsche, (Tesla is such a big subject to discuss)...at this time I wouldn't change my Panamera Turbo-S E-Hybrid for a Taycan TurboS and I drived that, and drived it hard on a mountain pass (a situation where a Tesla would cry out so LOUD ) and yes I had same feelings of yours about the mind boggling performance it had, still it isn't a car for a real life...
It's a (beautiful) toy.

Yep...me too, but still nobody replied to my above quick computation....

AUTONOMY, guys, is the actual problem, not performances
you should watch some YouTube videos(just search "Model 3 Performance vs ") and you'll find plenty of track video of it doing quite well on a track actually...fastestlaps.com shows it faster around a track,using same driver also btw, than a 718 CS, 718 4.0 GTS, 981 GTS, GT3's and plenty of other cars most people would consider great cars.... . It is much more than just a 0-60 monster(btw, the Taycan Turbo S is high up on this list..it is a beast, but 4x's the price too)

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/top-gear-track

98% of the population will never track their cars obviously, but it just shows you how well these cars can do in every day driving and some fun mountain passes.

I don't know of another car at it's price point that has the performance along with the practicality ...it is unmatched...it is the perfect car for real life...especially here where gas is back to $5 a gal.
If a very young car company can do that with a 4 door sedan, I can't wait to see what Porsche is going to do with it's first electric "sports car"
Old 03-08-2023, 05:44 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
To each his own! Honestly, 0-60 times and power output are almost irrelevant to me. I went from an Alfa GTV6 with 154bhp to a BMW Z4 (worst car purchase choice I ever made) with 225 bhp. I still miss my GTV6 and never should have sold it. The extra power of the Z4 was irrelevant. The GTV6 was far more fun and engaging to drive. Then I moved from the Z4 to a 981S with 315bhp. I drive aggressively and autocross but don't track my cars. (I'm far from a great driver, but I have taken 4 full days of Skip Barber High Performance Driving classes so I'm not a total noob). I redline my vehicles pretty regularly in 1st gear and sometimes 2nd, but the extra 90bhp of the 981 was hardly noticeable, because for road driving and even autocrossing, it really serves no purpose other than bragging rights. The 981S was pure magic to drive and was superior in every metric to the Z4, but not because of the extra power. Then I went up another 99bhp with my Spyder. My Spyder is beyond fantastic, but not because of the power. The power is irrelevant to me. The 981S had more than enough. I also have a 992GTS with a completely absurd 473bhp. I love it, and love driving it, but honestly I think the 992 T is a "better" car and still has more than enough power. I also have a Citroen 2CV with 28bhp (yes 28). I love driving that too, and the absolute last thing it needs is more power. But I understand the addiction to power that most car guys have. I just don't have that affliction.

I think the horsepower wars have ruined cars. Modern cars have way too much power. The only reason we don't kill ourselves daily is because of all the safety gizmos that continually engage to keep us on the road. Without them, there would be as many wrecked, twisted car carcasses on the road as deer carcasses.

But I'm certainly in the minority. Every EV manufacturer will surely sell every one that they can make. But not to me. I'll most likely never buy another new car when manual transmissions are no longer made. That's really the only problem I have with EVs. A vehicle without a manual is just an appliance to me no matter how fast it can make toast.
I get it...we like what we like. I had same experience with my 981 CS with PDK...I got bored of the PDK and had to get back into a 6MT and glad I did....
it's just that after driving the M3P so much lately, it now feels like a '68 VW Bug to me now

Still love her, she just feels a bit slow nowadays
Old 03-13-2023, 12:20 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...-confirmation/

Porsche also reaffirmed that deliveries of the electric Macan will commence in 2024, with an electric version of the 718 sports cars coming the following year. At first it will exist in parallel to the gas-powered Boxster and Cayman, but Porsche announced that "in the medium term" it will be exclusively available as an EV.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread