Old 12-13-2023, 06:54 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 896 Likes on 401 Posts

Old 12-13-2023, 10:12 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default 983 Boxster EV testing at Nurburgring?

Old 12-13-2023, 10:22 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
keep the price right and if it looks like this....they'll sell plenty of them.
Sales will start off slow, then taper off.
The following 5 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
IndigoInkTaco (12-14-2023), Larry Cable (12-14-2023), smegman (12-15-2023), WillyDaP (12-14-2023), Zhao (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 02:15 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Sales will start off slow, then taper off.
rofl
Old 12-14-2023, 03:23 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Old 12-14-2023, 06:44 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

I don’t know how one can think the car will look like an artist concept after seeing near production test mules with minimal cladding. It will look nothing like these renders.

This is Porsche, evolution is typical and revolution (particularly styling) is reserved for the super cars. Seeing that Nurburgring video reminded me how exhilarating driving in silence is…

Last edited by Schn3ll; 12-14-2023 at 07:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
IndigoInkTaco (12-14-2023), pgap718 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 12:48 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Seeing that Nurburgring video reminded me how exhilarating driving in silence is…
I don't know how someone can watch that and think....Yea, I want THAT lol
Old 12-14-2023, 03:05 PM
batasrki
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Watch them stick a double-wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear just to **** with us.
The following users liked this post:
MXA121 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 05:19 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

I don’t know how one can think the car will look like an artist concept after seeing near production test mules with minimal cladding. It will look nothing like these renders.

This is Porsche, evolution is typical and revolution (particularly styling) is reserved for the super cars. Seeing that Nurburgring video reminded me how exhilarating driving in silence is…
I would hope Porsche would take a shot and make it look a bit futuristic if they want to leap into the future, take a leap!! Making it look similar to what the 718 looks like is a huge mistake imo if they really want to sell any of these....the Mission R renderings are much more exciting than that boring looking test mule.

Unfortunately, it will most likely look like that test mule....sigh

yeah. it's weird....it could beat a GT3RS around the Ring - 0-60 in 3.0 sec, never need maintenance, gas or major services, be half the price of a base 911 and people still wouldn't want one cuz it doesnt make noise

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 12-14-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:54 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

yeah. it's weird....it could beat a GT3RS around the Ring - 0-60 in 3.0 sec, never need maintenance, gas or major services, be half the price of a base 911 and people still wouldn't want one cuz it doesnt make noise
Correction: people won't want them because no matter what you do to an EV, it's still a bore to drive.

Plus the added benefits of:
- Range Anxiety
- Battery degradation
- Power limitations (under certain circumstances, i.e. too cold, too hot, too little charge)
- Battery replacement cost
- Battery replacement availability (years down the road)
- Charging network
- Software glitches (I owned a taycan that spent weeks in the shop for this)
- Horrible update capabilities (if Taycan is anything to go by)
- Zero enthusiasm from community
- Same basic powertrain as every other EV ever made
- Overpriced for what it is (an appliance)

I'm sure I missed a bunch, but you get the idea. And the used market agrees with me. Selling EV's is like catching a falling knife today. I hope Porsche has a backup plan.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:52 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Correction: people won't want them because no matter what you do to an EV, it's still a bore to drive.

Plus the added benefits of:
- Range Anxiety
- Battery degradation
- Power limitations (under certain circumstances, i.e. too cold, too hot, too little charge)
- Battery replacement cost
- Battery replacement availability (years down the road)
- Charging network
- Software glitches (I owned a taycan that spent weeks in the shop for this)
- Horrible update capabilities (if Taycan is anything to go by)
- Zero enthusiasm from community
- Same basic powertrain as every other EV ever made
- Overpriced for what it is (an appliance)

I'm sure I missed a bunch, but you get the idea. And the used market agrees with me. Selling EV's is like catching a falling knife today. I hope Porsche has a backup plan.
though I have no experience with Porsche EV's, i will say my Tesla Model 3 Performance has been by far the best daily driver I ever owned, and the instant GO never gets old...Track mode is pretty cool too.
It is a joy to drive...hop in and go, no warming up the engine nonsense.
Never have had any of the issues you mention...no range anxiety, (incredible charging network and home charging) never had any issues, zero maintenance cost, power loss is minimal in hot or cold, very little battery degradation.

Yeah, if Porsche still has all those issues that you mention you had with the Taycan, they won't sell very many....hopefully they get most of those things ironed out in the next couple years.

Eric11 (12-24-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 09:50 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

though I have no experience with Porsche EV's, i will say my Tesla Model 3 Performance has been by far the best daily driver I ever owned, and the instant GO never gets old...Track mode is pretty cool too.
It is a joy to drive...hop in and go, no warming up the engine nonsense.
Never have had any of the issues you mention...no range anxiety, (incredible charging network and home charging) never had any issues, zero maintenance cost, power loss is minimal in hot or cold, very little battery degradation.

Yeah, if Porsche still has all those issues that you mention you had with the Taycan, they won't sell very many....hopefully they get most of those things ironed out in the next couple years.
Different strokes I guess.

I have a quite a bit of experience with a M3P as well (sister has one). The acceleration is good but that excitement lasts about a week and then you revert to driving it like an appliance. It's a soul-less bore of a car to me and many others.

Tesla has benefitted from a decade more time to cook their slice of the EV pie vs. the competition so the flaws are minimized. However, take a M3P to the track and see how many laps you get and range is still an issue (particularly in winter). Maintenance is also a different concern on Tesla because when it is needed and you aren't near a service center it can be a bit difficult.

Another aspect that no one discusses when it comes to EV's is the cost to repair as well as parts availability These components specific to EV's tend to be much more expensive and harder to get your hands on (generally speaking).
Old 12-15-2023, 02:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,670 Likes on 5,111 Posts

I have a quite a bit of experience with a M3P as well (sister has one). The acceleration is good but that excitement lasts about a week and then you revert to driving it like an appliance. It's a soul-less bore of a car to me and many others.
This is true for about 95% of the cars on the road.

A Camry drives about as well as an EV -- Tesla, or otherwise -- it's a utilitarian tool to get you from Point A to B and back to A.

As long as an EV handles well enough (looking at you Vinfast), it is going to be more than enough for most people as a daily driver.

The MP3 or any EV is not comparable to a Cayman or 911. Nor should they be.. But then again, they aren't benchmarked against high performance sports cars.

Tesla has benefitted from a decade more time to cook their slice of the EV pie vs. the competition so the flaws are minimized. However, take a M3P to the track and see how many laps you get and range is still an issue (particularly in winter). Maintenance is also a different concern on Tesla because when it is needed and you aren't near a service center it can be a bit difficult.

Another aspect that no one discusses when it comes to EV's is the cost to repair as well as parts availability These components specific to EV's tend to be much more expensive and harder to get your hands on (generally speaking).
Parts availability, or lack thereof, is an issue across the board for the entire automotive industry, not just EVs generally or Teslas in particular. It's the result of the shift to JIT manufacturing protocol.

And to compare how a Tesla handles on track is a red herring. A Tesla is not a track car (although it can be, as can the Taycan (ask me how I know)), so to say it does not do well on the track is a non sequitur. That's sort of like complaining that the Cayman can't seat four, or is a bad car to take to Costco to buy toilet paper.

Few cars are jack-of-all trades. An EV certainly is not in that category, but then neither is a Cayman or a 911. Each has their niche. And as a daily driver, an EV is unparrelled.

That said, a 718 EV is a sort of a square peg in search of a round hole. EVs are good daily drivers. Cayman/Boxsters generally are not (note the emphasis on "generally"). So to combine the two will be, um, interesting.

I will have my ready

Last edited by ipse dixit; 12-15-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Schn3ll (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 02:35 PM
nellborg
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

EV's are very attractive to me - but ONLY as a commuter, and heck, I'd use an electric golf cart if they went a little faster. As a trip / weekend / vacation / fun vehicle? No way.

What this means, then, is that I don't want to pay much for my EV and I don't want it loaded with an expensive interior nor lots of accessories, AND that I'm going to put my extra money into a comfortable trip / weekend / fun ICE vehicle or two.
981KMAN (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 04:58 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,793 Likes on 981 Posts

You could make similar comparisons to a camaro excluding the sound, because that still sounds good, and yet, here you are along side me on a porsche forum not driving a camaro. Big heavy sports cars aren't my jam. If i wanted one also to have crappy range and probably not even handle good this is be at the top of my cart. Can it please also have a touch screen everything too and have wifi capability? pfff. Everyone I know who likes driving for pleasure has no interest in this. If you want to buy one because you like spec sheets on paper, you're welcome to vote with your money but a lot of us just don't care about 0-60 times, nor do we care about it's lap time for it's one lap it can compete. I prefer driving more than 10 minutes at a race track personally.

Anyone else notice the crazy amount of bouncing that thing does on the track? Reminds me of when I used to put 7 guys in my moms minivan when I was a teenager and then go too fast down a bumpy road; suspension on this thing doesn't seem like it's enjoying life hauling around 700+ more lbs than the last gen.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread