Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Quick question, does his Q7 been "punched" into the dealer system, meaning never titled but used as a demo or loaner car, thus having mileage, or totally brand new that would benefit the full six-year warranty and not just the balance for the time the Q7 was punched into the dealer system? Please advise.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
They are being sold as "new".
Old 12-01-2017, 07:05 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
They are being sold as "new".
Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Ok. Just had the emissions fix done. 2013 CD with 51,000+ miles.
Basics - had the software and hardware done, loaner was a basic Macan, detailed inside and outside, full tank of diesel fuel. It was dropped off at 7:30am and picked it up at 5pm same day (faster than expected).

Initial impressions - when first sat inside I could tell it was updated as some of my electronics and "feature" settings were back to factory default; other settings were just as I had left them. No explanation as to why.

Initial drive away - the CD was warm so no noticeable changes - acceleration, interior noise (idle), all the same as pre-fix. Gear shifting was slower than before. May be due to software or adaptation of Tiptronic yet to fully integrate.

Next morning - the CD was cold and I definitely noticed higher RPMs at start and at cold idle. A few times on my drive to the office the transmission hunted for gears. Does not seem to lug as much, i.e. downshifts rather than holding the higher gear. We'll see if this changes over time and mileage.

Bottom line - there are initial changes but nothing that seems to be a deal breaker for me. I need to put many more miles on it to form a final conclusion but I am optimistic the favored CD will be back. I personally do not like the higher idle at start and sometimes it seems to be a higher idle when stopped (after a warm-up period too). But over time my internal reference will reset and I'll probably forget how it used to sound / feel.
2 cold morning starts in the garage in Ma temps in the mid 30’s since getting the car back. Rural drives roughly 7 miles to the fitness center then back. The vehicle stuck in 3rd gear both days out of the gate with absolutely no torque and no oomph. Today my wife said , “ it drives like a Hyundai “ even after it warmed up..The vehicle has lost its sole! Screw the cash we received! I feel cheated! Too boot it billowed exhaust in the garage for 30 seconds after completing today’s round trip. Had I knew this was going to be the outcome, I never would of opted for the fix! Thanks Judge Breyer!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:00 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billyg
2 cold morning starts in the garage in Ma temps in the mid 30’s since getting the car back. Rural drives roughly 7 miles to the fitness center then back. The vehicle stuck in 3rd gear both days out of the gate with absolutely no torque and no oomph. Today my wife said , “ it drives like a Hyundai “ even after it warmed up..The vehicle has lost its sole! Screw the cash we received! I feel cheated! Too boot it billowed exhaust in the garage for 30 seconds after completing today’s round trip. Had I knew this was going to be the outcome, I never would of opted for the fix! Thanks Judge Breyer!
I am in the same boat as you are. Wish I could go back and willing to payback all the claim money and more if can get CD back to original.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

So you've driven the car 7 miles (assuming each way) for two days. So thats.... 28 miles. Over 2 days. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of that 7 miles, the car was just finally getting up to full operating temp.

Put ~500 on it like the dealers are advising first.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:31 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Here's hoping my '14 has a smooth fix. Dropped it off this morning.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwares
I am in the same boat as you are. Wish I could go back and willing to payback all the claim money and more if can get CD back to original.
Wow. Those are pretty bad horror stories. I've not experienced anything like that but our low temps are not in the 30's yet. The lack of turbo boost (i.e. torque) sounds odd, I'd return to the fixing dealer and have them check the boost system. What you have described sounds much like what I experienced last winter when my boost hose became cracked (it did throw some codes too). Zero power. Once it was replaced, everything was normal again.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:19 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

So you've driven the car 7 miles (assuming each way) for two days. So thats.... 28 miles. Over 2 days. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of that 7 miles, the car was just finally getting up to full operating temp.

For me, it looks like VW/Audi/Porsche took away the software that helped the CD behave nicely in cold starts (and the reason why it was polluting more). I wonder how the other similar V6 diesels from other manufacturers (CFA, Land Rover, Mercedes, BMW) behave under similar cold weather. Anyone who had it fixed has a friend with a V6 from another manufacturer? Maybe do a comparison under cold starts?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:40 PM
billyg
Advanced

Hey, today was another day back and forth then off to do errands in 30-40 degree weather. Bottom line, it drives like CRAP! Say what you want but I feel fleeced! So driving 500 plus miles is some how going to give me back the torque and boost that’s now gone!? I don’t think so. Pissed off if in Mass!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:44 PM
billyg
Advanced

Originally Posted by visitador
For me, it looks like VW/Audi/Porsche took away the software that helped the CD behave nicely in cold starts (and the reason why it was polluting more). I wonder how the other similar V6 diesels from other manufacturers (CFA, Land Rover, Mercedes, BMW) behave under similar cold weather. Anyone who had it fixed has a friend with a V6 from another manufacturer? Maybe do a comparison under cold starts?
Agree 100%! The vehicle is a completely different animal than before the fix! Screwed! Will probably trade it in. It’s pathetic the Court approved this resolution. That’s life.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Hey, today was another day back and forth then off to do errands in 30-40 degree weather. Bottom line, it drives like CRAP! Say what you want but I feel fleeced! So driving 500 plus miles is some how going to give me back the torque and boost that’s now gone!? I don’t think so. Pissed off if in Mass!
I drove 728 miles since my CD neutered !! Don't expect performance to improve magically. Software might get used to driving but hardware, noise, gears punching would still remain.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

So driving 500 plus miles is some how going to give me back the torque and boost that’s now gone!?
Yes. That's the current instruction given by dealers. It takes some significant drive time for things to re-learn.

It would not surprise me if any learning algorithms only run once the vehicle is fully up to operating temps.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by visitador
Well - while I don't have any direct seat time, based on numerous threads I've read here over the last year, from folks considering a CD and comparing it to BMW, Benz, etc.... the CD (and Audi/VW equivalents) all drove much better than the other options.

So perhaps now what we have is now like everyone else...
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I had my cd neutered last week, I put the blue spark tuning box back on . Definitely makes a difference not as powerful as before but definitely better and gets a 2-3 mpg more than w out it. Also noticed it seems to shift smoother w tuning box. Only thing I notice from prior fix is it used to upshift sooner , the box has not improved that
Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Not sure the hype, maybe this is cold weather issue stuff. I've nearly 2k on the car 1k of towing and other than the bits I mentioned before the car feels largely the same.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue