Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 12:43 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
Midas, good question but too early for me to decide. I want to see more about the "fix". If I have to decide before the fix details are available I'll opt in.
I'm opting in to take the first half of the payout. Unless there is really compelling evidence about the fix results I'll skip the fix and second half of the payout though.

The chances of me hiring a lawyer, taking on VW individually, and coming away with a better result (meaning after the lawyer has taken their cut) is pretty damn slim by my reckoning.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Midas, good question but too early for me to decide. I want to see more about the "fix". If I have to decide before the fix details are available I'll opt in.
I'm planning to take the fix and the check.

Worst case, if the fix totally ruins the vehicle, I'll trade it in for something else. But really, there isn't much out there I'd want... even if they pull back performance and fuel mileage, so long as it's ahead of the base V6 on torque and fuel economy, the diesel is going to be my engine of choice. The base V6 just doesn't do it for me, power/torque wise, and either the 4.8 or TTV6 in a 958 "S" kinda suck on fuel economy.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I'm opting in to take the first half of the payout. Unless there is really compelling evidence about the fix results I'll skip the fix and second half of the payout though.

The chances of me hiring a lawyer, taking on VW individually, and coming away with a better result (meaning after the lawyer has taken their cut) is pretty damn slim by my reckoning.
^^^This. Except if I can drive fixed 2.1 CDs and can't feel the difference. In any event, my CD will be about 6 years old before my state could possibly force me to have the fix applied, and by then, I'll take the money and powertrain warranty. I'd also bet we'll see an additional $1,500 in delay penalties and another $500 for reduced performance. Everyday without a fix is a good day.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:54 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCayenne
I know that we have all been reading endless pages of the various tentative agreements.

Has anyone come across the section that refers to point that the dealers will have to add some form of a permanent sticker or badge under the hood to signify that the compliance repair (assuming it is approved) has occurred?

This point was in an earlier draft and I have not come across this or seen this mentioned in the latest set of documents?
DOJ documents, Appendix B
Old 03-09-2017, 01:56 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I'm planning to take the fix and the check.

Worst case, if the fix totally ruins the vehicle, I'll trade it in for something else. But really, there isn't much out there I'd want... even if they pull back performance and fuel mileage, so long as it's ahead of the base V6 on torque and fuel economy, the diesel is going to be my engine of choice. The base V6 just doesn't do it for me, power/torque wise, and either the 4.8 or TTV6 in a 958 "S" kinda suck on fuel economy.
That is exactly why I selected the Diesel. In late 2013, premium was just under $5/gal in CT.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCayenne
I know that we have all been reading endless pages of the various tentative agreements.

Has anyone come across the section that refers to point that the dealers will have to add some form of a permanent sticker or badge under the hood to signify that the compliance repair (assuming it is approved) has occurred?

This point was in an earlier draft and I have not come across this or seen this mentioned in the latest set of documents?
Accordingly from my memory from reading the DOJ documents in the emissions repair sections ... agree, a lot of them to read, there are new emissions stickers that will be added depending on circumstances.

Every emissions compliant repair will get a new emissions sticker and it appears it will also have an updated EPA fuel mileage notation (not necessarily on the new sticker though). This is supposed to be placed in the engine compartment or the underside of the hood - I can't remember which right now.

Additionally if vehicles are in the buy back category (so at least 3.0L Gen 1 at this point) and if an approved emissions repair is performed (this is different from a emission compliant repair) such that the vehicle can be legally re-sold, it too will get a new emissions sticker as noted above and I believe it will have another sticker stating it does not comform to original emissions standards but does conform to an approved modified emissions standard. Dealers who sell these vehicles also will have to issue a modified title stating such.

Lastly vehicles that are not buy back (that is the owner chooses not to sell it back) but have an approved emissions repair (not an emission compliant repair) get a new emissions sticker noting not in compliance with original emissions but with an approved modified emissions repair. I cannot recall if they also have to have a revised title issued - I think not, but not 100% on that point. I'd have to find and read it again.

EDIT - just saw skiahh posted the reference - I better go back and read it to test my memory. I'll edit the above to correct it as needed.

Last edited by stronbl; 03-09-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by midas
Just curious who here is opting out of the 3.0 settlement?
Probably no opt-out for me. I'll go the full route assuming an emission compliant repair. If not timely or not emission compliant, then I'll have to do the buyback calculation - but it won't be enough to replace the CD with an S which is how I'd proceed so then I'm out of pocket additional money. Also for now I'm pretty optimistic (naively??) that any approved emission repair will not be a significant performance hit based on the 2.0L data. Lastly I really like the emission-backed extended warranty, very well done.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I will not be opting out.

To think that after a 20 Billion Dollar deal is finalized, that a few 3.0L owners are going to get more is a lawyers-only dream.

I'm taking whatever VAG and Bosch is going to give me and driving along with all the other happy sheeple out there.

My wife is going to do the same with her 2015 Touareg TDI. She could not care less about what is going on with Dieselgate. She will take her $10,000 or whatever she will get pre-fix and if the fix is good, we'll take the other 1/2 of the payoff.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WORD

Originally Posted by BenCD

To think that after a 20 Billion Dollar deal is finalized, that a few 3.0L owners are going to get more is a lawyers-only dream.

I'm taking whatever VAG and Bosch is going to give me and driving along with all the other happy sheeple out there.

My wife is going to do the same with her 2015 Touareg TDI. She could not care less about what is going on with Dieselgate. She will take her $10,000 or whatever she will get pre-fix and if the fix is good, we'll take the other 1/2 of the payoff.
NO QUESTION.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:37 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

We'll probably stay in the class, as long as the fix doesn't neuter the vehicle. We'll take the half/Bosch payment and see how it plays out. If the fix looks good, we'll get it done. If not, we'll evaluate the options at that point.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:14 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As of right now, there is nothing more to do than to register, correct?

I decided to opt in; way better deal than I think any of us could get individually.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexaqui
As of right now, there is nothing more to do than to register, correct?

I decided to opt in; way better deal than I think any of us could get individually.
Correct. There is nothing more to do than register at this point. Register and wait.

Once 05/11/2017 comes and the judge finally inks the settlement, dates will be finalized and the money will start rolling for the 3.0L-class.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD

This.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Most so far seem to lean towards opt'ing in (with some caveats).
Curious though...how many feel that they are coming out ahead?

Personally, I don't.

VW pleads guilty and:

Sales of the German carmaker's luxury brands lifted underlying operating profit before special items 14 percent to 14.6 billion euros ($15.5 billion) in 2016, after the company reported its biggest ever loss in 2015.

(ref reuters:http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...-idUSKBN16325H)
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Most so far seem to lean towards opt'ing in (with some caveats).
Curious though...how many feel that they are coming out ahead?

Personally, I don't.

VW pleads guilty and:

Sales of the German carmaker's luxury brands lifted underlying operating profit before special items 14 percent to 14.6 billion euros ($15.5 billion) in 2016, after the company reported its biggest ever loss in 2015.

(ref reuters:http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...-idUSKBN16325H)
My wife and I feel we are coming out ahead.

She has a 2015 Touareg TDI Exec. I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Exec.

My 2012 is going to be bought back for more than I had paid for it-this makes me happier than happy, like the biggest gift I'll have ever received. It is why I bought the 2016 CD, because the CD is an awesome vehicle and I love the 3.0L TDI motor.

We each started out with the $1,000 goodwill package from VW=happy.

She will get more $$$ from VW even before a fix/modification along with the $1,500 from Bosch.

I will get more $$$ for being the owner of the 2016 CD and if the previous lessee does not register, I'll get $2,000 more plus the $1,500 from Bosch.

We are ahead by a mile as we love our trucks and are getting $$$ and warranty extensions.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue