Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No need to wonder. Sounds like actual driving experiences showing the noticeable drop in mileage with full emission compliance.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:33 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default German court clears way for investors to sue Volkswagen

Article from yesterday's Financial Times ... could be a good thing for VAG (bind all small cases into one with a common remedy, or a bad thing for VAG (bring more plaintiffs into the system that would not otherwise seek a status - thus more expensive remedy). Link to article is below.

German court clears way for investors to sue Volkswagen
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/30f9f0d2-5...#axzz4GrBZQK3O
Old 08-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts
Default VW 2.0 TDI...FYI...

FWIW: As the resident car guru in our family, in 2014 I recommended to my daughter to buy a new VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Sportwagen (M/T of course) for her first new car. My wife and daughter fought the idea of a diesel, but at the end I won, since I am the car expert!!!!

Fast forward September 2015 and VW Dieselgate... My name is now Mud! And a few months later, I eat crow I bought her a new Toyota Prius and hand her the keys, life is good, and this darn VW is sitting at my house in Chicago for almost a year.

This week I got an email from VWoA regarding the settlement filing. I "Clicked" buy-back, and they will be offering me a total buy back of ~$26,600 with an estimated buy back timing of Nov 1, 2016.

I will update this post if anything new develops.

Just wanted to update the PCAR crowd of what is going on the VW TDI side...
Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Article from yesterday's Financial Times ... could be a good thing for VAG (bind all small cases into one with a common remedy, or a bad thing for VAG (bring more plaintiffs into the system that would not otherwise seek a status - thus more expensive remedy). Link to article is below.

German court clears way for investors to sue Volkswagen
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/30f9f0d2-5...#axzz4GrBZQK3O
Wants a subscription $$$ to read. I don't believe that's worthwhile.

And since it's investors that are being allowed to sue - it wouldn't have any effect on vehicle owners unless they happen to be an investor also.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
FWIW: As the resident car guru in our family, in 2014 I recommended to my daughter to buy a new VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Sportwagen (M/T of course) for her first new car. My wife and daughter fought the idea of a diesel, but at the end I won, since I am the car expert!!!!

Fast forward September 2015 and VW Dieselgate... My name is now Mud! And a few months later, I eat crow I bought her a new Toyota Prius and hand her the keys, life is good, and this darn VW is sitting at my house in Chicago for almost a year.

This week I got an email from VWoA regarding the settlement filing. I "Clicked" buy-back, and they will be offering me a total buy back of ~$26,600 with an estimated buy back timing of Nov 1, 2016.

Strange you folks felt the need to stop driving the car and replace it with a Prius. No safety or reliability issues, just "higher" emissions.
Indeed, we are all experts, who recognized unusually good performance out of the the TDI and we went for it. We couldn't possibly know about the pollution levels.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^great question...nothing (else) wrong with car. Just that she wanted a Prius to begin with and I talked her into the VW and after this mess I just got tired of the discussions... I would have sold it way sooner, but I decided to wait for this deal.

I'm now trying to figure out if I can actually trade this VW at the same Porsche dealer where we are picking up a new Cayenne GTS for my wife ~mid-October. This could save me some taxes...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

We are pushover parents. So far the kid's fleet has included a nice Saab, Accord, Jetta GLI and recently helped a our new graduate get into a mint 2013 Infiniti G37X. Oh well, less for them to inherit.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wrong

Originally Posted by visitador
I think we had previously discussed that the extended warranty does not apply if the CD was already CPOed. Vaguely remember someone discussing this in this thread
My 2013 bought used from a private owner with CPO. Now Porsche is CPOing the CPO. I called Porsche to confirm. 8 years from in service date and 125,000 miles. 2020!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
My 2013 bought used from a private owner with CPO. Now Porsche is CPOing the CPO. I called Porsche to confirm. 8 years from in service date and 125,000 miles. 2020!
That's great. Confused about the 125,000 miles. Shouldn't that be 200,000 miles.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wants a subscription $$$ to read. I don't believe that's worthwhile.

And since it's investors that are being allowed to sue - it wouldn't have any effect on vehicle owners unless they happen to be an investor also.
Saw this one today...I know VWAG is like please stop! This is madness.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive

I will admit initially I thought this article was detailing the old emissions issue found with the 3.0L software but it seems from how this is written that this is a new finding. Anyone else reading it that way or heard similar?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:04 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Saw this one today...I know VWAG is like please stop! This is madness.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive

I will admit initially I thought this article was detailing the old emissions issue found with the 3.0L software but it seems from how this is written that this is a new finding. Anyone else reading it that way or heard similar?
"... which the company still hopes to address with just a software patch."

Sure, it's probably that simple. Change the 22 minutes to infinity and voila, instant compliance. And instant MPG crash.

This is not looking good and for the first time, has me thinking about the possibility and ramifications of a buy back program for us.

Last edited by skiahh; 08-10-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz

what was the original purchase price? Just curious
Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I will have to look at the window sticker, but I think around $29k. And then she bought extended warranty and taxes. So guessing, out the door at $32k-$33k +/-
Old 08-10-2016, 10:59 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
This is not looking good and for the first time, has me thinking about the possibility and ramifications of a buy back program for us.
Yeah. I've been steadily in the "its not that bad" camp since the beginning, but with the recent information over the last week I find myself thinking about the ramifications and being really pissed off about it.

For me this was always meant to be a long term vehicle and it hasn't reached middle age (for me) yet. Now where I was just planning to skip the fix if my state didn't require it and not being too upset if they did (since it looked like it wouldn't be a significant impact) I'm less inclined to want to deal with it. Mainly I don't want to deal with the long term of fighting the dealers to not install the fix should I have to take it to them. Where it might have been annoying but not bad, it now sound like it would be a significant change. As there will be no chance of making them un-fix it that would leave me with a seriously reduced vehicle and outside of the concession window.

So now thinking of a potential buyback and basing it the 2.0l plan I'd be looking at $40-45k of the original $72k I paid for it. That depreciation meant nothing to me when looking at having it for 10+ years, but now it would **** me off royally as I'd have to replace it with something and I'm $30k-ish in the hole from were I started.

I also find that I look at it differently now too. I couldn't care less about the whole cheating thing as I believe there is an equal amount of wrong on both sides, but while I still love it I just see frustration in the future...

Yeah. Really starting to get pissed off at the whole situation
Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Upsetting.. Yes. However, take a step back and look at the big picture. The "fix" still mean that MPG moves down to the V6 area. Admittedly, the appeal is lost on a new vehicle purchase with current price structure.

My 10 mile commute on 95% highway and 5% city in comparison. 30MPG in the CD. A V6 loaner from dealership got me 25-26MPG. I am still a buyer at V6 fuel mileage for V8 torque for DD purposes.

Who is to say that there will not be a piggyback ECU tune available from overseas to bring mileage back after the "fix?"

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue