Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016 | 02:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van1

If you'd like to get perspective from folks that actually own BMW X5d's, I'd visit: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=507 Probably one of the more active BMW F15 X5 forums I've found.
Thanks for the link. Reading through the messages, it looks like it is very important to choose the correct suspension when owning a X5
Old 08-11-2016 | 02:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Now that we think a buyback is a possibility, are we going to spend any money on our cars?
With I spend any more money on upgrades and personalization? No.

Will I continue to do what is needed to keep the car safe and meet the warranty requirements, yes.

The personalizations I'm likely to do have already been done so really this doesn't change anything for me in the "what I spend on it" category.
Old 08-11-2016 | 02:59 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

my 2 cents ... I'm like most here, really am hoping to keep the CD and have my fingers crossed that 1) there is fix, and 2) it is not a vehicle killer.

If have to buy a replacement for my needs (DD, travel, towing, minor hauling) then I'll look long and hard at the new Cayenne S (new v6 turbo). Drove one not too long ago and it was nice. Torque very similar to my CD, top end and passing speeds ramp up equal or better than CD, fuel mileage less but passable, big fuel tank available, towing available. Start/stop absolutely worthless. That alone would be a reason to have me keep the CD even if it takes a small performance hit post fix. But the Cayenne S is a reasonable backstop for me (plus I can outfit it even better than my CD, now that I know what I really want and really need).
Old 08-11-2016 | 03:42 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
my 2 cents ... I'm like most here, really am hoping to keep the CD and have my fingers crossed that 1) there is fix, and 2) it is not a vehicle killer.

If have to buy a replacement for my needs (DD, travel, towing, minor hauling) then I'll look long and hard at the new Cayenne S (new v6 turbo).
I thought about it but then read the review in the thread "diesel vs base."
Old 08-11-2016 | 07:20 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I also guess the buy back (if there is one) would have to be weighed against a fix plus any compensation they offer on top of it. If the mileage goes down, say 10-15%, but they have a decent offset, plus the warranty... it might be worth hanging onto for the duration of the warranty.

It's still all speculation at this point... I just like to be ready for whatever happens.
Old 08-11-2016 | 09:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
ok I'll give you the rest but let's not push it too much. This thing feels and drives nothing like my 911s. Even though it does drive fantastic.
No one would think that it should. It's a 5000 lb SUV, not a sports car. But that doesn't mean it does t drive like a Porsche. I've owned a lot of SUV's. And I drove the Touareg and Q7 at the same time as the Cayenne. There is a marked difference between the cars. The Cayenne drives like a Porsche. Simple as that.
Old 08-11-2016 | 11:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
I also guess the buy back (if there is one) would have to be weighed against a fix plus any compensation they offer on top of it. If the mileage goes down, say 10-15%, but they have a decent offset, plus the warranty... it might be worth hanging onto for the duration of the warranty.

It's still all speculation at this point... I just like to be ready for whatever happens.
Owners of the 2 liter cars are compensated whether they accept a fix or a buyback.
Old 08-12-2016 | 01:47 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

It's good for the 2.0s getting the compensation whether going for the buyback/lease termination or the fix but they have to declare one's intentions before knowing what the fix does. According to the court's website and unless the judgement gets revised "Eligible Sellers, however, must identify themselves by September 16, 2016 (the “Eligible Seller Identification Period”)."

Old 08-12-2016 | 11:52 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
It's good for the 2.0s getting the compensation whether going for the buyback/lease termination or the fix but they have to declare one's intentions before knowing what the fix does. According to the court's website and unless the judgement gets revised "Eligible Sellers, however, must identify themselves by September 16, 2016 (the “Eligible Seller Identification Period”)."
By my reading, they only have to identify themselves. They can hold off until the fix is approved, and if they do not like the fix, they can still elect for the buyback at 2015 prices. This is because the fix is not yet set forth and approved.

It's actually pretty beneficial, as the buyback price is set no matter how many miles. So you can drive a year and not take any depreciation hit.
Old 08-12-2016 | 12:16 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

I'm not going to question your reading but the mileage at the time of turn in will affect the buyback number.

Vehicle Value refers to the Eligible Vehicle’s Base Value, adjusted for Original Equipment Manufacturer (“OEM”)-installed options and mileage. (Id. ¶ 12.) Options adjustments to Base Values are determined by using Volkswagen OEM-installed options, as valued by the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide. (Id. ¶ 12(a).) Mileage adjustments to Base Values are determined by the actual mileage at the time the vehicle is surrendered in the Buyback or brought in for a Fix using the mileage adjustment table in the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide with an allowance for standard NADA mileage of 12,500 miles per year, prorated monthly from September 2015 to the month of surrender. (Id. ¶ 12(b).)
Old 08-12-2016 | 06:13 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
I'm not going to question your reading but the mileage at the time of turn in will affect the buyback number.

Vehicle Value refers to the Eligible Vehicle’s Base Value, adjusted for Original Equipment Manufacturer (“OEM”)-installed options and mileage. (Id. ¶ 12.) Options adjustments to Base Values are determined by using Volkswagen OEM-installed options, as valued by the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide. (Id. ¶ 12(a).) Mileage adjustments to Base Values are determined by the actual mileage at the time the vehicle is surrendered in the Buyback or brought in for a Fix using the mileage adjustment table in the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide with an allowance for standard NADA mileage of 12,500 miles per year, prorated monthly from September 2015 to the month of surrender. (Id. ¶ 12(b).)
I think no matter what, the outcome is going to be subpar for us owners. I just got back from a 3k mile family trip with the car fully loaded (roof storage system, bikes hanging off the hitch mount), and cannot imagine a better car just the way it is. I have been pretty vocal about the loss of depreciation when this whole fiasco started as I was in process of selling privately and/or considering a trade. As I have downsized from 3 cars to 2, the miles are starting to add up and have invested in maintaining the car at a continued A+ level. Getting 30k for the car leaves me with having to come up with more money to buy a lesser car. My guess is getting the fix completed is also going to have some detrimental impact.

It is a real shame as the CD is the best overall vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 08-12-2016 | 08:38 PM
pwhite52
Instructor

I'm trying to get my head around the 'buy back' if I'm not the original owner. I'm looking at a '15 CD that has all the options I want at a reasonable price. If I pull the trigger now and the 'fix' isn't acceptable, will I be eligible for the 'buy back' and therefor lose nothing? I'm not looking to gain anything, I just don't want to lose.
Old 08-12-2016 | 11:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexaqui
I think no matter what, the outcome is going to be subpar for us owners. I just got back from a 3k mile family trip with the car fully loaded (roof storage system, bikes hanging off the hitch mount), and cannot imagine a better car just the way it is. I have been pretty vocal about the loss of depreciation when this whole fiasco started as I was in process of selling privately and/or considering a trade. As I have downsized from 3 cars to 2, the miles are starting to add up and have invested in maintaining the car at a continued A+ level. Getting 30k for the car leaves me with having to come up with more money to buy a lesser car. My guess is getting the fix completed is also going to have some detrimental impact.

It is a real shame as the CD is the best overall vehicle I have ever owned.
Like you, we've done some great trips in the CD, but sometimes months go by between long trips in our CD. After every trip, I marvel at how comfortable, fun and easy the CD made the trip. Truly the best long distance vehicle I've ever owned. It is beautifully made, still smells new on the inside and after almost 3 years looks new overall. While I still think a buyback is a low probability, I think when you consider the risk any fix may entail, it's the best outcome. I think we'd be made pretty whole, like an insurance settlement. No clue what the replacement would be, but would likely buy a less expensive SUV and blow the budget on a 991.2 with a manual transmission.
Old 08-12-2016 | 11:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
No one would think that it should. It's a 5000 lb SUV, not a sports car. But that doesn't mean it does t drive like a Porsche. I've owned a lot of SUV's. And I drove the Touareg and Q7 at the same time as the Cayenne. There is a marked difference between the cars. The Cayenne drives like a Porsche. Simple as that.
I agree. The Cayenne does it's best work on the highway. It puts you in a groove and your speed just keeps going higher and higher as the trip wears on. Anyone who sat through a high school physics class would not expect the Cayenne to handle like a 911. However, it's fun, engaging, entertaining, solid and reliable. Very Porsche like if you ask me.
Old 08-13-2016 | 11:00 PM
TxHoon
Advanced

Is there enough info out there to do a rough calculation on what we could get if we used the vw numbers?

I really like my cayenne and I REALLY like the mileage. I would really hate to lose mileage with whatever the fix could be.

When I bought mine, I came from an F150 platinum which was pretty nice for a truck (but nowhere near the Porsche quality).

If they end up killing the mileage, I would be going back to a truck. I traded size for mileage and if they take that then there is no reason to keep it.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue