Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:46 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If Mercedes and BMW, both platforms which share similar size engines, similar HP and similar torque, are able to meet the emission requirements, why do so many people make the assumption that our performance is going to be drastically worse when we're fixed to meet it as well? They all make roughly 240-250hp, 400-430lb-ft... and are 3 liter engines. I'd think that, especially with a turbo that can up the boost a touch, you can keep power levels pretty consistent if you have to add some restriction downstream. I don't notice any difference in power, driveability or mileage if the car is driven over short periods or long periods, but clearly the emission compliance is changed.

But let's say even if HP drops 10 and torque by 20, that's annoying on paper but I'd be hard pressed to notice it during most driving, seeing as you aren't at full throttle most of the time and your engine isn't making full power anyhow. Really the only impact would be when you give it the beans.

PJ, I would think that the fix would absolutely be tested and modeled to ensure it works. After this no lube f***ing that VW is in the midst of receiving, they ain't gonna screw around with something that might blow up shortly after deployment.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
On a different note, beyond VW appologists and such, the fact of the matter is it is VW that has to make it up to the OWNERS. Not vice versa. That ship of goodwill has alrady sailed. Extended warranty will not cut it. And that would be all you got if it was due to VW. Check other country in EU where Germany dictates/sets the rules on behalf of its car industry and see what they got. They are not happy.

I stand by what say, the damage that we have sustained is NO LESS than 2.0 tdi owners. We deserve what they got. Don't believe me, go to CarMax and check what your vehicle is worth.

You've got a lot of bitter vitriol there. You're not the only one who's pissed about this, so why are you acting as such? I don't recall too many people who are actually on VW's side here...
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You've got a lot of bitter vitriol there. You're not the only one who's pissed about this, so why are you acting as such? I don't recall too many people who are actually on VW's side here...
You bet I am pissed. I have always bought my cars from the dealer, brand new, keep them very well maintained (whole body X Pel on CD) and keep them as original and possible. Trade them when warranty is done as I don't have time to deal with issues. Due to no fault of my own my vehicle lost substantial value and marketability and it is going to go under some "fix". I didn't sign up for that.

Yet people accuse come up with all type of excuses. Here are some that are laughable:
Old 08-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

- This is not going to affect 3.0 vehicles. Only 2.0. I believe it because they said so..
Well this did not turn out to be the case isn't it? You have a similar "cheat" software" on your vehicle
- Well I am sure EVERY manufacturer has done something like this. We will soon find out....
So far no one else has been found to do anything similar. That wishful thinking did not work. I am sure most manufacturers....cough BMW, cough...have been scrutinized quite a bit, and there has not been any wrongdoing found
- Well it is all EPA, they put this insane limits that companies can not comply with...
Every other company has found a way to comply with this, and cheating was not a part of it
- It is just going to be a software fix...
If it was, it would have been done already. Their fix in Europe end up with 'more pollution" according to many owners over there
- It is not going to be a software fix...but it will not affect performance of milage....because the VW lawyer said so..
....hmmm, I see
- It did not affect the vehicle resale value of the vehicles
Every objective research argues against this
- Well it did not depreciate as much as Cayenne TT..
.. on a different note CTT did not depreciate as much as Bentley Arnage...and the water is wet..
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

And you claim there are no VW apologists in this thread. Wish that was true. Also wish Porsche remained an independent company and was not bought by VW. This cluster is not due to any wrongdoing on Porsche as well (I wish and hope). But VW.

But again in the end any outcome that does not address owner concerns is not fair. We should have a choice, a fix + compensation or buyback.

So far I haven't heard this being vocalized in this forum yet. people are worried that the VW plant in Chattanooga is going to close, or VW will retaliate and such, but few if any raises their voices to convey their opinion how this should be addressed.

Frankly at this stage VW factory in Chattanooga is not my priority

Last edited by Dr Cayenne; 08-26-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Check this out:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...er-diesel-fix/
Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks Dr. Cayenne. The transcript is plain and did not pick up the mood of the judge.

Worst come worst there is option C. I doubt VW wants to drag this through a trial in which a lot of its little secrets have to be disclosed
Old 08-26-2016, 11:36 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dr Cayenne, I'm with you 100% not sure why people keep coming with excuses..
cheaters period ..

I paid 84k for my CD, now I need to sit down relax and enjoy, wait for another year and see if they can fix the problem.. reason I'm mad is because like others are saying, depreciation, I don't think a lot of smart people are looking for Cayenne Diesel if they know about the VW issue..
Old 08-26-2016, 11:52 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

So far I haven't heard this being vocalized in this forum yet. people are worried that the VW plant in Chattanooga is going to close, or VW will retaliate and such, but few if any raises their voices to convey their opinion how this should be addressed.

Frankly at this stage VW factory in Chattanooga is not my priority
That was me, and it was a hypothetical response that VW would take due to every Tom, Dick and Harry jumping on the claims bandwagon. Sort of like a bus accident in NYC, where magically, 30 extra people were on the bus after the accident.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:10 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by booch

PJ, I would think that the fix would absolutely be tested and modeled to ensure it works. After this no lube f***ing that VW is in the midst of receiving, they ain't gonna screw around with something that might blow up shortly after deployment.
Booch- lots of different weather conditions, durability, driveability tests that can take years. Plus, our engines aren't new, are they testing the engines with brand new engines or ones with miles on them? Even with the best of intentions, who would be happy with their CDs undergoing a major modification at the dealership? As VW's attorney said, it is a complex fix. Not everything is going to go right.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
By VW's own admission, the fix is complex, and the attorney stated they hope it will not "adversely affect" performance. Which means that performance will be somewhat affected, and who determines what "adversely" means? That is my main concern.
Mine, too.

And I'm going to start benchmarking our vehicle's mpg both around town and on the highway.

I still think the 29 MPG on the Mulroney sticker is going to bite us in the ***.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You bet I am pissed. I have always bought my cars from the dealer, brand new, keep them very well maintained (whole body X Pel on CD) and keep them as original and possible. Trade them when warranty is done as I don't have time to deal with issues. Due to no fault of my own my vehicle lost substantial value and marketability and it is going to go under some "fix". I didn't sign up for that.

Yet people accuse come up with all type of excuses. Here are some that are laughable:
Totally missed my point.

I'm pissed too! I blame VW and don't look forward to the likelyhood that my wife could have to give up her favorite car of all time. But I'm not tilting at windmills like it me against the world. Yes, this sucks, and it's not our fault. Just chill out and wait...things are progressing. You're not the only one that has been harmed and wants to see VW get their due punishment.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:56 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solrac6262
Dr Cayenne, I'm with you 100% not sure why people keep coming with excuses..
cheaters period ..

I paid 84k for my CD, now I need to sit down relax and enjoy, wait for another year and see if they can fix the problem.. reason I'm mad is because like others are saying, depreciation, I don't think a lot of smart people are looking for Cayenne Diesel if they know about the VW issue..
Much saner approach.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Much saner approach.
There is nothing wrong with expressing your frustration about this whole process, and asking for a fair outcome

The reason this has been dragged so long is VW, they could have come up with a reasonable solution at the previous court date. They did not. They just want to drag this as much as they can.

Just read the article I posted. Everybody is frustrated with them even at the court. People realize their intentions. And I repeat: We would have nothing more than extended warranty if it was up to VW.

I retract my comment, some here might not be frustrated.

The group posting here are their most loyal customers, my first car at age 18 was a Golf GTI. Many people here including myself have more than one Porsche in their garage as of now and have been customers for a long time.

This should't be the way how we are treated.

I think people got my point. With some people I will continue to have differences of opinion I guess, but I digress.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There is nothing wrong with expressing your frustration about this whole process, and asking for a fair outcome

The reason this has been dragged so long is VW, they could have come up with a reasonable solution at the previous court date. They did not. They just want to drag this as much as they can.

Just read the article I posted. Everybody is frustrated with them even at the court. People realize their intentions. And I repeat: We would have nothing more than extended warranty if it was up to VW.

I retract my comment, some here might not be frustrated.

The group posting here are their most loyal customers, my first car at age 18 was a Golf GTI. Many people here including myself have more than one Porsche in their garage as of now and have been customers for a long time.

This should't be the way how we are treated.

I think people got my point. With some people I will continue to have differences of opinion I guess, but I digress.
Read that TTAC article and don't need to read their hyperbole. I read the full transcript, I read what the judge said. Hell, I even posted it above.

No, it's not how we should be treated and we all have the right to be angry.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue