Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'm sure carbon build up and EGR usage play a role. My experience is last summer I had excessive delay in engine response, over the winter it was fine again, now that it's summer the delay is back again. The only work performed over this time frame was routine oil changes. No carbon cleaning, no component replacement. That tells me it mostly has something to do with the way the software runs the drive line in warmer temps. If it were just carbon build up it likely would not resolve itself completely with just a drop in the mercury.

I think what makes this so hard to nail down is that we as a community are probably experiencing an array of issues that present a similar symptom. Some of us probably are suffering from carbon buildup or a plugged DPF while others are having transmission/TC issues, some are feeling the software revisions, etc...
In my case, there is no weather dependency with the lag. Post-EGR cleaning it drove well in hot and cold temps. I'm in southern New England so cold winters, summer can be hot and humid.
The transmission laziness (some call it lag) has been present since the fix, but i find that very easy to adapt to with how I drive. After a while, I don't notice it anymore.

FWIW I am still getting 28mpg most tanks, so even with the fix and 151k miles, the CD still performs very well. Real world economy impact from the fix has been maybe 1-1.5 mpg at most for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I had an interesting episode this AM. The exit gate out of my neighborhood was not working, this is not terribly uncommon during summer storm season. I think it's the lightning that wigs out the gate memory anyway...

I get out to cycle the power to the gate, leave the vehicle running in park with the parking brake engaged. Gate power cycled, hop back in, drop it in drive, barely hit the gas and forget that I engaged the parking brake. It warns me the parking brake is on so, off throttle, foot on the brake, everything is settled sitting at idle, disengage the parking brake, back on the throttle and experienced the worst lag I'eve ever felt in the car. I'm trying to make it through the gate before it closes so, feeding in throttle, feeding in more throttle, hit full throttle for at least 2 seconds (not into the kickdown), still sitting at idle, finally it starts rolling but, just barely. I managed to creep through the gate at about 3-5MPH and had to go about 3-4 car lengths before it finally started to accelerate in a normal fashion. It wasn't hot at 5:30AM, it was only around 70°.

I'm not sure what to make of that but, I wanted to at least get it documented before I forget.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I had an interesting episode this AM. The exit gate out of my neighborhood was not working, this is not terribly uncommon during summer storm season. I think it's the lightning that wigs out the gate memory anyway...

I get out to cycle the power to the gate, leave the vehicle running in park with the parking brake engaged. Gate power cycled, hop back in, drop it in drive, barely hit the gas and forget that I engaged the parking brake. It warns me the parking brake is on so, off throttle, foot on the brake, everything is settled sitting at idle, disengage the parking brake, back on the throttle and experienced the worst lag I'eve ever felt in the car. I'm trying to make it through the gate before it closes so, feeding in throttle, feeding in more throttle, hit full throttle for at least 2 seconds (not into the kickdown), still sitting at idle, finally it starts rolling but, just barely. I managed to creep through the gate at about 3-5MPH and had to go about 3-4 car lengths before it finally started to accelerate in a normal fashion. It wasn't hot at 5:30AM, it was only around 70°.

I'm not sure what to make of that but, I wanted to at least get it documented before I forget.
I have had this (pre-fix) rarely. An ignition on/off/on cycle always fixed it. I never got a code from it, though.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:10 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve had this if I try a “brake torque”. If you get on both the gas and brake hard at the same time the computer basically goes into a limp mode for a few seconds. The parking brake must be the same. This car is sometimes too smart for its own good.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaddiction
I have had this (pre-fix) rarely. An ignition on/off/on cycle always fixed it. I never got a code from it, though.
No code either and once I let off the gas it operated normally for the rest of the drive to work.

Originally Posted by lightemup67
I’ve had this if I try a “brake torque”. If you get on both the gas and brake hard at the same time the computer basically goes into a limp mode for a few seconds. The parking brake must be the same. This car is sometimes too smart for its own good.
I'm about 75% sure mine will allow you to drive through the parking brake, meaning it will auto disengage if you apply enough throttle. It takes more throttle than I feel good about though so, I always just let off and disengage it. I know Porsche has done different things with the parking brake over the years, I think from '15 on they allow it to function similarly to the BMW auto parking brake where once you come to a complete stop it will hold the vehicle until you hit the gas. This BMW system is the source of my bad habit of occasionally unintentionally trying to drive through the parking brake.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

It should have disengaged on its own if your door was closed and seatbelt on.

Automatic electric parking brake release on detection of driver’s intention to drive off
If the engine is running, the driver’s door is closed and the driver’s seat belt is fastened, it is still possible to drive off normally even though the parking brake is on.

The electric parking brake detects the driver’s intention to drive off and releases automatically.

The indicator light on button and the brake warning light in the instrument panel go out.

If the driver’s door is not closed or the driver’s seat belt is not fastened, the electric parking brake will not be released automatically when the driver attempts to drive off.

The message “Release electric parking brake” appears on the multi-function display in the instrument panel. The indicator light on button and the brake warning light in the instrument panel start to flash.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 PM
borntobewild
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am long time rennlist follower but posting for the very first time , I apologize if there are any mistakes .

I have a 2016 Cayenne Diesel bought brand new on 12/28/2017 with 145 miles and 6 yrs Unlimited mileage warranty . The car had been trouble free till 03/2019 and since then its a different story . In the beginning of 04/2019 Yellow engine light came on .

1) Yellow Engine Light comes on while driving out of blue. After calling Porsche roadside assistance car gets towed to the nearest dealer 230 miles away from my house . They found faulty residual soot
sensor and reset the sensor. Car was out of service from 04/01/2019 to 04/08/2019
Mileage In 13531 / Out 13537

2) Yellow Engine Light comes back now with burning smell in the cabin while driving. This time when I call Porsche roadside assistance I am given a run around for the tow vehicle and I lodge a complaint with Porsche customer care expressing dissatisfaction, they apologized and vehicle again gets towed on 4/19/2019 to the dealer . They replace the soot sensor and then after completion of repairs while test driving the car they find Amplifier does not operate and there is no audio sound in the car , now they replace the Amplifier . Amplifier was working fine when the car was towed so this was a new issue. Date Porsche roadside assistance called 4/19/2019, date car released 4/30/2019.
Mileage In 13892 / Out 13925

3) Yellow Engine Light comes back on 6/15/2019 while driving car gets towed again for the third time , this time its a Faulty Catalyst . They replaced the faulty catalyst and all related gaskets and nuts . Down time 06/17/2019 to 07/10/2019
Mileage: In 14392 / Out 14671 ( I told them to test drive at least 200 miles so the fault does not return ) .

4) The car was returned dirty inside out , the dashboard clock seconds hand was broken and now there are hard vibrations ( I tried to upload a video of the vibrations ) while idling that my hands feel numb . The vibrations are pronounced on the steering wheel , driver side door panel and center console . I dropped my car on 07/10/2019 . The dealership now says its normal for diesel even though I did not have this before .

I have made a written complaint to Porsche Corporate a month ago and I am being transferred from one person to another saying case being escalated . The dealer has not been very helpful . Since I live 230 miles from the dealership I don't get a Loaner . Porsche Corporate said they might look into reimbursement of a rental but no concrete answer . The last visit to dealer was the worst I ever had with any dealership ( I moved to a new state had good experiences in NY and Ohio ) , since I dropped the car off and the dealership knew I was coming he did offer a Loaner but with a lengthy terms and conditions like I had to return the loaner immediately after the car is done , I told him that I live 230 miles away and might days a few days but no . I even asked if some one can drive my car back and pick up the loaner and he said we do in rare circumstances but we don't have enough staff next week so no . I ended up renting a car from Enterprise and coming back . This was sad as I had my 80 yrs old parents with me and I could not leave them at home as they have multiple medical issues and need constant care . They just did not care .

Sorry for the long post but would appreciate if you guys can make any suggestions on what to do ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Car Vibrations.zip (784.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Born, welcome to the forum. From your description, yours must be a “fixed” CD. Your issues with soot would be consistent with what other owners of fixed CDs have experienced, except for the no sound situation. Mine is a 2014 CD and I have had sound and PCM issues from the beginning. Garbled sound, no sound, no video, PCM recycles while driving, etc. Word of caution, if you get the no sound condition and you are spinning the volume **** with no effect, be sure to spin it the other way before you turn your CD off or you will be blasted with deafening sound when you start it the next time. Mine always happened without any codes being thrown but I took lots of video. PCNA even went so far as to tell me if no codes, then everything is normal.

They did replace the PCM and amplifier after much agitation but the conditions persisted. I fnally lost it after receiving a PCNA marketing piece addressed to me as a valued customer wondering why I haven’t been in for service in awhile. I wrote a rather scathing letter to the PCNA CEO and other executives explaining how I wasn’t exactly feeling valued these days. To my surprise, VP of customer experience, Simon Kuhnimhof actually read it and responded. He tasked a support person to follow up with me to at least have the PCM replaced again (I don’t think it is the problem but it’s progress). It took about six months and the support person was not very attentive. Overall I am very dissapointed in my treatment.

I have no intention of having my CD fixed at this point based mostly on discussions here. For longer term readers, I’m the guy that put together the CD fix experience survey about a year ago. A couple questions Born..... Has your cruise control ever just stopped working while you are driving? Then works again next time you start up? Has your headlight switch, which is normally in the straight up “auto” setting, unexpectedly appear in a different position? Does your PCM ever recycle (like it does when you start up) while you are driving?

Thanks for posting. If you continue to get no results, document everything and consider calling the CAP arbitration attorneys. It’s a free program and is explained in your owners’ manual.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Born, I have the vibrations also, they randomly started one day and haven't gone away. One dealer gave me the "its normal" BS. I have have a few P dealers in the Chicagoland area so its going to a different shop Saturday for a second opinion.

After reading your post though, I got motivated to start doing some carbon cleaning on my own, as some members have said it helped after their EGR went. Extremely frustrating that dealers these days won't do anything until the computer throws a code. I took apart the throttle bodies yesterday, and wow were they dirty. I'd say 1/4" of soot built up in some areas (see picture below). The second throttle body was the worst, as I believe this one is after the engine gas re-circulation? I only went to the second throttle body, and did not take off the intake and get to the EGR valve, as that next step is more involved and will take me more than just a lazy sunday afternoon.

Unfortunately, it did not cure my idle vibrations, but the throttle response/ pickup was noticeable. I suggest anyone with big throttle lag take a few hours to do this. It can't hurt and you'll be shocked how much soot is built up. One can of throttle body cleaner, some brushes, and a **** load of rags.

I'll check back in after the car goes back to the dealer for the second opinion.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Light, is yours an emissions fixed CD? Mostly city or road miles? Mine is not fixed, has 83k miles, and the engine is as strong now as when new. Mostly all road trip miles though.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Yup, 60,000 miles, emission fixed earlier this year. Mix of city and highway miles.

Throttle bodies are right up front, takes about 30 min to get them apart, would be interested to see if yours are clean given your "unfixed" status.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:31 PM
borntobewild
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea
Born, welcome to the forum. From your description, yours must be a “fixed” CD. Your issues with soot would be consistent with what other owners of fixed CDs have experienced, except for the no sound situation. Mine is a 2014 CD and I have had sound and PCM issues from the beginning. Garbled sound, no sound, no video, PCM recycles while driving, etc. Word of caution, if you get the no sound condition and you are spinning the volume **** with no effect, be sure to spin it the other way before you turn your CD off or you will be blasted with deafening sound when you start it the next time. Mine always happened without any codes being thrown but I took lots of video. PCNA even went so far as to tell me if no codes, then everything is normal.

They did replace the PCM and amplifier after much agitation but the conditions persisted. I fnally lost it after receiving a PCNA marketing piece addressed to me as a valued customer wondering why I haven’t been in for service in awhile. I wrote a rather scathing letter to the PCNA CEO and other executives explaining how I wasn’t exactly feeling valued these days. To my surprise, VP of customer experience, Simon Kuhnimhof actually read it and responded. He tasked a support person to follow up with me to at least have the PCM replaced again (I don’t think it is the problem but it’s progress). It took about six months and the support person was not very attentive. Overall I am very dissapointed in my treatment.

I have no intention of having my CD fixed at this point based mostly on discussions here. For longer term readers, I’m the guy that put together the CD fix experience survey about a year ago. A couple questions Born..... Has your cruise control ever just stopped working while you are driving? Then works again next time you start up? Has your headlight switch, which is normally in the straight up “auto” setting, unexpectedly appear in a different position? Does your PCM ever recycle (like it does when you start up) while you are driving?

Thanks for posting. If you continue to get no results, document everything and consider calling the CAP arbitration attorneys. It’s a free program and is explained in your owners’ manual.
Thank you for the reply Mtea and Lightemup67 .

My car was fixed before I bought the car . It was one of the unsold 2016 diesels and was sold new in Dec 2017 after the fix .
Yes my cruise control stopped working while driving and then on start up next time works . Also headlight switch gets off from auto position ( happened twice ) but did not think anything of it .
More concerning are the vibrations which are new after replacing the soot sensor , catalyst and car was in the shop for > 30 days . The vibrations are so bad that my arms feel numb . ( Dealer says its normal even though it was not present before this engine light issue ) . Thank You .
Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

The vibration is my biggest issue as well. It seems to start out of the blue for most people. There HAS to be a way to fix it but the dealers make it extremely difficult on us by just saying "its a diesel" or "you got paid out for things like this". Unreal.

I hope I'll be able to convince a technician to actually spend some time diagnosing the problem instead of just plugging in the scanner and telling me its fine. The more info people can share on here, the better.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Born, I have the vibrations also, they randomly started one day and haven't gone away. One dealer gave me the "its normal" BS. I have have a few P dealers in the Chicagoland area so its going to a different shop Saturday for a second opinion.

After reading your post though, I got motivated to start doing some carbon cleaning on my own, as some members have said it helped after their EGR went. Extremely frustrating that dealers these days won't do anything until the computer throws a code. I took apart the throttle bodies yesterday, and wow were they dirty. I'd say 1/4" of soot built up in some areas (see picture below). The second throttle body was the worst, as I believe this one is after the engine gas re-circulation? I only went to the second throttle body, and did not take off the intake and get to the EGR valve, as that next step is more involved and will take me more than just a lazy sunday afternoon.

Unfortunately, it did not cure my idle vibrations, but the throttle response/ pickup was noticeable. I suggest anyone with big throttle lag take a few hours to do this. It can't hurt and you'll be shocked how much soot is built up. One can of throttle body cleaner, some brushes, and a **** load of rags.

I'll check back in after the car goes back to the dealer for the second opinion.

Do you have any more pictures of your removal/cleaning process?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Yeah, I can do a write-up. Pretty easy, but I did take pictures along the way so I'll put something together for you.
The following users liked this post:
skiahh (07-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue