Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 PM
6Cents
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Yeah, I can do a write-up. Pretty easy, but I did take pictures along the way so I'll put something together for you.
I would love to see it too. I also have a 2016 CD, purchased 1.5 years ago new (20k miles now). I have not have any of the other problems mentioned but I have noticed that my throttle response from a stand still has a lot of lag which seems to have started a couple of months ago. It takes a lot of throttle to make the car go and once it does, it is a lurch and full speed ahead. I also have the same lag mentioned here when trying to accelerate while rolling. It is all pretty frustrating.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 PM
borntobewild
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 6Cents
I would love to see it too. I also have a 2016 CD, purchased 1.5 years ago new (20k miles now). I have not have any of the other problems mentioned but I have noticed that my throttle response from a stand still has a lot of lag which seems to have started a couple of months ago. It takes a lot of throttle to make the car go and once it does, it is a lurch and full speed ahead. I also have the same lag mentioned here when trying to accelerate while rolling. It is all pretty frustrating.
My problems started with the lag exactly as you mentioned and then it threw engine light had spot sensor replaced still had a bad lag then threw light again , when the catalyst was replaced recently there is no lag now but now there are vibrations.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM
djwpe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that my ‘14 fixed CD is less bad this summer than last on throttle response. Two possible causes;
  • I’ve learned to drive differently. I feed in a LOT of pedal, then back out before the lurch (feather the pedal), and kind of “meet” the speed rather than feeding more and more pedal until it kicks in. It’s counterintuitive, but it seems to work.
  • At the end of last summer, after I bitterly complained to my service writer and mentioned the EGR, they were able to get approval to replace my throttle bodies due to massive soot buildup. They couldn’t get approval to do the EGR (policy is that it needs a code), but they went to bat for me on the throttle bodies and it seems to have made a difference.
I can can tell you that last summer I was ready to trade the car. Now I’m ok keeping it for another couple of years.

Don Winston
Old 07-15-2019, 05:45 PM
6Cents
AutoX

I too have learned to drive it differently and have adapted as much as I can. That said, all of this seems like we should not be having these discussions. My wife has a 2014 Mercedes diesel and the power delivery is immediate. It is not as quick as the Cayenne but throttle response is smooth. There is no doubt in my mind that there are problems with the fixed CDs that should be admitted to and addressed. I have watched this thread and I know that a lot of us have taken various steps but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have called the attorneys for the class action and they seemed surprised by my comments. I complain to my dealer each oil change and make sure they note my complaint. I don't really know where to go from here other than to try to enjoy the car the best I can knowing I still have roughly 5 years of warranty.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

The vibration is my biggest issue as well. It seems to start out of the blue for most people. There HAS to be a way to fix it but the dealers make it extremely difficult on us by just saying "its a diesel" or "you got paid out for things like this". Unreal.

I hope I'll be able to convince a technician to actually spend some time diagnosing the problem instead of just plugging in the scanner and telling me its fine. The more info people can share on here, the better.
Dumbest thing I did was to fix our Diesel and collect the last part of the payment. I wanted to keep it for a long time. The vibration was horrible post fix and my wife hated the way it felt, as she does a lot of city miles, the vibration was prominent during her commute. Our engine also became much noisier and developed a rattle on acceleration. After complaining to anyone at Porsche I could get a hold of, dealing with my dealer's Sales Manager, I traded out of it and into a Macan. We had a few strange things happen that the dealer couldn't diagnose and were facing some big maintenance bills. After almost six years, the joy was gone and it was time to let it go. Good luck with getting it your vibration fixed. We were told it was normal. Porsche is lucky we love the brand, it took a lot for me to consider the Macan after the Cayenne fix. I only justified the whole thing by adding the settlement amount to my trade price Turned out we received 55% of MSRP after 6 years, that I could live with.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I’ve had this if I try a “brake torque”. If you get on both the gas and brake hard at the same time the computer basically goes into a limp mode for a few seconds. The parking brake must be the same. This car is sometimes too smart for its own good.
Yes, same here. Was messing around with an accelerometer and tried to spool it up and when I got off the brake it went nowhere.

Safety feature of DBW systems. Think Camry stuck floor mat story.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Emission Issues.

Haven't commented on this subject for awhile, but as I've been reading people's stories I'd just like to say Mann Provent 200 Catch Can. I've got one for my 14 CD and it's the best on the market to prevent future Carbon buildup in our vehicles induction systems. I live up in B.C Canada and had my CD fixed by my amazing Porsche dealer, they went above the call of duty to get our Cayenne Diesel running almost normal as before the emissions fix. They were given permission by Porsche Canada to completely clean out or replace the induction and egr valve. The only issue left is the transmission which I'm adjusting to, that's another story I can explain to anyone interested in. Good luck everyone.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Rupert16,
Can you post some photos of your catch can installation on your CD?

Rob
Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Rob,
I will do, but have family from NZ visiting for the summer once I'm clear of that I'll get them up.
In the mean time you could go onto a few Aussie forums and you'll find info on installation of the ProVent 200, in particular the Volkswagen diesel 3.0 Amrok pickup that we don't get here.
This setup will be similar to our Cayennes, except for maybe the position of the Filter it's self.
��
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Born, I have the vibrations also, they randomly started one day and haven't gone away. One dealer gave me the "its normal" BS. I have have a few P dealers in the Chicagoland area so its going to a different shop Saturday for a second opinion.

After reading your post though, I got motivated to start doing some carbon cleaning on my own, as some members have said it helped after their EGR went. Extremely frustrating that dealers these days won't do anything until the computer throws a code. I took apart the throttle bodies yesterday, and wow were they dirty. I'd say 1/4" of soot built up in some areas (see picture below). The second throttle body was the worst, as I believe this one is after the engine gas re-circulation? I only went to the second throttle body, and did not take off the intake and get to the EGR valve, as that next step is more involved and will take me more than just a lazy sunday afternoon.

Unfortunately, it did not cure my idle vibrations, but the throttle response/ pickup was noticeable. I suggest anyone with big throttle lag take a few hours to do this. It can't hurt and you'll be shocked how much soot is built up. One can of throttle body cleaner, some brushes, and a **** load of rags.

I'll check back in after the car goes back to the dealer for the second opinion.

That's pretty slimy looking. You got that out of a swipe of the inside of the TB?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:35 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's probably mixed with a few good sprays of throttle body cleaner. The soot was fairly dry, but built up THICK. I've torn down quite a few motors and restored some antiques, and this surprised me. This is my first diesel though.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Dumbest thing I did was to fix our Diesel and collect the last part of the payment. I wanted to keep it for a long time. The vibration was horrible post fix and my wife hated the way it felt, as she does a lot of city miles, the vibration was prominent during her commute. Our engine also became much noisier and developed a rattle on acceleration. After complaining to anyone at Porsche I could get a hold of, dealing with my dealer's Sales Manager, I traded out of it and into a Macan. We had a few strange things happen that the dealer couldn't diagnose and were facing some big maintenance bills. After almost six years, the joy was gone and it was time to let it go. Good luck with getting it your vibration fixed. We were told it was normal. Porsche is lucky we love the brand, it took a lot for me to consider the Macan after the Cayenne fix. I only justified the whole thing by adding the settlement amount to my trade price Turned out we received 55% of MSRP after 6 years, that I could live with.
Thank you for posting. I've been wondering what happened to you. I can't blame you for dumping your CD under the circumstances.

I now have 140K miles on my unfixed '14 CD. It still runs great. There is no chance I will be getting it "fixed" as long as I continue to plan on owning and using it.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Thank you for posting. I've been wondering what happened to you. I can't blame you for dumping your CD under the circumstances.

I now have 140K miles on my unfixed '14 CD. It still runs great. There is no chance I will be getting it "fixed" as long as I continue to plan on owning and using it.
Very happy with the new Macan SE and my 911. The Macan is very fun to drive, but it is a smaller vehicle, so not a direct replacement for the Cayenne.

Not sure how older engines with varying degrees of wear will run consistently with the new software and hardware. I think that explains the varied results of the fix. Some run fine, some don't. Good luck with your CD, but review how long they will pay you for the fix. Keep you options open in case you decide to move on.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Very happy with the new Macan SE and my 911. The Macan is very fun to drive, but it is a smaller vehicle, so not a direct replacement for the Cayenne.

Not sure how older engines with varying degrees of wear will run consistently with the new software and hardware. I think that explains the varied results of the fix. Some run fine, some don't. Good luck with your CD, but review how long they will pay you for the fix. Keep you options open in case you decide to move on.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not really taking the financial incentives into account in my decision to keep my CD or not. With the high amount of driving I do, much of which is pulling a trailer, I really appreciate the CD's excellent mileage and huge driving range. I'm not planning to get rid of the CD until I reach a point where I am faced with some costly repairs to keep it running.

I love the Macan in all of its variations. With a Macan and a 911 in your garage you're very nicely covered! Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Took my intake apart today. Not as bad as some of the pictures you guys are posting, but still a good 1/4" of buildup, and more in some spots. Cleaned it, so we'll see what happens now.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue