Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RomSL
2014 and 2015+ CDs are affected differently by the fix. TCU tune does change a lot in 2015+, especially that most annoying surging issue.
Entirely possible.

My 2014 felt identical (once fully warmed up) post-fix. My 2015 has the throttle dead spot.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Entirely possible.

My 2014 felt identical (once fully warmed up) post-fix. My 2015 has the throttle dead spot.
Pretty much same here. '14 is not quite as quick as pre-fix, but pretty much what was described/expected. The '15, however....
Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Pretty much same here. '14 is not quite as quick as pre-fix, but pretty much what was described/expected. The '15, however....

Please unpack that for me, a 2015 owner. However what?

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ Skip,

Did you not collect the first $5K of the settlement or did the first owner?

@chsu74 I never got the first $5k. I filed for the fix after the fix was approved. They said after the fix was approved, no partial payments. So I am at risk for the full $10k.

I think the tone of Porsche relative to the fix is very high handed. We signed our rights away when we registered for the fix, and the best time to riot is before we have surrendered our weapons, not after. It pissed me off when they denied the $5k.

Part of me says take the money and trade for a Macan Turbo.
Part of me says F/U. Don't fix it and drive on hassle free.

I have pissed away $10k on less worthy projects than keeping my CD the way I like it. Part of my resistance is that my dealer, Gossett in Memphis, is great but 150 miles away. The multiple trips to the dealer are multiple days for me. Multiple days at the dealership will amortize my $10,000 in a hurry. Who needs the hassle?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:21 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Part of me says take the money and trade for a Macan Turbo.
Part of me says F/U. Don't fix it and drive on hassle free.

I have pissed away $10k on less worthy projects than keeping my CD the way I like it. Part of my resistance is that my dealer, Gossett in Memphis, is great but 150 miles away. The multiple trips to the dealer are multiple days for me. Multiple days at the dealership will amortize my $10,000 in a hurry. Who needs the hassle?
I think you are right. Unfixed CD is more reliable than a fixed CD probably. If your state do not require emissions then enjoy the car as is.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

We had one issue with our fixed CD, dealer replaced the EGT's and the cat's. As far as I can tell, the truck drives fine. I always put it in sport mode before and I still do now. My wife DD's it and she has no complaints.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:46 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Please unpack that for me, a 2015 owner. However what?
Have both a '14 and a '15. The '14 did OK with the fix. As expected and as they said.

The '15, however, has the dead throttle on roll-on acceleration. Slow for a red light that changes green before you stop, for example, and hit the accelerator and start counting. Or if you've slowed and need to make a quick lane change to pass; you better have hit the accelerator well before you need to move. Apex a corner? Nah... the technique for this is brake into the corner, then immediately hit the gas so you'll have power at the apex. If you wait until the apex, you'll get your power (and grip) well after you exit the corner. And of course in all cases, once the power catches up, it hits hard - surges.

And it lugs. It always drops to the highest gear it can, so at 35, I'll be in 6th gear at 1050 RPMs with the whole vehicle buzzing because of the lugging. Or 40 at 1100 in 7th. Anytime it can get that RPM to 1100, it will and you can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and floor. I think the lugging is why they had to extend the warranty... it's going to kill this engine, eventually! And the surge/transmission slamming together with the engine or whatever the hell is happening.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Have both a '14 and a '15. The '14 did OK with the fix. As expected and as they said.

The '15, however, has the dead throttle on roll-on acceleration. Slow for a red light that changes green before you stop, for example, and hit the accelerator and start counting. Or if you've slowed and need to make a quick lane change to pass; you better have hit the accelerator well before you need to move. Apex a corner? Nah... the technique for this is brake into the corner, then immediately hit the gas so you'll have power at the apex. If you wait until the apex, you'll get your power (and grip) well after you exit the corner. And of course in all cases, once the power catches up, it hits hard - surges.

And it lugs. It always drops to the highest gear it can, so at 35, I'll be in 6th gear at 1050 RPMs with the whole vehicle buzzing because of the lugging. Or 40 at 1100 in 7th. Anytime it can get that RPM to 1100, it will and you can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and floor. I think the lugging is why they had to extend the warranty... it's going to kill this engine, eventually! And the surge/transmission slamming together with the engine or whatever the hell is happening.
They all seem to take differently to the fix. Porsche doesn't care about any of the symptoms after they pay you, ask me how I know.
For those still contemplating the fix, wait as long as you can, then roll the dice.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Has anybody taken a Malone tune after the fix on a 15+? You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly. As the warm weather fills in more and more.... this is really getting annoying. It seems like it's essentially "torque converter lockup + sub-1800 rpm". If I can get the boost and fueling back at low RPM....
Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I do have to add in here, that our unfixed 2015 has always had throttle lag with roll on acceleration. I complained on here about it when we first got it, but I can't find the thread. Our 13 didn't do it at all. In lieu of speedbumps, we have several unneccesary stop signs in the neighborhood and the car never shifts down to 1st when stopping, only 2nd, and sometimes 3rd.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 AM
NM912E
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a few thoughts and questions on the lag/safety problem we all have since the fix. I am making an assumption that the main problem is in the transmission not finding the right gear, right?

1. First of all I have to confess I know nearly nothing about ECU tuning on cars but from what I do understand the folks with diesel trucks can tune the engine and transmission at will from a module in the truck and they have almost an unlimited amount of tuning options. Is that not possible for us? If they can find someone to write programs for those vehicles not to mention our turbo cars , the rice rocket cars and anything else that has a ECU why not approach someone to help us out en-masse ?

2. Also would it be possible to source a ECU for the engine and I assume for the tranny from somewhere in world where our Washington bureaucratic overlords don't have a say and install it on our cars?

3. Since some of the 13's have timed out and hit the mileage limit is anyone out here looking at modifications for horsepower that would overcome the issues we have.

Rick
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by NM912E
I have a few thoughts and questions on the lag/safety problem we all have since the fix. I am making an assumption that the main problem is in the transmission not finding the right gear, right?
I'll preface with this is just my personal thought process as to what may be going on and is no way a statement of fact...
I'm not sure that we can say that is the main issue. It seems like it's part of the issue but, likely not all of it. Most of what people are describing is zero response to rolling into the throttle after braking/coasting to a near stop or from a stop. We feed in more and more throttle until the electronics finally wake up and respond resulting in way more throttle and downshifting than intended.

The mechanism that actually causes this unknown and will likely stay unknown unless we start logging data to see which parameters seem to drive the condidtion. It possibly could be hunting for a gear and the trans ECU is in some state that does not allow the engine ECU to respond as it should but, given that it seems to be temperature related it seems more likely that it's the engine ECU not responding properly. It could be something like IAT or EGT climbing to a point that the ECU goes into a partial limp mode but, I would think this would store some type of code even if it is a shadow code that doesn't throw a CEL which I have not seen. Or it could be crappy emissions driven tuning that has a large hole in the map in some specific range that makes response abysmal until it pops put of that load range. I'm sure there are a lot of other possibilities as well.

1. First of all I have to confess I know nearly nothing about ECU tuning on cars but from what I do understand the folks with diesel trucks can tune the engine and transmission at will from a module in the truck and they have almost an unlimited amount of tuning options. Is that not possible for us? If they can find someone to write programs for those vehicles not to mention our turbo cars , the rice rocket cars and anything else that has a ECU why not approach someone to help us out en-masse ?

2. Also would it be possible to source a ECU for the engine and I assume for the tranny from somewhere in world where our Washington bureaucratic overlords don't have a say and install it on our cars?

3. Since some of the 13's have timed out and hit the mileage limit is anyone out here looking at modifications for horsepower that would overcome the issues we have.

Rick
1. Their market is much bigger than ours so, they attract more support. I tried to get Openflash to support the CD but, there was no backing from the community on it. They need to know there is a market for it to work on it. I've worked with them on my Evo and 335i and they are the real deal.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ne-diesel.html
2. You will run into complications with that. ECUs are locked to vehicle VIN and they talk to one another throughout the vehicle. Tuning would be a more straightforward option and obviously the capabilities are there since Malone can manage it.
3. It seems likely the Malone tune (or any others that become available) would address the drivability issues and give a decent bump in power too.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 AM
NM912E
Rennlist Member

Thanks Hotrod for sharing your thoughts, I'm going to reach out to OpenFlash and see how many customers it would take to make it a viable investment for them. It may be way more than it would be possible to generate from Rennlists Cayenne Diesel community but there has to be a number that can be quantified to make a product profitable and I'm curious as to what that number is.

There are 3 Cayenne diesels in our family so there's a start !
Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Rick
Manufacturers deliberately try to lock the modules to prevent them from being opened (programmatically) and edited/altered. In fact CARB and EPA come down hard on manufacturers to ensure those modules are at least somewhat tamper-resistant. Anything that can mess with emissions is a no-no to edit without those edits having CARB/EPA approval. It's literally a legal thing punishable by large fines and jail time.

Here's a recent case that was just settled against SCT - $6.25M fine. https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...defeat-devices

Often times, just stating "for off highway use only" isn't enough.

Sourcing a non-US module is certainly *possible* - tho I can tell you that, on our vehicles, at least MOST of the modules are "married" to one another. Simply pulling a ECU out of one vehicle and installing it in another isn't that simple - the boxes may not recognize each other and as such won't "talk" without first being "married" via PIWIS (which is the official Porsche service tool).

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'll preface with this is just my personal thought process as to what may be going on and is no way a statement of fact...
I'm not sure that we can say that is the main issue. It seems like it's part of the issue but, likely not all of it. Most of what people are describing is zero response to rolling into the throttle after braking/coasting to a near stop or from a stop. We feed in more and more throttle until the electronics finally wake up and respond resulting in way more throttle and downshifting than intended.

The mechanism that actually causes this unknown and will likely stay unknown unless we start logging data to see which parameters seem to drive the condidtion. It possibly could be hunting for a gear and the trans ECU is in some state that does not allow the engine ECU to respond as it should but, given that it seems to be temperature related it seems more likely that it's the engine ECU not responding properly. It could be something like IAT or EGT climbing to a point that the ECU goes into a partial limp mode but, I would think this would store some type of code even if it is a shadow code that doesn't throw a CEL which I have not seen. Or it could be crappy emissions driven tuning that has a large hole in the map in some specific range that makes response abysmal until it pops put of that load range. I'm sure there are a lot of other possibilities as well.

1. Their market is much bigger than ours so, they attract more support. I tried to get Openflash to support the CD but, there was no backing from the community on it. They need to know there is a market for it to work on it. I've worked with them on my Evo and 335i and they are the real deal.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ne-diesel.html
2. You will run into complications with that. ECUs are locked to vehicle VIN and they talk to one another throughout the vehicle. Tuning would be a more straightforward option and obviously the capabilities are there since Malone can manage it.
3. It seems likely the Malone tune (or any others that become available) would address the drivability issues and give a decent bump in power too.
It's a tune issue. Likely the 3.0TDI was polluting the most at low RPM. To get performance you generally can dump in a ton of fuel, advance the timing... and that in turn generates exhaust... which helps spool up the turbo and give you boost. Then you add MORE fuel, etc... and it's a cycle to get things ramped up.

Probably what's going on with this "new, fixed" tune is a sort of chicken/egg scenario. They can only do so much fueling (and fueling timing advance) before they start to pollute beyond EPA limits, so that limits how much help the turbo gets to spool. Once the boost comes up, you can add fuel... and get performance.

Thanks Hotrod for sharing your thoughts, I'm going to reach out to OpenFlash and see how many customers it would take to make it a viable investment for them. It may be way more than it would be possible to generate from Rennlists Cayenne Diesel community but there has to be a number that can be quantified to make a product profitable and I'm curious as to what that number is.

There are 3 Cayenne diesels in our family so there's a start !
Honestly probably not enough market for it. Of those with a 3.0TDI SUV.... how many really want to hotrod them? In the VAG gas community, there's a bit more (2.0T tunes all over the place) but given most of the 3.0TDI's are "luxury" vehicles (vs. sporty fun toys) I doubt there's really enough.

Still... it can't hurt.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

My 15 is a bit pokey on the throttle but always was. The fix to the transmission was dramatic and unlike your car. Mine does not lug the engine anymore, just the opposite. You are describing pre-fix transmission behavior where the transmission would lug the engine all the time. It is like they only flashed your ECU and not the TCU. I get one buck during warm up and then it behaves itself. Post fix I've had the DPF and EGR replaced after power loss & CEL.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM
NM912E
Rennlist Member

Great explanations Hacked 987 on why we will ultimately be unable to improve the lag, you would think that a government agency would have tested the end product and concluded that the risk to owners lives out weighed the small risk to the environment.

I don't know about the rest of the community of owners but there are times that I have been caught off guard when I needed to not occupy a space before another vehicle is about to occupy it causing a near miss. We plan for plenty of lead time now knowing about the lag but there are times when circumstances don't allow for that.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue