Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019 | 05:59 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by skiahh
Anyone know anything about this suit and whether if affects CDs?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ent/ar-AAGEPTx
Nope...only gas.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29641/...98000-vehicles

Looks like I'll be getting some coin back for my allroad.
Old 09-02-2019 | 09:29 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

and I think we generally outperformed the gas mileage numbers, at least pre-fix.
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:03 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

I just got a check engine light on our 2014 diesel Cayenne with messages or other abnormalities shown the car has 98,000+ miles and has had the def blue heater element replaced at least twice. The latest under the current recall. I’m taking it to the dealer in the morning as they think it may be an EGR valve . Others that have had an EGR issues, did you get any messages other than a check engine light
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:50 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

f4 plt,
When I got a CEL in my CD the dealer replaced the EGR control valve at 40K miles.

Good luck

Rob
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:15 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Had to have the dealer reset the AdBlue fill sensor, again. I followed the procedure in the manual and the light did go off, then came back on a few days later and refused to clear. My icarsoft couldn't clear it, can a Durametric?
Old 09-10-2019 | 11:59 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Took my car to the dealer. They ran the codes and it was not an EGR control va,vet issue but instead a fuel injector going bad. Part had to be ordered and I was told no issue to continue driving the car . They will replace it when the part comes in
Old 09-10-2019 | 12:04 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Took my car to the dealer. They ran the codes and it was not an EGR control va,vet issue but instead a fuel injector going bad. Part had to be ordered and I was told no issue to continue driving the car . They will replace it when the part comes in
Will it be covered under the emissions warranty? Or are you coming out of pocket for it? Just wondering what people are getting covered.
Old 09-10-2019 | 01:07 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Will it be covered under the emissions warranty? Or are you coming out of pocket for it? Just wondering what people are getting covered.
I did not ask, but the car is still under CPO warranty so it should be covered
Old 09-10-2019 | 06:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docwyte
Had to have the dealer reset the AdBlue fill sensor, again. I followed the procedure in the manual and the light did go off, then came back on a few days later and refused to clear. My icarsoft couldn't clear it, can a Durametric?
Too much Volkswagen, not enough Porsche to get the Durametric to talk to the Cayenne, unfortunately. Might have better luck with a VAG-COM.
Old 09-10-2019 | 07:10 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Too much Volkswagen, not enough Porsche to get the Durametric to talk to the Cayenne, unfortunately. Might have better luck with a VAG-COM.
I've had no trouble resetting oil change and scheduled maintenance alerts on my Cayenne Diesel using the Durametric. I'm not sure what would be involved with AdBlue, though. Isn't that strictly just a level sensor, and not something that requires a reset? I've always topped off my AdBlue myself when the alert comes up and I've never had to clear anything -- no dealer or Durametric involved at all.

Maybe a failing sensor, docwyte? I'm not sure how it works, but I don't think there's anything in the computer that needs to be reset.
Old 09-10-2019 | 08:48 PM
BrewDude
Racer

VCDS won't communicate fully either, unless you have the latest HEX-Net dongles anyway, and even then it's still sketchy.

My PoCOM has surprised me as far as features and it's cheaper than Durametric with more frequent updates to the software.
Old 09-11-2019 | 10:01 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
I've had no trouble resetting oil change and scheduled maintenance alerts on my Cayenne Diesel using the Durametric. I'm not sure what would be involved with AdBlue, though. Isn't that strictly just a level sensor, and not something that requires a reset? I've always topped off my AdBlue myself when the alert comes up and I've never had to clear anything -- no dealer or Durametric involved at all.

Maybe a failing sensor, docwyte? I'm not sure how it works, but I don't think there's anything in the computer that needs to be reset.
Definitely something the dealer can reset. They plugged into it and were able to reset the warning light. The sensor has been replaced a couple of times already.
Old 09-16-2019 | 12:56 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Alright, so I had a few free moments this afternoon and did some quick data logs with the PIWIS. It was a humid day and the throttle lag was apparent.

I feel pretty confident it’s mostly the trans. I was able to record a full 1.5s between me flooring it, and the engine calling for boost... it was waiting for the trans to react. Requested boost level remained flat until it selected gear, THEN requested boost went up and THEN actual boost ramped up.

Putting the car in manual mode and flooring it, requested boost jumps up immediately.

Contributing to the lag... my theory... has to do with the manifold being full of nothing but EGR gas. When you drop the throttle the car gets almost 100% EGR. For seconds, it will sit at 100% EGR until you tip back in and the EGR ramps down.

So decelerate from speed, you get full EGR, and tip into the throttle rolling a corner... the engine is choking and full of its own exhaust, the trans doesn’t know what to do so it sits doing nothing... THEN it decides to add boost.

I wish I had a unfixed one I could look at data on.

It also makes me think to wait until Malone offers a TCU tune to go along with their ECM tunes...
The following 4 users liked this post by User 52121:
BrewDude (09-16-2019), hotrod2448 (09-16-2019), MJG911 (09-16-2019), Nugget (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019 | 09:08 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Alright, so I had a few free moments this afternoon and did some quick data logs with the PIWIS. It was a humid day and the throttle lag was apparent.

I feel pretty confident it’s mostly the trans. I was able to record a full 1.5s between me flooring it, and the engine calling for boost... it was waiting for the trans to react. Requested boost level remained flat until it selected gear, THEN requested boost went up and THEN actual boost ramped up.

Putting the car in manual mode and flooring it, requested boost jumps up immediately.

Contributing to the lag... my theory... has to do with the manifold being full of nothing but EGR gas. When you drop the throttle the car gets almost 100% EGR. For seconds, it will sit at 100% EGR until you tip back in and the EGR ramps down.

So decelerate from speed, you get full EGR, and tip into the throttle rolling a corner... the engine is choking and full of its own exhaust, the trans doesn’t know what to do so it sits doing nothing... THEN it decides to add boost.

I wish I had a unfixed one I could look at data on.

It also makes me think to wait until Malone offers a TCU tune to go along with their ECM tunes...
Except for the EGR aspect, it's exactly what I've been seeing, thinking and telling my dealer!

Lately, when cold (first thing in the morning; and by cold, I'm talking mid to high 50s), the transmission has become so bad, it almost seems like there's a binding somewhere in the system. 3rd gear, about 22 mph as the trans hunts for what the hell it's supposed to be doing (TC lock up, shift to 4th to keep RPM as low as possible or upshift to provide enough torque to keep going), it's started bucking pretty good. This is on the '15; no reports of this behavior on the '14.

Dropping it off tomorrow afternoon and then back Wed AM to demonstrate.
Old 09-16-2019 | 09:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
Except for the EGR aspect, it's exactly what I've been seeing, thinking and telling my dealer!

Lately, when cold (first thing in the morning; and by cold, I'm talking mid to high 50s), the transmission has become so bad, it almost seems like there's a binding somewhere in the system. 3rd gear, about 22 mph as the trans hunts for what the hell it's supposed to be doing (TC lock up, shift to 4th to keep RPM as low as possible or upshift to provide enough torque to keep going), it's started bucking pretty good. This is on the '15; no reports of this behavior on the '14.

Dropping it off tomorrow afternoon and then back Wed AM to demonstrate.
The digging started based on a theory that I, and some former co-workers (diesel engineers) had over how they "fixed" it - as well as a preventative check. In a lot of diesels, I've been told that EGR is used when at WOT to reduce cylinder pressures. When considering a Malone tune, and a full EGR disable, we were wondering - if the strategy uses EGR to keep cylinder pressures down, this mighe be an issue. But testing confirmed - at WOT, EGR is 0. The other thing we wanted to look at was the tip-in performance. I/we expected to see a lot more EGR during throttle tip-in to explain the horrible lag. It was the only easy thing we could come up with that might make sense. EGR the bejeebers out of it for emissions and since you're nowhere near the "peak" performance numbers they won't get penalized.

But the instant you tip in heavy - the EGR valve is (commanded to, anyways) slam shut. So the remaining theory is that, since it's damn near (or actually IS) 100% EGR while you're slowing down... the entire intake path has backfilled with exhaust gas enough that when you tip in... you're basically gagging the engine for a bit.

I suppose there's also the chance the EGR is still hanging open - tho the system DOES monitor actual EGR position so if there's a chance for it to hang open, being an emissions component, I'd expect a CEL immediately.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue