Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As Skiahh pointed out, there is a correlation of most symptoms due to the transmission software change.

But I firmly believe; it's the ECU update that has more effect on the lost smoothness of operation.
Yes the TCM was modified to fit the tune, but the ECU has had the most effect on how each of our vehicles are and will run in the future.

What I mean by this, depending on each individuals vehicle mileage and how and where they get driven predominantly (City or Highway),
in my case with a 50k mileage (80km) when they fix was done, our '14 CD already had a huge amount of carbon buildup in the induction side.

This was rectified when my Dealer replaced the EGR valve and also cleaned out all the inlet track components including the manifold etc.
That's when I felt she was running the smoothest, but now have the Radiator Fan problem as mentioned in my prior text's.

If you think about it; originally the ECU software is designed for new completely clean engines, beautiful!
But now this fix is being loaded on vehicles with varying mileage's and potentially massive amounts of carbon buildup like my case, l mean I saw this stuff and was shocked at the intensity of each components blockage. This is bad news for any motor.

My vehicles above mileage is mostly highway, hence the 50k mile's (80km), so very little stop go in traffic.
I do feel this was a big factor in the stumbling effect I was feeling and what Skiahh may also be experiencing, at that low speed and then mild acceleration.

There is a silver lining though, on the Touareg TDi forum there is a gentleman by the way of (yrktreg) managing to retune the TCM modules to almost pre fix modes. I and other CD owners have asked if he can do ours as well, his response was positive.

I'd like to mention that all my vehicle woes, have taken place at Sea Level in the South Surrey/White Rock area of BC, adjacent to the Washington State border. My Wife and I have just recently relocated to Kelowna, BC.
Cheers.

Last edited by Rupert16; 06-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:27 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert16
I'd like to mention that all my vehicle woes, have taken place at Sea Level in the South Surrey/White Rock area of BC, adjacent to the Washington State border. My Wife and I have just recently relocated to Kelowna, BC.
Cheers.
Maybe it's just the sea air out here; I'm in Bellingham.

Good info and I'll have the service folks check out the EGR valve and system when it goes in shortly.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

The easiest inspection first is the Swirl Flap Pre EGR valve, mine was 50% blocked.
So you can now imagine what sort of screwed up Air Fuel ratio's, these Machines must be suffering from.
Once I get my Girl back I'm installing a Mann Pro-Vent 200 CCV Filter, to help alleviate the masses of Oil Blow by, that's feed back into the Induction side.
Unfortunately the Factory Coalescing Filter built into Passenger side Valve Cover, gets overwhelmed and in turn the Blow By happens, contaminating everything down stream.
Intercooler's, hose's and anything on the way to the inlet manifold, which then turns into a Gooy Black Carbon mess because of the Engines heat. Bad News!!!
I already have the neccessary parts to install the Mann Filter, the only thing I need to do, is make a small bracket to mount the Filter ahead of the Air Filter Housing.

Skiahh if you'd like to PM me I'd like to Chat to you about your CD issue's?
Cheers.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:47 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

That's weird. An EGR valve is a pretty simple device. My '03 diesel Ram has zero issues with intake compromise. Not the same engine, I know, but you'd think a 12 year newer engine wouldn't have this problem.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I forgot to re-post the link to the diesel emission survey in my update last week. If you haven’t taken the survey, take a minute to share your thoughts. It takes about one minute.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YQ56FDH
Old 06-11-2018, 11:35 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
That's weird. An EGR valve is a pretty simple device. My '03 diesel Ram has zero issues with intake compromise. Not the same engine, I know, but you'd think a 12 year newer engine wouldn't have this problem.
They get gummed up and held open.

It's a bigger issue on diesels used as passenger cars. They don't get loaded and run hard enough to keep the EGR clean. The 6.0 Powerstroke has the same issue. By the time that truck hit the market, Diesel became synonymous with "luxury" and the King Ranch edition. People were using them to take the kids to soccer practice and in the drive-thru, vs pulling 16,000lbs. Tougher emissions standards combined with gentle driving (everyone was tip-toe'ing to get fuel economy) and the truck just never got run hard enough to keep the EGR clean. 6.0's that are driven as trucks have zero issues.

Betting it's gonna be the same especially post-fix here. Drive it extra gentle for fuel economy, they probably dump a TON of EGR in to keep emissions clean... and you get gummed up parts.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I don't work my Ram hard most of the time. I don't *****-foot, it, though. And every now and then, I romp it hard - up to redline - to blow out anything that's built up in there.

But mostly, it hauls me and bikes around to the trails or skis up to the hill. It gets loaded up with yard debris a few times a year and once in a while hitched up to something very heavy. And it sits for longer periods sometimes, too. I've had zero engine problems with this vehicle. I've watched the power race between the three engines and really think the 03-04 engine in the Rams is the best of the bunch. But no EGR issues. No oil issues. No fuel issues.

I don't *****-foot the CD, either. I accelerate it hard onto the highway. It occasionally gets loaded up in the back with some weight. It sees both short and long runs at high speeds. Some twisties, though not lately, since it's not fun trying to time the power onset. Definitely not driven like the King Ranch trucks, though! lol Hoping we don't get gummed up parts, but I don't think that's the issue here.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:39 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ any diesel pre 2007 are void of PDF and DEF. EGR deletes are common and cleanings are easy. This is why most pre 07 diesel vehicles have good resale value today. There are many examples of 300K plus miles of those motors still running around.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:09 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

DEF shouldn't have anything to do with things, though. It's injected into the exhaust system, so not a factor in combustion or transmission points.

You are right... my RAM doesn't have DEF or a PDF.

I don't think it's got a EGR, either, so while it will "carbon up", it may not be gumming up from recirculated gasses. Definite difference there that I hadn't thought of.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My EGR is bad, got a CEL for it and had the dealer diagnose it today. In speaking with the tech, he said that he spends several hours cleaning carbon build up during the EGR replacement job. He mentioned that he's seen the throttle body openings block by more than 50%, so I'm expecting he will be busy on my 129k mile CD next week.

I would think that big of an impact on airflow inside the intake system would impact driveability, so I will pay attention to before/after performance when they do the fix, and see if it impacts the lag many of us have been seeing.

I'll also ask him if he can take pictures during the job, so we can see the extend of the buildup.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if a treatment like sea-foam or the likes would be of benefit?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Default 5622

Hi there,

I wouldn't be using anything like sea-foam on our modern Diesels, way to suffisticated for those type of chemicals.

That stuff might work on American truck engines, being that they are not as precise and suffisticated.
Hence them still being sold, as there emission standards aren't as complicated. Go figure!

As in my CD a hard clean is the only way to go, yes a little more expense but that's the price we pay for one of these Awesome Engines.

Hell even Dodge and Ford use Italian and Landrover V6 3.0 TDi derived engines respectively.
Ok Ford may have modified the heads for the truck purpose.

This Caboning up of the induction systems on our diesels, isn't new. Just go on some Aussie diesel Japanese engine tuning and EGR problem forums. You'll see all sorts of serious carbon issues with Toyota's, Nissan and Mitsubishi Pickups.

Cheers.

Last edited by Rupert16; 06-15-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Remove post please.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert16

That stuff might work on American truck engines, being that they are not as precise and suffisticated.
Hence them still being sold, as there emission standards aren't as complicated. Go figure!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
You're not suffisticated enough to understand...
Old 06-14-2018, 07:01 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
[/left]
Hell, you need to pay attention at work. LOL

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue