Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 PM
PDR447
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the fix is mostly a non issue.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:37 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for doing this, PJ. Looks like it is mostly an nonissue but for that 3000 rpm thing.

Still doing original plan to wait till next year
Old 04-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been away a bit and have probably 5 or 6k on the fix.

I mostly hate it.
Mainly, it's the reduction in engine braking which seems to magnify turbo lag. This was never a problem pre-fix. Prior, the engine behaved much more like a n/a gas engine or a supercharged engine. Now, it feels like a turbo from the 80s or 90s. It's really annoying. As soon as you pull your foot from the gas, the engine RPMs seem to drop like a two-stroke engine with a lightened fly wheel.

One of the reasons I loved the CD was the engine was so smooth and so response. Now, not so much.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
1. Have you tried to reset adaptations? Turn key to 2nd position and press accelerator down for 5-10 seconds.

2. Take it back to dealer to reflash ECU. If tech did not put it on a tender or if there are voltage fluctuations during new map upload, then the flash may be wonky.
Just read this. I'll give this a shot or have the dealer give it another try.

As stated earlier, that roll-on acceleration lag is incredibly annoying and the biggest change I've noticed.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:45 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
I've been away a bit and have probably 5 or 6k on the fix.

I mostly hate it.
Mainly, it's the reduction in engine braking which seems to magnify turbo lag. This was never a problem pre-fix. Prior, the engine behaved much more like a n/a gas engine or a supercharged engine. Now, it feels like a turbo from the 80s or 90s. It's really annoying. As soon as you pull your foot from the gas, the engine RPMs seem to drop like a two-stroke engine with a lightened fly wheel.

One of the reasons I loved the CD was the engine was so smooth and so response. Now, not so much.
That's how I've been thinking the roll on acceleration feels. 3-5 seconds for the thing to develop power. To be specific, it's the roll on power after slowing. Off the line it's strong. Rolling on from a constant speed is fine. It's the slow down, then re-apply power where it's really bad.

I finally quantified another change, at least in my mind. The transmission no longer "anticipates" your driving, it's strictly reactionary, where before, it seemed to almost always be in the right gear. The transmission is always pushing for the lowest RPM possible without lugging, probably to keep emissions down. And it stays low until you absolutely force the downshift with either the paddles or a foot to the floor. It doesn't seem to downshift short of a floor shot of the accelerator pedal.

And does it seem to anyone else that Sport mode simply doesn't exist any more?

Last edited by skiahh; 04-10-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Big difference with Sport mode in mine...
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I still love the Sport Mode. Big difference, for the better, here too.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Originally Posted by BenCD
Ditto.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by skiahh
That's how I've been thinking the roll on acceleration feels. 3-5 seconds for the thing to develop power. To be specific, it's the roll on power after slowing. Off the line it's strong. Rolling on from a constant speed is fine. It's the slow down, then re-apply power where it's really bad.

I finally quantified another change, at least in my mind. The transmission no longer "anticipates" your driving, it's strictly reactionary, where before, it seemed to almost always be in the right gear. The transmission is always pushing for the lowest RPM possible without lugging, probably to keep emissions down. And it stays low until you absolutely force the downshift with either the paddles or a foot to the floor. It doesn't seem to downshift short of a floor shot of the accelerator pedal.

An excellent description.

I have not tried Sport mode. The CD has mainly been a ski and tow vehicle since the fix. Perhaps in a month or two when I swap in the summer tires.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:40 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Originally Posted by BenCD
Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ditto.
More data point to possibly needing a reflash.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 AM
djwpe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh

this is exactly how I described it. The transmission was uncanny how it knew what gear to be in, and the fix ruined that. If I hadn't driven it for 4 years before the fix, I never would've know how good it could be.

I never used used sport mode before, and I don't like the throttle map in sport mode.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:46 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 101 Posts

Volkswagen Set to Oust Matthias Müller as C.E.O. After Diesel Scandal

By JACK EWING APRIL 10, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/10/b...as-muller.html

Last edited by RS-America; 04-11-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 AM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by djwpe

this is exactly how I described it. The transmission was uncanny how it knew what gear to be in, and the fix ruined that. If I hadn't driven it for 4 years before the fix, I never would've know how good it could be.

I never used used sport mode before, and I don't like the throttle map in sport mode.
I think that’s part of the engine braking. Without the transmission ECU holding a lower gear, you get what we have now, a less crsip engine response. A shame, really.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ has anyone with the fixed ones tried driving on manual mode only? Maybe it becomes better by just shifting the transmission ourselves
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
^^^ has anyone with the fixed ones tried driving on manual mode only? Maybe it becomes better by just shifting the transmission ourselves
Yes. You can manually upshift to keep yourself in boost.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue