Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017 | 01:58 PM
docdent
Advanced

Originally Posted by docdent
Has anyone heard anything today? Any idea on court schedule?
I just found this.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN1CS231

And this

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...l-epa-carb.pdf
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:06 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Crickets. Can't find anything via Google, CARB or EPA sites.

Don't think it'll be a court schedule... it'll be a rulemaking decision from one/both of those agencies. Court has approved it all, so I would think it's just follow up documents to the court saying the fix is approve, if that's the case.

If not, then more court activity - to approve extensions for cause (no $$) or at VW's request ($500/30 days).

Your Google skills are better than mine!
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:10 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

At least, based on the first Reuters article, the fix has been approved. I'm good with that.
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:10 PM
docdent
Advanced

Originally Posted by skiahh
Crickets. Can't find anything via Google, CARB or EPA sites.

Don't think it'll be a court schedule... it'll be a rulemaking decision from one/both of those agencies. Court has approved it all, so I would think it's just follow up documents to the court saying the fix is approve, if that's the case.

If not, then more court activity - to approve extensions for cause (no $$) or at VW's request ($500/30 days).
If the fix is approved then that is it. The only deadline was to get a fix approved. I’m not sure there is a deadline to implement the fix.
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:12 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Interesting... from the EPA letter:

"Defendants shall, within ten days of the date of this approval, provide all Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees with notice that the Emissions Modifications for Test Groups [bunch of group designations] is available...."

Wonder if it's actually available for installation?
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

"Defendants shall, within ten days of the date of this approval, provide all Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees with notice that the Emissions Modifications for Test Groups [bunch of group designations] is available...."

Good question. It's been approved, people have to be notified... hmm.

That next check might be coming much sooner than I was anticipating.
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:18 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Unless it is purely a software update, I don't see how it's possible. It would have been nice to know what the fix is, and any performance/fuel consumption changes. Suppose we'll all find out sooner or later.
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Good question. It's been approved, people have to be notified... hmm.

That next check might be coming much sooner than I was anticipating.
I will not be anywhere near first in line for the fix. My only motivation is the warranty for up to 8 years, which seems to cover a lot of expensive parts. With two years remaining on the 6 yr warranty, I will just wait it out a bit longer. Sure I could use the check for other things, but lets just say confidence is low in driving out of the service center with anything close to what I drove in with.

Edit: Interesting the 2.1 and 2.2 were approved in the same letter. We were only expecting a 2.2 approval by today.
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I will not be anywhere near first in line for the fix. My only motivation is the warranty for up to 8 years, which seems to cover a lot of expensive parts. With two years remaining on the 6 yr warranty, I will just wait it out a bit longer. Sure I could use the check for other things, but lets just say confidence is low in driving out of the service center with anything close to what I drove in with.
If it's anything like the fix the 2.0 guys got - most folks seem happy with the post-fix results.

I won't be #1 in line but I likely won't sit on it either.
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:50 PM
NAAMAZ
Advanced

Here is another article with a bit more detail.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...el-suvs-in-u-s
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NAAMAZ
Here is another article with a bit more detail.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...el-suvs-in-u-s
From the article

The 2015 Audi Q5 as well as the 2013-2014 VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne SUVs will receive a software update only, while Touaregs and Cayennes from model years 2015-2016 will get hardware changes as well
I wonder if that's a typo?
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:56 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne

Edit: Interesting the 2.1 and 2.2 were approved in the same letter. We were only expecting a 2.2 approval by today.
Not that much of a surprise to me if what has been speculated on is actually true. That is, that the 2.2s only need a software change and the 2.1s will be brought to 2.2 HW specs and then have the same software fix applied. And the simultaneous approval lends credence to this possibility.

And if that's the case, the HW may already be available, too, meaning fixes could, indeed, be ready very shortly.

I agree with you; I probably won't be first in line, either. I want to see if this neuters the vehicle before proceeding.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
From the article

I wonder if that's a typo?
Interesting... that's backwards from all the rumors/speculation. Maybe taking the 2.2s to 2.1 HW configuration and then software for both?
Old 10-23-2017 | 02:59 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

^^^Interesting, the common assumption was backwards for the 13/14 vs 15/16. The former gets Software upgrades (I’m in favor of that) vice the Software/Hardware of the latter. Stoked as long as power and mpg is not negated.
Old 10-23-2017 | 03:05 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
^^^Interesting, the common assumption was backwards for the 13/14 vs 15/16. The former gets Software upgrades (I’m in favor of that) vice the Software/Hardware of the latter. Stoked as long as power and mpg is not negated.
I'm also stoked. I wanted the buyback but didn't want the buyback. It would have been nice to get a new 2018/2019 S, but at the same time, I love the diesel and as good as it is, there would be no way to turn down the buyback.

Now with the fix approved, I get MORE money$5,055 and get to keep the diesel and everything that is awesome about it.
Old 10-23-2017 | 03:48 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Not that much of a surprise to me if what has been speculated on is actually true. That is, that the 2.2s only need a software change and the 2.1s will be brought to 2.2 HW specs and then have the same software fix applied. And the simultaneous approval lends credence to this possibility.

And if that's the case, the HW may already be available, too, meaning fixes could, indeed, be ready very shortly.

I agree with you; I probably won't be first in line, either. I want to see if this neuters the vehicle before proceeding.

Interesting... that's backwards from all the rumors/speculation. Maybe taking the 2.2s to 2.1 HW configuration and then software for both?
I doubt that’s a typo. Common assumptions are that newer models are always getting more stuff. But you gotta understand that VW was manipulating from the go. Why out more stuff on a car that passes Software wise? I’m betting the hardware between the two are different and the way in which they’re controlled Software wise is the issue.

Edit. I was wrong and the article incorrect from Bloomberg.
https://www.epa.gov/vw/epa-and-carb-...ility-vehicles

Last edited by Sword_of_the_Spirit; 10-23-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue