Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017 | 02:40 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp..._2-1_FINAL.pdf

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...-2-2_FINAL.pdf

The way it’s looking, I’m going to run with it as is till warranty expires or longer. I’m sure people will be in the market for a grandfathered Diesel if I ever sell. You lose some nice features (Braking downhill, etc) and add some not fun ones (def up 40%). They need to provide a complete in writing to customers about the mpg cycle and power loss. Those two items are not address specifically in the brochures.
Ooof. That's not what I was hoping to read on the fix.

Originally Posted by visitador
I am not going to take a bath in the depreciation front. Given that I basically now have an extra 2 years of CPO warranty, the CD is going on long distance trips the next two years.
The long distance trips is one of the reasons why I bought a CD. It's a great place to much road miles and the fuel economy is terrific.

Originally Posted by gnat
Hmmm... For the 2.1 the shifting in Sport Mode will be "less dynamic", loss of downhill engine braking (didn't know it was a specific feature, but I enjoy it quite a bit!), and loss of MPG...

Yeah. I'll pass and be perfectly happy with my half payment.

At least its finally done now and we can mostly move on (still be interested to hear how it does impact those that go for the update).
Downhill breaking is key in gnarly icy and snowy conditions. That's ****ty it's being removed.

Same with the sport shifting. While it's no DSG, it is nice and I have been enjoying that feature in the short time I've owned my CD.

Originally Posted by BenCD
As our diesels are not exactly barnstormers in the first place, I could live with a change in Sport Mode-which I will admit is fun, but don't use all that often.

To forsake 1/2 the money(Bosch $$$ too) AND more importantly, a free warranty extension which for me would be 8 more years and 85,800 miles, would not make sense for me. Let me not forget the loaner, full tank of gas and cleaning . . .
That's kind of where I stand; hard to pass on all that, even if things are, erm... neutered a bit.

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Providing it doesn't turn into a complete dog, i think the strategy here would be to wait until your 6yr factory warranty is up, then have the emissions update done for another 4 years of what looks like a pretty good engine warranty. This way you get new parts in an older vehicle and you get to enjoy it in it's current configuration for as long as possible under warranty. For us low mileage drivers, 10 years of coverage is a pretty good deal. I'm thinking in two years or so, when the CD is 6 yrs old, we'll be less inclined to worry about its' ultimate performance. In all honesty, there's a good chance we'll move on to something else by then.
I like that plan. That's my preliminary thought right now. After all, I'm still under the original factory five year warranty.
Old 10-26-2017 | 03:16 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Ooof. That's not what I was hoping to read on the fix. The long distance trips is one of the reasons why I bought a CD. It's a great place to much road miles and the fuel economy is terrific.Downhill breaking is key in gnarly icy and snowy conditions. That's ****ty it's being removed.

Same with the sport shifting. While it's no DSG, it is nice and I have been enjoying that feature in the short time I've owned my CD.That's kind of where I stand; hard to pass on all that, even if things are, erm... neutered a bit.I like that plan. That's my preliminary thought right now. After all, I'm still under the original factory five year warranty.
And who knows. If VW is not able to reach the 85% participatory threshold, they may have to come back to us with more goodies.

Oops I meant to quote the idea of doing nothing during the extra two years of extended warranty before applying the fix
Old 10-26-2017 | 03:38 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Ooof. That's not what I was hoping to read on the fix.

The long distance trips is one of the reasons why I bought a CD. It's a great place to much road miles and the fuel economy is terrific.

Downhill breaking is key in gnarly icy and snowy conditions. That's ****ty it's being removed.

Same with the sport shifting. While it's no DSG, it is nice and I have been enjoying that feature in the short time I've owned my CD.

That's kind of where I stand; hard to pass on all that, even if things are, erm... neutered a bit.

I like that plan. That's my preliminary thought right now. After all, I'm still under the original factory five year warranty.
You mean original four year warranty (4/50K), now six (6/100K).

It's about what I expected. And to answer a previous post, I suspect the comparison numbers are baselined off the original spec/certification numbers, not real world, anecdotal numbers.

For example, Omni reports 22-23 mpg while pulling a load. I got that while loaded up and carrying 2 bikes on a hitch rack, but not pulling a mobile wind break, so either one of us is doing math wrong or these vehicles have quite a bit of variance in real world performance. Note: my numbers are based on hand calculations, not what the computer says. Oh, and I was averaging 80ish mph...

As for the automatic engine braking, I didn't even know it was there. Just means you'll now have to have some finesse on the brakes. And if you don't, the ABS is pretty damn good. I'm not overly concerned about this change.

Engine noise when warming up. I wonder if it'll clatter like a diesel now, rather than being much more like a gas engine in sound?

And the **** patters during warmup? Sounds like it'll be in Sport Mode for warm up! Of course, while it might emit less NOx because of running at higher RPMs, it certainly seems like it'd be a wash in the end, since spinning the engine faster will require more fuel overall, therefore emitting more pollutants....

But they say it'll only cost "up to" 1 mpg. So maybe not.

No, these aren't sports cars, but the Sport mode does help in lots of situations, so I hope it's not too subdued.

It'll be interesting to see some dyno numbers of "fixed" vehicles.
Old 10-26-2017 | 04:07 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

To forsake 1/2 the money(Bosch $$$ too) AND more importantly, a free warranty extension which for me would be 8 more years and 85,800 miles, would not make sense for me.
The Bosch settlement is not tied to the fix. They left wording in on how/when they pay out, but there are no requirements from our end to qualify.

For me ~$3500 isn't enough to accept significantly (based on why I bought it and how I use it) changing the vehicle. To say that there is no performance impact and then to tell us that the shifting patterns (which are directly related to performance) are changing says that they are being very careful with their language and using very specific meanings of words (e.g. "performance" is probably referring only to engine output at the crank and not at the wheels or any potential torque curve changes).

I also believe that 1mpg change as much as I believe all the EPA MPG ratings.

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
1)Are MPG figures based off the EPA numbers pre scandal or the actual MPG given during the testing post scandal
The only thing they are being held to is what it is represented as. So in this case we are talking 25/29 to 24/28. Those that regularly see much higher values, however, may (I would almost bet on it) see a much more significant drop.

As long as you still meet the new adjusted numbers, however, there is bubkiss you can do about it. Even if you do fall below the numbers they'll use the same "driving pattern" excuses that they do in normal circumstances.
Old 10-26-2017 | 04:17 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Yes, there is no info on hp and torque changes. Give us factual numbers rather than lawyer English talk
Old 10-26-2017 | 04:51 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Post Ooo

Originally Posted by skiahh
You mean original four year warranty (4/50K), now six (6/100K).

It's about what I expected. And to answer a previous post, I suspect the comparison numbers are baselined off the original spec/certification numbers, not real world, anecdotal numbers.

That’s the million dollar question which cannot be stated unless by Porsche, CARB, or EPA themselves. With the info given, they do not. As such (under the court restitution documents) , they “shall” furnish such data. They have only listed two data points (up to 40% def increase and up to 1mpg reduction). Who knows what the original numbers were as they were skewed from the get go under those “lab” conditions. The EPA didn’t even know, otherwise the diesels would have never hit the shores. I did see though that they did real world drive cycles (all test groups) in North LA up to Baldy and then another down into LA proper. But it isn’t clear what previous data is being compared.

For example, Omni reports 22-23 mpg while pulling a load. I got that while loaded up and carrying 2 bikes on a hitch rack, but not pulling a mobile wind break, so either one of us is doing math wrong or these vehicles have quite a bit of variance in real world performance. Note: my numbers are based on hand calculations, not what the computer says. Oh, and I was averaging 80ish mph...

As for the automatic engine braking, I didn't even know it was there. Just means you'll now have to have some finesse on the brakes. And if you don't, the ABS is pretty damn good. I'm not overly concerned about this change.

Engine noise when warming up. I wonder if it'll clatter like a diesel now, rather than being much more like a gas engine in sound?

And the **** patters during warmup? Sounds like it'll be in Sport Mode for warm up! Of course, while it might emit less NOx because of running at higher RPMs, it certainly seems like it'd be a wash in the end, since spinning the engine faster will require more fuel overall, therefore emitting more pollutants....

But they say it'll only cost "up to" 1 mpg. So maybe not.

No, these aren't sports cars, but the Sport mode does help in lots of situations, so I hope it's not too subdued.

It'll be interesting to see some dyno numbers of "fixed" vehicles.
nnnn
Old 10-26-2017 | 05:19 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

so is the long block actually covered, or are they saying that its still part of the original long block warranty?

Once the updated emissions control system software has been installed in your
vehicle, Porsche will extend your Emissions Control Systems Warranty for certain
emissions-related components. For the following 3.0 L diesel engine vehicles
repaired by the emissions modification recall, a warranty extension is applicable
as defined below

"Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly
that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and
valve train"

Its added in there at the end, but doesn't really specify if its part of the emmissions control warranty or if its a warning that its not part of it.
Old 10-26-2017 | 05:32 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJG911
so is the long block actually covered, or are they saying that its still part of the original long block warranty?

Once the updated emissions control system software has been installed in your
vehicle, Porsche will extend your Emissions Control Systems Warranty for certain
emissions-related components. For the following 3.0 L diesel engine vehicles
repaired by the emissions modification recall, a warranty extension is applicable
as defined below

"Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly
that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and
valve train"

Its added in there at the end, but doesn't really specify if its part of the emmissions control warranty or if its a warning that its not part of it.
As I understand it, they included the engine long block as a part of the warranty extension.
Old 10-26-2017 | 05:43 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

As I understand it, they included the engine long block as a part of the warranty extension.
Pardon my ignorance, but the long block assembly is block, pistons, crankshaft, seals, etc...the entire bottom end?
Old 10-26-2017 | 05:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
I routinely do the "math" in addition to monitoring the DIC (drives my wife nuts when I whip out the calculator app at every fill up). My DIC is usually about .7 optimistic. But yes, 22-23 average when towing by "math". Trailer is ~1100lbs, car probably right around 3000. When I tow I do the speed limit (65). Note I'm also in the Midwest, so it's FLAT out here. No hills. I live out in the country, and most of the racetracks are also in the country... so within ~2 miles I'm out of my subdivision and doing 65 with cruise set.

I've always been able to beat EPA numbers. I tend to drive pretty gently most of the time, and am almost always running cruise control outside of stop-and-go. So I suppose it's fair to offer up, "Your mileage may vary".
Old 10-26-2017 | 05:49 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Pardon my ignorance, but the long block assembly is block, pistons, crankshaft, seals, etc...the entire bottom end?
That's usually the definition of longblock. IMO I usually consider "longblock" to include the top end, too (heads/cams/etc.) If it's just the bottom end w/crank, rods, pistons, I've always considered that the "shortblock".
Old 10-26-2017 | 05:49 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

S'ok. The notice reads " . . . the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train."
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:04 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

After reading about the proposed fix for the '14 CD, I'm bummed. It seems a bit more than we all anticipated and will likely impact a few aspects of our Cayennes that we all enjoy.

With all things; time will tell.
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:04 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

So, is consensus to enjoy the additional two years "CPO" Porsche courtesy warranty before doing all these modifications and collecting the second portion of the cash settlement?
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:11 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

After reading about the proposed fix for the '14 CD, I'm bummed. It seems a bit more than we all anticipated and will likely impact a few aspects of our Cayennes that we all enjoy.
I didn't read the 2.2 doc, but with the exception of the engine braking it seems to fit about what most of us expected to see (e.g. reduced mpg, increased AdBlue, etc..). The shifting pattern changes don't even surprise me (though I would have expected them to the normal mode rather than Sport).

Originally Posted by visitador
So, is consensus to enjoy the additional two years "CPO" Porsche courtesy warranty before doing all these modifications and collecting the second portion of the cash settlement?
Yes I think PJ has the right of it. If you are going to let them "fix" your vehicle, plan it so that you do it as soon as possible after your current coverage runs out.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue