Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

FWIW, I was speaking with my SA today to get an airbag replaced on my '14 GTS. He said that he was informed they (the dealer) would be receiving hardware for the fix in early November (gear starts to be shipped on 11/6). For my '13 CD, he said the hardware included a new catalytic converter and another piece (he forgot the specifics but I'd guess something DPF?), plus the software upgrade. No reason for him to make anything up, and he's been very responsive in my experience, so hopefully it's a good sign that the repairs will begin relatively soon. I'll wait until I get something in writing to get more excited.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
FWIW, I was speaking with my SA today to get an airbag replaced on my '14 GTS. He said that he was informed they (the dealer) would be receiving hardware for the fix in early November (gear starts to be shipped on 11/6). For my '13 CD, he said the hardware included a new catalytic converter and another piece (he forgot the specifics but I'd guess something DPF?), plus the software upgrade. No reason for him to make anything up, and he's been very responsive in my experience, so hopefully it's a good sign that the repairs will begin relatively soon. I'll wait until I get something in writing to get more excited.
I got same today from dealer:
they've ordered parts and expect early Nov
customer notice starting in a week or so
the earlier models will get: new cat, adblu injector, a couple sensors, and programming (I may not have this exactly right)
Newer models programming only
He said it will take a day or 2, not because of the amount of work, but because of the level of documentation required by Porsche (assume its due to the lawsuit/recall).
he's happy he'll be able to sell the many diesels he has on the lot finally
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Interestingly there are not what I would consider a lot for sale nationwide. I have a 2014 and they are holding steady in the mid $40k price range. If one combines the settlement money with a project sale price that is less than a $10k drop from the price I paid.

I bring this up because I'm considering selling mine after the fix. I'm wondering if it will help the value or will it get hurt with Porsche dealers dumping all the ones they can't sell today. The MSRP on the 2014s was already $7k cheaper than the 2015s because of the model refresh (well and to separate it from the Macan). If can sell and only walk away with a $9k expenditure over 3 years I'll take it.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:13 AM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still get a "Emissions Modification for your vehicle not yet approved" message '13CD. I did not elect to receive the half payment.

Anyone else have that?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tmario
I still get a "Emissions Modification for your vehicle not yet approved" message '13CD. I did not elect to receive the half payment.

Anyone else have that?
What did you elect?

They just haven't updated the claim site yet. My account shows the same thing. But on the front page of the settlement site, there's an announcement about the 2.1 and 2.2 SUV fix approval.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp..._2-1_FINAL.pdf

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...-2-2_FINAL.pdf

The way it’s looking, I’m going to run with it as is till warranty expires or longer. I’m sure people will be in the market for a grandfathered Diesel if I ever sell. You lose some nice features (Braking downhill, etc) and add some not fun ones (def up 40%). They need to provide a complete in writing to customers about the mpg cycle and power loss. Those two items are not address specifically in the brochures.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit

The way it’s looking, I’m going to run with it as is till warranty expires or longer. I’m sure people will be in the market for a grandfathered Diesel if I ever sell. You lose some nice features (Braking downhill, etc) and add some not fun ones (def up 40%). They need to provide a complete in writing to customers about the mpg cycle and power loss. Those two items are not address specifically in the brochures.
I'm with you. I'm going to run this diesel Cayenne as long as I can. Funny as I've been saying this about my last 4 vehicles going back to 2004 but I have ended up trading them all and then the 2012 Touareg TDI I had got bought back and I moved up to the 16 CD-thank goodness as it is a phenomenal truck.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:58 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I am not going to take a bath in the depreciation front. Given that I basically now have an extra 2 years of CPO warranty, the CD is going on long distance trips the next two years.

As an off topic, shall I retrofit it with a hitch system so that I can haul my other car? I think there is enough enough compensation money for that 😂
Old 10-26-2017, 12:28 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmm... For the 2.1 the shifting in Sport Mode will be "less dynamic", loss of downhill engine braking (didn't know it was a specific feature, but I enjoy it quite a bit!), and loss of MPG...

Yeah. I'll pass and be perfectly happy with my half payment.

At least its finally done now and we can mostly move on (still be interested to hear how it does impact those that go for the update).
Old 10-26-2017, 12:48 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I'm loving the: If we get a loaner, they will come and pick up the loaner and return our diesels with a full tank and a cleaning.

Note to self, make sure tank is about empty before bringing in the truck for the modification.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gnat
Hmmm... For the 2.1 the shifting in Sport Mode will be "less dynamic", loss of downhill engine braking (didn't know it was a specific feature, but I enjoy it quite a bit!), and loss of MPG...

Yeah. I'll pass and be perfectly happy with my half payment.

At least its finally done now and we can mostly move on (still be interested to hear how it does impact those that go for the update).
As our diesels are not exactly barnstormers in the first place, I could live with a change in Sport Mode-which I will admit is fun, but don't use all that often.

To forsake 1/2 the money(Bosch $$$ too) AND more importantly, a free warranty extension which for me would be 8 more years and 85,800 miles, would not make sense for me. Let me not forget the loaner, full tank of gas and cleaning . . .
Old 10-26-2017, 01:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
As an off topic, shall I retrofit it with a hitch system so that I can haul my other car? I think there is enough enough compensation money for that 😂
I had mine retrofitted with the factory hitch to tow my Cayman racecar on an open aluminum trailer.

Tows freakin' awesome. Does 22-23mpg while towing... which is better than my old 1500 Sierra did when empty!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Questions that needs answering: 1)Are MPG figures based off the EPA numbers pre scandal or the actual MPG given during the testing post scandal, and 2) Are Power figures based off of pre (Porsche figures if true??) or post new emission install testing. Regarding the former, we all now they are getting a healthy % higher mpg. It’s like that of the 2.0l. If it’s based off what the car actually got, the numbers decrease. If not, those percentages naturally increase. As for the latter, this is an interesting one. You have to safely assume that the vehicles are putting out more power or torque right now than stated on the build sheet. Which if that’s the case, they may return to those stated figures to give the power and mpg as original due to the new open/closed loop tables being installed.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Providing it doesn't turn into a complete dog, i think the strategy here would be to wait until your 6yr factory warranty is up, then have the emissions update done for another 4 years of what looks like a pretty good engine warranty. This way you get new parts in an older vehicle and you get to enjoy it in it's current configuration for as long as possible under warranty. For us low mileage drivers, 10 years of coverage is a pretty good deal. I'm thinking in two years or so, when the CD is 6 yrs old, we'll be less inclined to worry about its' ultimate performance. In all honesty, there's a good chance we'll move on to something else by then.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Questions that needs answering: 1)Are MPG figures based off the EPA numbers pre scandal or the actual MPG given during the testing post scandal, and 2) Are Power figures based off of pre (Porsche figures if true??) or post new emission install testing. Regarding the former, we all now they are getting a healthy % higher mpg. It’s like that of the 2.0l. If it’s based off what the car actually got, the numbers decrease. If not, those percentages naturally increase. As for the latter, this is an interesting one. You have to safely assume that the vehicles are putting out more power or torque right now than stated on the build sheet. Which if that’s the case, they may return to those stated figures to give the power and mpg as original due to the new open/closed loop tables being installed.
I have those same questions.

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Providing it doesn't turn into a complete dog, i think the strategy here would be to wait until your 6yr factory warranty is up, then have the emissions update done for another 4 years of what looks like a pretty good engine warranty. This way you get new parts in an older vehicle and you get to enjoy it in it's current configuration for as long as possible under warranty. For us low mileage drivers, 10 years of coverage is a pretty good deal. I'm thinking in two years or so, when the CD is 6 yrs old, we'll be less inclined to worry about its' ultimate performance. In all honesty, there's a good chance we'll move on to something else by then.
Hmmmm. Interesting plan. Could definitely be worthwhile. I may consider something similar, will have to read up more on this idea. I put a TON of miles on my CD (seem to be around ~25k/yr) and would love to stretch the warranty out a little while longer. I don't want to own this thing OUT of warranty.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue