Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
How did you get a check for $1500 when others have received $750?
I have a 2014 Touareg TDI (3.0L). Not sure if that is the difference from the Cayenne guys.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
If you don’t take the fix once available, the vehicle will not be considered legal at the federal level as it doesn’t pass EPA standards.

Even if you don’t have regular testing, the EPA can simply do a cross check between their VIN list and registrations, and the state can refuse to renew your plates until it’s on the fixed list.

That is not true but how you think it might all work is funny.

It is spelled out in the Declaration of Diesel Independence that no one is going to block anyone from using their diesel engine'd VAG product.

The " . . . EPA . . . doing cross check(s) . . . with VIN lists and registrations" That's a good one. A "fixed list", please, keep it coming. Just remember, you are right, to yourself. That truth is all yours.

Oh yeah, I remember the line in the agreement now, it says, "VW will both not pay owners the second 1/2 of the compensation money if they do not have their vehicles modified as well as be stopped from having their vehicles inspected or registered at their State's registration headquarters so obey or use your vehicle on your private property only"
Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

I certainly would not be losing ANY sleep over whether the vehicle can be registerdnpost emission “available” fix. It’s been on the shore for what will be a minimum of 2yrs or more. We all know when something is sold and used in the states, there are things such known as “Grand Fathering.” What do you think will occur for all the 2.0l that may oddly be kept by individuals?

No use having a petty argument.

Enjoy the free couple of house payments on VW depending on where you are living. Can’t beats that!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
has the warranty actually been extended to 8 yrs and 125k? I bought mine used last November and the warranty was good through 11/2019 (the car was first sold in November of 2012, a 2013 diesel). I am curious to know if anyone else has looked into the warranty extension. I was the third owner of the car and I bought it from a Porsche dealer and the warranty had been extended to seven years.

I am thinking that there will be a buyback and the warranty extension may give many owners a pause and they may want to keep the cars. I live in NC and they do not require emissions testing on diesels and gasoline model years prior to 1996.

Other than an earlier post, I have heard nothing about a warranty extension to 8 years.
Like you, I am a new CD owner. Prior to purchase, I called my local dealer and the warranty extension was confirmed. For all CDs, the warranty has been extend to 6 years/100k miles. If your CD was a CPO vehicle, Porsche has extended it to 8 years/125k miles. Both were done out of goodwill. Further, no matter the number of prior owners, the vehicle will show as under warranty in the dealer system.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD

It is spelled out in the Declaration of Diesel Independence that no one is going to block anyone from using their diesel engine'd VAG product.

The " . . . EPA . . . doing cross check(s) . . . with VIN lists and registrations" That's a good one. A "fixed list", please, keep it coming. Just remember, you are right, to yourself. That truth is all yours.

Oh yeah, I remember the line in the agreement now, it says, "VW will both not pay owners the second 1/2 of the compensation money if they do not have their vehicles modified as well as be stopped from having their vehicles inspected or registered at their State's registration headquarters so obey or use your vehicle on your private property only"
No need to be arrogant or pompous about it.

I spent a lot of time working with the EPA and CARB in a previous job working for a diesel engine manufacturer. What I suggested is entirely possible and I would not find it surprising in the least. If you ever want to meet someone with a power trip, go talk to someone who works for the EPA or CARB.

Technically all the vehicles now are not EPA certified.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Omni's right, no need to get snarky about it.

He is right... it COULD happen. In CA, I'd bet it will happen. CARB will create a regulation that gives a timeframe for all the vehicles to be fixed - to their approved fix, whether full or partial - and past that date, CA will not re-register those vehicles. Other states that use CARB as their regulators may or may not follow suit. I don't think the EPA will chime in, though, as registration is a state level function.

No need to be arrogant or pompous about it.

I spent a lot of time working with the EPA and CARB in a previous job working for a diesel engine manufacturer. What I suggested is entirely possible and I would not find it surprising in the least. If you ever want to meet someone with a power trip, go talk to someone who works for the EPA or CARB.

Technically all the vehicles now are not EPA certified.
I'm not sure I'd agree that the vehicles are no longer EPA certified. Until a fix is disapproved and, my comment above not withstanding, the EPA says they are no longer legal, under federal law, to be driven in the US, they're legal/certified/whatever and can be driven, legally, in all 50 states.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
Omni's right, no need to get snarky about it.

He is right... it COULD happen. In CA, I'd bet it will happen. CARB will create a regulation that gives a timeframe for all the vehicles to be fixed - to their approved fix, whether full or partial - and past that date, CA will not re-register those vehicles. Other states that use CARB as their regulators may or may not follow suit. I don't think the EPA will chime in, though, as registration is a state level function.
Yeah I'm sure CARB will lead the way. Will other states follow? I'm sure not ALL.

I'm not sure I'd agree that the vehicles are no longer EPA certified. Until a fix is disapproved and, my comment above not withstanding, the EPA says they are no longer legal, under federal law, to be driven in the US, they're legal/certified/whatever and can be driven, legally, in all 50 states.
EPA approval was granted under false pretenses, with a cheat in place to "beat the test".

I suppose perhaps my wording was wrong - nothing so far has been said/done to now classify these vehicles as "not EPA certified" but really... without the now-exposed cheat software, the vehicles wouldn't have passed certification.

There is certainly an opportunity for EPA to "grandfather" these. They already got their pound of flesh in the form of $billions$. I'd say better chance they'll just choose "not to enforce". CARB I bet will be another story.

Plenty of people running around without catalytic converters on their car. Technically it's a $10,000 fine by the EPA IIRC. Do they go hunting for you? No. If someone catches you, will they immediately slap you with a fine? Maybe. More likely they'll just insist you "fix it." But... the potential is there.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:02 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

From the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/vw/frequent-ques...gen-violations

Q: Will EPA take or confiscate my vehicle?

A: Absolutely not. EPA will not confiscate your vehicle or require you to stop driving. For more detail about choices and options for owners or lessees of diesel vehicles under the settlement visit VWCourtSettlement.com or Volkswagen Clean Air Act Partial Settlement.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

From the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/vw/frequent-ques...gen-violations

Q: Will EPA take or confiscate my vehicle?

A: Absolutely not. EPA will not confiscate your vehicle or require you to stop driving. For more detail about choices and options for owners or lessees of diesel vehicles under the settlement visit VWCourtSettlement.com or Volkswagen Clean Air Act Partial Settlement.
Yet.

Once the fix is released and a reasonable amount of time passes, I’d say all bets are off. It may come down to individual states choosing to enforce a-la CARB.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Have the 2nd round of Bosch payments to CD owners started? I'm still waiting so before I call the Bosch folks, I'd like to know if others are waiting too or receiving the check. And if received are they still 1/2 the amount, i.e. $750. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:57 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Yet.

Once the fix is released and a reasonable amount of time passes, I’d say all bets are off. It may come down to individual states choosing to enforce a-la CARB.
Keep up the guessing and speculation.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stronbl
Have the 2nd round of Bosch payments to CD owners started? I'm still waiting so before I call the Bosch folks, I'd like to know if others are waiting too or receiving the check. And if received are they still 1/2 the amount, i.e. $750. Thanks.
I just got the first 1/2 of the Bosch payment this past Saturday as I had the truck inspected 08/16.

The other 1/2 is going to come once the fix-if the fix is approved-is installed.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:42 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the first 1/2 of the Bosch payment this past Saturday as I had the truck inspected 08/16.

The other 1/2 is going to come once the fix-if the fix is approved-is installed.
How much have the odds decreased that we'll have a fix as the days tick up to the deadline? Again, can't we assume that a fix or at least a submitted fix proposal would of been leaked to the press if it was a slam dunk that a fix was simply a software and cat modification? Where are all the smart 1's from day 1 that said a fix was pritty much a given?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by billyg
How much have the odds decreased that we'll have a fix as the days tick up to the deadline? Again, can't we assume that a fix or at least a submitted fix proposal would of been leaked to the press if it was a slam dunk that a fix was simply a software and cat modification? Where are all the smart 1's from day 1 that said a fix was pritty much a given?
I'd expect them to use up all the available time. Even if they've had the fix designed and ready for months, they'll be using this time to validate, validate, validate.

I wouldn't expect a fix to be formally announced until the day of the deadline.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess we'll know in 6 days. If they announce the 2.2 fix, I'd say we'll get our announcement by the 8th. If not....

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue