Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017 | 06:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I dunno, I don't even really notice this car has much engine brake to think of anyway... I tow quite a bit and get minimal benefit from down shifting.
The adblu, is what it is, whatever. It's not terribly expensive... .004c per mile approx.
I don't hardly use sport mode, I didn't really notice the 'dynamic' shifting, maybe it won't hold gear as long which would be fine for me, the only thing I like about sport mode is the throttle mapping!
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
You mean original four year warranty (4/50K), now six (6/100K).

It's about what I expected. And to answer a previous post, I suspect the comparison numbers are baselined off the original spec/certification numbers, not real world, anecdotal numbers.

For example, Omni reports 22-23 mpg while pulling a load. I got that while loaded up and carrying 2 bikes on a hitch rack, but not pulling a mobile wind break, so either one of us is doing math wrong or these vehicles have quite a bit of variance in real world performance. Note: my numbers are based on hand calculations, not what the computer says. Oh, and I was averaging 80ish mph...
I think that the issue is speed. I've seen posts here of mid-30's on the highway. I've never gotten close to that. Best I've ever done (calculated MPG) is about 28.5 MPG. And we've taken our car on 2,500 mile round trips every year since two weeks after we picked it up. Now has just under 60k miles on it. I've been tracking the fuel usage (although I fell off for about a year in the middle) most of the life so I have very good data.

I don't think it's so much the car as the driving style. We get only slight differences in all around MPG (she's averaging about 25 MPG in daily usage) vs a long trip (28.5). But we haul ***....the speed limit in many stretches is 75 MPG so I set the cruise to a GPS verified 82 (85-86 indicated) and don't even worry about radar. At that speed, we're not setting any Economy records.
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

MPG is absolutely speed related. Over 75 starts to degrade a lot. I did a 400 mile trip and averaged 74mph according to OBC, with 28.7 MPG. Probably a bit lower than that really. I was doing 85-90 for a couple hundred miles
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I don't think it's so much the car as the driving style.
Yeap. My wife can do 90 down I95 and we'll end up with 32mpg. I drive 90 down the same stretch and end up with 30mpg.

so I set the cruise
I have noticed that, at least at higher speeds, cruise sucks for MPG. It seems to knock about 2mpg off at 70+.

At that speed, we're not setting any Economy records.
Cause 28mpg in a 5500lb vehicle doing 80+mph isn't something to be wowed by...
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:38 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
That's usually the definition of longblock. IMO I usually consider "longblock" to include the top end, too (heads/cams/etc.) If it's just the bottom end w/crank, rods, pistons, I've always considered that the "shortblock".
Ok, thanks. Makes sense and looks like great coverage. BTW, I love your avatar.
Off topic- Takes me back to my high school days where my buddy had a new Omni. Great riding car, but don't remember too much more about it. That car actually saved Chrysler- it was a sales hit in their darkest financials days. Then came the K-Car and the mini-van- the rest is history.
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
MPG is absolutely speed related. Over 75 starts to degrade a lot. I did a 400 mile trip and averaged 74mph according to OBC, with 28.7 MPG. Probably a bit lower than that really. I was doing 85-90 for a couple hundred miles
Yes, but not always. From what I can tell the sweet spot for my 13 seems to be about 70, but this was a from from gas station to gas station down I95 a couple months ago. As I recall (there is a diesel thread around here somewhere where I posted more details as I was actually doing the run) there were 3 stops (2 at rest stops and 1 down to surface streets to find food) and about 20 miles at the end running errands before I filled up with the MFD saying I had "---" miles left:
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:45 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by skiahh
You mean original four year warranty (4/50K), now six (6/100K).
Yes, that's what I meant. I confused the five of 50k with the four years.

Originally Posted by gnat
I didn't read the 2.2 doc, but with the exception of the engine braking it seems to fit about what most of us expected to see (e.g. reduced mpg, increased AdBlue, etc..). The shifting pattern changes don't even surprise me (though I would have expected them to the normal mode rather than Sport).

Yes I think PJ has the right of it. If you are going to let them "fix" your vehicle, plan it so that you do it as soon as possible after your current coverage runs out.
Fair enough.

As of now, that's my plan; wait until near the end of the extended factory warranty and have the fix applied.

$9600 is hard to turn down.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I dunno, I don't even really notice this car has much engine brake to think of anyway... I tow quite a bit and get minimal benefit from down shifting.
The adblu, is what it is, whatever. It's not terribly expensive... .004c per mile approx.
I don't hardly use sport mode, I didn't really notice the 'dynamic' shifting, maybe it won't hold gear as long which would be fine for me, the only thing I like about sport mode is the throttle mapping!
Perhaps I'm fixating on the engine braking too much. It's a rather nice benefit in steep, snowy and icy conditions where one tap of the brakes and the car is sideways. Something about engine braking really helps eliminate the need for applying the brakes.

I guess I'm envisioning the CD freewheeling now with the reduction of engine braking. Probably too much coffee today...
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Yeap. My wife can do 90 down I95 and we'll end up with 32mpg. I drive 90 down the same stretch and end up with 30mpg.

I have noticed that, at least at higher speeds, cruise sucks for MPG. It seems to knock about 2mpg off at 70+.

I just did a mini-autobahn last weekend- 650 mile ride everything from stop and go, XXX mph cruising and suburban driving. Four adults and light luggage. Lots of long uphills and downhills. It is so strong up hills you wind up gaining speed and passing everyone. This thing is so rock solid, comfortable and with that bunker of fuel, you stop when you want to fill it. We averaged 27mpg. I usually trade out of them in four years, but I've never owned anything like the CD.
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

LOL, I'm not complaining, I think it's awesome we can drive 1,200 miles with only two fill ups. But I'm just not getting what some people here get (low to mid 30's) hence the lack of a "record".
Old 10-26-2017 | 07:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So we've owned the CD a little over 4 years (end of July 2013) and in that time put just under 60k on it. That includes 5 long trips of 2500 miles. I probably won't be doing that trip next year. So in a trip year I'm averaging 15k per, maybe 12k next year.

If my math / spreadsheet is right, if I get the fix at the end of this year, I'll have about 62,000 miles on the CD. So then following will be my rough timetable:

Extended warranty will expire 7/30/2019
Extended emissions warranty will expire by mileage (110k miles) somewhere Q2 to Q3 of 2021.

By the time the extended warranty expires, I'll have had the car 6 years. The longest I've ever kept one was 6.5. But just for grins, say I keep it 8 years. That puts the extended emissions warranty right at that time as well.

I honestly can't imagine keeping the car 8 years. Maybe it will happen, but I doubt it. But either way, doing the fix pretty much now means by the time that extended warranty is up, I'll be REALLY ready to get rid of the car.

So doesn't make sense to wait, since our use is on the higher mileage side. So I'll take one for the team and get the fix done sooner rather than later.
Old 10-26-2017 | 07:40 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

we put about 20k/yr on ours. I'll do the fix as soon as a couple others report their results.
Old 10-26-2017 | 07:49 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Got my second half of Bosch settlement. today.
Old 10-26-2017 | 08:16 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Got my second half of Bosch settlement. today.
Nice. That means it is not fix dependent. Right?
Old 10-26-2017 | 09:18 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL, I'm not complaining, I think it's awesome we can drive 1,200 miles with only two fill ups. But I'm just not getting what some people here get (low to mid 30's) hence the lack of a "record".
Yeah I drive like a teenage hooligan so my DD norm is 24 on a good day

I can make it do better though
Old 10-26-2017 | 09:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

LOL my wife and I are the opposite. She's the lead foot. Last time she drove the CD a few days in a row she couldn't break 24. She doesn't get anywhere faster... she just likes the "go" pedal a lot. Since I drive 2000 miles a month, I'm much more conscious of how much fuel I use!

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Ok, thanks. Makes sense and looks like great coverage. BTW, I love your avatar.
Off topic- Takes me back to my high school days where my buddy had a new Omni. Great riding car, but don't remember too much more about it. That car actually saved Chrysler- it was a sales hit in their darkest financials days. Then came the K-Car and the mini-van- the rest is history.
It's how I got my start on this horrible addiction of cars. Several Omni GLH Turbos... broken much more often than not broken. Fun little sleepers.. follow more the old 911 methodology. Lightweight (2200-2300lbs) so even 250hp is plenty!

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue