Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
958.1 with the 2.1 generation 3.0L engine.
This sent me into a wormhole that lead to Stuttcars.com how would one know what they have?

Diesel (Turbo 3.0) 176kW 3.0V6 Audi
Diesel (Turbo 3.0) 180kW 3.0V6 Audi
Diesel S (Turbo 4.1) 4.1V8 Audi

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/958/
Old 10-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
If you're not getting it fixed, it means nothing for you in terms of compensation. That is, you won't get any. The previous owner probably already collected the 1st half and the 2nd half is contingent upon getting the fix (assuming it's approved).

Vehicle should already have had its warranty extended to 6 years/100K miles, so again, nothing for you to do there, either (except verify it, perhaps).
Regarding the 1st/2nd half, I registered and saw what the compensation would entail. It looks like its around $9500. In your experience (or anyone here for that matter), would that indicate the prior owners have not received compensation? I figured it would save a call in the morning if you knew. In addition, if I do opt for the fix, I assume I receive the contingent $500 each month till a fix or no fix is issued.

Thanks again
Old 10-02-2017, 01:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

If it’s showing 9500 the previous owner never registered. Bonus!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Assume a 958 diesel buy-back becomes reality.
If we want to keep our 958s what would be available for service and parts?
I have not been able to validate the claim that auto manufacturers are required by federal law to have parts available for any models they sold for the period of 10 years. If this is true, the next consideration is if it would apply to a car that had a buy back even though you did not participate?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

For any of those who may not have received any of the Bosch payout yet, I just got off the phone
with a Bosch representative and another batch of mailings/checks is going out this week.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:22 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
For any of those who may not have received any of the Bosch payout yet, I just got off the phone
with a Bosch representative and another batch of mailings/checks is going out this week.
Good to know ... thanks as I'm still waiting too.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Good to know ... thanks as I'm still waiting too.
You're welcome.

I was wondering as I know of another who had gone through their junk mail and had found the check torn in half in their garbage as it had gotten mixed in with the junk-mail. As the checks are only good for 90 days, I'd rather find out if it was mailed or not than risk losing out on $750.

I had found that my check had not been mailed out yet and to repeat, another batch of checks is on the way out this week. $750 on the way, yee-haw!

At least it was very easy to call the Bosch-line, get in touch with a person and have them look up the status of the payment.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:07 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

yes, fraud shall be punished but the extra pollutant, lets put in perspective, North Dakota oil producers flare/burn 350million cubic feet of gas per day. This is only ND oil and gas production, there is production in other states too.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=26632

The VW computer fix will make a real impact.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
yes, fraud shall be punished but the extra pollutant, lets put in perspective, North Dakota oil producers flare/burn 350million cubic feet of gas per day. This is only ND oil and gas production, there is production in other states too.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=26632

The VW computer fix will make a real impact.

Cool article. When you put the incremental emissions in proportion to other pollution sources, it is a drop in the ocean. This whole thing should have been resolved with a fine, grandfather all TDIs for life, and a suspension of selling non-compliant cars. The environmental damage of either scrapping or fixing all these cars is going to far outweigh just letting them run to the end of their economic life.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Cool article. When you put the incremental emissions in proportion to other pollution sources, it is a drop in the ocean. This whole thing should have been resolved with a fine, grandfather all TDIs for life, and a suspension of selling non-compliant cars. The environmental damage of either scrapping or fixing all these cars is going to far outweigh just letting them run to the end of their economic life.
Some of us already said as much in the "discussions" early on in this thread

Is what they are trying to accomplish the right thing? I think so. Are the attack the wrong source at this time (in relation to making an actual difference)? Absolutely. It is equally absolute that VW played some dirty pool and needed to be smacked around. This is, I believe, a case of "does the punishment fit the crime?" though.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Regarding the 1st/2nd half, I registered and saw what the compensation would entail. It looks like its around $9500. In your experience (or anyone here for that matter), would that indicate the prior owners have not received compensation? I figured it would save a call in the morning if you knew. In addition, if I do opt for the fix, I assume I receive the contingent $500 each month till a fix or no fix is issued.

Thanks again
$500/month is only for a max of 3 months and then only if VW requests extra time to get a fix approved.

Note, if CARB or EPA delays, there's no $500. And there may be reasons the court would grant VW an extention, too, that didn't trigger the $500.

So don't put that $500 in the bank.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
$500/month is only for a max of 3 months and then only if VW requests extra time to get a fix approved.

Note, if CARB or EPA delays, there's no $500. And there may be reasons the court would grant VW an extention, too, that didn't trigger the $500.

So don't put that $500 in the bank.
I remember reading about this. All I could think was wow, it sure seems they having nothing to lose by waiting. They can keep going back to the court and pleading that they thought they had a fix and the EPA kept rejecting it. And even if they had to pay the three months I think it goes back to the court. I'm guessing eventually the judge will have seen enough and force a buy back. Unless I missed it it seemed like there was no end to this unless the Judge comes back in 2018 and puts and end to it.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Oh, I don't know... $500 for ~67,000 vehicles is $33,500,000. Each month. For 3 months, that's just over $100 million. I think they have a lot to lose. And it doesn't go back to the court, it goes to owners.

And if they don't get a fix approved after the 90 days, it goes into buyback, so after paying out the $100 million, they're now buying back the vehicles at a cost of 3-5 billion dollars, depending on the average cost per vehicle.

The longer it takes, the more it costs so dragging it out isn't in VW's interest here.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^ Agree.

And remember the reason we are where we are (i.e. no immediate buy-back option like Gen 1 3.0L) is that both VW and EPA/CARB/PSC indicated to the court that a fix was quite possible, perhaps even probable and that VW should be given the time to make it happen. I seriously doubt the court will rubber stamp "I need more time please" unless the path to an approved emissions compliant repair is truly insight. Just my humble opinion.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

On a different subject matter, I need to bring the CD for a smog test in order to renew the registration here in CA. Kind of wasting my money, no? It is cheating anyway, so what's the point?

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue