Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:26 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Much appreciated, Jim. Thank you.

I did stumble upon the site and plugging in in the VIN, it is included in the warranty. Without registering, I can't tell if there's been any pay-out.
I'm not all that concerned about the pay-out. The hook was set before I dug into that issue. The vehicle is superb and a fitting replacement for my RRS.

My other concern is how much an issue it will be to get it re-registered and/or smogged here in Washington if/when the fix is released.
Do they do smog tests in WA? They don't up here in Whatcom County, at least.

Also, for the time being, the vehicle will pass the smog tests. They haven't disabled any of the "anti-test" devices, nor have I heard of any agency changing the testing procedures yet.

Perhaps after the fix is developed and applied you may have to prove it by either documentation or a smog test, but for now you're good on that front.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Much appreciated, Jim. Thank you.

I did stumble upon the site and plugging in in the VIN, it is included in the warranty. Without registering, I can't tell if there's been any pay-out.
I'm not all that concerned about the pay-out. The hook was set before I dug into that issue. The vehicle is superb and a fitting replacement for my RRS.

My other concern is how much an issue it will be to get it re-registered and/or smogged here in Washington if/when the fix is released.
Well I imagine that so long as you TAKE the fix you won't have problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if states refuse to renew registrations of vehicles NOT fixed after a certain period of time.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Do they do smog tests in WA? They don't up here in Whatcom County, at least.

Also, for the time being, the vehicle will pass the smog tests. They haven't disabled any of the "anti-test" devices, nor have I heard of any agency changing the testing procedures yet.

Perhaps after the fix is developed and applied you may have to prove it by either documentation or a smog test, but for now you're good on that front.
Based on some quick interwebbing, Clark County does require emissions testing. I suspect that since it's basically a suburb of Portland; it's required.

https://www.clark.wa.gov/auditor/emissions-testing

EDIT: Emissions testing only applies to 2008 and older vehicles. A CD would not need to be tested for emissions.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well I imagine that so long as you TAKE the fix you won't have problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if states refuse to renew registrations of vehicles NOT fixed after a certain period of time.
Yes, likely. Like most things, time will tell.

Last edited by Bobcat Sig; 10-12-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by DNorby
I bought a 2013 Cayenne diesel last November. I paid $34k out the door from a Porsche dealer. Mine is about average for options and it had 70k miles. I think it has been a wonderful car and I too did not buy it planning on getting any settlement money. I have received about $2,500 from the 1st payments from both Bosch and Porsche (the check was from Audi). I am curious about the fix and how it might alter the performance. Someone mention that it would lose about 2 mpg. If the fix does not affect the performance and I lose mpg then it would make sense to have the fix performed (financially). I probably use about 500 gallons of diesel per year and losing 2 mpg in city driving of 23 mpg comes out to less than 50 gallons lost per year. At $2.35 per gallon for diesel that will cost me about $120 a year. $2,500/120 = about a 21 year payback.
That seems to be the prevailing thought the further I dig into the issue. if that's in fact the case, I'm happy to retain performance if it's only at a slight fuel economy hit. Even I'm only seeing a post-fix 25mpg - that's still really good and far better than what I'm getting with my RRS.

I'm crossing my fingers for that type of fix.

Based on some quick interwebbing, Clark County does require emissions testing. I suspect that since it's basically a suburb of Portland; it's required.

https://www.clark.wa.gov/auditor/emissions-testing
I take that back. Emissions is only required for cars 2008 and older. A 2014 CD would not need to tested. DERP
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing references to all of the CD's getting a 6/100 extension to the factory warranty, but the VW Settlement site just talks about a bridge warranty- can anyone clarify how/where the 6/100 extension comes in? I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 that is still under the original factory warranty, and trying to figure out what kind of coverage I'm going to end up with.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by m0ther
I keep seeing references to all of the CD's getting a 6/100 extension to the factory warranty, but the VW Settlement site just talks about a bridge warranty- can anyone clarify how/where the 6/100 extension comes in? I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 that is still under the original factory warranty, and trying to figure out what kind of coverage I'm going to end up with.
I'm glad you asked. I've seen the same and I'm also curious for similar reasons.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by m0ther
That isn't quite right. What they did was give us CPO coverage, which is 6yr/100k, not adding 6yr/100k on top of the factory. The dealer system will show the car's warranty as 6/100.

The bridge is to cover to 125k prior to the fix being released, I think... but I admit to not paying much attention to that part of it.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by booch
That isn't quite right. What they did was give us CPO coverage, which is 6yr/100k, not adding 6yr/100k on top of the factory. The dealer system will show the car's warranty as 6/100.

The bridge is to cover to 125k prior to the fix being released, I think... but I admit to not paying much attention to that part of it.
Thanks for the clarity. Does this apply to all CDs or is only something for original owners or those that bought a CPO vehicle?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

There are windows in which the prior owner could have registered. For my recent acquisition, the first owner sold mid 2017 and never registered for either the Bosch or VW (if you register VW, you get put into Bosch automatically). As such, the first owner is out of luck as they had to register before the year started Jan 31, 2017. This is for a 14’. Of which, I’m fairly lucky.

Of note, if you peek into the TDI forums, there are private owners now applying for Dealer Licenses and picking up Gen 2’s (all three). Hoping to flip along with getting reimbursed for the minimum $9+ grand or the bigger buy back.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Thanks for the clarity. Does this apply to all CDs or is only something for original owners or those that bought a CPO vehicle?
All vehicles. Now those bought prior with the CPO coverage, can get reimbursed for that as well as per the settlement FAQs.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
All vehicles. Now those bought prior with the CPO coverage, can get reimbursed for that as well as per the settlement FAQs.
That's great news!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Believe CPO cars prior to news breaking has 2 additional years and 25K on top of the 7yr/100K miles.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
Believe CPO cars prior to news breaking has 2 additional years and 25K on top of the 7yr/100K miles.
Correct and that’s if they keep the vehicle. Otherwise, they’ll get that portion back if they CPO’d, not dealer as I understand.

Sidenote, BobCat look into the VW FAQs as it gives some specific info for Two or more owner cars.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be most welcome news, thanks!

Correct and that’s if they keep the vehicle. Otherwise, they’ll get that portion back if they CPO’d, not dealer as I understand.

Sidenote, BobCat look into the VW FAQs as it gives some specific info for Two or more owner cars.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding the info on that site. Then again I can't find where the 6/100k warranty extension is mentioned on there either!

However based on reading this thread and others, I'm thinking one of the following scenarios will happen after I buy this 1-owner off lease 2015 CD:

If the former lessee didn't register, it's too late now (past the deadline) and I'll get the full amounts as if I was the only owner. (Minimum of $11,633 compliant / $17,899 approved mod / $76,150 buyback between VAG and Bosch)
If the former lessee registered, and there is a compliant repair, they'll end up with $1375, and I'll lose out on $1750 compared to an original owner- I'll get $1000 less from whatever VAG settlement money I am owed, and I'll only get $750 from Bosch. So I'd get a little over $8k, minimum
If the former lessee registered, and there is an approved modification, they'll end up with at least $3326 (half of minimum +$375 from Bosch), and I'll get $3,701 less than otherwise, so about $13k, minimum
If the former lessee registered, and there is a buyback, they'll end up with at least $3326 , and at the low end I'll get $3,701 less, which would be a minimum of $71,949.

And an extra 2 years of warranty coverage. (Plus up to $1,500 if they delay the 3 months on their dime)

Last edited by m0ther; 10-12-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: lessee not owner
Old 10-13-2017, 03:13 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

6/100 wasn't part of the settlement, so you won't find it there. It was something Porsche did as a customer satisfaction effort shortly after it was announced that Cayennes were, indeed, impacted by the cheating.

They took a unilateral action (that is, no action by owners needed) to extend the original warranty from 4/50 to 6/100. For those with CPOs, I think they bumped to 8/125K or something like that (I don't have the CPO, so didn't pay close attention to that).

As for the amounts you'll get, I'd approach it like this. Original owners registered and will get their share. You're buying late so unsure of your status and may get nothing of the settlement. Price your offer accordingly and anything you may get down the road is a bonus.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue