Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

So... the lawyers get their $$$, the Feds get their $$$, California gets their $$$ and the owners get screwed...
Old 12-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Thursday next date for details.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Mallens
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading the doc now, saw that it talked about extended warranty issue for fixes... wonder if that was what prompted Porsche to give us owners the extended warranty... maybe they figured they would have to do it anyway, so why not get some extra mileage out of it.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:36 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup Thursday...this sounded to fishy too just leave us poor saps out:

"Breyer said owners of 3.0-liter vehicles would receive "substantial compensation" for getting their vehicles fixed or repaired but said there were some remaining issues to be resolved, and set a another hearing for Thursday for an update."
Old 12-20-2016, 05:36 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot60
So... the lawyers get their $$$, the Feds get their $$$, California gets their $$$ and the owners get screwed...
And we expected a different result out of this mess?

I'm shocked the 2.0l owners made out as well as they did.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:49 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot60
And don't forget the Dealers got theirs (at least VWs).

Where are the Audi folks, why aren't they concerned? There are a lot of 2nd Gen Q7s, Q5s, A6s etc.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:52 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallens
Reading the doc now, saw that it talked about extended warranty issue for fixes... wonder if that was what prompted Porsche to give us owners the extended warranty... maybe they figured they would have to do it anyway, so why not get some extra mileage out of it.
Hey, works for me. Warranty through 2020, "significant compensation" and a fix by May 2020 ("Volkswagen must meet the 85 percent recall rate for the generation 1 affected 3.0 liter vehicles by November 30, 2019, and the generation 2 affected 3.0 liter vehicles by May 31, 2020.").

And then a buyback if they can't get a fix established.

So... I get to keep my vehicle as-is through the warranty period (if they don't come up with a fix), get some cash and then maybe the option to sell it back?

Depending on the definition of "significant", it might be OK.

(I'm trying to look for silver linings here, rather than going negative! )
Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 PM
Mallens
Advanced

Well, the warranty post fix is defined by 18 months / 18,000 miles - which is know as the reoffer period.

My suggestion is to take the money and run as soon as it is available.

5.3.2 Warranty Remedies. In addition to any protections provided by law (including
those referenced in subparagraph 5.3.3 below), Settling Defendants must reoffer and provide a
Buyback or Lease Termination to any Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee of a Modified Vehicle
in the event that, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles following the completion of the
Approved Emissions Modification (the “Reoffer Period”), Settling Defendants fail to repair or
remedy a confirmed mechanical failure or malfunction covered by the Warranty and associated
with the Approved Emissions Modification (a “Warrantable Failure”) after the Eligible Owner or
Eligible Lessee physically presents the Modified Vehicle to a dealer for repair of the Warrantable
Failure; and (1) the Warrantable Failure is unable to be remedied after making four separate
service visits for the same Warrantable Failure during the Reoffer Period; or (2) the Modified
Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out of service due to the Warrantable Failure for a
cumulative total of 30 Days during the Reoffer Period.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
Hey, works for me. Warranty through 2020, "significant compensation" and a fix by May 2020 ("Volkswagen must meet the 85 percent recall rate for the generation 1 affected 3.0 liter vehicles by November 30, 2019, and the generation 2 affected 3.0 liter vehicles by May 31, 2020.").

So... I get to keep my vehicle as-is through the warranty period (if they don't come up with a fix), get some cash and then maybe the option to sell it back?

Where did you see those target dates? I missed those....
Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Mallens
Advanced

In the decent decree
Old 12-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, the warranty post fix is defined by 18 months / 18,000 miles - which is know as the reoffer period.

My suggestion is to take the money and run as soon as it is available.

5.3.2 Warranty Remedies. In addition to any protections provided by law (including
those referenced in subparagraph 5.3.3 below), Settling Defendants must reoffer and provide a
Buyback or Lease Termination to any Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee of a Modified Vehicle
in the event that, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles following the completion of the
Approved Emissions Modification (the “Reoffer Period”), Settling Defendants fail to repair or
remedy a confirmed mechanical failure or malfunction covered by the Warranty and associated
with the Approved Emissions Modification (a “Warrantable Failure”) after the Eligible Owner or
Eligible Lessee physically presents the Modified Vehicle to a dealer for repair of the Warrantable
Failure; and (1) the Warrantable Failure is unable to be remedied after making four separate
service visits for the same Warrantable Failure during the Reoffer Period; or (2) the Modified
Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out of service due to the Warrantable Failure for a
cumulative total of 30 Days during the Reoffer Period.
That's warranty post-fix.

If you were responding to skiahh, I believe he's discussing the pre-fix warranty, which we have had extended to 6 years, 100k miles on new cars, and to 8 years, 120k miles for those who purchased CPO cars (I believe that's how the CPO worked..)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Mallens
Advanced

I believe they are related. It won't matter about the extended warranty that Porsche gave us, they were going to have to do it anyway. What I posted was after the fix, there is a fix related warranty that ties into the buyback REOFFER Period (post fix).
Old 12-20-2016, 06:11 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh

What the F?! I need a Mandarin interpreter to understand all this crap!

Last edited by billyg; 12-20-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Mallens
Advanced

OK - Deal breaker for me: I won't accept the fix!!!

Great, you get a free bumper sticker telling the world you drive an almost compliant VW/Audi/Porsche product.

3.1.6 Require Settling Defendants to permanently affix the labels described in
this subparagraph 3.1.6, and in the form approved by EPA/CARB, to each and every
Modified Vehicle.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK - Deal breaker for me: I won't accept the fix!!!

3.1.6 Require Settling Defendants to permanently affix the labels described in
this subparagraph 3.1.6, and in the form approved by EPA/CARB, to each and every
Modified Vehicle.
Curious as to why affixing labels would be a deal breaker for you.

(The sticker is to go under the hood. Not on the outside of the car).

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue