Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Electric vehicles are great if you live in a metro area, but in Texas with the distances between places they are not practical or even logical. The big wall to climb is battery technology is still years away from supporting electric cars that can go any distance, not have long re-charge time and don't sacrifice useful load for battery weight and size. I would guess that practical electric cars are at least 10-20 plus years down the road. Examples the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid will go 19 miles on the electric motor and then the gas engine takes over burning Hi Test and getting in the low 20's fuel mileage. The Tesla is a joke if you want to go cross country in a reasonable length of time. Of course then their is the political reason for pushing electric cars ... control free movement of the populace.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne

You.are.the.man

Enjoy your new ride!!!
thanks Man
Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding Porsche (and VAG) electrics and hybrids, recall this:

Before VW "admitted" a cheat device, CARB and then EPA's first "shot across their bow" was that if VAG abandoned diesels and moved to electric, that would be partial contrition for killing millions of people around the World. (Unsubstantiated of course but popular posturing for Legislators who are even less knowledgeable).

Also included in this salvo was the carrot that, if VAG were to make substantial contributions to renewables and their networks in CA (and maybe even the greater U.S. area), then they might just avoid further wrath.

VAG immediately began offering incentives for diesel owners and lessees to trade into hybrids - many owners did.

Subsequently VAG has made multiple announcements, and Auto Show intros and concept cars for full electric vehicles. Many had been in the works awaiting battery technology to catch up.

Batteries aren't quite here yet, but technologies are promising. Again, If the Regulators would write clear regs and goals, then the Industry will achieve them. Whether it be Electric, gas or diesel.
The results may not be affordable, which will increase the age of the Fleet and delay effectiveness of the new tech.

Since the Concern of the Day is CO2 emissions, it seems silly to abandon Diesels because of their clear advantage in the CO2 arena.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Electric vehicles are great if you live in a metro area, but in Texas with the distances between places they are not practical or even logical. The big wall to climb is battery technology is still years away from supporting electric cars that can go any distance, not have long re-charge time and don't sacrifice useful load for battery weight and size. I would guess that practical electric cars are at least 10-20 plus years down the road. Examples the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid will go 19 miles on the electric motor and then the gas engine takes over burning Hi Test and getting in the low 20's fuel mileage. The Tesla is a joke if you want to go cross country in a reasonable length of time. Of course then their is the political reason for pushing electric cars ... control free movement of the populace.
I think in most of the U.S., the distances are too great for pure Electrics to work. But the EPA has given them (and hybrids) an embarrassingly high "fuel economy rating" multiple, so many are trapped into consuming large amounts of energy with their new cars, just to get around.

In addition, there is increasing awareness at the EPA (not CARB yet) that the electricity generation is just displaced into more remote (out-of-State for CARB) areas. (Coal-fired, mostly.) Consumption may be downtown, but generation is still somewhere, polluting.
Renewables cannot replace fossil fuels for Base Loads for decades - probably not this Century.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Just a FWIW - the Chebby Bolt now claims a 200 mile range.. don't know what the disclaimers for that range are (all downhill?) but it does show that "range anxiety" is being seen as a problem to be addressed by the manufacturers.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just a FWIW - the Chebby Bolt now claims a 200 mile range.. don't know what the disclaimers for that range are (all downhill?) but it does show that "range anxiety" is being seen as a problem to be addressed by the manufacturers.
Capacities are indeed getting better (Tesla has been over 200 for some time now), but charging/infrastructure hasn't caught up yet.

In our CDs we can do a road trip and get 700+ miles out of a single tank, then it takes ~5 minutes to refill and get back on your way. We also have a ready supply of places to fill up.

While the gas variants of the P!g don't look as good on the distance between fills, the additional time for extra stops still doesn't add up to near what it would take to charge a car.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

and what they don't count in praising the efficiency of the electric cars is the re-charging with electricity gained from coal burning power plants that emit CO2 ... oh will the jury please disregard the factual statement of the witness
Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
and what they don't count in praising the efficiency of the electric cars is the re-charging with electricity gained from coal burning power plants that emit CO2 ... oh will the jury please disregard the factual statement of the witness
Or the strip mining for the lithium. Or the mess that is involved in recycling and disposing of the batteries.

But diesel is evil!

What I would actually like to see is a diesel Hybrid. The two are perfect for one another actually.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:27 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Gnat, agree. I remember when the hybrid was first being discussed it was a diesel running a generator that charged a battery. I don't think todays traditional hybrid approach looked good 'back when' based on non-complimentary torque. I'm sure things are smarter now than 20 years ago.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Capacities are indeed getting better (Tesla has been over 200 for some time now), but charging/infrastructure hasn't caught up yet.

In our CDs we can do a road trip and get 700+ miles out of a single tank, then it takes ~5 minutes to refill and get back on your way. We also have a ready supply of places to fill up.

While the gas variants of the P!g don't look as good on the distance between fills, the additional time for extra stops still doesn't add up to near what it would take to charge a car.
Tesla claims over 300 miles for a couple of models. Recharge is at least an hour, though.

Oh, but you can get the "Bio Weapon Defense" option, too. HEPA filtering and positive cabin air pressure to prevent intrusion. Who could resist that?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW settles with dealers to buy back their cars. Pays 1.2 billion.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ine&yptr=yahoo

CD owners get nothing except the chance of being a beta tester for their non compliant vehicles. Hobson's choice, by VW : "either I screw you or ....I screw you"
Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
VW settles with dealers to buy back their cars. Pays 1.2 billion.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ine&yptr=yahoo

CD owners get nothing except the chance of being a beta tester for their non compliant vehicles. Hobson's choice, either I screw you or ....I screw you
This has nothing to do with potential settlements with owners. We know that timeframe from the judge. Let it play out.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Tesla claims over 300 miles for a couple of models. Recharge is at least an hour, though.

Oh, but you can get the "Bio Weapon Defense" option, too. HEPA filtering and positive cabin air pressure to prevent intrusion. Who could resist that?
I just love the Ludicrous Speed button!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
This has nothing to do with potential settlements with owners. We know that timeframe from the judge. Let it play out.
Do we have a choice? No....so?

We have been waiting for almost a year now. And yes the haphazard fix they proposed in the prior court date delayed this, while exposing their hand that they do not intend to offer a buyback.

Then your only options is "the fix", which means exactly what I said in the prior post, since you actually have no option.

But kudos to Porsche though, they were very communicative so far......
Old 10-01-2016, 12:28 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat

Don't we have about 200 miles of range when our low fuel light comes on??
Full disclosure- I've got a Tesla Model 3 on reserve- I think we can use an all wheel drive short range electric car in our fleet. No illusions of thinking about it as a long distance car.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue