Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:59 AM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
While I agree with most of your commentary, I disagree with your conclusion.

Regardless of intent, the impact to the owners is the same, reduced values. Furthermore, the 2.0l scandal clearly tarnished the sole TDI line and this was evident even before the 3.0 cars were drug into the mess. Prices weren't showing much impact, but public opinion was clearly TDI = bad and they didn't want to quibble over the number of liters.

The real question that remains is if there is a fix and what its impact will be. If, like the 2.0, it is too extreme and will have significant impact to the owners, then a buyback is clearly warranted. If it has minimal impact, then a buyback probably isn't warranted and instead some other commiserate compensation on top of the "loss of value" compensation makes more sense. If they claim the fix will have no impact, I'm not going to believe them without independently verified numbers.
I don't believe that the compensation package for the 2.0Ls is based on diminished value. The buyback baseline amounts were.

I have no idea what they will do for the 3.0ls but as I am sure you can tell I don't believe it will be similar. Plus I am pretty confident that VW will be doing everything they possibly can to NOT buy back the 3.0Ls. (Edit: add -) at 2015 retail prices. Sure they will take them back but not at nearly the same windfall of the 2.0s.

Last edited by ddeliber; 12-16-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docdent
If this was true then why has it taken over a year to clear this up. I believe VW cheated, denied everything and were caught. Prisons are full of people who claim they were innocent.
I believe VW cheated too, with all of their diesels. I just don't believe the 2 cases are as related as people think.

It is taking so long because VW is denying most if not all of the accusations on the 3.0s. This was not the case for the 2.0s and look how long that took.

The EPA/CARB wants their pound of flesh (well, perhaps ton is more appropriate) and VW is not bending over and grabbing their ankles for them.

Imagine if you were one of the current VW execs for a minute... the story of: "Sure we'll take it in the backside for the 2.0s but no way are we doing the same for the 3.0s" to me seems reasonable from their perspective. They sure look to be sticking to their story of it only being a documentation error and software issue, and the plaintiffs haven't been able to prove otherwise. I don't see VW or CARB changing their position so it will be up to whether the EPA compromises or to the courts and possibly even the government to step in to help push a settlement.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by docdent
If this was true then why has it taken over a year to clear this up. I believe VW cheated, denied everything and were caught. Prisons are full of people who claim they were innocent.
Because VAG, CARB/EPA, and the judge decided to resolve the 2.0 issue first since it represented a bigger problem.

Additionally, CARB and EPA have a history of inappropriate reactions to when they've been made to look the fool. So even if it is a simple fix or just documentation changes, they will drag it out to get more out of VAG and make themselves look better to the public.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:38 PM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by visitador
It is so funny that all these new posters are regurgitating the same arguments over and over again. There has been an economic impact on the owners by willfully manipulating software to go around the emissions tests. Even this thread shows new owners who took advantage of the issues. We discuss the 2.0 settlements because that is the only guiding examples we got. If things were as simple as "oops, we made an honest mistake," things would have been resolved eons ago
I am not a new poster. I have been here from the beginning.

Where do you see VW admitting to anything more than I stated? If I am wrong, I'll admit it, I simply haven't seen anything there. The duration of the "temperature conditioning mode" being the same as the duration of the test is the only thing that I have seen that speaks to intent. I am pretty confident that we would have heard by now if there was any type of admission/decision here. Because of this, I don't see VW changing their position.

Of course I understand why everyone is discussing the 2.0 settlements. I just don't believe they should be compared in the way that they have been recently. Passat's get $10k so Cayennes should get $15k or whatever is not appropriate because the "crime" is different. Unless the plaintiffs can come up with something better and move VW off their position or prove something, the compensation is going to be MUCH less. AND I don't believe anyone should be surprised as the main claims and positions have not changed.

I am also no buying the "things would have been resolved eons ago" bit. VW is denying much if not most/all of the culpability here. That will always take longer to resolve especially if you have political crap on the plaintiffs side.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Because VAG, CARB/EPA, and the judge decided to resolve the 2.0 issue first since it represented a bigger problem.

Additionally, CARB and EPA have a history of inappropriate reactions to when they've been made to look the fool. So even if it is a simple fix or just documentation changes, they will drag it out to get more out of VAG and make themselves look better to the public.
Agreed!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

We shall see...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/plan-for...dge-93578.html
Old 12-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by SignDoc
Nothing new there unfortunately.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:38 PM
WAMIII
AutoX

From Tourag German Twitter post
"Zuständiger Richter in San Francisco vertagt die Anhörung in Sachen VW-Diesel-Manipulation auf 23 Uhr dt. Zeit"

English Judge in San Francisco postponed the hearing on VW Diesel manipulation at 11 pm
Old 12-16-2016, 02:41 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Nothing new there unfortunately.
He was meeting with TRUMP before.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:46 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

They would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids!!!
If you're quoting Scooby Doo, it's meddling not pesky.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:27 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The hearing was postponed from 1 to 5 PM but this article should be good info.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...-idUSKBN1452F0

Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay just over $200 million to offset emissions from about 80,000 3.0 liter diesel U.S. vehicles, a person briefed on the settlement told Reuters.

The agreement is expected to be announced as early as Friday, and is in addition to $2.7 billion that VW previously agreed to pay to offset emissions from about 475,000 2.0 liter diesel vehicles. U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer on Friday delayed a hearing until later in the day so negotiations can continue over reaching a final resolution on the 3.0 liter vehicles.

A sticking point over a comprehensive deal has been how much VW will agree to offer owners in compensation for getting vehicles repaired or selling them back. Talks among Volkswagen, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and lawyers for the suing owners have gone on for weeks.

Reuters reported on Nov. 15 that Volkswagen had reached agreement with U.S. regulators for a mix of buybacks and fixes for the 80,000 polluting Audi, Porsche and VW 3.0-liter vehicles. The agreement includes a buy-back offer for about 20,000 older Audi and VW SUVs and a software fix for 60,000 newer Porsche, Audi and VW cars and SUVs, the sources said.

A separate, more complex fix is expected to be offered for the older vehicles.

With the $200 million to offset 3.0 liter emissions, Volkswagen has agreed to spend up to $16.7 billion to resolve U.S. diesel emissions cheating allegations. Volkswagen is also expected to face billions in fines as part of a separate potential settlement with the Justice Department to resolve an ongoing criminal investigation and a civil suit alleging civil violations of the Clean Air Act.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Chris Reese and Dan Grebler)
Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

So 2pm Pacific
Old 12-16-2016, 03:57 PM
billyg
Advanced

So this appears to be a fix, the already extended warranty, and enough $ for all of us to buy a Porsche neck tie.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Wow.

I just can't see myself feeling "slighted" over the whole debacle. *shrug* That's not to say I'm "oblivious" to design errors... I avoided the M9x series because of it (my 06 Cayman is a 9A1 conversion). Nobody is perfect, car manufacturers included. I just don't care about this "scandal" above and beyond my background in automotive engineering and learning "how they did it".
Perhaps you don't feel slighted because you purchased taking advantage of the reduced value of the vehicles. Some of us that paid north of $80k feel really slighted knowing the vehicle is worth about half a year and a half later.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by billyg
So this appears to be a fix, the already extended warranty, and enough $ for all of us to buy a Porsche neck tie.
I wouldn't say that at all...there seems to be concern over the impact of the fix. And the government / attorneys want owners to have a choice.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue