Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:21 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh

And, as has been noted, a buyback wouldn't be wholesale. If that were the case, you'd be rightfully PO'd, too.

Doesn't make me any happier, but the bottom line is that if they fix my car with no impact to performance or efficiency (which I am very doubtful about), cover any depreciation and some compensation, then that compensation amount is, really "found money". Plus we have an extra two years on the warranty.

I think we have to realize and accept that a buyback isn't going to be part of this settlement.
A couple of comments:
1. I took SignDoc's term of "wholesale" as figurative or a general buyback, not literal with the buyback pricing.
2. It is not realistic to change a few lines of code to change the combustion physics of a diesel engine, cleaning the exhaust and not impacting fuel consumption and power output. If that were the case, they would have kept working at it after the first cheat devices. Maybe they would have sent out 1 or 2 model years with the cheat devices, then released a fully compliant engine. It only makes sense (at least to me) is that a fully compliant TDI runs like a turd (trust me, I hope I'm wrong).

We should expect any "fixed" engines to run differently, and not to our advantage. We'll likely use more DEF, increased duty cycle on the emission components, more fuel use and have less power. We can reasonably argue that if that configuration was in place during our test drives, we would NOT have selected to purchase the Diesel. We should demand proof that the mods don't affect performance or durability.

So, unless the V-6 only requires a very slight adjustment to meet a corner of the regulations- expect your CD to run differently. For that reason, we should have a right to refuse the fix and have a buyback as an option.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

So any bets that tomorrow morning's conference is going to be re-scheduled due to "substantial progress?"
Old 12-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
A couple of comments:
1. I took SignDoc's term of "wholesale" as figurative or a general buyback, not literal with the buyback pricing.
2. It is not realistic to change a few lines of code to change the combustion physics of a diesel engine, cleaning the exhaust and not impacting fuel consumption and power output. If that were the case, they would have kept working at it after the first cheat devices. Maybe they would have sent out 1 or 2 model years with the cheat devices, then released a fully compliant engine. It only makes sense (at least to me) is that a fully compliant TDI runs like a turd (trust me, I hope I'm wrong).
<snip>
So, unless the V-6 only requires a very slight adjustment to meet a corner of the regulations- expect your CD to run differently. For that reason, we should have a right to refuse the fix and have a buyback as an option.
I agree with your interpretation of "wholesale," I took it as meaning a "wholesale lot."

But, don't forget that these engines don't exceed any written emission standards - the only violation here is that VW didn't certify their in-house test methods properly. Technically, we may already be driving "fully compliant" diesels.

So, as far as meeting some Standard - that's yet to be "negotiated," and to me, defining a Standard is a big sticking point in those negotiations.
Also of course, are mitigating "damage to the environment," and compensation to owners (if there is determination that we need compensation).

Having said that, when it gets down to the nitty gritty, the Regulators are unlikely to accept any documentation that VW SHOULD have provided, eliminating their "protect the engine" or other time-outs.

Based on reports that the engines emitted less when cool, it leads me to think they will need to introduce more EGR, to reduce combustion temperatures. That will reduce performance and mileage, as well as increasing wear on the engine. Please say it isn't so.....
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
I agree with your interpretation of "wholesale," I took it as meaning a "wholesale lot."

But, don't forget that these engines don't exceed any written emission standards - the only violation here is that VW didn't certify their in-house test methods properly. Technically, we may already be driving "fully compliant" diesels.

So, as far as meeting some Standard - that's yet to be "negotiated," and to me, defining a Standard is a big sticking point in those negotiations.
Also of course, are mitigating "damage to the environment," and compensation to owners (if there is determination that we need compensation).

Having said that, when it gets down to the nitty gritty, the Regulators are unlikely to accept any documentation that VW SHOULD have provided, eliminating their "protect the engine" or other time-outs.

Based on reports that the engines emitted less when cool, it leads me to think they will need to introduce more EGR, to reduce combustion temperatures. That will reduce performance and mileage, as well as increasing wear on the engine. Please say it isn't so.....
Well, now I'm completely confused. How can you certify an engine if you don't know what limits you need to stay under? I think we agree, changing lines of code ain't gonna make this story go away.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:36 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
A couple of comments:

We should expect any "fixed" engines to run differently, and not to our advantage. We'll likely use more DEF, increased duty cycle on the emission components, more fuel use and have less power. We can reasonably argue that if that configuration was in place during our test drives, we would NOT have selected to purchase the Diesel. We should demand proof that the mods don't affect performance or durability.

I don't disagree with you, especially on a fix changing the way our engines run. And if that's the case, and it doesn't come with a significant cash offset to that loss of performance, then I think most will opt out of the class. Pretty sure I will, because as you said, it would have changed our purchase equation.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Is that $1Billion for us?
http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswag...sts-1482114058
Old 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Yes, the article is estimating the costs of the US 3.0 liter deal.

No new news in this article. Just rehash of the current speculation / rumors:

- Buyback on the 20k older 3 liter cars
- Fix only on the newer cars
- Compensation for owners of both sets of vehicles.

Nothing new. We shall see today.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:06 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Final continuance till 11am Pacific tomorrow, according to twitter account of Patrick McGee
Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Final continuance till 11am Pacific tomorrow, according to twitter account of Patrick McGee

I'll hold my breath...
Old 12-19-2016, 12:42 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like our Canadian friends have a deal on their Cayennes

The deal allows owners to sell their vehicles back to Volkswagen Canada Inc., trade them in for new vehicles or have them repaired.

Canadian owners of affected Volkswagen vehicles, which also include cars and crossovers produced by the auto maker’s luxury Audi and Porsche brands, have been clamouring for the federal government to take action–especially after Volkswagen Canada said in April that actions taken by its U.S. counterpart would be mirrored in Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//repo...click=sf_globe
Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 PM
TXCayenne
Track Day

Default Re: CPO and Warranty extension for Diesel

So, I went to dealer today and have attached a screenshot on the duration of my CD's warranty:

New Vehicle Warranty- Original 4 years (2014-2018)

Porsche Approved Warranty- 2 More Years (2018-2020)

Porsche Approved Warranty Extension- (2020-2022)

When Porsche announced/sent letter that they were offering the two additional years for diesel owners, I contacted PCNA directly to see what arrangement would be made for those that already purchased the two years warranty prior to the diesel issue. I argued that I had already pre-paid for something that Porsche was now offering for no charge. At that time the customer service folks in Atlanta told me that I would get additional warranty extension (+two more years) to take me out for a total of 8 years as shown above. They also told me it was up to 125,000 miles.

I have not received any letter from PCNA on this additional 2 years extension, but suspect that this is being handled only when the customer calls PCNA directly. I know that Porsche never initiated contact with me in regards how to reconcile that the fact that I had already paid for the warranty coverage that they (Porsche) was now offering for free to all CD owners.

Screenshot Porsche CD.pdf
Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

It would be quite interesting if Canadian CDs are subject to a buyback but US CDs are not
Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/l...dline-44282800

Just in , 'final deadline' Tuesday
Old 12-19-2016, 01:06 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I said shortly after the 2.0l decision that I didn't expect the 3.0l issue to be settled before 1/1/17. They certainly are dragging it out to the end here...
Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by gnat
I said shortly after the 2.0l decision that I didn't expect the 3.0l issue to be settled before 1/1/17. They certainly are dragging it out to the end here...
Funny you mention this, I was recalling you saying this way back just this morning. Looks like you were right. I just don't know why they have this buttoned up in Canada based on the 2.0L model and ours are still unresolved. I don't think this Judge is helping with this, it's almost comical now.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue