Sponsored by:

997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 02:58 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
What is everyone's thoughts on auction listing timing? I have my 2011 997.2 6-speed listed for sale here. I'm also considering BaT, but I know that process can take 4-5+ weeks (also heard 8 weeks recently). Assuming I start the application process now, that would put my auction into US Thanksgiving/late fall/early winter time of year. People are buying year round, but I feel like Spring/Summer is more optimal driving season. Should I wait until early Spring to try BaT?
I was able to get my car live within 3 weeks from first contacting BAT...
Old 10-20-2021, 03:10 PM
Groach
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
What is everyone's thoughts on auction listing timing? I have my 2011 997.2 6-speed listed for sale here. I'm also considering BaT, but I know that process can take 4-5+ weeks (also heard 8 weeks recently). Assuming I start the application process now, that would put my auction into US Thanksgiving/late fall/early winter time of year. People are buying year round, but I feel like Spring/Summer is more optimal driving season. Should I wait until early Spring to try BaT?
Beautiful and rare car! I also have a Platinum Silver Metallic 2012 manual coupe. I love the color in different lights.
I also just sold my 997.1 TT on BaT on 9/24/21 for $135k. It took mine about six weeks to go live AFTER approval….so about eight weeks total.
I’m no expert, but my thoughts:
1. Prices can be highly varied on BAT! A TT sold last week with better options than mine, 6k more miles, a fender repaint that did not show on CarFax…for $97k. $38,000 less than mine!!
2. Pay for professional pictures, and be prepared to give him some guidance. Look at my listing compared to others. Pictures matter. Also being an informed and responsive seller, but it sounds like you have that covered.
3. The only recent 997.2 TT manual coupes to sell on BaT recently (actually one is still live) were in Canada and have associated costs in shipping and fees that rightly kept their prices down. I would worry buyers will just glance at those lower prices and not feel comfortable exceeding that on your car.
4. Your carbon seats are awesome…but the factory matching Grey ones would look better and this car is very collectible. Original rules. And some don’t like Stone Grey and the black seats make it stand out more.
5. Have a detailed intelligent response to the inevitable comment about the DME. See the response in my sale. You are right about your DME, it is no problem. But one comment will scare some buyers away (and you need at least two for a great price). The uninformed just need to hear an expert (or someone who sounds like they know what they’re talking about) say it’s ok.
6. I’m not sure about winter vs spring sale prices, but with the widely varying prices on these cars, there definitely seems to be some luck involved with the timing.
Just my two cents. And if your car weren’t the same color as mine, I would be very interested!
Gary
Old 10-20-2021, 03:45 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

Repcapale -Hope you get your price which I assume is way above current high bid!

Last edited by Dodaleca; 10-21-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:05 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
Repcapale -Hope you get your price which I assume is way above current high bid!
Thank you! We will see how it goes.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:20 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 312 Posts

someone getting fired
Old 10-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Groach
Beautiful and rare car! I also have a Platinum Silver Metallic 2012 manual coupe. I love the color in different lights.
I also just sold my 997.1 TT on BaT on 9/24/21 for $135k. It took mine about six weeks to go live AFTER approval….so about eight weeks total.
I’m no expert, but my thoughts:
1. Prices can be highly varied on BAT! A TT sold last week with better options than mine, 6k more miles, a fender repaint that did not show on CarFax…for $97k. $38,000 less than mine!!
2. Pay for professional pictures, and be prepared to give him some guidance. Look at my listing compared to others. Pictures matter. Also being an informed and responsive seller, but it sounds like you have that covered.
3. The only recent 997.2 TT manual coupes to sell on BaT recently (actually one is still live) were in Canada and have associated costs in shipping and fees that rightly kept their prices down. I would worry buyers will just glance at those lower prices and not feel comfortable exceeding that on your car.
4. Your carbon seats are awesome…but the factory matching Grey ones would look better and this car is very collectible. Original rules. And some don’t like Stone Grey and the black seats make it stand out more.
5. Have a detailed intelligent response to the inevitable comment about the DME. See the response in my sale. You are right about your DME, it is no problem. But one comment will scare some buyers away (and you need at least two for a great price). The uninformed just need to hear an expert (or someone who sounds like they know what they’re talking about) say it’s ok.
6. I’m not sure about winter vs spring sale prices, but with the widely varying prices on these cars, there definitely seems to be some luck involved with the timing.
Just my two cents. And if your car weren’t the same color as mine, I would be very interested!
Gary
Thanks for the input. Literally changing the oil as I type this. I have time setup next week to get the car on the lift and get some undercarriage pics. Still on the fence about timing, but we'll see. Might have to roll the dice since the best visibility seems to be on BaT.
The following users liked this post:
strato58 (11-04-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 03:40 PM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 121 Posts

That's a hoot. I wonder how that happened without either site catching on?
Old 10-22-2021, 12:49 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Interesting thread. I find BAT too intimidating so I plan to finally sell my 2012 Turbo S with 31k miles the old fashioned way, PCA website and Rennlist Classifieds. If it becomes too much of a hassle after a while I'll just trade it in when the time comes. I've had plenty of people over the years tell me "if you ever want to sell that car, please come to me first" but I can't remember who they are and they may have lost interest of bought another car by now. I just found out... I'm getting a new car supposedly arriving in early December so I guess not driving it anymore and just selling it now makes the most sense. I'm so emotionally attached to this car, it will be very hard to let it go of this bone stock car.

Ughhhh, I don't want to do this but I have to in order to pay cash for the new car. I am hoping someone will mostly just buy it sight unseen from across the US so I don't have to test drive the car with them and see them drive MY car away. That's how I bought this car, 6 years ago. I'll take pictures this Sunday if I have time and put together an ad copy. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should/could ask for it, please PM me if you like. I'm still not sure, at all. I feel like listing it for some really high amount so no one buys it but that's not the end goal so that won't work. This is happening.

Dirty pics of the car below, very... dirty. I'm going to take beautiful pics in front of pretty homes right near my house. Much more scenic. Or... do I just trade it since I live in a state where I save on the taxes for that value?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...lly-built.html

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 10-22-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Big Swole (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts

Finally, a 6spd Turbo with a few miles (73k) on it:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-36/

Looking forward to seeing how it does compared to all the sub-40k mile cars that are usually on there. Nice color and AZ/CA ownership history.
Big Swole (11-03-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

@Skwerl , Agreed, this'll be interesting to watch. Mine has 36k miles and it's funny (though now obvious) that your 'sub 40k mile' comment is really true. Crossing that is a mild threshold in my mind from good miles to sorta mid miles.

Anyway, the listing says 'sport seats' twice but those don't appear to be unless I'm lost in Porsche nomenclature. Again.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:32 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl

Looking forward to seeing how it does compared to all the sub-40k mile cars that are usually on there. Nice color and AZ/CA ownership history.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:01 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl

Not gonna lie, I'm sort of flabbergasted at that final price - $96k before fees. Have to assume the color helped carry it because the mileage and condition put it squarely in the "driver" category and Turbos with fewer miles have sold for the same. I mean, just a few days earlier someone paid the same for a black one with 35k miles that also seems to be in better shape.

I was expecting low to mid $70s at best.

Last edited by Skwerl; 11-11-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:35 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 129 Posts

That was certainly a stout price… but at a certain point the mileage will become less a factor (quality of the car withstanding). There’re so few of these cars and it just won’t be possible to find that 6k car… When I look at 1996 turbos.. the mileage is really lower on my list as opposed to options, colors, and overall appeal of the car.
the 997.2 is the truly last of the analogue 911s… just wait till they introduce the electric 911… all of these prices will look cheap then.

I am certainly biased as I love driving my car… I just said to myself 2 years ago that I wasn’t going to squirm about the odometer.

Last edited by cyclrder; 11-10-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Robocop305 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:44 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't see these in manual transmissions in the $70s. That's a thing of the past.
cyclrder (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

There's been one in the Marketplace for several weeks at $69k that hasn't sold. You even commented there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1273492

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread