Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 05:23 PM
MIKe30
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by salvelinus
good luck with the auction !
Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
Yes, good luck with the auction! She’s beautiful. You know it is this weeks BAT guessing game in the 997 forum. Guesses are currently between $132k and $152k.
Originally Posted by Kevin8tor
Fantastic result for a beauty!
Thank you gents. And no, had no idea it was the subject of the guessing game. I did reread it though, so congrats to you! Lol! Thanks for the heads up.
The following users liked this post:
ThunderRolls (06-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 07:03 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...turbo-coupe-2/

RNM at $179,500. Seemed like all the money imho. Someone needs to explain this result and I am happy to learn. Don't get me wrong as I love these 997.2 turbos in any form but a few dealers seem to be trying once again to corner the market and drive the prices of these way up to ridiculous levels. Sticker price for this model 15 years out seems like a great result..and yet it didn't sell. I don't see the cache here with these models other than production rarity which to me is not near enough alone to annoint them like they are 993/964 variety as these few dealers are attempting to do. I realize they were rare in manual form but that was for a reason--the driving dynamics of a manual turbo is/was a far cry from the same heel-toe experience in a 997 N/A GT/RS model where throttle response is immediate, precise and boost is not interfering. The 997 TT was produced when really good manual GT/RS cars also came out--so they were not the penultimate model at that point while the 993 TTS/964 T cars did not have GT3RSs to compete with as to cache--they were the kings of the 911 lineup.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:11 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

This looks like a spotless manual:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 07-10-2024, 07:24 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by HpIzKing

RNM at $179,500. Seemed like all the money imho. Someone needs to explain this result and I am happy to learn. Don't get me wrong as I love these 997.2 turbos in any form but a few dealers seem to be trying once again to corner the market and drive the prices of these way up to ridiculous levels. Sticker price for this model 15 years out seems like a great result..and yet it didn't sell. I don't see the cache here with these models other than production rarity which to me is not near enough alone to annoint them like they are 993/964 variety as these few dealers are attempting to do. I realize they were rare in manual form but that was for a reason--the driving dynamics of a manual turbo is/was a far cry from the same heel-toe experience in a 997 N/A GT/RS model where throttle response is immediate, precise and boost is not interfering. The 997 TT was produced when really good manual GT/RS cars also came out--so they were not the penultimate model at that point while the 993 TTS/964 T cars did not have GT3RSs to compete with as to cache--they were the kings of the 911 lineup.
I kind of agree....that dealer does find and collect real nicely optioned 997s and he will probably get his price at his store. Aside from the rarity of the manual in the 997.2 turbo, I don't know how much of an experience that is to merit that kind of premium. I feel that with the introduction of the pdk the turbo cars are much better suited with the pdk. Perhaps I am biased as an owner of a "lowly" 997.2 turbo S but I just can't imagine driving this car to its potential with a manual transmission. It's such an experience keeping the boost on boil with the pdk with no drop off between shifts. I know it's a different story with the NA GT cars but the pdk is perfectly suited for the gen2 turbos. I get my driver engagement jollies from my manual CT5-V Blackwing anyway and that Tremec is a much better manual transmission than the one on the turbo 😉
The following 2 users liked this post by Cnair:
HpIzKing (07-11-2024), R1stcarrera (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 12:06 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by HpIzKing

I think VINwiki on Youtube did an interview with him (Ryan Friedman) and he explicitly said his plan was to corner the market on 997.2 Turbo 6-speeds and drive the price up.
HpIzKing (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 01:24 PM
997FamilyMan
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cnair
I kind of agree....that dealer does find and collect real nicely optioned 997s and he will probably get his price at his store. Aside from the rarity of the manual in the 997.2 turbo, I don't know how much of an experience that is to merit that kind of premium. I feel that with the introduction of the pdk the turbo cars are much better suited with the pdk. Perhaps I am biased as an owner of a "lowly" 997.2 turbo S but I just can't imagine driving this car to its potential with a manual transmission. It's such an experience keeping the boost on boil with the pdk with no drop off between shifts. I know it's a different story with the NA GT cars but the pdk is perfectly suited for the gen2 turbos. I get my driver engagement jollies from my manual CT5-V Blackwing anyway and that Tremec is a much better manual transmission than the one on the turbo 😉
Just a side note as I can only speak to the STS manual as mine is equipped, but I find it to be a very good manual transmission. Only driven the Tremec in a 5th gen viper, and yeah, that is a damn good transmission and I would put its bolt action feeling above that of the turbo unit. Then go get in an STI or heaven forbid a mustang gt and holy hell I feel lucky not to have the notchiness (Subaru) or the vague as hell ford box. Its action for the amount of power it is working is well above par.

Last edited by 997FamilyMan; 07-10-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 01:57 PM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 135 Posts

This is what I think of anytime I hear/see RF and .2 manuals

HpIzKing (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 02:36 PM
997FamilyMan
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arscottp
This is what I think of anytime I hear/see RF and .2 manuals
lol, that really is the perfect sentiment.
Old 07-10-2024, 04:02 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

LOL

.2 TT is a great car, PDK or not

Manual is the most engaging transmission.

The wide power band, and torque everywhere, equals an excellent manual gearbox experience for a boosted car
jmocporsche997 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 04:32 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
LOL

.2 TT is a great car, PDK or not

Manual is the most engaging transmission.

The wide power band, and torque everywhere, equals an excellent manual gearbox experience for a boosted car
Yes engaging if it is enjoyable to use / operate etc. A vague or notchy manual is not enjoyable imo. With high powered turbo cars a modern dsg or pdk is way more effective vs manually shifting....especially with the TT since it revs so quickly and the acceleration is so brutal you need to have both hands on the wheel.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:00 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 85 Posts

Here's a 7k mile 2007 at BaT - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...rbo-coupe-128/
Old 07-12-2024, 02:33 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Cnair
Yes engaging if it is enjoyable to use / operate etc. A vague or notchy manual is not enjoyable imo. With high powered turbo cars a modern dsg or pdk is way more effective vs manually shifting....especially with the TT since it revs so quickly and the acceleration is so brutal you need to have both hands on the wheel.
Agreed, however I'll qualify that these cars, with their wide power bands are not difficult to shift manually. Short shift or wind it out . . .
Old 07-12-2024, 09:02 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

In my experience winding out the pdk in first in manual mode is actually trickier than a manual. If you don’t hit the paddle by 5k RPM it’ll be on the limiter by the time the shift happens. The other gears are fine, but the laggy shifters in first can be pretty annoying.
Old 07-13-2024, 01:28 AM
ssaa77
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know someone who has a 2008 black/black turbo 6sp with 35k miles looking to move it. He has no idea what to price it at and he asked me. Is $95k fair? Too high/low?
Old 07-13-2024, 06:06 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Here is the thing about a manual .2 Turbo.... at 30 mph to 85 mph I am having way more fun than any PDK car and not having to be looking over my shoulder waiting to get busted because I had to ring the car's neck in a 45mph zone...whereas with a PDK you have to be going insane speeds to get to "shift" and feel any sex appeal with the car...You just don't need to pull out the bag of bondage toys to have fun with the car... just an easy pop down a back road and I can set the tone with my right hand. You know it and I know it.
The second part of the equation is that every time I see some post about a seal leaking, some plastic fitting failing or what ever else that 98% of the technical issues that people talk about on this forum I already know that I don't need to rush to the forum to see if some new problem has arisen as it will always be a .1 car..... that's why these cars get the premium. Sure, the GT cars are more engaging at the apex... but if I really need that extra slap I have other toys to pull out of the garage.

If you really want to get down to brass tacks... then we all are on the wrong forum... a .2 Manual Carerra S offers even more fun on those same roads and it sounds a hell of a lot better than any Turbo.
The following 3 users liked this post by cyclrder:
Adams (07-14-2024), Cnair (07-13-2024), Rig.Stunts (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread