Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 11:59 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

I think 997 Turbos are new enough and plentiful enough that mileage becomes a pretty big factor in the price. There are enough clean TTs to choose from with <50k miles that most people just decide to spend a little more for lower miles. That one being a Tip with some deferred maintenance isn't doing it any favors, either.

A really nice looking Tip with only 36k miles sold for $70k on BaT a few months ago. I know prices are up recently, but I'm not sure Tips have shot up the same way the low-mile 6mt cars have, and it sounds like the one you're looking at was listed around the same time anyway.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-100/

There are a couple videos on YouTube specifically about 997 Turbos with Tiptronics, I believe the Smoking Tire and JayEmm on Cars have done them, that go over their thoughts on the transmission vs manual. From what I remember, it's a fine transmission and can actually feel faster than the manual because it holds onto boost between gear changes but it lacks the involvement and "fun" of a stickshift. In some ways it's well suited to the Turbo if you're going to use it as a cruiser or highway car.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:30 PM
gammerx
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I think 997 Turbos are new enough and plentiful enough that mileage becomes a pretty big factor in the price. There are enough clean TTs to choose from with <50k miles that most people just decide to spend a little more for lower miles. That one being a Tip with some deferred maintenance isn't doing it any favors, either.

A really nice looking Tip with only 36k miles sold for $70k on BaT a few months ago. I know prices are up recently, but I'm not sure Tips have shot up the same way the low-mile 6mt cars have, and it sounds like the one you're looking at was listed around the same time anyway.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-100/

There are a couple videos on YouTube specifically about 997 Turbos with Tiptronics, I believe the Smoking Tire and JayEmm on Cars have done them, that go over their thoughts on the transmission vs manual. From what I remember, it's a fine transmission and can actually feel faster than the manual because it holds onto boost between gear changes but it lacks the involvement and "fun" of a stickshift. In some ways it's well suited to the Turbo if you're going to use it as a cruiser or highway car.
I've watched both vids and it's definitely not a PDK or DSG but seems fine enough. I wouldn't call it deferred maintenance either really, seems like everything else was done besides plugs? Again I think for the age, 36k vs 71k miles is not THAT big of a deal especially for how clean it looks. everything else is 75k and up now for tips on the market and none of them have PCCB from factory which is neat
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 12:50 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

All I can really say is that in this heated market, if a 997 Turbo is sitting unsold for months, it's the market speaking. I have a higher-mileage 6mt coupe so I'm always interested in that segment, and my observation is that after about 60k miles people just really don't want them, and certainly not at the high prices we've been seeing.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:10 PM
gammerx
AutoX

All I can really say is that in this heated market, if a 997 Turbo is sitting unsold for months, it's the market speaking. I have a higher-mileage 6mt coupe so I'm always interested in that segment, and my observation is that after about 60k miles people just really don't want them, and certainly not at the high prices we've been seeing.
I guess it could be "cheaper" than it is but I'm not buying it to resell the car anytime soon or at all who knows. These cars wont go any lower in value IMO and will always be great weekend toys if anything. Agree on the market ideology but disagree with 60k being too much for one of these. There's no reason to pass because of the mileage here
Old 10-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Yeah, if you don't see yourself ever selling it and the car checks out mechanically, then I see nothing wrong with going for it. That's the biggest downside of getting a high-mileage Turbo imo. Just speaking personally, I regret getting a high-mileage one because all the low/mid-mile cars are way up in value and sell in a day but if I tried to sell mine I'd have to deal with bottom-feeding tire kickers expecting to pay peanuts.

The Tip transmission might even be a benefit since I understand they're extremely durable and robust so you won't have to worry about $3k clutch jobs. You will probably need to bank on an engine-out to do the coolant pipes/coils/spark plugs in the near future, though, plus those wing hydraulics aren't cheap to repair.

Edit: Btw, here's a useful site for getting an overview of what Tiptronic Turbos have been selling for.

https://www.classic.com/m/porsche/91...upe-automatic/

And here it is for manual transmissions:

https://www.classic.com/m/porsche/91.../coupe-manual/

Last edited by Skwerl; 10-07-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:54 PM
gammerx
AutoX

Yeah, if you don't see yourself ever selling it and the car checks out mechanically, then I see nothing wrong with going for it. That's the biggest downside of getting a high-mileage Turbo imo. Just speaking personally, I regret getting a high-mileage one because all the low/mid-mile cars are way up in value and sell in a day but if I tried to sell mine I'd have to deal with bottom-feeding tire kickers expecting to pay peanuts.

The Tip transmission might even be a benefit since I understand they're extremely durable and robust so you won't have to worry about $3k clutch jobs. You will probably need to bank on an engine-out to do the coolant pipes/coils/spark plugs in the near future, though, plus those wing hydraulics aren't cheap to repair.
Yeah I currently don't know about the coolant lines, but the dealer offered to check for me. I'll be making a little bit on my trade in so 62k out the door seems pretty good to me? Otherwise yeah coolant job is like 4k? That might suck. Plugs/coils should be 1k and I was gonna convert to eRAM kit if they're bad. Most of the fixes are covered by the $4k I was going to spend on tires/rear brakes on the rs7 anyways lol
Robocop305 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:04 PM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

I pre-emptively installed Rennkit's erams this Summer in about 2 hours. 2011 Tts Cab. My hydraulics were weeping. Cost was about 1700, but it was worthwhile and not too difficult. 997 tts are on the rise. Many young people can't drive stick, tips will hold their own if well maintained. The engine and Trans can handle the mileage, and you seem to be aware of the pitfalls. Go for it.
Robocop305 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM
gammerx
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kevin8tor
I pre-emptively installed Rennkit's erams this Summer in about 2 hours. 2011 Tts Cab. My hydraulics were weeping. Cost was about 1700, but it was worthwhile and not too difficult. 997 tts are on the rise. Many young people can't drive stick, tips will hold their own if well maintained. The engine and Trans can handle the mileage, and you seem to be aware of the pitfalls. Go for it.
Thanks man! I fall in that group, but moreso because I've never owned one (27 y.o.). I do ride motorcycles as well and have driven an old civic, and a 2015 WRX in stick, but not for a long period of time. I'd love a manual but 62k is much more doable than 95k for me!
Old 10-08-2021, 12:46 AM
snolvr
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

gammerx- As a simple data point for you, I was offered an honest $70k for my 86k mi 6spd black/black 997tt last weekend. I almost made the transaction happen until luckily I came to my senses. Yes, this market is crazy right now and the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. These cars are only appreciating. In your case, the last thing I would let scare me away is the 60k miles.The tip on the other hand....

Anyway, these mezger engines and platforms, even with higher mileage and their known weaknesses, are much more reliable than unfamiliar people give them credit for.
Robocop305 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 12:54 AM
gammerx
AutoX

Originally Posted by snolvr
gammerx- As a simple data point for you, I was offered an honest $70k for my 86k mi 6spd black/black 997tt last weekend. I almost made the transaction happen until luckily I came to my senses. Yes, this market is crazy right now and the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. These cars are only appreciating. In your case, the last thing I would let scare me away is the 60k miles.The tip on the other hand....

Anyway, these mezger engines and platforms, even with higher mileage and their known weaknesses, are much more reliable than unfamiliar people give them credit for.
Man I'd pay more than 70k for it haha. I feel like a TCU tune might take most of the problem away? No idea I think I need to drive one to see how the tip is..
Robocop305 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

All I can say is that in my Turbo S Cab, my Speedtech 3" system w/200 cell cats sounds glorious. I have no reservations whatsoever about it being too loud or unpleasant.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:41 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 312 Posts

07 coupe/manual

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-111/

08 cab/manual

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-cabriolet-48/
Old 10-19-2021, 12:04 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 264 Posts

There is also this one: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-15/

Clearly the best Turbo ever listed on BAT......
The following 2 users liked this post by repcapale:
cjcam930 (10-20-2021), DivingorDriving (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:20 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale
There is also this one: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-15/

Clearly the best Turbo ever listed on BAT......
100% agree
The following 2 users liked this post by NSXavier:
DivingorDriving (10-19-2021), repcapale (10-19-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

What is everyone's thoughts on auction listing timing? I have my 2011 997.2 6-speed listed for sale here. I'm also considering BaT, but I know that process can take 4-5+ weeks (also heard 8 weeks recently). Assuming I start the application process now, that would put my auction into US Thanksgiving/late fall/early winter time of year. People are buying year round, but I feel like Spring/Summer is more optimal driving season. Should I wait until early Spring to try BaT?

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread