997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021 | 10:47 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I agree that {not including orig CL setup) just puts a damper on bidders who might otherwise run their bids up to full tilt.

I also agree with 8Lug & have been scratching my head with those same questions for years. I just took all my CL's off for disassembly & regreasing, and yes I have a lift, so it was super easy to do. But all the same sentiments & justification {for 5 lug} about being stranded on the road do not make any real sense. Those have to be coming from people who have never had them, and are just giving WAG (track guys excluded). BUT this is about nickel & diming the buyer in this auction. Poor choice not to include them.

Now what I WANT TO KNOW,... is why in the heck would they paint the inner wheel plastic, and put PPF film in there. Pics still show them looking black color too. This is what they said in the description:

"The windshield was replaced in August 2021, and the seller notes that paint protection film has been applied to the painted inner wheel wells along with a ceramic coating on the body.

that is just too weird for me

Old 09-22-2021 | 10:54 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I agree that {not including orig CL setup) just puts a damper on bidders who might otherwise run their bids up to full tilt.

I also agree with 8Lug & have been scratching my head with those same questions for years. I just took all my CL's off for disassembly & regreasing, and yes I have a lift, so it was super easy to do. But all the same sentiments & justification {for 5 lug} about being stranded on the road do not make any real sense. Those have to be coming from people who have never had them, and are just giving WAG (track guys excluded). BUT this is about nickel & diming the buyer in this auction. Poor choice not to include them.

Now what I WANT TO KNOW,... is why in the heck would they paint the inner wheel plastic, and put PPF film in there. Pics still show them looking black color too. This is what they said in the description:

"The windshield was replaced in August 2021, and the seller notes that paint protection film has been applied to the painted inner wheel wells along with a ceramic coating on the body.

I think the PPF statement is just for the area of painted bumper cover that extends into the wheel well via the fender lip.

I wrote a comment on the auction about not including the CL setup. Lets see if anything happens (not holding my breath).
Old 09-22-2021 | 10:57 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

also,... looks like the average speed for that car is 6730 miles / 264 engine hrs = 25.5 average mph.

That's definitely a street driven average,... so why the need for the Elephant Racing adjustable caster bushings??

update: Finally read the sellers note in the comment section about how this car was supposed to be his track car, but never ended up that way. Fair enough. But put it back to stock. little effort goes a long way.

Last edited by bweSteve; 09-22-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: finally read the sellers note in comment section
Old 09-22-2021 | 11:02 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Steve, I think the seller just used the wrong terminology. It's not the plastic wheel well liners that were painted and covered in PPF, it's the fender area that's rolled into the wheel well. That's the part that get's directly blasted with road debris kicked up by the tires.
I'm thinking it's the area I circled below.

The following users liked this post:
bweSteve (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 11:06 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 8Lug
People who don't track their cars and are not changing wheels every week don't seem to mind center locks. Myself included. Yes, there is a bit of complexity added which is really not necessary for a road car, but I never had an issue taking a wheel off. I really don't see what the big deal is. I just read through the comments in that auction. I don't get the "stranded in the middle of nowhere with a flat" anti-center lock crowd. Are these people really carrying a jack and spare tire in their 5 lug converted GT3s so they can do road side tire changes? If not, doesn't a flat bed pick up a stranded car the same way whether it has 5 lugs, a center lock, or wheels that are permanently welded on? Assuming you have the right tools with you, I just can't see a situation where a center lock equipped car would be stranded while a 5 lug car could carry on.

Anyway, back on topic. Can't wait to see where this car hammers. Very nice example. (too bad it's missing the center locks )
The BaT comment by ChrisF1 also did not make sense to me: "Sorry but the center locks are one of the most stupid features ever implemented by Porsche. They serve no purpose other than to “look cool”. They are just a liability. I’ve seen a ton of cars leave top flight shops and even P dealers without the spline locks engaged."

Question: If any of you are taking your CL car to a Indy that is questionable in your mind (first red flag right there, but I'll leave that part alone),... would you not pop your caps off & just quickly double check that the spline locks are engaged?

Normally I would have just let that comment go,... but he seems so upset about it,... and worried about everyone else's CL's. hahahahaha
ljmartyre (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 11:22 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Agree on the CL parts not being included is just bizarre.

Tells you a lot about the seller.
The following 4 users liked this post by Colorado964turbo:
405 (09-22-2021), Booth9999 (09-22-2021), HpIzKing (09-22-2021), smceo (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 11:30 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

The BaT comment by ChrisF1 also did not make sense to me: "Sorry but the center locks are one of the most stupid features ever implemented by Porsche. They serve no purpose other than to “look cool”. They are just a liability. I’ve seen a ton of cars leave top flight shops and even P dealers without the spline locks engaged."

Question: If any of you are taking your CL car to a Indy that is questionable in your mind (first red flag right there, but I'll leave that part alone),... would you not pop your caps off & just quickly double check that the spline locks are engaged?

Normally I would have just let that comment go,... but he seems so upset about it,... and worried about everyone else's CL's. hahahahaha
Spot on. You would think we were talking about a minivan driven by a technically-challenged soccer mom who has to rely on her local Jiffy lube for maintenance, repair, and car advice. I don't buy for a second that someone who owns a GT3 is 1)incapable of throwing in the car the proper tools for CL removal if going on a road trip 2) incapable of removing a CL wheel with said tools and 3) incapable of quickly verifying for him/her self that the wheels were reinstalled properly in the event a third-party performs the wheel mounting.

8Lug (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 12:41 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Steve, think what Chris is saying, it that the system is really unnecessary and complex, and that even Porsche repair shops have trouble properly servicing and locking the CL's.
Old 09-22-2021 | 12:50 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Too high. Pandemic hits and everything goes thru the roof. Milk eggs cars, etc......

on another note, where have ya been?
Good morning man. All good here. Been traveling for a couple months, so have been off the radar a bit. How are you enjoying your Pumpkin? Hope you are happy with it and are enjoying the early morning garage time with it along with some great drives. I'm loving mine!!!

CheeRS
Old 09-22-2021 | 12:51 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

I have used my .1 RS as a DD for years. The car is not brutal on you unless you are used to floating about in a Caddie or S-class MB. Sure, it can be a bit loud, but I have always found the 'wow' factor far outweighs any discomfort. I have owned it now for 9 years, I have over 40K miles on it, and every single time I drive it I come back with a huge smile on my face.
The following 6 users liked this post by HarmonyJim:
Elliotw44 (09-22-2021), EMpunker (09-22-2021), ljmartyre (09-23-2021), smceo (09-22-2021), SupraSaiyan (09-22-2021), zshecht7792 (09-22-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-22-2021 | 02:26 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

The Jesse James 997.2 RS that was on ebay (VIN: WP0AC2A98BS783340) just sold at auction in Texas for $195k

HpIzKing (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 02:29 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Steve, think what Chris is saying, it that the system is really unnecessary and complex, and that even Porsche repair shops have trouble properly servicing and locking the CL's.
Ok I can understand that perspective. but ....

unnecessary for the street? - sure,... but most of the GT3 car we drive is unnecessary for the street. And that's actually part of the reason I LOVE IT.

Complex? .... sure,... but I do love a challenge, and also love that most general car guys are scared of what they do not understand,... thus maybe we CL guys get some respect, or even admiration from the general crowd??

.... bottom line is that most of us on here who own, DIY and understand the complexity are not afraid of the complexity. Those of us who choose to go 5 lug for personal good reasons are also respected in THIS community.
....... so yea Chris just seemed a bit over the top in his choice of words. But maybe if we were sitting at a bar having beers together, we probably would have had a good laugh at the whole exchange.

lastly, you are SPOT ON, w.r.t Porsche shops. trust no one with your car. Always double check everything.
Old 09-22-2021 | 03:03 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Agree on the CL parts not being included is just bizarre.

Tells you a lot about the seller.
I don't think it tells us much about the seller at all except he, like most anyone, wants to get the most money he can for his car and wheels. That's it. Some people don't give a sh*t about the wheels and don't want to pay extra for them. Will it effect bids? Maybe. The seller should make them available at a specific price, then you've pleased everyone, including the seller. The guy that wants them pays more for them, the guy that doesn't want them doesn't pay extra and then have to deal with getting rid of them, and the seller doesn't give away wheels worth a lot of money for potentially next to nothing.

@RAudi Driver can tell you his RS came with an extra set of wheels he didn't want (Hope you don't mind me mentioning you Ed) and didn't want to pay for them. The only difference here is the Cls are stock.

Regardless, take pictures and price them.

In my business people sometimes ask us to throw in the sales tax, as if I have a magic machine that erases my requirement to pay it. It's money. If it's so easy to throw stuff in you do it then.
Old 09-22-2021 | 03:39 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

I just talked to Karpark and they said they will change the ad including the centerlock kit in the sale, but they don’t have the stock wheels.
Old 09-22-2021 | 03:47 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Kind of a stripper too. At least for me.

Also I've never seen a lightweight headlights option actually on the build sheet but I can see why you would want it. Saves 13lbs getting rid of the headlight washer. Did they charge to delete it? I'm sure they did. It's Porsche.

This car and my old 997 4.0 were the only two I have seen personally with the LTW headlights

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...