Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I just purchased the white 2007 GT3 that was for sale in Tennessee, the one with 27k miles. The dealership didn't drop a cent! They know that these cars will eventually sell now or wait for the spring and sell it for a premium. I flew to see the car on Friday and bought it. The car was in an immaculate condition with a little interior wear but not a big deal. The paint was all original and in excellent condition. The PCBB brakes were like brand new. Definitely look like a car that has never seen a race track. I will post some pictures as soon as get the car. I should have the car at my house by this Tuesday or Wednesday. Its being trucked enclosed and by a company that moves luxury vehicles. I have noticed that advertised price have very little negotiating room. Fine, unmolested samples are getting hard to find or you will be paying over $100k soon.

Last edited by Robocop305; 11-21-2020 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robocop305:
vtgt (11-22-2020), zshecht7792 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I think Doug is referring to the following photos. Pic 95 in the BAT auction shows it, there is rust on the engine casing bolts and also on the line in the upper left hand corner of the photo. Post 96 shows rust on the exhaust hardware bolts holding the exhaust tips to the exhaust. Looks like it was probably winter driven at some point, as that is pretty much how my Audi looks, although much worse than that (5-10x worse), after 7 Ohio winters and another 2-3 NY winters before I had it. Dry ice blasting may be a possibility on a car like that, although I know next to nothing on the topic and whether it would remove the rust or not.
Originally Posted by switchcars
Did y'all see the underside photos? For as much as the BaT peanut gallery complains about Cosmoline on the underside of cars.....this one was actually pretty crusty. That with the sequential was enough for a number of people to just not bother bidding.
I actually noticed the corrosion on the exhaust but assumed it was inferior aftermarket metal. Assuming the engine bolts are suffering the same, would a coolant leak explain it? Would it suggest more serious and permanent issues to the case itself? I’ve never winter driven my 911 here in New England but I can certainly imagine what road salt would do to that engine.

Thank you for all the knowledge and expertise you guys share here.

Last edited by Pats911; 11-21-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:57 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Plenty of undercarriage bolts and nuts can show rust even if it has never seeing snow. It’s all normal on a car this age unless the car lived in bubble and was never used. Now, if the rust is excessive to include bigger metal pieces then that’s a different story. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Originally Posted by 8Lug
Agreed. All my summer cars show rust on unprotected steel hardware bits like exhaust manifold bolts. It's just surface rust from moisture due to condensation and has nothing to do with being driven in inclement weather or exposed to road salt. Anytime you get some cold weather, followed by higher humidity, condensation will occur on metal pieces.
Originally Posted by Pats911
I actually noticed the corrosion on the exhaust but assumed it was inferior aftermarket metal. Assuming the engine bolts are suffering the same, would a coolant leak explain it? Would it suggest more serious and permanent issues to the case itself? I’ve never winter driven my 911 here in New England but I can certainly imagine what road salt would do to that engine.

Thank you for all the knowledge and expertise you guys share here.
To clarify on this subject, I was making a guess based on Switchcars' comment regarding the corrosion, so I do not want to speak as to whether or not that was specifically what he was referring to. I also don't run a shop and look at 10+ 997's a week, so absolutely this all may be normal, but I was simply commenting on my personal experience having seen some 997 underbodies, including mine. What I will put below is simply my experience.

My 997 was first owned in OH (ridiculously humid and wet for 6+ months of the year), moved to CA, then to NY, then back to OH where it is now. I absolutely have corrosion on the exhaust bolts for my Sharkwerks exhaust. There is also some light surface corrosion on the exhaust itself. However, my car with 25k miles does not have any corrosion on the engine casing bolts (does have plenty of cosmoline though) and also does not have corrosion on the connector that I mentioned in the Black/Orange car. My car does have corrosion on the header bolts, but very uniform and even (exactly what is in the pics below). After the mention was made about the corrosion, I did start going through some of the previous BAT ads with undercarriage shots on what I would consider driver examples.

These ones all look pretty much what I would consider normal:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-30/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-27/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-28/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-gt3-rs-18/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-26/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-10/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-23/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-21/

Orange one here isn't necessarily what I would call crusty, just a bit wet from a RMS leak (common):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-997-1-gt3-rs/

This white one I can't really get good pics of, but maybe slightly more corrosion than the ones above:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-911-gt3-7/

Again, we're probably be super particular here, but just wanted to follow up to the question that was asked above and follow up with my original mention. No idea if the coolant would cause that. Typically I would think of coolant actually having anti-corrosion properties to protect the metal parts of the cooling system. So I do not think the coolant would cause that issue, but I'm not a mechanic. The pics from the Black/Orange car that was referenced probably wouldn't have any engine casing issues. I'm guessing it is just surface corrosion. With some time and effort that could probably be cleaned off, but that's all just a guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Pats911 (11-24-2020), pissedpuppy (11-22-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:41 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys, I've been following this thread for over a year now and have learned a great deal from your many insightful posts. I'm investigating a '07 Meteor Gray GT3 ( WP0AC29937S792488 ) w/13,000 miles FS at Bert Smith Porsche in St. Petersburg FL. It looks great, although a VIN search here on Rennlist revealed track use in the past along with a respray from the cowl forward at some point (currently has full front PFF). Neither is a deal killer for me as these cars are meant to be exercised and we all know 911 noses are subject to pitting whether driven on the street or track.

The issue is this. The DME report reveals a total of 609.5 hours but the sales rep texted me to say that it had been reset and was missing @400 hours. I don't see how he arrived at that conclusion based on this screen shot he sent to me. I see the the 32 ignition Range 1 overrevs at 229 hours but that's to be expected in a GT car that has been "driven". Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? In any case I'm on the hunt for a 997.1 or .2 GT3 w/less than 30,000 mile. It doesn't have to be garage queen as it will be used as a daily driver + DE and AutoX! Thanks!

Last edited by morefun; 11-23-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:50 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Doesn't 609 hours for 13,000 miles seem to be an unusually low average speed of 21.34 mph? Or is this normal?

I'd be a little nervous about the whole front clip being painted for rock chips and not having any before/after documentation. I know if I was going to have my car repainted for minor cosmetic issues I'd have tons of detailed before/during/after pictures to satisfy the next owner. I'd take that car to an independent body shop to have it assessed for possible other damage repair.

Just remember, any story you're willing to overlook today is going to cost you in resale down the road so your purchase price better reflect that.
The following users liked this post:
Porsch (11-29-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 04:03 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by morefun
Hi guys, I've been following this thread for over a year now and have learned a great deal from your many insightful posts. I'm investigating a '07 Meteor Gray GT3 ( WP0AC29937S792488 ) w/13,000 miles FS at Bert Smith Porsche in St. Petersburg FL. It looks great but a VIN search here on Rennlist reveals track use in the past which doesn't bother me. Also it apparently has been resprayed from the cowl forward at some point and currently has full front PFF. That's not a deal killer either as these cars are subject to pitting when driven on the street or track. The DME report reveals a total of 609.5 hours but the sales rep texted me to say that it had been reset and was missing @400 hours. I don't see how he arrived at that conclusion based on this screen shot he sent to me. I see the the 32 ignition Range 1 overrevs at 229 hours but that's to be expected in a GT car that has been "driven". Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? In any case I'm on the hunt for a 997.1 or .2 GT3 w/less than 30,000 mile. It doesn't have to be garage queen as it will be used as a daily driver + DE and AutoX! Thanks!

Salesman must be confused or its some miscommunication. Looks like 400 hours passed since the last registered overrev, and not that 400 hours were erased. Ask Doug @switchcars about this car. He sold it previously and I'm sure knows 10 times more about it than the current salesman.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:06 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Doesn't 609 hours for 13,000 miles seem to be an unusually low average speed of 21.34 mph? Or is this normal?.

Agreed! Esp. given that the car had been on the track early in it's life...
Old 11-23-2020, 04:08 PM
zshecht7792
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi guys, I've been following this thread for over a year now and have learned a great deal from your many insightful posts. I'm investigating a '07 Meteor Gray GT3 ( WP0AC29937S792488 ) w/13,000 miles FS at Bert Smith Porsche in St. Petersburg FL. It looks great but a VIN search here on Rennlist reveals track use in the past which doesn't bother me. Also it apparently has been resprayed from the cowl forward at some point and currently has full front PFF. That's not a deal killer either as these cars are subject to pitting when driven on the street or track. The DME report reveals a total of 609.5 hours but the sales rep texted me to say that it had been reset and was missing @400 hours. I don't see how he arrived at that conclusion based on this screen shot he sent to me. I see the the 32 ignition Range 1 overrevs at 229 hours but that's to be expected in a GT car that has been "driven". Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? In any case I'm on the hunt for a 997.1 or .2 GT3 w/less than 30,000 mile. It doesn't have to be garage queen as it will be used as a daily driver + DE and AutoX! Thanks!

to echo what 8lug said, doug at switchcars knows this car well. From what I remember him saying earlier in this thread this is a great car. I believe it has the lightweight flywheel and a few other nice mods. Definitely confirm this with him but I think this is a great one to look at for a lower mileage example. It is also priced pretty well imo.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 04:14 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'm talking with Switchcars about a white '07 here in the Northeast so, I'll give Doug a ring next. The negative on the white '07 is that it has been driven less than 300 miles over the past 2 years which concerns me....

Last edited by morefun; 11-23-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'm talking with Switchcars about a white '07 here in the Northeast so, I'll give Doug a ring next. The negative on the white '07 is that it has been driven less than 300 miles over the past 2 years which concerns me....
I wouldn't worry about 300 miles in 2 years as long as car has good overall maintenance history. These cars are novelties for many owners and it's common to see irregular mileage accumulation as the owners switch attention to other cars in their collections, or simply stop driving them for various reasons.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:46 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 95 Posts

For all those out there looking for a clean and well maintained driver...2010 GT3 for 89.5k

https://dickbarbourperformance.com/v...lanta-GA-30566

ps- I do know and am friends with Dick, but no personal interest or gain in the sale of this car

Last edited by widers911; 11-23-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Avg speed is a bit low, but I don't think a huge concern if everything checks out. Typically avg speed is around 30, this is around 20.

Regarding paint, car was original paint as of August 2020 when Doug was selling. My guess is they're taking into account the clear bra and thinking the front was repainted when it hasn't been. I would gladly pay Doug for his data file on this car to get some additional info. May be helpful in your search. That with a PPI and you should be set.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:02 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,427 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Originally Posted by widers911
For all those out there looking for a clean and well maintained driver...2010 GT3 for 89.5k

https://dickbarbourperformance.com/v...lanta-GA-30566

ps- I do know and am friends with Dick, but no personal interest or gain in the sale of this car
What’s the difference between Natural Leather Dark Grey and the Black Full Leather? They both look exactly the same to me yet the natural leather costs $1500 more.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
What’s the difference between Natural Leather Dark Grey and the Black Full Leather? They both look exactly the same to me yet the natural leather costs $1500 more.
Natural leather is a higher quality leather. Friend has it in his 997.1 Turbo. I have full leather in mine, it's good.

Some info here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ifference.html
Old 11-23-2020, 05:06 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
The natural leather is a higher quality hide with a different dyeing process but in my experience actually wears worse than the regular leather. Also seems completely pointless on a GT3 where most of the seating surface is Alcantara so you're only getting the supposedly higher quality leather on the bolsters, door card tops, and dash.

Last edited by 8Lug; 11-23-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...