Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:11 PM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
It’s safe to say it’s relative to all 4. Look at the associated year 07-08 vs 10-11 for both models and you’ll find declines. Are they linear across the board? No. The 10-11RS still commands the highest valuation percentage off of msrp no doubt. Last year, the norm was 180-240 based on age and condition. Late last year those same have sold or asked for 12-17k less with some even dropping further. It’s really commensurate of the model and age with the least desirable of the 4 to be 07-08 GT3. Surprisingly, the 07/08RS has been overlapped in some instances with the 10/11GT3 (rare, but it has happened). There’s a few clean 07/08RS with 15-25k mi that have sold for <140. There is one with choice modifications that would satisfy 95% on rennlist that has sat with an original asking of $137 for nearly 5 months.

Those 997.1 you’re looking at can be had for $82-84 this very moment if you have your money situation in order no problemo. Be patient and wait for further drops or put it bluntly that prices aren’t what they were 6 months ago. I think you’ll find most sellers (private and dealer) would agree. A search won’t take long to prove such. As the year progresses, it will go down with “maybe” a slight increase Jul-Sep. But I wouldn’t hold my breath on valuing like it was 2-4yrs ago. You can thank the Oil Coolers for that one. If you have some more headroom, I’d seriously look at an 07/08 RS instead, but that’s just me.

Do I have skin in the game? I’ve been into 993 Clubbies/Tributes since I was 13 and God knows that what I have into mine I could easily have an 07/08RS. But I’m waiting for the 10/11’s. That’s a different story for another time.....

sadly I am feeling that. Been trying to sell my 997.1 GT3 for a bit. Clean car no issues no overvs etc etc...21k miles, but sadly I think the above is correct...I might just hold on to it....torn... by the way I could use you guys input, is my asking price of 88k too night my car? Thnsks for your input..
Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Hey KDAWG, ... I have visited your RL FS ad several times since you posted....

I worry a bit for the guys selling on RL,.. getting anxious can be troublesome. You've only had it on RL for like less than a month tho right? Unfortunately in RL time, that seems like years. I personally don't think RL is a great place to sell. Lots of enthusiasts, but most either already have the car they are currently happy with, or they "possibly" could be lurking around here cuz they want to move to a different Porsche platform (but they move slow).
So in the grand scheme of the buying public, we are a VERY small demographic. I would even suspect that the full potential of GT3 buyers out there do not even look at RL Classifieds regularly.

You need to catch the guy coming home from Cars & Coffee on a Sunday, who drove his regular Carrera there,.. and heard a GT3 leave the parking lot. THAT's the guy that will immediately search on autotrader & cars.com

Solid car w/ known history, PCCB's, full leather WITH deviated stitching, good color combo & healthy MSRP options list,... WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!! ... few nics here & there, but at that mileage & price point, there is definitely a buyer out there. Just gotta find em.

I'm willing to bet as the Spring rolls on here,... and if you also put it out there on Autotrader &/or possibly cars.com, you'd get a lot more exposure.

Stay the course, don't panic on price, and get the FS exposure you need.

Hey also, I just logged into PCA, and I don't see your car there for sale (but see you are a PCA National Instructor). Why not throw it on there too?
..... there's a white .2 on there with 14.8k miles, steelies, sharkwerks, xpel & martini livery for $124k,... and a 2011 with 34k miles for $115k. So geeez, how could your .1 with 21k miles at $88K NOT be a deal?!?! Those are big gaps!

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-22-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve

I worry a bit for the guys selling on RL,.. getting anxious can be troublesome. You've only had it on RL for like less than a month tho right? Unfortunately in RL time, that seems like years. I personally don't think RL is a great place to sell. Lots of enthusiasts, but most either already have the car they are currently happy with, or they "possibly" could be lurking around here cuz they want to move to a different Porsche platform (but they move slow).
So in the grand scheme of the buying public, we are a VERY small demographic. I would even suspect that the full potential of GT3 buyers out there do not even look at RL Classifieds regularly.

You need to catch the guy coming home from Cars & Coffee on a Sunday, who drove his regular Carrera there,.. and heard a GT3 leave the parking lot. THAT's the guy that will immediately search on autotrader & cars.com

Solid car w/ known history, PCCB's, full leather WITH deviated stitching, good color combo & healthy MSRP options list,... WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!! ... few nics here & there, but at that mileage & price point, there is definitely a buyer out there. Just gotta find em.

I'm willing to bet as the Spring rolls on here,... and if you also put it out there on Autotrader &/or possibly cars.com, you'd get a lot more exposure.

Hey also, I just logged into PCA, and I don't see your car there for sale (but see you are a PCA National Instructor). Why not throw it on there too?
..... there's a white .2 on there with 14.8k miles, steelies, sharkwerks, xpel & martini livery for $124k,... and a 2011 with 34k miles for $115k. So geeez, how could your .1 with 21k miles at $88K NOT be a deal?!?! Those are big gaps!

=Steve
Agreed and extremely eloquently said!

Based on my experience and similar comments from others, IMO this forum is perhaps the worst possible place to try to sell a 997.1 GT3, unless it is a under 10K mile PTS garage queen that is grossly underpriced.

OK, that may be an exaggeration, but my attempt at selling my very attractively priced GT3 on here in 2016 attracted nothing but dreamers, lowballers, tire kickers and a couple of total jerks who sadly were RL members. And not one of the supposedly seriously interested parties made an effort to inspect the car in person, which is something that I insisted upon.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:53 PM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Originally Posted by bweSteve

=Steve
thank you for the kind words..,part of me says sell my other cars and keep this one..i will put it out there on the rags and see what happens. Thnsks again for the kind words and support,,

Originally Posted by jackb911

Based on my experience and similar comments from others, IMO this forum is perhaps the worst possible place to try to sell a 997.1 GT3, unless it is a under 10K mile PTS garage queen that is grossly underpriced.

OK, that may be an exaggeration, but my attempt at selling my very attractively priced GT3 on here in 2016 attracted nothing but dreamers, lowballers, tire kickers and a couple of total jerks who sadly were RL members. And not one of the supposedly seriously interested parties made an effort to inspect the car in person, which is something that I insisted upon.
sad to say but that is all I have had too......one guy stalks me bc I would sell the car to him at 77k...crazy...thank you for the kind words and support..
Old 02-23-2019, 12:26 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911

That Steve guy is pretty sharp

You both have nailed it. I had 6 "serious buyers". One buyer (collector with all kinds of bravado) agreed with me on price said, "I take it" at 8pm and said he would call in the morning for wire info, called me at 9am and said his wife picked another 997 RS that was a different color! The topper for me was a buyer who said he had purchased a plane ticket to come see the car, insisted on a drawing up legal contract (which was done well but included returning his deposit after he saw the car if he didn't like it! He insisted I take the car off the market to boot! None of which I agreed to. We talked 10 times over 10 days, I had the car PPI'd (he paid for) I sent multiple videos, photos, updated DME etc. and woke up to an email on the 11th day saying he couldn't buy the car because he changed his mind and was going to buy real estate instead. My assumption was RL was full of great car guys with integrity, hand shake type guys. Hardly..

KDAWG, hang in there. Patience is everything on these cars..
Old 02-23-2019, 01:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

^
lol
don take deposit I dont take car off market. whose money hits my account first gets the car

many times I have changed my mind.
buy thats b/n me and myself
if I said I buy it then changed mind
I will still buy it, then sell it next day at a loss.
my mind changed, my mistake, my loss.
has nothing to do with you
I will do what I said to do.

but yes, many tire kicker
but I will kick you right back.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:12 AM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair

You both have nailed it. I had 6 "serious buyers". One buyer (collector with all kinds of bravado) agreed with me on price said, "I take it" at 8pm and said he would call in the morning for wire info, called me at 9am and said his wife picked another 997 RS that was a different color! The topper for me was a buyer who said he had purchased a plane ticket to come see the car, insisted on a drawing up legal contract (which was done well but included returning his deposit after he saw the car if he didn't like it! He insisted I take the car off the market to boot! None of which I agreed to. We talked 10 times over 10 days, I had the car PPI'd (he paid for) I sent multiple videos, photos, updated DME etc. and woke up to an email on the 11th day saying he couldn't buy the car because he changed his mind and was going to buy real estate instead. My assumption was RL was full of great car guys with integrity, hand shake type guys. Hardly..

I had this joker in mass do the same to me. Sent me 500 insisted I take it off. He goes mia. I tell him we were done and he won’t get his deposit back. Haven’t heard from him since. Tire kickers. Dude just lowballed me on beer last night and told my car has been on here too long. Told him that doesn’t drive the value. Also if yuh can’t pick up the phone and talk about a 80+ Thousand dollar car. You aren’t serious. People get mad at me bc I call them, which might be problem too 😂m
thanks and I am going to hang there. Might explore BAT. not sure yet
Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair

I experienced some of the same, while selling my touring. Guy from Florida by chance?
Old 02-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
^
lol
don take deposit I dont take car off market. whose money hits my account first gets the car

^ Correct.

People can change their minds. We all have. No harm in that. But when you have said the words and used enough time there is an assumed purchase. I was super respectful of each buyer and went in order. That **** is over from now on. Short sweet and as Mooty said first wire to hit the account...
Old 02-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I experienced some of the same, while selling my touring. Guy from Florida by chance?
No, one was East Coaster and one was West Coaster..
Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^
lol

this is how you have to do it, one year I bought a watch for my wife, after she talked about this particular watch for six months....jewler special ordered it in....Needless to say, I give her the watch for Christmas, months later she admits...its nice but I’d rather have the Rolex, can you return the watch?

So now she has two watches... When you make a deal on something you follow through.i stick to my word, unfortunately that is not the case for many...

Last edited by osu s2k; 02-23-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:58 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

How you do anything, is how you do everything!!!! So I like to do a lot of research when looking at a particular car.

That being said, and being back on the buyers side here currently, I have seen a lot of BS from sellers of late (private parties, independents and Porsche Dealers all included).
Unfortunately, one needs to both pay up for a PPI and personally inspect the car yourself (yep it costs $$$)....The latter is logistically difficult when the car is miles away across the country. I will happily do it for the right car, but sellers need to give a guy time to do so.....sometimes the guy with the fastest bank transfer isn't the right buyer for your well cared for or modded car.

Also, it is extremely difficult to get complete info on a car on consignment, dealers don't know what mods are on a given car still (and say that they are there), and private parties still think the GT3 price bubble is still in effect.

So it looks like I will continue to sift through the $hit until I find a diamond in the rough (a well cared for car, honestly presented and represented, and at a fair market price). I am looking for a 997.2 GT3 as I feel 997.1 GT3's are currently overpriced ...coming in at pretty much 997.2 numbers.

That's my 2 cents!

Doug N
Old 02-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJN
How you do anything, is how you do everything!!!! So I like to do a lot of research when looking at a particular car.

That being said, and being back on the buyers side here currently, I have seen a lot of BS from sellers of late (private parties, independents and Porsche Dealers all included).
Unfortunately, one needs to both pay up for a PPI and personally inspect the car yourself (yep it costs $$$)....The latter is logistically difficult when the car is miles away across the country. I will happily do it for the right car, but sellers need to give a guy time to do so.....sometimes the guy with the fastest bank transfer isn't the right buyer for your well cared for or modded car.

Also, it is extremely difficult to get complete info on a car on consignment, dealers don't know what mods are on a given car still (and say that they are there), and private parties still think the GT3 price bubble is still in effect.

So it looks like I will continue to sift through the $hit until I find a diamond in the rough (a well cared for car, honestly presented and represented, and at a fair market price). I am looking for a 997.2 GT3 as I feel 997.1 GT3's are currently overpriced ...coming in at pretty much 997.2 numbers.

That's my 2 cents!

Doug N
Agreed on all!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:32 PM
LooseMarble
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I am planning on cranking up some marketing for my car soon to see about catching a springtime buyer. Seems I will have to go outside of Rennlist to market the car from the feeling I get. I have not been paying very close attention to the market over the winter. Thought I would post it up in this thread to see what kind of comments I get. Thanks.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...apolis-md.html

Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseMarble
So I am planning on cranking up some marketing for my car soon to see about catching a springtime buyer. Seems I will have to go outside of Rennlist to market the car from the feeling I get. I have not been paying very close attention to the market over the winter. Thought I would post it up in this thread to see what kind of comments I get. Thanks.
Generally speaking, non-essentials such as boats, motorcycles, convertibles and sports cars - especially the higher-end ones - tend to be MUCH easier to sell (and for a higher price) in the Spring than in the other three seasons.

In retrospect, the two mistakes I made when I attempted to market my GT3 were 1.) The original listing was in late Fall; and 2.) Rennlist was the only place that I listed it. HUGE mistake!

And has been by others mentioned earlier, if your listing runs too long, that could scare off some potential buyers. IMO, your asking price is very much in line, it is just not the right time - yet. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if finances permitted, I would already have your RS in my garage.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...