Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:27 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3
sadly I am feeling that. Been trying to sell my 997.1 GT3 for a bit. Clean car no issues no overvs etc etc...21k miles, but sadly I think the above is correct...I might just hold on to it....torn... by the way I could use you guys input, is my asking price of 88k too night my car? Thnsks for your input..
I bought a similar 07 in Nov. I think your price is fine. Maybe even a bit low. Unless you are more motivated... I strongly considered you car.

As others have said, RL isn’t the best place to sell a car.

Also, I would change your add. The pics and how they are organized are very poor. This is the number 1 item. I would get the car back to stock - remove the cage, remove the stickers, exhaust, etc. Not sure what you could do with the wheels but at least update the add to state that they are not stock. Have a better DME report.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:16 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair

^ Correct.

People can change their minds. We all have. No harm in that. But when you have said the words and used enough time there is an assumed purchase. I was super respectful of each buyer and went in order. That **** is over from now on. Short sweet and as Mooty said first wire to hit the account...
Still, that is a big ask without a sales agreement in place. Sure, for a super verified seller, but I wouldn't send some random guy $100k without knowing the car was mine 100%.

My steps to buying a private party car:

1) $1,000 non-refundable deposit (if the car checks out; PPI is essential to verify condition)
2) sales agreement signed by both parties
3) wire the funds

Old 02-24-2019, 03:18 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey KDAWG, ... I have visited your RL FS ad several times since you posted....

I worry a bit for the guys selling on RL,.. getting anxious can be troublesome. You've only had it on RL for like less than a month tho right? Unfortunately in RL time, that seems like years. I personally don't think RL is a great place to sell. Lots of enthusiasts, but most either already have the car they are currently happy with, or they "possibly" could be lurking around here cuz they want to move to a different Porsche platform (but they move slow).
So in the grand scheme of the buying public, we are a VERY small demographic. I would even suspect that the full potential of GT3 buyers out there do not even look at RL Classifieds regularly.

You need to catch the guy coming home from Cars & Coffee on a Sunday, who drove his regular Carrera there,.. and heard a GT3 leave the parking lot. THAT's the guy that will immediately search on autotrader & cars.com

Solid car w/ known history, PCCB's, full leather WITH deviated stitching, good color combo & healthy MSRP options list,... WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!! ... few nics here & there, but at that mileage & price point, there is definitely a buyer out there. Just gotta find em.

I'm willing to bet as the Spring rolls on here,... and if you also put it out there on Autotrader &/or possibly cars.com, you'd get a lot more exposure.

Stay the course, don't panic on price, and get the FS exposure you need.

Hey also, I just logged into PCA, and I don't see your car there for sale (but see you are a PCA National Instructor). Why not throw it on there too?
..... there's a white .2 on there with 14.8k miles, steelies, sharkwerks, xpel & martini livery for $124k,... and a 2011 with 34k miles for $115k. So geeez, how could your .1 with 21k miles at $88K NOT be a deal?!?! Those are big gaps!

=Steve
RL is a TERRIBLE place to sell a car. In the last 2 years, I sold 2 cars. Both were listed here with no luck; people were offering me below wholesale, even though I put exactly the wholesale price I was offered in the ad. Why would I sell it for less? I sold both within a few days over on the PCA classified.

It is not even worth bothering.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
@911-AL: I have a 2010 997.2 GT3 that’s currently on BaT. Ends this Friday:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-17/
Bummer it didn't sell.

Prices have definitely cooled off recently. Porsche Main Line had a gorgeous .2 that they sold, certified, for $106k last month. It was loaded with everything but buckets, and Tim Grape (the sales guy I have worked with in the past) said out of all the .2 GT3 models that have come through in his time there (11), that this one was the cleanest. I figure w/o CPO warranty it is a $102k car at that dealer, and even it took a few weeks to sell. The buyers just aren't there
Old 02-24-2019, 03:56 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

That Steve guy is pretty sharp

You both have nailed it. I had 6 "serious buyers". One buyer (collector with all kinds of bravado) agreed with me on price said, "I take it" at 8pm and said he would call in the morning for wire info, called me at 9am and said his wife picked another 997 RS that was a different color! The topper for me was a buyer who said he had purchased a plane ticket to come see the car, insisted on a drawing up legal contract (which was done well but included returning his deposit after he saw the car if he didn't like it! He insisted I take the car off the market to boot! None of which I agreed to. We talked 10 times over 10 days, I had the car PPI'd (he paid for) I sent multiple videos, photos, updated DME etc. and woke up to an email on the 11th day saying he couldn't buy the car because he changed his mind and was going to buy real estate instead. My assumption was RL was full of great car guys with integrity, hand shake type guys. Hardly..

KDAWG, hang in there. Patience is everything on these cars..
Wait, you didn't have a legit buyer for your car? I figured you had people lining up. It is such a special color.

I had the exact same experience recently when I listed my 991.2 for sale. Guy said he was going to pay me, he was going to pre-pay shipping so that I needed to pull the ad so that he didn't eat the shipping cost. I did so, then of course, he flaked (dealer in Florida; All Things Porsche). Said shipping was "too expensive" (the quote I got enclosed was $975). Simply a bunch of wasted time. If you don't know if you want the car, why waste the seller's time (and your time?)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:50 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Wait, you didn't have a legit buyer for your car? I figured you had people lining up. It is such a special color.

I had the exact same experience recently when I listed my 991.2 for sale. Guy said he was going to pay me, he was going to pre-pay shipping so that I needed to pull the ad so that he didn't eat the shipping cost. I did so, then of course, he flaked (dealer in Florida; All Things Porsche). Said shipping was "too expensive" (the quote I got enclosed was $975). Simply a bunch of wasted time. If you don't know if you want the car, why waste the seller's time (and your time?)
Surprised a dealer flaked on you, that's pretty rare. Your shipping cost was fine...

Agree completely. In a way it made me reconsider selling the car. Now I'm glad it worked out that way. A bit of a blessing...
Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Still, that is a big ask without a sales agreement in place. Sure, for a super verified seller, but I wouldn't send some random guy $100k without knowing the car was mine 100%.

My steps to buying a private party car:

1) $1,000 non-refundable deposit (if the car checks out; PPI is essential to verify condition)
2) sales agreement signed by both parties
3) wire the funds
Yep, that's right..

He backed out right before we signed the agreement. We agreed on a 5K deposit (non refundable). I was to hold the car until he saw it in person and at that point he could back out if he wished. But I wasn't going to take the car off the market until we both signed the agreement.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Surprised a dealer flaked on you, that's pretty rare. Your shipping cost was fine...

Agree completely. In a way it made me reconsider selling the car. Now I'm glad it worked out that way. A bit of a blessing...
yeah, it was a very weird phone call; he called me from a club in Miami at 11pm on Friday night! I had a bad feeling immediately, but went with it.

Your car looks amazing and you should absolutely not sell it! If I had the funds, it would be in my garage, but we are happy with our GT4, and it is relatively affordable for such a great performance machine. I am looking at a super clean 997.2 4S in Aqua next week; I love the color, but we really need 4 seats on our other car, and to swing yours, it would have meant no 4-seat 911 to accompany it!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:49 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Yep, that's right..

He backed out right before we signed the agreement. We agreed on a 5K deposit (non refundable). I was to hold the car until he saw it in person and at that point he could back out if he wished. But I wasn't going to take the car off the market until we both signed the agreement.
I feel your pain: I had a guy do that when I sold my manual 997.2 C2S in 2017. A guy flew across the country to see it, during which time I pushed other offers aside. I figured that anyone flying across the US to see a car would buy it, as it only had 12,000 miles and was very clean. Well, he flew out drove it, committed to buy it, then pulled back the next day when he decided he couldn't live with the copper undertones in Basalt Black during winter evening aspenglow light. Checking out the color in person bakc home would have saved him some time! It went to a very good home through an easy transaction a few weeks later, but that first guy was a real headache.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

I had the exact same experience recently when I listed my 991.2 for sale. Guy said he was going to pay me, he was going to pre-pay shipping so that I needed to pull the ad so that he didn't eat the shipping cost. I did so, then of course, he flaked (dealer in Florida; All Things Porsche). Said shipping was "too expensive"
This is an out-and-out bold-faced lie. Nobody in the car business EVER prepays for shipping.
He was offering the car to a buyer and wanted it off the market so the buyer couldn't find it himself.

Shameless plug here - if you guys want to deal with a straightforward dealer, whether it's buying or selling, drop me a line. I know almost as much about GT3s as Mooty and more than anyone else. We have buyers, and we know what the market is. And we don't play games, but we also require that our clients don't either.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:42 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
This is an out-and-out bold-faced lie. Nobody in the car business EVER prepays for shipping.
He was offering the car to a buyer and wanted it off the market so the buyer couldn't find it himself.

Shameless plug here - if you guys want to deal with a straightforward dealer, whether it's buying or selling, drop me a line. I know almost as much about GT3s as Mooty and more than anyone else. We have buyers, and we know what the market is. And we don't play games, but we also require that our clients don't either.
Agree with Doug's shameless plug. Bought a 3RS from him about 6 months ago. Easiest transaction ever and very honest in the transaction with what the car needed. NO BS and I wired the money the next day. He had it on a truck heading my way in 24 hours! I would not hesitate to buy a car from Doug again.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

True story. Those of us who have dealt with Doug can vouch for this statement...
Old 02-25-2019, 09:09 PM
KDAWG97M3
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
How you do anything, is how you do everything!!!! So I like to do a lot of research when looking at a particular car.

That being said, and being back on the buyers side here currently, I have seen a lot of BS from sellers of late (private parties, independents and Porsche Dealers all included).
Unfortunately, one needs to both pay up for a PPI and personally inspect the car yourself (yep it costs $$$)....The latter is logistically difficult when the car is miles away across the country. I will happily do it for the right car, but sellers need to give a guy time to do so.....sometimes the guy with the fastest bank transfer isn't the right buyer for your well cared for or modded car.

Also, it is extremely difficult to get complete info on a car on consignment, dealers don't know what mods are on a given car still (and say that they are there), and private parties still think the GT3 price bubble is still in effect.

So it looks like I will continue to sift through the $hit until I find a diamond in the rough (a well cared for car, honestly presented and represented, and at a fair market price). I am looking for a 997.2 GT3 as I feel 997.1 GT3's are currently overpriced ...coming in at pretty much 997.2 numbers.

That's my 2 cents!

Doug N

sell mine 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Great. Then the buyer backed out and I lost my ad! The guy sounded like the typical South Florida D-bag anyways: I can picture him now. Muscle shirt, slicked back hair, wearing Tom Ford aviators 24/7 with some bimbo airhead on his arm. Hopefully my car goes to a good home!

Thanks Doug! If I ever have a GT3 to sell, I will look you up
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 AM
KDAWG97M3
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

I bought a similar 07 in Nov. I think your price is fine. Maybe even a bit low. Unless you are more motivated... I strongly considered you car.

As others have said, RL isn’t the best place to sell a car.

Also, I would change your add. The pics and how they are organized are very poor. This is the number 1 item. I would get the car back to stock - remove the cage, remove the stickers, exhaust, etc. Not sure what you could do with the wheels but at least update the add to state that they are not stock. Have a better DME report.
thanks for the input..I guess.

Not sure what what you mean my pics are unorganized...just an fyi, the wheels are stock porsche GT3 wheels... not sure what you mean I need to state they aren’t stock...they were powder coated black...I have had more people contact me about trading wheels than buying the car ����

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...