Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 AM
ru_stupid2
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
I really want one. Can anyone comment on how hard the install is on a 997.1? I've spliced plenty of wires but I get nervous every time.
I put one in earlier this year and it’s a super easy install. The unit itself is great results wise, I saw a big improvement.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:33 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ru_stupid2
I put one in earlier this year and it’s a super easy install. The unit itself is great results wise, I saw a big improvement.
Is there plenty of wire to work with for the accelerometer splicing? Did you splice or crimp? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2020, 01:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,681 Likes on 4,241 Posts

Continued with reassembly. Feed pipe for the supercharger, supercharger, alternator, A/C compressor are all reinstalled and aligned with their clamps tightened. I'm waiting for the gasket sealant on the coolant plate and the oil filler cap to neck assembly to cure until tomorrow before going further. Tomorrow I'll smoke test the intake to make sure I don't have any vacuum leaks or other leaks in the AOS system.

My idea of cutting the custom filler neck and putting the top section on after getting the alternator into place worked. I have a virtually zero gap junction in the 2 sections of pipe held together by a tightly fitting 3" section of silicone hose. The top section is securely attached to the supercharger / alternator bracket and the bottom section has a tab that secures it to the block, so should hold fine. I tried to put a clamp around the silicone hose at the junction where the two pipes come together but was concerned about how close to the rear of the alternator the clamp would be and there also wasn't a very good angle to access it for tightening.

Engine is lifted back up and motor mounts reinstalled and torqued too.

As I put all this back together and struggle with getting everything positioned just perfectly so all the holes in all the brackets line up, it's remarkable how this setup was designed to shoehorn in there and be held in place securely with all the pulleys lining up. Glad I took a bunch of photos as it was coming apart or there's no way if be able to get it back together.

While I had the cats off, I drilled and had welded a couple bungs onto them. At some point I'm going to install wideband O2 sensors in both banks and drill and tap the caps on the intake manifolds to be able to monitor AFR numbers and boost on a PLX oled gauge. Until I get to that project, I'll just install the bung plugs with some anti-seize on the threads.

Starting to look like an engine again

Last edited by Petza914; 09-25-2020 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 323 Posts

^Damn, that is cramped. Its actually one of the things I enjoy about my 911 is how easy it is to work on.

What wideband set up are you going with?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:26 AM
ru_stupid2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Is there plenty of wire to work with for the accelerometer splicing? Did you splice or crimp? Thanks!
its pretty tight as it’s on the main harness, remove some of the harness tape, disconnect the plastic mounting clip that mounts the harnesss to the chassis , use a pick to pull the wire out a little from the harness. Only two wires to deal with so not too bad. I used the blue wire splicers. There’s a grounding point on the left side of the center housing at the lower corner, I used an eye connector.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
All I can say is that if I somehow ended up with a car in my garage looking like the one in the picture below I would just weigh my options on how to get rid of it with the least amount of $ lost. I do some wrenching myself but this is many moons above my pay grade. Can't believe you somehow put all that back together at home.

Thanks. Everyone needs an addiction. Some have chicks and blow - I have cars LOL, which are also cheaper in the long run and can take you from A to B. The challenge with this one is that I wasn't the one that took it apart, which makes it a lot more challenging. The 928 section of Rennlist is superb.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-25-2020 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ru_stupid2 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:58 AM
ru_stupid2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
I am not a fan of the silver dash console in the 997.1, but I don't really want to paint it so I tried a matte black carbon wrap. Just did the lower two units as I am thinking of replacing the PCM with an Android head. Better than silver but a little busy. I think it is going to come off.

thanks for sharing as I was considering doing the same. There may be too much contrast between the carbon and silver bits, I’m thinking it might look better if the surrounding silver were also wrapped. But maybe not, I have a hard time visualizing it.
I replaced my head unit with a KENWOOD DNR997XR and new amp, full featured unit, love it. I got the unit from Car Audio Innovations in Cali, great support and very knowledgeable on Porsche installs.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:12 AM
ru_stupid2
Rennlist Member

https://nrauto.com/product/porsche-9...-interior-kit/ carbon kit with some pics.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:35 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ru_stupid2
Is it really worth spending 4 grands on the looks inside if you have done it already? I love carbon fiber and I've visited more than enough websites for the CF upgrades but couldn't pull the trigger not being able to justify the price.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:47 PM
ru_stupid2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Is it really worth spending 4 grands on the looks inside if you have done it already? I love carbon fiber and I've visited more than enough websites for the CF upgrades but couldn't pull the trigger not being able to justify the price.
I agree and have spend some time doing the same. I'd rather spend that kind of money on performance upgrades.

however, my current itch is a CF rear wing
snuvet75 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:55 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Continued with reassembly. Feed pipe for the supercharger, supercharger, alternator, A/C compressor are all reinstalled and aligned with their clamps tightened. I'm waiting for the gasket sealant on the coolant plate and the oil filler cap to neck assembly to cure until tomorrow before going further. Tomorrow I'll smoke test the intake to make sure I don't have any vacuum leaks or other leaks in the AOS system.

My idea of cutting the custom filler neck and putting the top section on after getting the alternator into place worked. I have a virtually zero gap junction in the 2 sections of pipe held together by a tightly fitting 3" section of silicone hose. The top section is securely attached to the supercharger / alternator bracket and the bottom section has a tab that secures it to the block, so should hold fine. I tried to put a clamp around the silicone hose at the junction where the two pipes come together but was concerned about how close to the rear of the alternator the clamp would be and there also wasn't a very good angle to access it for tightening.

Engine is lifted back up and motor mounts reinstalled and torqued too.

As I put all this back together and struggle with getting everything positioned just perfectly so all the holes in all the brackets line up, it's remarkable how this setup was designed to shoehorn in there and be held in place securely with all the pulleys lining up. Glad I took a bunch of photos as it was coming apart or there's no way if be able to get it back together.

While I had the cats off, I drilled and had welded a couple bungs onto them. At some point I'm going to install wideband O2 sensors in both banks and drill and tap the caps on the intake manifolds to be able to monitor AFR numbers and boost on a PLX oled gauge. Until I get to that project, I'll just install the bung plugs with some anti-seize on the threads.

Starting to look like an engine again
Dear Petza, you are a lucky man. Why? Because I live far away from you. Otherwise, I would keep texting you until you allow me to go to your garage to see you work on it. hahaha.
BLU997 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 03:49 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by snuvet75
i don’t think carbon fiber looks good on our interiors, I like the aluma look much better.
snuvet75 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 04:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

With black interior, I really life carbon fiber. It breaks up the sea of black leather with something in a complementary color family and adds another texture. I have a lot of it in my car and then carried the theme to the outside with CF mirrors and CF vinyl stone guards and someday will strip the silver paint the first owner did off my CF wing and have it re-cleared. I'm adding Moshammer CF wrapped side skirts too.

Motopilot (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,359 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
i don’t think carbon fiber looks good on our interiors, I like the aluma look much better.
Everyone has a preference of course.

I would completely disagree about carbon fiber. In my opinion it can look great in / on a 997. It certainly can be overdone however. I do think it looks particularly good on cars with gray or black interiors - and especially so on cars with Gray, Silver, or Red exteriors.
Again - obviously just an opinion.

The aluminum look to me is past-tense / dated. Perhaps I've just seen too many 996's with it.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got a CF rear wing and manual shift ****. I like CF interior bits in moderation. I like body color painted interior bits in moderation more than anything, but Porsche acts like it is gold plated, so I haven't updated it.
snuvet75 (09-25-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?