Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 01:29 AM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Medford997
Do you have a tune as well? If so which?
none as of now. Debating on a custom dyno tune. Any pre-packaged tune(softronic, apr, etc) company I've spoken to advised against since I dont have stock parts and have some engine internal mods
Old 05-15-2020, 02:00 AM
Lastdragon
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts

Replaced the steering wheel on my 2007 Carrera S with one from a 2016 MECAN I found on eBay. Quick job, took me less than an hour. My interior is Cocoa and the MECAN color is Espresso. They are very close. I will see if the slight difference in color bothers me.

I took the car out for a test drive and the steering wheel feels much better than the sport wheel that was on the car.
Attached Images   
The following 4 users liked this post by Lastdragon:
darrenj (05-15-2020), irnnr (05-15-2020), myw (05-15-2020), tegraphile (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:23 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo2361
to be 100% honest, not sure. Unknown if PO had a gt3 TB or not. I didnt measure, but there is no ridge between the TB and plenum, car runs a ton smoother, and if it is in fact stock I'd gladly take a donation 82mm TB 😉
Glad to hear you are enjoying positive results with the IPD Plenum!

The IPD plenums have throttle body bolt patterns that only line up with specific throttle body sizes. For example the regular IPD plenum will only line up with 74mm stock throttle body bolt patterns. The "Competition Plenum 82mm" will only work the GT3 throttle body bolt patter. Since you replaced your stock black plastic plenum, then only the 74mm throttle body will fit the bolt pattern on the black plastic stock plenum.

The 74mm throttle body still functions and flows plenty of air to work great with the regular size IPD plenum. Surprised to hear Softronic and a few other tuners did not offer you a ecu tune option to work with all your mods .

enjoy in good health!
Old 05-15-2020, 10:43 AM
Porsche997.1
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I invested in a Dynavin display

I’m so happy with this conversion of a Porsche series 7" Touch Screen LCD Multimedia Navigation System Model Number:N7-PS-S Pro inclusive of the Dynavin iLink Pro, aka Apple Car Link 👌

Now my newly acquired 2007 997.1 is ready for a road trip as soon as we are allowed to travel freely within Greece 🇬🇷 by lifting circulation restrictions due to the #COVID-19 pandemic ❗️
Some pictures from the new «Office» 👌✅

The iPhone directory consisting of ca. 2,500 contacts was uploaded immediately and is a great asset for me 👌

The FM radio memory of 15 preselected stations is nice 👍 in conjunction with the radio List from which any station can be selected is an added bonus.

A demo screen of the onboard Maps app

My favorite Maps App is Google. Here I have saved many POI and is very familiar for using 👏

Other screen from my iPhone 📱

With the iPhone connected the true power of the system comes alive 🙏

Das Beste 👌✅😃 from Athens 🙏😎
The following users liked this post:
Medford997 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Glad to hear you are enjoying positive results with the IPD Plenum!

The IPD plenums have throttle body bolt patterns that only line up with specific throttle body sizes. For example the regular IPD plenum will only line up with 74mm stock throttle body bolt patterns. The "Competition Plenum 82mm" will only work the GT3 throttle body bolt patter. Since you replaced your stock black plastic plenum, then only the 74mm throttle body will fit the bolt pattern on the black plastic stock plenum.

The 74mm throttle body still functions and flows plenty of air to work great with the regular size IPD plenum. Surprised to hear Softronic and a few other tuners did not offer you a ecu tune option to work with all your mods .

enjoy in good health!
so I definitely have the 74mm. either way its so much more smooth than before.
as far as an ECU flash tune, I talked to probably 6 different companies that do them for a base 997.1 Carrera, and all of them had said since I've got the engine internals modded from a rebuild by vision motorsports (long story), and my intake/exhaust mods aren't a specific set (i.e. fabspeed, or other complete exhaust), they can't maximize the tune. I would get some benefit but it likely wouldn't be worth the $900-1200 that most of them cost. Since flash tuning is based on datalogging of hundreds of cars, it seems to me that since they probably haven't had many with same or similar quirks of mine, that I wouldn't get the full effect. Vision estimated a very liberal +60 crank HP given the internal work plus my mods. I'm not convinced its actually that much, but the car is noticeably faster.

mods so far:
engine internal: knife edged crank, ported and polished heads, 1qt larger oil sump.
external: IPD Plenum, Fabspeed dual cone intake, Borla headers (discontinued item), AWE 200cell cats, Borla mufflers (discontinued item).

in the chute: adjustable coilover suspension, suspension bushing refresh (90k mi on the chassis), better brakes, move to 19" wheels (I want OZ leggera HLTs, lighter than my stock 18s and look awesome in my opinion)

I've also got a used VF engineering supercharger kit that I'm debating using (I know all the purists are gonna scream blasphemy). tons of positive reviews, there's a supercharger group on FB as well - the group creator has over 50k mi on his with zero issues. It appears the most common issue with that kit is people changing the pulley size to increase boost and overpressuring their engine. keeping it as designed from the factory, theres practically no reported failures due to the SC or boost itself.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Medford997
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

as far as an ECU flash tune, I talked to probably 6 different companies that do them for a base 997.1 Carrera, and all of them had said since I've got the engine internals modded from a rebuild by vision motorsports (long story), and my intake/exhaust mods aren't a specific set (i.e. fabspeed, or other complete exhaust), they can't maximize the tune. I would get some benefit but it likely wouldn't be worth the $900-1200 that most of them cost. Since flash tuning is based on datalogging of hundreds of cars, it seems to me that since they probably haven't had many with same or similar quirks of mine, that I wouldn't get the full effect. Vision estimated a very liberal +60 crank HP given the internal work plus my mods. I'm not convinced its actually that much, but the car is noticeably faster.

mods so far:
engine internal: knife edged crank, ported and polished heads, 1qt larger oil sump.
external: IPD Plenum, Fabspeed dual cone intake, Borla headers (discontinued item), AWE 200cell cats, Borla mufflers (discontinued item).

in the chute: adjustable coilover suspension, suspension bushing refresh (90k mi on the chassis), better brakes, move to 19" wheels (I want OZ leggera HLTs, lighter than my stock 18s and look awesome in my opinion)

I've also got a used VF engineering supercharger kit that I'm debating using (I know all the purists are gonna scream blasphemy). tons of positive reviews, there's a supercharger group on FB as well - the group creator has over 50k mi on his with zero issues. It appears the most common issue with that kit is people changing the pulley size to increase boost and overpressuring their engine. keeping it as designed from the factory, theres practically no reported failures due to the SC or boost itself.

Ive been considering the VF supercharger kit as well. However it may lead to a divorce which would be much costly.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:33 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

mods so far:

You should definitely do the supercharger... as long as you don't do too much boost. I think VF says they only use like 7 lbs of boost pressure to ensure reliability while still making a good amount of additional power.

I would love to do one on my car but the cost is pretty high for a new one. If I ever decide to do the RWB 997 body kit, I think I would do a supercharger as well.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Originally Posted by mujeriega
You should definitely do the supercharger... as long as you don't do too much boost. I think VF says they only use like 7 lbs of boost pressure to ensure reliability while still making a good amount of additional power.

I would love to do one on my car but the cost is pretty high for a new one. If I ever decide to do the RWB 997 body kit, I think I would do a supercharger as well.
I lucked out and found a used kit for $3500, and in it I found that IPD plenum. dude downshifted from 5th to 2nd apparently and blew it and decided to sell. rule of thumb I guess is don't miss a shift lol. Another reason Im considering the SC, is sure I could sell mine and buy a turbo, but that's not nearly as unique, and id say if a 911 could be a sleeper, it'd be a base Carrera with a supercharger.

My curiosity about changing the pulley for more boost is this - from what I understand, smaller pulley = more boost. but the boost is proportional to RPM. so an unchecked smaller pulley would create more boost. would there be a way to have a relief valve to hold PSI no greater than 6 or 7 PSI? this would keep the boost level acceptable for the tolerances that VF engineering has figured out, but you'd get to that 6 or 7 PSI sooner rather than right at redline.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 55 Posts

Picked up the Targa yesterday from getting rims painted Aurum Gold ( done at the behest of my 13 y/o son) & exhaust tips powdered coated black and took it for several spirited! Based on feedback before the rim colour change, the idea was mostly hated on. Shop nailed the colour perfectly & it looks great. Got lots of love on them yesterday while driving & best of all my son is loving his choice! We are still hoping to source a Ducktail soon.

The following 4 users liked this post by Freakhead:
Jaws1 (05-15-2020), Lastdragon (05-16-2020), Medford997 (05-15-2020), qikqbn (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 02:37 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 323 Posts

The best part about a SC 911 is it still has the NA sound track.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:40 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I lucked out and found a used kit for $3500, and in it I found that IPD plenum. dude downshifted from 5th to 2nd apparently and blew it and decided to sell. rule of thumb I guess is don't miss a shift lol. Another reason Im considering the SC, is sure I could sell mine and buy a turbo, but that's not nearly as unique, and id say if a 911 could be a sleeper, it'd be a base Carrera with a supercharger.

My curiosity about changing the pulley for more boost is this - from what I understand, smaller pulley = more boost. but the boost is proportional to RPM. so an unchecked smaller pulley would create more boost. would there be a way to have a relief valve to hold PSI no greater than 6 or 7 PSI? this would keep the boost level acceptable for the tolerances that VF engineering has figured out, but you'd get to that 6 or 7 PSI sooner rather than right at redline.
I think you'd do this via a custom ECU tune after you get it installed and not through a change with the pulley. I guess you could still change the pulley if you want and have the custom tuner to effectively make it safe at higher RPM's.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:47 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Freakhead
Picked up the Targa yesterday from getting rims painted Aurum Gold ( done at the behest of my 13 y/o son) & exhaust tips powdered coated black and took it for several spirited! Based on feedback before the rim colour change, the idea was mostly hated on. Shop nailed the colour perfectly & it looks great. Got lots of love on them yesterday while driving & best of all my son is loving his choice! We are still hoping to source a Ducktail soon.

Good choice on color combo. Sometimes different is really good. Kudos to your son.
Freakhead (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 06:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 601 Likes on 357 Posts

looks great - Imo the color match is good and id leave it as is.

normally even the oem stuff doesnt always match properly from steering wheel to dash to seats to the plastics etc etc - but its close enough where you ignore it.

Originally Posted by Lastdragon
Replaced the steering wheel on my 2007 Carrera S with one from a 2016 MECAN I found on eBay. Quick job, took me less than an hour. My interior is Cocoa and the MECAN color is Espresso. They are very close. I will see if the slight difference in color bothers me.

I took the car out for a test drive and the steering wheel feels much better than the sport wheel that was on the car.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 601 Likes on 357 Posts

congrats and enjoy!
Originally Posted by Porsche997.1
I’m so happy with this conversion of a Porsche series 7" Touch Screen LCD Multimedia Navigation System Model Number:N7-PS-S Pro inclusive of the Dynavin iLink Pro, aka Apple Car Link 👌

Now my newly acquired 2007 997.1 is ready for a road trip as soon as we are allowed to travel freely within Greece 🇬🇷 by lifting circulation restrictions due to the #COVID-19 pandemic ❗️
Some pictures from the new «Office» 👌✅

The iPhone directory consisting of ca. 2,500 contacts was uploaded immediately and is a great asset for me 👌

The FM radio memory of 15 preselected stations is nice 👍 in conjunction with the radio List from which any station can be selected is an added bonus.

A demo screen of the onboard Maps app

My favorite Maps App is Google. Here I have saved many POI and is very familiar for using 👏

Other screen from my iPhone 📱

With the iPhone connected the true power of the system comes alive 🙏

Das Beste 👌✅😃 from Athens 🙏😎
PPS (05-25-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 08:39 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts
Default new clear stone guards

Since going to black wheels, my black magnetic stone guards no longer looked right, and I was tired or taking them on and off for washes. So...

I installed new Xpel clear stone guards. Took 5 minutes per side. Using the baby shampoo + water spray bottle approach, this could not have been easier. Instead of buying a special squeegee, I found using the head of a silicone Kitchen Aid mixer spatula had just the right straights, curves and flex to do the job.

Other than the slightly visible edge, they are perfectly clear and bubble free. This was silly easy.

Ironman88 (05-15-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?