RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Wash
Clay
Polish
Wash
Ceramic Coat

Not perfect, but will hopefully help keep this daily driver cleaner.
Looks amazing! Nice work.
Old 06-30-2019 | 09:58 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

DIY ceramic coat? If so, what product?
Old 06-30-2019 | 10:04 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Seconded.
Old 06-30-2019 | 11:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I used Ceramic Shield on mine as a test ... Quick job with decon wash three times but no clay bar.

It went on easy and I'm happy with the results but would suggest the clay bar for next time. While the surface is slippery you can feel the defects the clay bar would have addressed.

I then used it on my F250 and am happy there as well.

I tried some DIY stuff a couple years ago and was absolutely unimpressed. If this stuff is an indicator the ceramic coatings have gotten better for the backyard mechanics. But I still need to see how well this holds up ... It's been on for only 6 weeks.

FWIW the car in the picture is half way through it's fourth drive day. Another car in the group lost the side vinyls twice ... The ceramic was too slippery for the vinyl to stick. That car was done professionally.

2010 C4S Midnight Metallic Blue 123K miles
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2019 | 03:00 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Got the 997 home, from a 4-day solo drive - Vancouver to San Francisco via Interstate 5. Hung out for a day or so, then returned home via the coast.

Unfortunately, took out way more wildlife returning home through the forests
(notice, front lip significantly cracked after running over "something" at high velocity )

One of numerous photos from this trip.
Old 07-01-2019 | 09:44 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Replaced the triangular steering wheel with a 997.2 wheel
Horn doesn't work though

Old 07-01-2019 | 10:23 AM
Hueneme997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
Replaced the triangular steering wheel with a 997.2 wheel
Horn doesn't work though

Looks great!
i made the sane swap sbout a month ago but with a MF wheel, I didn’t have a new control module and thought o would give it a shot anyway. After the install the only thing that worked was my horn. After I installed the new control module everything works. Are you sure you snakes the airbag in ok?
Old 07-01-2019 | 10:43 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by Hueneme997
Looks great!
i made the sane swap sbout a month ago but with a MF wheel, I didn’t have a new control module and thought o would give it a shot anyway. After the install the only thing that worked was my horn. After I installed the new control module everything works. Are you sure you snakes the airbag in ok?
I think so. The airbag slid in easily, and when i depress the horn the whole unit easily moves back to the original position.
Any conclusive way of testing whether the airbag wiring is in the right location?
Old 07-01-2019 | 11:07 AM
Hueneme997
Advanced

I think so. The airbag slid in easily, and when i depress the horn the whole unit easily moves back to the original position.
Any conclusive way of testing whether the airbag wiring is in the right location?
Well it really only goes in one way and if you got the 2 connectors wrong I’m sure you would have the airbag light on!
The round airbag pops out super easy unlike the triangle, pop it out and check the blade connector that grounds out the horn?
Should be a fuse also that I would check. Yours should be the easiest of all not having MF to contend with. Strange
Old 07-01-2019 | 11:15 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Well it really only goes in one way and if you got the 2 connectors wrong I’m sure you would have the airbag light on!
The round airbag pops out super easy unlike the triangle, pop it out and check the blade connector that grounds out the horn?
Should be a fuse also that I would check. Yours should be the easiest of all not having MF to contend with. Strange
I am pretty sure I connected the cables the right way.
But I read somewhere that if the cables are not correctly seated in the designated "channel", this may obstruct the movement of the airbag (and prevent the horn from working) ?
Old 07-01-2019 | 11:23 AM
Hueneme997
Advanced

I am pretty sure I connected the cables the right way.
But I read somewhere that if the cables are not correctly seated in the designated "channel", this may obstruct the movement of the airbag (and prevent the horn from working) ?
Yes I read the same thing, as long as the airbag moves freely it should be fine. The wires have the factory bend in them and follow the side of the airbag so as long as you don’t just shove it in and it moves freely that should not be an issue
I would pop it out and have a look.
Where are you located?
Old 07-01-2019 | 11:54 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Reflecting on life without it.

It was easier to wait all that time before buying the 911 than it is to wait for it to make it across the ocean.
Old 07-01-2019 | 11:57 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I decided to try Nano Bond which I picked up Amazon. I'm giving it another day to cure and then will give it a rinse to see whether it performs as expected. I'll give an update after, since that's the real test.

It is applied with a sponge wrapped with a microfiber cloth in small sections (like 1/4 of the hood) and then quickly buffed out. Make sure you have an extra microfiber cloth or two for buffing. It will show a bit of iridescence if it needs some extra buffing.

I'm going to apply Turtle Wax Ice seal n shine over top after I check how the Nano Bond works on its own. The reviews on the Turtle Wax product are very positive and it should make a good complimentary top coat.

I wasn't trying to take this car to show car level. I was able to get a good portion of the swirls that bugged me out of the paint, but would have spent a few days on paint correction to get all of them. Unfortunately it's previous owners hadn't wrapped the nose and there are rock chips that would require a respray. My goal is for this to hold up to daily driving and make it a little easier to keep this black car clean. I plan to keep the car a long time, so at some point, I'll address the front end and wrap it.
Old 07-01-2019 | 12:49 PM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Yes I read the same thing, as long as the airbag moves freely it should be fine. The wires have the factory bend in them and follow the side of the airbag so as long as you don’t just shove it in and it moves freely that should not be an issue
I would pop it out and have a look.
Where are you located?
Read a bit more, and this is what I came up with:

- old non-mf wheel to new non-mf wheel: coding in PIWIS required (switch on mf)
- old mf-wheel to new non-mf wheel: no coding, no module required
- old mf or non-mf wheel to new mf wheel: new module required

Located in Belgium
Old 07-01-2019 | 12:50 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
I decided to try Nano Bond which I picked up Amazon. I'm giving it another day to cure and then will give it a rinse to see whether it performs as expected. I'll give an update after, since that's the real test.

It is applied with a sponge wrapped with a microfiber cloth in small sections (like 1/4 of the hood) and then quickly buffed out. Make sure you have an extra microfiber cloth or two for buffing. It will show a bit of iridescence if it needs some extra buffing.

I'm going to apply Turtle Wax Ice seal n shine over top after I check how the Nano Bond works on its own. The reviews on the Turtle Wax product are very positive and it should make a good complimentary top coat.

I wasn't trying to take this car to show car level. I was able to get a good portion of the swirls that bugged me out of the paint, but would have spent a few days on paint correction to get all of them. Unfortunately it's previous owners hadn't wrapped the nose and there are rock chips that would require a respray. My goal is for this to hold up to daily driving and make it a little easier to keep this black car clean. I plan to keep the car a long time, so at some point, I'll address the front end and wrap it.
I typically spray on Optimum Opti-Seal once a month or so as the final step when washing the car. It's really easy to apply. I know we aren't talking anywhere near the same "level" as the ceramic type sealants but it's cheap and easy to apply. Never tried any of the ceramics although I would be interested to if they work and last say 6+ months. It seldomly rains here in the months I drive the Porsche so I can't really comment on if it helps or not in keeping the car clean as I typically am just washing dust and accumulated environmental junk off of it. I usually wash with no-rinse wash in my garage and I can get bugs off the front end with little effort.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?