Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 01:16 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
What foam detergent you use. The ones I used from Chemical Guys seems to strip wax.
Which soap are you using from Chemical Guys? Their Clean Slate and Citrus Wash & Gloss do but most of the others do not.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:21 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Not sure I can help you.

I did the ceramic coating about the same time I started using the foam cannon. Chemical Guys does not affect the ceramic coating. But if I do a quick foam cannon and spray off car wash, I did notice some residue from their honeydew snow foam.

Using Adams now, have only done foam cannon plus two bucket. Never had an issue with residue from Chemical guys when I did a 2 bucket wash. Adams stuff is super foamy in a bucket also. And I had no residue issues with their product in foam plus two bucket either.
I'm not a believer in cleaning by only using a foam cannon and spraying it off. I believe you always need to 2 bucket it... the foam cannon is really the optional. Also, as far as residue or anything like that, I'm a big fan of detail spray as a drying agent while I towel it off.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:17 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
I'm not a believer in cleaning by only using a foam cannon and spraying it off. I believe you always need to 2 bucket it... the foam cannon is really the optional. Also, as far as residue or anything like that, I'm a big fan of detail spray as a drying agent while I towel it off.
Feel free when its a high of 37F degrees outside and the first day you've seen in a couple weeks where washing is feasible. In that situation, I do a rinse/presoak, undercarriage rinse (if needed), foam cannon, pressure washer rinse, dry. It goes back in a heated garage, but I do have to worry about water freezing on the driveway. Sometimes I'll even go up the street to the neighborhood car wash and wash it in their stalls. In an extreme case, I'll even go through a brushless drive through car wash in my area.

My car is daily driven in a climate with snow, rain, wind, dust and pollen. I take care of it, but my life doesn't revolve around washing a car. Sometimes it needs a wash and I have enough time for a foam cannon, rinse and dry. You might not believe in it, but the car comes out 99% cleaner than it started. And the foam cannon is much more effective for removing road spray than just spraying it with water and it doesn't risk scratching the paint when there is road spray and grit stuck to the surface.

I do have my questions about the chemical guys stuff though. I've done a few coatings of Turtle Wax ice seal-n-shine on my wife's car while I've been waiting for better weather and time available to do a ceramic coating on her car. Look up the reviews on the Turtle Wax Ice Seal-n-shine where it seems to stand up really well to many chemicals. Washing it with the chemical guys honeydew snow foam, it seems to only last one or two washes. This is not their stripping detergent. I don't know if it is because it has been parked outside, or because of the wash detergent, but I haven't seen it last as well as I would expect.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:49 PM
irnnr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

love the black wheels with machined lip! was that a mod or the factory option?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:39 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheFBW2204
Such a beautiful color.

Originally Posted by irnnr
love the black wheels with machined lip! was that a mod or the factory option?
If they are like mine, they are painted GT silver on the lip. Mine are painted basalt black to match my car.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 PM
ThreeFiftySix
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks! I'm not the original owner but I believe it was painted to match the car. The interior was painted in the same color as the exterior. I think it looks pretty good.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Tackled the infamous Green Hell yesterday

First time with the Porsche, had ridden there a few times on my motorcycles before.

The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Not my exact car, but nearly my exact spec, year, model etc.. 2006 Arctic Silver Carrera S at local STL dealership..

Im just in love with how they cleaned up and treat the older ladies, even though right next to them are the newest coolest models...it looks so proper there!

and it brought back alot of memories of when I saw mine (same car, stock) for the first time.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I do have my questions about the chemical guys stuff though. I've done a few coatings of Turtle Wax ice seal-n-shine on my wife's car while I've been waiting for better weather and time available to do a ceramic coating on her car. Look up the reviews on the Turtle Wax Ice Seal-n-shine where it seems to stand up really well to many chemicals. Washing it with the chemical guys honeydew snow foam, it seems to only last one or two washes. This is not their stripping detergent. I don't know if it is because it has been parked outside, or because of the wash detergent, but I haven't seen it last as well as I would expect.
Yup, honeydew snow foam was what I used. No more, even polymer wax won;t last a couple of washes before being stripped off.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:02 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Yup, honeydew snow foam was what I used. No more, even polymer wax won;t last a couple of washes before being stripped off.
I have had the same issue with their honeydew. Dropped it after one bottle.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:43 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Feel free when its a high of 37F degrees outside and the first day you've seen in a couple weeks where washing is feasible. In that situation, I do a rinse/presoak, undercarriage rinse (if needed), foam cannon, pressure washer rinse, dry. It goes back in a heated garage, but I do have to worry about water freezing on the driveway. Sometimes I'll even go up the street to the neighborhood car wash and wash it in their stalls. In an extreme case, I'll even go through a brushless drive through car wash in my area.

My car is daily driven in a climate with snow, rain, wind, dust and pollen. I take care of it, but my life doesn't revolve around washing a car. Sometimes it needs a wash and I have enough time for a foam cannon, rinse and dry. You might not believe in it, but the car comes out 99% cleaner than it started. And the foam cannon is much more effective for removing road spray than just spraying it with water and it doesn't risk scratching the paint when there is road spray and grit stuck to the surface.

In the case of washing your car without the 2 bucket due to cold temperature, my point is that you need some kind of agitation on the surface to be able to remove the gunk and technically you do have this to some extent with your towel. However, I'd go with waterless wash / detail spray as you towel off the car in the heated garage so that it will help prevent scratching, make it easier not to leave water spots and also gives a light coat of protection. You could use ONR for that which dilutes pretty well... personally I use Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash which works well and is cheap as well.

As far as the CG Honeydew snow foam, I have the same stuff and have not had the issue on my sealant (Jescar Powerlock+) or wax (CG Buttery Wet Wax). The wax doesn't last very long anyway and is my sacrificial layer for my sealant. With this combo, I've had my sealant last for more than a year. Now maybe it's the fact I live in AZ and don't deal with snow, salt and heavy rains but I do deal with a good amount of dust / dirt from the desert and wash the car at least monthly to get this stuff off.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:55 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have had the same issue with their honeydew. Dropped it after one bottle.
In my experience with a daily driver, waxes don't tend to last very long regardless of whether you wash it frequently or not. I'm usually seeing about a month... maybe longer if I don't park her out in the elements much. How long are you seeing the wax last through washes before it's gone?
Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Sounds like my experience is consistent with yours then. I'll try to test something with the Adams, but my 997 won't work as the ceramic coating isn't affected. You can't strip it with a soap and it beads so well it is difficult to tell if a wax or sealant made any change. Seems like that might be helpful for those with wax and I can test it on my wife's car which needs washed tonight).

The folks at Adams did say that the soap I'm using is the same as their mega-foam product if anyone has experience with that one. If not, I'll give some feedback in a couple weeks.
The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (10-11-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:14 PM
997GTScab
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful photos!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:27 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Added caliper spacers for big rotor upgrade on front axle. From 330mm oem rotor size to the Turbo 350mm rotor size.
changed oil and filter. Took some pics.

The following 3 users liked this post by qikqbn:
chuckgm3 (10-19-2019), jayi836 (10-14-2019), PhillyNate (10-15-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?